Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hutt on Hutt action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

that awful man posted:

Holovid: Furry Fury

:colbert:

Not in my G-canon.

DrWhom
Jul 16, 2010

"Hot Kowakian Monkey Spunk"

:stare:

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
So I just finished Deceived a few minutes ago. I have to say that I thought Fatal Alliance was a stronger book overall, but I liked the plotline (or at least half of it) from Deceived more. Giving Malgus some characterization before SWTOR comes out was a good idea, even if he's really just ANGRY SITH. Aryn was a decent Jedi character struggling with right/wrong, though I felt the Jedi main character in Fatal Alliance did a better job with struggling against the Dark Side.

It was a decent enough read, though it started off incredibly slow and I struggled getting into it. I figure I'll read Shadows of Mindor now (had it in my bag), then... I really don't know. Revan doesn't come out until November so...

Edit: Read a few chapters of Mindor and just had a had time getting into it. I'll return to it later. Outbound Flight now, instead!

Tensokuu fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 28, 2011

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
What I want to know about Fatal Alliance is simply this: does it address the basic flaw in all these "auction" stories (i.e., "if this Macguffin is so great, why aren't the auctioneers using it for themselves?") Because if it doesn't, then I'm not interested.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Fatal Alliance -- from what I remember, anyhow -- is basically both the Jedi and Sith after these super powerful robots. They're dealt with at the end of the book and it still leaves the Order and the Sith at odds.

The tie-in novels are more there to introduce the lore characters for SWTOR and give them some background/personality. That in mind they do a good job.

They're not the pinnacle of science fiction, nor are they the best EU books out there. That being said, they're no Crystal Star, either. Kinda campy, middle of the road EU. Without bugfucking.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

astr0man posted:

It looks like the whole Bantam era catalog of books is being released on Kindle in a couple days. Here's the first x-wing book:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-X-Wing-Squadron-ebook/dp/B00513HXBA/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2

This is a very good thing, because the X-Wing books are no longer going to be in print. So this means new people will be able to buy them. My younger brother just got into reading Star Wars books (he loved the Zahn stuff, hated Shadows of the Empire) and I told him to try the X-Wing books. Which turned out to be kind of a mean thing to tell him, because they looked like they were going to be a bit harder to find soon. (Amazon apparently only has 18 new copies of Rogue Squadron in hard copy left.)

Good news all around, and I don't even have a Kindle.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I just use the kindle app on my phone most of the time. I do have a real kindle otherwise for trips where plugging in the phone all the time isn't practical, though.

So far I've re-bought the Thrawn trilogy and the Wraith Squadron trilogy.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Faerunner posted:

And Ultima Online marches on. :smugdog:

Dont forget the 1998 classic "WWII Online".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Dont forget the 1998 classic "WWII Online".

Wait, are you kidding? That is still running?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

Wait, are you kidding? That is still running?

https://www.battlegroundeurope.com/

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

ZeeToo posted:

There is a "Rogue Squadron" series, but it's comic books. "X-Wing" is a nine-book series, the first four of which (Rogue Squadron, Wedge's Gamble, The Krytos Trap, and The Bacta War) are specifically about Rogue Squadron.
It should probably be said that the comic series is in the same vein as the book series, and the books use the comic as the backstory for a lot of minor characters and events. If you can stand to read comics (you're already reading Star Wars books, just admit you're a nerd), they're not a bad read. Also, it has Darth Vader playing with dolls and Space PTSD.

And the best way to kill a Dark Jedi ever.

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 28, 2011

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
I remember the Thrawn trilogy being among my favorite EU stuff. How do they hold up now if you go back and try to re-read them?

Also, I think the EU lost me when a bunch of Jedi "threw" a fleet of star destroyers in Darksaber because "size matters not" or whatever. I had stopped reading at the Thrawn stuff with Flimm or whatever, and missed the whole Yuzan Vong thing, and then I read the whole Jacen Solo/Darth Caedus bit (which I liked the first half of).

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

LLJKSiLk posted:

I remember the Thrawn trilogy being among my favorite EU stuff. How do they hold up now if you go back and try to re-read them?
They're still considered the best of the EU by pretty much everybody. They're still quite enjoyable.

And yeah, we all know what you mean about Darksaber. Darksaber was...it was...

...it was Darksaber. That's pretty much all you can say about that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

LLJKSiLk posted:

Quite well, actually. Zahn has a couple of "author-isms" that leap out at you (take a drink every time a character responds with the word "Point"!) but overall they're still some of the best stuff in the EU.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Slantedfloors posted:

Also, it has Darth Vader playing with dolls

The EU is ripping off Spaceballs now? Shameful.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
If you're disrespecting Darksaber up in here, we're gonna have to have words. :colbert:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

that awful man posted:

The EU is ripping off Spaceballs now? Shameful.

We really need a "PYF EU pictures" thread.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Powered Descent posted:

Quite well, actually. Zahn has a couple of "author-isms" that leap out at you (take a drink every time a character responds with the word "Point"!) but overall they're still some of the best stuff in the EU.

I think Stackpole has a habit of his characters saying "Agreed" all the time, which annoyed me to no end. I still love his books though (still have all my X-Wing books, and the EU ones I want to own, although I'm glad they're all coming out for Kindle)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That kid is totally going be like 'gently caress you Ken, got mine'.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

ZeeToo posted:

If you're disrespecting Darksaber up in here, we're gonna have to have words. :colbert:

You're a bad person.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

SeanBeansShako posted:

That kid is totally going be like 'gently caress you Ken, got mine'.

