Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

The Merry Marauder posted:

I have a riddle for you! What does 94 damage and jumps 120 meters?

No, besides Dick Fosbury doing a Death From Above.

Does this have anything to do with the HBIIC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Longinus00 posted:

Does this have anything to do with the HBIIC?

It has jump jets and doesn't need to take the "stairs"?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

This Light of Mankind has been brought to you by our sponsor, Fucktons Of Medium Lasers.

The Defiance Industries B3M Medium Laser! Benchmark for medium lasers everywhere.

The B3M: for when have an extra ton and you don't know what to use it for.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

It has jump jets and doesn't need to take the "stairs"?

So what's that got to do with the HBIIC?

VVV

I'm asking what his reply has to do with my post about the HBIIC being out of the fight for the first few turns. I don't think the HBIIC being in the fight would have changed the other mechs any?

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 28, 2011

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Longinus00 posted:

I'm hoping this is a real hiccup of reading comprehension and not a poker-faced joke. Because actually breaking it down would make it less funny. Wait, no, I got that backwards.

EDIT: Well, the way you worded the replied-to post implied that terrain would be an issue for the Hunchback.

Runa fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 28, 2011

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Longinus00 posted:

Well, I dunno. What does the fact that the Hunchback can jump off the cliff and arrive just in time to hollow out the ComGuard like John Holmes as they approach have to do with the Hunchback?

I mean, there's even a rocky lump right there for it to hide behind until the right time to unleash its Springing Sodomy Strike....

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Well, I dunno. What does the fact that the Hunchback can jump off the cliff and arrive just in time to hollow out the ComGuard like John Holmes as they approach have to do with the Hunchback?

I mean, there's even a rocky lump right there for it to hide behind until the right time to unleash its Springing Sodomy Strike....

Dear lord, that sounds so awful that if my current tabletop RPG character weren't an unarmed combatant at present, I'd have to use it. But as it is, I'm not fisting someone in the rear end just to get a three-dice stunt. gently caress the experience point.

PTN, the lines are great. Much better than the dots, which were themselves a vast improvement over sod-all in terms of tracking unit movement visually.

CrabGuard. Give no fucks. Give no fucks with extreme prejudice!

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Well Hunchback problems aside, I'll be very disappointed if this mission ends without at least one mech getting decapitated by an AC20 or Gauss Rifle.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

Chicken Slayer posted:

Well Hunchback problems aside, I'll be very disappointed if this mission ends without at least one mech getting decapitated by an AC20 or Gauss Rifle.

With any luck, it'll turn into a race between the CrabGuard and the Hunchie to take heads and give no fucks, culminating in both of them headcapping each other mutually (twice and quadruple over, respectively,) in the last round.

I want to see some mother-humping CARNAGE!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I want to see some mother-humping CARNAGE!

Tastefully narrated and annotated, of course.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Tastefully narrated and annotated, of course.

Of course! Just because it's 'mechs brutally headcapping each other doesn't mean we have to be uncivil about it.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Thanks for the lines, PTN. That's pretty much what I was hoping for from the start! :dance:

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Their advance was ragged—perhaps even a bit disorganized, but demi-precentor O’Donnely remained proud of his command. It was hard to reign in their eagerness when the HPG was so close. With any luck, he wouldn’t need to spur them to further action.

Hmm. Perhaps PTN is subtly trying to tell us to coordinate a little better.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

Hmm. Perhaps PTN is subtly trying to tell us to coordinate a little better.

"One of his mechwarriors had fallen asleep and auto-ejected, but a replacement had been dispatched promptly, and the remaining substitutes were watching eagerly from the bench."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mr. Ed and that pegasus are ready to wreck poo poo up.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Any reason one of the Clan 'Mechs has a line titled "Mechwarrior Player"? Or is that a typo PTN?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

hunchback is a glass cannon, carve it up. stay out of short range of the ultra ac/20s and it dies in two 3 turns. it can only get a +2 movement mod at most.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Tempest_56 posted:

I am still sad there is no canonical Rocket Carrier tank.

Don't vehicles need enough heat sinks to fire all their weapons and stay cool?

If so a RL tank is a horrible idea.

Poptartsninja posted:

F 5 Unknown Quad 2
Weight: 40 tons (Medium)
Mechwarrior: Pilot 3, Gunnery 2
Mechwarrior Name: Dash
Mechwarrior Status: OK!
Armament: Unknown
Critical Damage: None!

Also sorry, guys. I know who I'm rooting for.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 28, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Not going to lie: I am pulling for the clanners. They need a supporter. Time to make it 3-3 against these freebirths :smug:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

raverrn posted:

Don't vehicles need enough heat sinks to fire all their weapons and stay cool?

Only energy weapons, thankfully. Which is why an ERPPC version of the Schrek is effectively unbuildable - 21 tons for weapons, 35 tons for heat sinks, 2.5 tons for the turret mechanisms. 58.5 tons just to get the weapons load in there. Even with an XL Fusion engine, you have a mere .5 ton left over for armor.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Tempest_56 posted:

Only energy weapons, thankfully. Which is why an ERPPC version of the Schrek is effectively unbuildable - 21 tons for weapons, 35 tons for heat sinks, 2.5 tons for the turret mechanisms. 58.5 tons just to get the weapons load in there. Even with an XL Fusion engine, you have a mere .5 ton left over for armor.

Which is why the upgraded "Schreck PPC Carrier" is actually the Alcorn Heavy Tank. 3 Gauss Rifles.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

PoptartsNinja posted:

F2 Unknown Quad 1

Mechwarrior Name: Ed

Hah. But does he talk?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
For my fellows to help plan I am (unsurprisingly) charging straight forward to 1429.

