Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

I do enjoy Dancer in the Dark (well, maybe "enjoy" isn't the right word...) but that's not really what I'm talking about here. I guess I'll be more specific. I'd like to see more movies that blend dark subject matter with over the top, Broadway-style musical numbers.

Chicago is just what you want. It's about a married woman who goes to jail for murdering her illicit lover, and the media circus of a trial that follows. She's a shallow, nasty, horrible person, but her sleazy lawyer manipulates her and the media and turns her into a celebrity. It's set in the 1920s, but the storyline is just as relevant today, in this age of ridiculous wannabe celebrities who are famous for being famous, sensational media coverage of scandals, and criminal trials being presented as entertainment (like OJ and Casey Anthony). Plus, the songs are great and the musical numbers are incredibly well-staged and directed, and Catherine Zeta-Jones is smokin' hot.

Also, Little Shop of Horrors. It's a musical comedy, but based on an old horror movie from the '50s. Rick Moranis plays a nerdy botanist who finds a man-eating plant from outer space, and starts killing people to feed to it in his attempt to woo a beautiful, troubled woman with an abusive dentist boyfriend. It's hilarious, the songs are great, the cast is AWESOME, and the subject matter is suitably dark, especially once you realize the protagonist is actually the villain.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr R.
Apr 26, 2008
I'm looking for cheesy 80s horror movies that are starting to become self aware without devolving entirely into Troma territory. The parent generation to the Scream series if you will. Preferably with big 80s hair and 80s soundtrack.

Return of the Living Dead, Night of the Creeps, Fright Night, Night of the Comet, that kind of thing. I thought Hobo with a Shotgun succeded partly in recreating that kind of feeling.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
American Werewolf in London

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Herr R. posted:

I'm looking for cheesy 80s horror movies that are starting to become self aware without devolving entirely into Troma territory. The parent generation to the Scream series if you will. Preferably with big 80s hair and 80s soundtrack.

Return of the Living Dead, Night of the Creeps, Fright Night, Night of the Comet, that kind of thing. I thought Hobo with a Shotgun succeded partly in recreating that kind of feeling.

Chopping Mall
From Beyond
Demons
Stage Fright

There are boatloads, but those are the first that come to mind. And I really like every one of those.

Herr R.
Apr 26, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Don't even bother with Demons, just skip right ahead to Demons 2, which might be the most absurd horror film of the 80's.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Don't even bother with Demons, just skip right ahead to Demons 2, which might be the most absurd horror film of the 80's.

Demons 2 doesn't have a guy riding a motorcycle in a movie theater while holding a samurai sword. Demons is the better movie, but they're pretty even. Demons also has a better soundtrack, in my opinion.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Demons does have a better soundtrack.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I haven't gone through all this thread, so sorry if it has already been asked, but I'm looking for some non-Malick movies that break the traditional narrative structure. Either stuff like The Thin Red Line and The Tree of Life where it's more a series of vignettes tied together, or even stuff that takes the typical story arch and deviates from it.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Okay, I love found footage horror movies. Rec, Quarantine, Noroi: the Curse, stuff like that. Are there any other really good ones I should see? Last one I saw was the Last Exorcism which I also really liked.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Cannibal Holocaust, Paranormal Activity, Incident at Lake County, The Poughkeepsie Tapes, Home Movie (cannot be stressed enough) and The Last Broadcast are a good start.

Herr R.
Apr 26, 2008
There are several documentaries that use actual private/home videos to reconstruct horrific stories. Capturing the Friedmans, Dear Zachary or Grizzly Man for example.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Cannibal Holocaust, Paranormal Activity, Incident at Lake County, The Poughkeepsie Tapes, Home Movie (cannot be stressed enough) and The Last Broadcast are a good start.

I got to see Cannibal Holocaust in theaters, actually. Half the crowd left once the gory poo poo started happening. Paranormal activity literally put me to sleep though. I'll check out Home Movie and Last Broadcast though, thanks!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

crime fighting hog posted:

Okay, I love found footage horror movies. Rec, Quarantine, Noroi: the Curse, stuff like that. Are there any other really good ones I should see? Last one I saw was the Last Exorcism which I also really liked.

Troll Hunter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLEo7H9tqSM

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

I haven't gone through all this thread, so sorry if it has already been asked, but I'm looking for some non-Malick movies that break the traditional narrative structure. Either stuff like The Thin Red Line and The Tree of Life where it's more a series of vignettes tied together, or even stuff that takes the typical story arch and deviates from it.
Not quite sure if it's what you're after but I really like The Fountain, and it features a great score by Clint Mansell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA2IpUTZkls

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 27, 2011

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Alhazred posted:

The only one I can think of is the John Adams miniseries.