Later, he becomes a Vader-idolizing serial killer who is also a prince.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Then he tries to betray his own sister to the Empire just so he can watch her die, so she bashes his head in with a rock and escapes.

Best EU Character Ever. :smug:

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

hannibal posted:

I think Stackpole has a habit of his characters saying "Agreed" all the time, which annoyed me to no end. I still love his books though (still have all my X-Wing books, and the EU ones I want to own, although I'm glad they're all coming out for Kindle)

In the same way, it kind of annoys me how Zahn likes to use "cute" as meaning something sly or devious. At first I thought it was just a verbal characteristic for Mara Jade which was fine, but after going through most of his SW books, he finds a way to slip it in everywhere.

But it's ok because he's Timothy Zahn.

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

hannibal posted:

That's because Stackpole almost writes every character the same way. Any time anyone has an internal monologue (which Stackpole also overuses) they sound the same and tend to come off as a needlessly cocky rear end in a top hat. Corran horn is everyone. :psyduck:

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

I happen to like Corran Horn. Wanna fight about it? :colbert:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I thought most of the early X-wing comics were "eh" at best. But the latter ones, once the Isard-Pestage-Fel plot shows up, are really good, some of the best Star Wars comics has to offer. It's a shame it didn't go on longer, as apparently both Stackpole and Zahn had ideas to continue it.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Tensokuu posted:

I happen to like Corran Horn. Wanna fight about it? :colbert:

I like him too, I really enjoyed I, Jedi. That book is all about Corran Horn being a smug bastard and badass, written in first person, AND partially taking place in the backstory of Kevin J. Anderson's Jedi Academy trilogy basically having Corran go 'wtf' at everyone and everything going on.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Well I guess I hate myself a lot this week because I've rewatched I, II, and III and I will say that the funniest moment in the entire saga is when Padme and the clonetrooper fall onto the sand dune. After they both stand up Padme shouts at the trooper to hurry up and get a transport we have to get to that hangar.....HURRY!! And then they both run in the same direction because they are both lost in the middle of the god drat desert.

Sorry to derail the EU talk but I want to make sure everyone appreciates this scene when it rereleased in 3D in like two years.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Silver Brushes posted:

Well I guess I hate myself a lot this week because I've rewatched I, II, and III and I will say that the funniest moment in the entire saga is when Padme and the clonetrooper fall onto the sand dune. After they both stand up Padme shouts at the trooper to hurry up and get a transport we have to get to that hangar.....HURRY!! And then they both run in the same direction because they are both lost in the middle of the god drat desert.

The hanger neither she nor any of the other protagonists could have possibly known about at that point in the script because Dooku hadn't led them there yet?

Oh screw it, here's a flying R2-D2 being ridden by Anakin Skywalker because why not

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Someone making this must be aware of how ridiculous this is.
I'm not going to go on about how 'R2 didn't fly in the OT, therefore he shouldn't cannot fly now'
:goonsay: crap. R2 has always been Star Wars's get out-of-trouble maguffin, but come on!

Is there any less heroic way to escape something? Anakin can run incredibly fast and jump a decent distance, does he rerally need to piggy-back on a flying trashcan?

Also, on the subject of that episode (not spoilered because you should really see it coming); Why on earth did they take that gigantic murderbeast that is proven lightsaber-proof to the most densely populated planet in known space? Surely dumping it in the wilds of Onderon or on Tatooine for study would have made more sense, but nooooooo, take the enormous nigh-unstopable monster to the galactic centre of commerce, population and government because it's 'a long time ago' and we haven't seen Jurasic Park 2 yet.

Everyone in the PT/clone wars era is a loving idiot.

that awful man
Feb 18, 2007

YOSPOS, bitch

Captain von Trapp posted:

Oh screw it, here's a flying R2-D2 being ridden by Anakin Skywalker because why not

Do you have this in wallpaper size?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Hope: the EU has none

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Cool poster, but that expression really doesn't inspire trust.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

"She wants to do WHAT with me?"

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
I just started reading the Thrawn trilogy and it's pretty cool revisiting books I really enjoyed reading when I was like 8 :3:

Strong Female fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 29, 2011

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Is there any sort of "What if" story that depicts what things would have been like had Anakin never turned to the dark side? It'd be cool to see all the cool poo poo he could've done if he kept his body and reached his full potential. Also, what the galaxy would have been like with a good Skywalker around instead of the Empire, or fighting the Empire at least.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Reinanigans posted:

Is there any sort of "What if" story that depicts what things would have been like had Anakin never turned to the dark side? It'd be cool to see all the cool poo poo he could've done if he kept his body and reached his full potential. Also, what the galaxy would have been like with a good Skywalker around instead of the Empire, or fighting the Empire at least.
Anakin would stand by and let Windu off Palps (or even help out), and, while the Separatists would have been handily cleaned up, the Republic would continue to rot. 60 years later the Yuuzhan Vong roll on through and wipe out a galaxy that was even less prepared to face them than the "real" timeline.

The end.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Torael_7 posted:

Anakin would stand by and let Windu off Palps (or even help out), and, while the Separatists would have been handily cleaned up, the Republic would continue to rot. 60 years later the Yuuzhan Vong roll on through and wipe out a galaxy that was even less prepared to face them than the "real" timeline.

The end.

The Vong throw such a wrench into every single EU scenario, I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I'd love a Palpatine-era Empire vs Vong short story or something... :smith: God I'm nerdy.