Next turn, comrades! Unless you're all still out of position, anyway (which is looking likely)

R5 if you want to do an island hopping campaign you can jump to 0932 then to 0927 and be unshootable for a while to work your way up.

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 28, 2011

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
I'll be in 1730

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Flashman's Info Block posted:

Medium Laser – RT (Heat: 0

Comstar has all the best toys.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

wiegieman posted:

Comstar has all the best toys.

The Flashman-8K is the best Inner Sphere mech. Not surprising that it gets the experimental no-heat lasers.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

KnoxZone posted:

The Flashman-8K is the best Inner Sphere mech. Not surprising that it gets the experimental no-heat lasers.

indeed, oh and if you can get in the right spot where you won't be torn apart by return fire, the pilot of the flashman should demonstrate to the clans how to FLASHBULB

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

KnoxZone posted:

I've always found it to need a buddy with big guns, because otherwise it just has to sandblast the armor off the enemy. It's the same problem you see in the Saggitaire, and in fact pretty much every flashbulb before the invention of the Heavy PPC.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Tempest_56 posted:

It's also why the Ontos is such a terrible design. 8 tons of medium lasers, 24 tons of heatsinks because it has an ICE. Oh and some power amplifiers too.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Hah. But does he talk?

Of course!
...of course.

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
As much as I like to see the players win, I'm rooting to see Dash kick that ponymech into gear and win this fight in 10 seconds flat.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Just caught up with this mission. I had hoped for more action already, but since you were waiting on one person, I guess I should blame them. So apparently what was designated a King Crab IIC is actually something called a Bane? Someone tell me more about this Mech and provide some stats, please? Also, the pilot being a Star Colonel with a Bloodname and 1/0 stats doesn't bode well, even if the loadout of the Mechs of this Level II seems to be pretty powerful, from what I can tell even with my admittedly low level of knowledge regarding BattleTech...

Also, the lines are very much welcome. Can't wait to see those Ponymechs in action, especially the one piloted by a Clan Mechwarrior with the name of Dash. With all the MLP jokes being thrown around this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if something like that will provide the inspiration for some new hilarious fanart in this thread...

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

Just caught up with this mission. I had hoped for more action already, but since you were waiting on one person, I guess I should blame them. So apparently what was designated a King Crab IIC is actually something called a Bane? Someone tell me more about this Mech and provide some stats, please? Also, the pilot being a Star Colonel with a Bloodname and 1/0 stats doesn't bode well, even if the loadout of the Mechs of this Level II seems to be pretty powerful, from what I can tell even with my admittedly low level of knowledge regarding BattleTech...

Also, the lines are very much welcome. Can't wait to see those Ponymechs in action, especially the one piloted by a Clan Mechwarrior with the name of Dash. With all the MLP jokes being thrown around this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if something like that will provide the inspiration for some new hilarious fanart in this thread...

Here you go:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bane_%28Kraken%29

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

landcollector posted:

Here you go:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bane_%28Kraken%29

Wow, that's certainly a thing... :stare: I'd hate to be the person who'd have to get sniped to death by that Mech...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

Wow, that's certainly a thing... :stare: I'd hate to be the person who'd have to get sniped to death by that Mech...

Death of a Thousand Paper Cuts. This is what everyone meant when they said "sandpaper." You could carve a statue with that thing. Of a duke even.

Barring some more hilarious luck, though, the CrabGuard could possibly gang up, close in, and down it without actually losing anybody. Not escaping unscathed, though, and ultra-high-speed erosion is nothing to scoff at.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Farseli posted:

As much as I like to see the players win, I'm rooting to see Dash kick that ponymech into gear and win this fight in 10 seconds flat.

Do 4-legged mechs get two kicks?

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Barring some more hilarious luck, though, the CrabGuard could possibly gang up, close in, and down it without actually losing anybody. Not escaping unscathed, though, and ultra-high-speed erosion is nothing to scoff at.

That's pretty much the be all of Battletech. A couple of bad rolls and the pilot of the Flashman might fall unconscious because he's been slapped in the head by an AC2. The Bane might also explode on the next turn because the Boss Crab shoots him in the face with a Gauss Rifle.

Actually, the Boss Crab vs Bane is a pretty good example of the two philosophies of weapons in Battletech. On the one hand, you have the Boss Crab, which traditionally comes with high powered weapons of death capable of one-shotting mechs or dropping all the armour on a torso, and then some. Just the mere threat of a Gauss Rifle or AC20 to the face can make people cagey: the Crab only needs to get lucky once to down any mech.

On the other hand, the Bane follows the missile/LBX school of thought by spreading the damage out as much as possible. That way, you have more chance of scoring head or centre torso crits (rolls of 2 and 12) whilst racking up criticals against any locations without armour. If one of the pony mechs manages to shoot a hole in the armour of one of our mechs, then the Bane is going sandpaper that fucker and he’s going to suffer a lot of crits, as well as the ever present risk of getting slapped in the face.

In any case, we shall have to see what happens after our brave sons of Blake advance into the jaws of death, hiding behind mountains to stay away from 27 hexes and 100 tonnes worth of sandpapering terror.

Wait, can Banes fly?

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Slaan posted:

It'd be perfect if they did. Because then the clanners would manage to have an upgraded Justice Foot, proving their superiority.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Slaan posted:

Only from the rear - I believe there's an optional rule for mule-kicking in a quad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

Only from the rear - I believe there's an optional rule for mule-kicking in a quad.

PoptartsNinja posted:

F 5 Unknown Quad 2 jumped 5 to hex 1513!

I think I know what's coming.

• Locked thread