Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I'd rather have the 5 speed than the non-STI 6 speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser
Is there any reason not to buy a new wrx? I am looking for a new car with some form of family capabilities and I really want a wrx, but I don't know how fragile they are or how expensive it is to own them. I can afford the car, but will it cost me an arm and a leg in everything else? Any options that must be had?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So the stock wheels for the 2011 STI are 8.5 inches wide. Would I ever want to go wider than this if I modify the car for more power? If so, What are the optimal tire widths for different power outputs?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Shaocaholica posted:

So the stock wheels for the 2011 STI are 8.5 inches wide. Would I ever want to go wider than this if I modify the car for more power? If so, What are the optimal tire widths for different power outputs?

Like any car, depends on your application. For just a daily driver with a 50-60 hp bump, stock tires should be fine. Model of tire would be more important when considering daily use.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

kimbo305 posted:

Like any car, depends on your application. For just a daily driver with a 50-60 hp bump, stock tires should be fine. Model of tire would be more important when considering daily use.

Lets say I'm going to get aftermarket wheels anyway. I might as well reconsider the wheel width while I'm at it. Given the opportunity, for daily driving and canyon driving, should I want to go wider than 8.5? What about for a 100hp bump?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Lets say I'm going to get aftermarket wheels anyway. I might as well reconsider the wheel width while I'm at it. Given the opportunity, for daily driving and canyon driving, should I want to go wider than 8.5? What about for a 100hp bump?
I wouldn't, but I'm not you. It is very rare for a car with tires that wide to run out of grip on the street (in any way resembling responsible). It would make sense to get wider (or pay more attention in general to wheel/tire combo) if you were tracking it frequently, but at +100hp, it'll still be rare that you can spin the wheels on decent tires.

The limit of grippier/wider tires is more to do with carrying speed and taking corners than maintaining traction when stepping on the gas. If I was needing more grip on the street with 8.5" summer tires and 400hp AWD, I would probably be going faster than was safe for my own skills.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Airbone Operation posted:

Is there any reason not to buy a new wrx? I am looking for a new car with some form of family capabilities and I really want a wrx, but I don't know how fragile they are or how expensive it is to own them. I can afford the car, but will it cost me an arm and a leg in everything else? Any options that must be had?
Make sure you can afford the insurance.

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Make sure you can afford the insurance.

Its only 15 dollars more a month so its not an issue. It seems so right to get it I am having trouble finding the downside.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

how expensive it is to own them.

Remeber that they take premium gas only. The higher the octane, the better.

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser
Gas and insurance don't bother me too much. I am more concerned with just out of warranty parts making GBS threads and costly maintenance.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Gas and insurance don't bother me too much. I am more concerned with just out of warranty parts making GBS threads and costly maintenance.

Unless your car needed an exorist like mine, you should be pretty good.

quote:

I cant think of a single reason why you would do it. It aint going to make your car better or faster. Almost all the cars in the local club that are extremely fast dont find the need to go beyond 235.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

If you own one from new and look after it you'll be fine. Used is a crapshoot because people like to install downpipes and drive around for months with no tune.

If you live somewhere with a good independent Subaru shop, even better. Probably not as cheap to own for 100k than a Camry, but the cost will be in no way high.

kaws!
May 25, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

Unless your car needed an exorist like mine, you should be pretty good.

I cant think of a single reason why you would do it. It aint going to make your car better or faster. Almost all the cars in the local club that are extremely fast dont find the need to go beyond 235.

That and the fact you cant fit anything bigger then 235s under the guards /trollface.

Most people get stuck on the RWD mentality in the states, where they run 285 on the rears for grip, when you've got 4x215s to hold the ground. I'm running 8.5s in stock guards on a Liberty B4 and struggling to fit 215s. Think of us needy : (

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Shaocaholica posted:

Aside from LOL LOOK AT MY SWEET RIMZ I cannot think of any reason to change out your wheels/tires for something wider. I have stock rims on my 280whp (322whp uncorrected) 03 WRX with 225/50r16 all season tires and I do not break traction with it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

kaws! posted:

That and the fact you cant fit anything bigger then 235s under the guards /trollface.

Aren't the stock 2011 tires 240s???

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Shaocaholica posted:

Aren't the stock 2011 tires 240s???

2011 WRX are 235/45/17
2011 STI are 245/40/18

So, by extension, you could put 245s on a regular 2011 WRX if you wanted to since the fenders are the same size. I just don't know why you would want to.

As a side note, I'm still more comfortable bombing around on back roads in my 2002 with 205/55/16 all seasons and 113k of suspension wear than I am on my 2011 because I just flat out know the car better. My 2011 still terrifies me sometimes because I don't know where the goddamn limit is. I really need to get it onto the autocross course one of these days to really push it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 28, 2011

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If you are tracking the car a lot and trying to be competitive at something there's a reason to go with wider wheels. For the most part going wider will make the car faster all else equal. In the racing we do one class is limited to 255 street tires. Going wider than that is pretty much just extra weight until you have over 400hp.