Oh man I can't recommend this enough. Paul Giamatti was SO GODDAMN GOOD.

There's a whole slew of this kind of stuff from the History Channel, which may not be quite what you're looking for, but they were pretty excellent when I watched them. If you go that route, I recommend having a look at Founding Fathers, The Revolution and, while it goes way beyond just the revolution, I also recommend topping this off with America The Story of Us.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
EDIT: Never mind; I answered my own question.

Private Snowball
Jul 22, 2007

Ride the Snide
Can anyone recommend me a good documentary on the Amazon rainforest?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I've been on a prison movie kick lately. Any recommendations?

Here are some I've really enjoyed:

Convicts 4 (Ben Gazzara rules)
Le Trou (Loved this one)
Shawshank Redemption (Classic, a re-watch)
Green Mile (Another re-watch. Love this one)
Lock Up (Cheesy but fun)
Breath (the Kim KI-Duk one)

and I just got A Man Escaped from Netflix, watching that one soon.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

codyclarke posted:

Le Trou (Loved this one)
Lock Up (Cheesy but fun)

The Great Escape
Face/Off (the prison sequence is relatively short, but awesome)
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

codyclarke posted:

Le Trou (Loved this one)
Lock Up (Cheesy but fun)

Some ideas:

A Prophet (good recent crime movie)
Bronson (great central performance by Tom Hardy)
Hunger (much more reflective than the above)
Cool Hand Luke (a classic)
Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky (batshit insane)
The Rock (I like it, it rules)

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

codyclarke posted:

Le Trou (Loved this one)
Lock Up (Cheesy but fun)

I LOVE The Life of David Gale and The Chamber.

edit: I suppose they're a little more "lawyer" or "investigation" type movies than "prison" but still great!

Jadz fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 28, 2011

Herr R.
Apr 26, 2008
Two more classics are Papillion with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman and Billy Wilder's Stalag 17.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Just watched Home Movie and I am officially disturbed out of sleep. God loving damnit...

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

codyclarke posted:

Le Trou (Loved this one)
Lock Up (Cheesy but fun)

Escape From Alcatraz is pretty exciting!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Thanks for the recommendations! Some of I've seen before, some I've meant to see for a while.

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

TrixRabbi posted:

If you're up for foreign language films, a couple excellent examples come to mind: Fellini's "Amarcord" (wonderful, wonderful film about his childhood hometown) and "The Phantom of Liberty" (possibly some offensive stuff there, depending on your sensibilities).

Oh, and there's also "Rashomon," in which the principal characters testify in court about a rape/murder, the point being that each person tells a very different story about the crime.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

Try Andrei Tarkovsky's Mirror.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

I feel like I'm running out of films that looked interesting by their Netflix descriptions and would like some recommendations if anyone has some. I love dark comedies, insular films, sometimes depressing, anything involving counterculture, and drugs don't hurt. Some favorites of mine:

World's Greatest Dad
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (seen all of Kaufman's work)
Easy Rider
Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man (my favorite bad movie of all time)
Happiness (seen all of Todd Solondz's stuff and love it all except for Welcome to the Dollhouse)
Lost in Translation
Into the Wild
Black Swan

Thanks!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

BIZORT posted:

I feel like I'm running out of films that looked interesting by their Netflix descriptions and would like some recommendations if anyone has some. I love dark comedies, insular films, sometimes depressing, anything involving counterculture, and drugs don't hurt. Some favorites of mine:

World's Greatest Dad
Easy Rider
Happiness (seen all of Todd Solondz's stuff and love it all except for Welcome to the Dollhouse)
Lost in Translation
Into the Wild
Black Swan

Thanks!

Stranger Than Fiction and Wristcutters: A Love Story. You'll love them both!

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

BIZORT posted:

World's Greatest Dad
Easy Rider
Lost in Translation
Into the Wild
Black Swan

Thanks!

In Bruges has everything you want except the counterculture. But there's a midget!

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

BIZORT posted:

World's Greatest Dad
Easy Rider
Lost in Translation
Into the Wild
Black Swan

Thanks!

Most of those movies aren't about counterculture at all (and in Happiness' case, the point is that it explicitly ISN'T about counterculture), but I like all of those movies. Here are some recs

Drugstore Cowboy
Trainspotting
Bad Lieutenant Port of Call New Orleans
Broken Flowers
Enter the Void (maybe)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

BIZORT posted:

World's Greatest Dad
Easy Rider
Lost in Translation
Into the Wild
Black Swan

Thanks!