If you do want to cram a lot of tire in the new wider fenders, a 9.5 with 265s and about +40 offset will fit just fine. People are putting 10" wide wheels on them without too much trouble. It looks good until you get to the retarded hellaflush sizes but will cost more money.

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 28, 2011

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
I run 245/40/18's on my 2010 WRX (bone stock). I don't know exactly what car he's referring to with the tires though, so this may or may not be applicable to the discussion. However, like people have been saying, the only reason I chose that size was aesthetics (the 225s and even 235s looked weirdly 'stretched' on my wheels).

The drat things rub my RallyArmor mud flaps a tiny bit, but only at about 75% turn in either direction.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
Braking vibration question:

I have a 2004 Forester XT with ~77000 miles on it.

I have a really bad vibration whenever I am braking. It's very prominent in the front steering wheel, and seems to be worse the faster I am going when I apply the brakes.

I've done the following to try and resolve:
- Pulled the front rotors off and had them turned.
- Replaced the front brake pads
- bled the brake lines (all four) and put in fresh brake fluid.

So after doing that it still shakes like crazy. It doesn't seem to pull either way when I hit the brakes. All of the wheel lugs are tightened to the specified torque.

What would be the next step in this? Should I try and get the rear rotors turned and pads replaced? Am I even going down the right path?

Thanks.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004
I run 265/35/18 tires on my 08 STI stock wheels with no problems. Never had any rubbing issues or anything and they do great in autox.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Is there any car tyre equivalent of the motorcycle dual sport tyre? I'm mostly driving (commuting) on asphalt, but occasionally, I do venture on to some gravel to play around. I'm just looking for something that would be decent/good on pavement, and not fall to pieces/be destroyed by a bit of light gravel road shenanigans.

Also, what's the opinion on getting rims welded? The PO of my car included a set of rims with purchase, but one of the wheels has a crack in it. They're OEM rims from a 2002 WRX, so nothing particularly special, but I wouldn't mind having a full spare set to switch between winter and summer rubber.

shane86
Aug 7, 2008
the 08+ STIs and the 11+ have some serious flares, and you can fit a whole lotta tire under there.

Going with a wider wheel over an 8.5, say a 9" will help a little on the stock size by giving the tire a more square profile on the wheel, if not a hair of a stretch. this will increase turn in response and reduce tire deflection under cornering.

Going wider on tires and wheels, if your replacing them.. alot of the comments here seem quite focused on the acceleration. being an AWD car you won't have much in terms of acceleration traction problems until the previously stated 400+hp mark.

but where you'll gain will be braking and turning. the more rubber on the road, the the greater your grip will be under cornering and turning. both of these can seriously increase the fun factor of the car, and subaru has a history of compromising on tire choices (bleh, re92s? 070s were decent..) which has sadly held some of it's vehicles back pretty dramatically.

Downsides? Going wider will increase the contact patch and grip, which will increase drag. this can have a small impact on your fuel milage. Wider tires may also reduce your turning radius, but if they fit under the fenders, again, minimal. You'll also see a high grip tire wear out faster than an all season, but going wider can reduce wear by distributing the weight. lastly, and biggest, cost. Wider tires will generally cost more, especially if you move into less popular sizes. same goes for bigger wheels

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

THE YINGER BANDIT posted:

Braking vibration question:

I have a 2004 Forester XT with ~77000 miles on it.

I have a really bad vibration whenever I am braking. It's very prominent in the front steering wheel, and seems to be worse the faster I am going when I apply the brakes.

I've done the following to try and resolve:
- Pulled the front rotors off and had them turned.
- Replaced the front brake pads
- bled the brake lines (all four) and put in fresh brake fluid.

So after doing that it still shakes like crazy. It doesn't seem to pull either way when I hit the brakes. All of the wheel lugs are tightened to the specified torque.

What would be the next step in this? Should I try and get the rear rotors turned and pads replaced? Am I even going down the right path?

Thanks.

Are the wheel bearings in good shape? how about the ball joints, tie rod ends, and bushings?

Basically anything that has some slop could appear under breaking consdierably more dramatically than under standard driving and acceleration.

The only other thing i could suggest would be to completely replace the front rotors. Rears won't have an impact on shaking.

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

Simkin posted:

Is there any car tyre equivalent of the motorcycle dual sport tyre? I'm mostly driving (commuting) on asphalt, but occasionally, I do venture on to some gravel to play around. I'm just looking for something that would be decent/good on pavement, and not fall to pieces/be destroyed by a bit of light gravel road shenanigans.

All seasons can do ok on and off road depending on the model. In the rallycross club I run with they basically have three classes based on tires: all seasons, snow tires, and rally/truck tires. There are some all seasons that do better than others, ones with larger gaps between the tread blocks do pretty well in the dirt and the snows do even better with larger tread but wear faster. On my daily/rallycross wheels I have General Exclaim UHPs that are actually M+S rated and do pretty well in the dirt and not too bad on the road. I have a separate set of wheels/tires I use for autocross as the Generals wouldn't be too great there, but for every day use they're fine. I got the Generals because I found them cheap on Craigslist but there are others that are pretty good too. Check out this thread for a discussion on rallycross tires that mostly include snows and all seasons http://dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16886&highlight=tire

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Simkin posted:

They're OEM rims from a 2002 WRX, so nothing particularly special, but I wouldn't mind having a full spare set to switch between winter and summer rubber.