Just some random picks:

Counter-culture: Two-Lane Blacktop, Repo Man, Blow-Up, Dirty Harry (counter-counter-culture)

Dark comedies: Fargo/Barton Fink/Any Cohen Brothers movie, The Apartment,

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

codyclarke posted:

Le Trou (Loved this one)
Lock Up (Cheesy but fun)

There's Against the Wall which is a movie about the Attica starring Sam Jackson.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Recommend me a some-what modern to modern comedy. A real good one. I've seen most of the popular ones like :

Role Models
Hangover
Wedding Crashers
etc,

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Brace posted:

Recommend me a some-what modern to modern comedy. A real good one. I've seen most of the popular ones like :

Role Models
Hangover
Wedding Crashers
etc,

The Brothers Solomon is my favorite screwball comedy. It's sort of like Dumb and Dumber but for social retards.

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story is a loving funny film that bombed at the box office for whatever reason, just as my first recommendation did.

A more obscure one that I found to be really funny but a bit more offbeat and possibly not what you're looking for is The Boys & Girls Guide to Getting Down. It's shot like a parody How-To guide to being a hipster and taking drugs in the LA scene and, from what I remember, evolves into a bit more like an actual movie but it's still a fun watch.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Brace posted:

Role Models
Hangover
Wedding Crashers
etc,

Walk Hard and Step Brothers are probably my favorite comedies of the last several years, and they both happen to star John C. Reilly. Walk Hard is brilliant if you're into rock and roll and its history at all, or if you've seen Walk the Line and similar super-serious Oscar bait musician biopics. The original songs are drat good too. And Step Brothers is just sophomoric hilarity all the way through. The commentary track on the DVD is even great, since it's an improvised musical commentary sung by Reilly and Will Ferrell.

Other than that, I've enjoyed most of the Judd Apatow family of comedies: The 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up (which he wrote, produced, and directed) and the recent Bridesmaids and Superbad (which he produced). I disliked Funny People due to hating Adam Sandler and most of the unlikeable characters, and didn't care for Forgetting Sarah Marshall due to hating Russell Brand.

I also really enjoyed I Love You, Man, starring three of my favorite comic actors: Paul Rudd, Jason Segel, and the beautiful and talented Rashida Jones. Apatow himself didn't have anything to do with it, but it stars people who work with him all the time, and it "feels" more like one of his movies than the disappointing and depressing Funny People, which Apatow actually wrote and directed.

Oh, don't forget Hot Rod. It bombed during its short theatrical run, but it has found an audience on DVD, and needs to find a bigger audience. Andy Samberg, Bill Hader, Danny McBride, the great Ian McShane, and all kinds of insanity ensue.

If you're willing to watch TV comedies instead of movies, I implore you to try Arrested Development, Parks and Recreation, Party Down, and at least seasons 2 and 3 of The Office (the best years of the American version). For animated shows, I'm very partial to The Venture Bros. and Archer, both of which are reference-heavy, geeky, awesome, hilarious fun.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 1, 2011

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
I just got a BluRay player for my 1080p TV (yea, i know i'm slow) so i've been buying/Netflix'ing movies with lots of eye candy (special effects/CGI/etc.) to see what BR is all about.

Recently I've watched Sunshine (loved it except for the last 1/3rd where it became some kind of murder mystery in space), Inception, Watchmen, and of course Avatar. I've seen all but Sunshine before, but these are the kind of movies that have tons of eye candy to look at as well as being pretty good films all around.

Suggest away.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Sci Fi stuff would probably be cool to see on Blu Ray. The Fifth Element, Blade Runner, the newer Star Trek movie, Transformers. Just about any movie looks great on Blu Ray, though. I think the classics even look amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

chomper posted:

I just got a BluRay player for my 1080p TV (yea, i know i'm slow) so i've been buying/Netflix'ing movies with lots of eye candy (special effects/CGI/etc.) to see what BR is all about.

Recently I've watched Sunshine (loved it except for the last 1/3rd where it became some kind of murder mystery in space), Inception, Watchmen, and of course Avatar. I've seen all but Sunshine before, but these are the kind of movies that have tons of eye candy to look at as well as being pretty good films all around.

Suggest away.
I'd throw out Akira and Fantastic Mr Fox as movies that look amazing without CGI.

edit: Oh yeah and Apocalypse Now.

fenix down fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 1, 2011

• Locked thread