They're like tire plugs -- permanent temporary fix. A good welder can get a wheel back to basically factory shape, but it's never going to be as strong as it originally was but the chances of it failing (counting on quality work) is pretty much nil. Hell, my bike is welded aluminum from Taiwan and it hasn't fallen apart yet :allears:

nm posted:

STI for track or autox.

autox? a WRX will be fine for it, but just about any car will be faster than either of those in autox

STi is basically pointless unless you track it, in which case why are you buying a car that is slower than anything else out there for the same price?

just get the WRX and be done with it, it's not worth the price difference

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

shane86 posted:

but where you'll gain will be braking and turning. the more rubber on the road, the the greater your grip will be under cornering and turning. both of these can seriously increase the fun factor of the car, and subaru has a history of compromising on tire choices (bleh, re92s? 070s were decent..) which has sadly held some of its vehicles back pretty dramatically.

I agree that tire model is important, but I'm still with CT that fun should be had by learning how to drive well, not by just bumping up your tires and gaining more grip. Not that 245s are anything to sneeze at.

Also, wider tires can take away from steering feel.

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

autox? a WRX will be fine for it, but just about any car will be faster than either of those in autox

STi is basically pointless unless you track it, in which case why are you buying a car that is slower than anything else out there for the same price?

What the heck?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Off to go mop up the Subarus in mom's Dodge Stratus. I'll report back with results.

E: How did I lose?... :negative:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

quote:

Are you loving drunk or just mindless trolling?

quote:

Tyre stuff

Sorry, but you muffed it at cornering. The WRX/STI combo can be easily overtyred especially the more standard you are. Unless you have the power and supporting mods 235's are more than sufficent and in fact help with cornering - giving you enough wheel slip to play some very, VERY silly buggers that can increase your cornering speed signifigantly. It's all in the setup of the corner and how you can get the car on power and hooting, not how big a tyre you can stuff under the guard.

When you are in the zone where AWD drift occurs, this is where you get your speed.

That being said, I do have some pretty dang good road tyres - 225/45 Yokohama Advan AD08 which are very impressive. And they also do work well for track days.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

Lazor posted:

I run 265/35/18 tires on my 08 STI stock wheels with no problems. Never had any rubbing issues or anything and they do great in autox.

I run 255/40/17 Z1 Star Specs on my stock 2011 WRX rims and have no issues currently. I realize all the naughty things I'm doing but I have my reasons.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

just get the WRX and be done with it, it's not worth the price difference
I join the cries of "what the hell are you talking about?"

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Just got done with a 5000+ mile trip with my WRX to the Rockies and Moab.

Before...

During...

After.

No issues, pulled just fine at 85mph, although the fuel economy was SO much better at 70 (15-16 vs 22). It's really hard to drive 70 through Kansas though. Managed to run out when we somehow got 13mpg on one tank and I thought I'd be okay til the next station when the light came on. Turns out, there's only 15.0 gallons of usable capacity, not 15.9. :wtf:

Oh, what do we have here? Is this a victory present?

Friend gave me a VF-30 turbo for free. It's been underwater, and all of nasioc swears they can't be rebuilt...

Wrong. Cake to get it apart, just need to order the new bearings/etc. Really doesn't look bad at all, just got some rust built up along the iron housings. Good idea to clean it before putting it on the car though.

Anybody know if the '06 STi injectors def fit an '02? I found a set along with a Walbro 255 for $200 shipped. Would be nice to add another 50+whp for <$300! :q:

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Blaise posted:

Anybody know if the '06 STi injectors def fit an '02? I found a set along with a Walbro 255 for $200 shipped. Would be nice to add another 50+whp for <$300! :q:

Are they the top feed pink's?

edit: Looks like the 06 uses a side feed yellow injector. So unless you wanted to get the fuel rails as well... Your best bet would be to get stock WRX blue's (they also flow 565cc). Or get some deatchwerks 750's!

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 29, 2011

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Blaise posted:

Just got done with a 5000+ mile trip with my WRX to the Rockies and Moab.

cool trip!

and no, 06 sti is side feed, 02 wrx is top feed. 07+ sti injectors would work though.

deatschwerks will pay $200 for a set of sidefeeds I think

jamal fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 29, 2011

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

The saabaru just threw a P0031 which is something involving the front 02 sensor. Is this a quick fix I can do myself once I get the car home from work?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Amandyke posted:

Your best bet would be to get stock WRX blue's (they also flow 565cc). Or get some deatchwerks 750's!

What year WRX's get the blues? 06-07?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

JayKay posted:

The saabaru just threw a P0031 which is something involving the front 02 sensor. Is this a quick fix I can do myself once I get the car home from work?

It took me about 20 minutes to do on my '02. I'm not 100% sure if it's the same place on the saabaru. I just rented a 22mm o2 sensor socket from advanced auto, took out the front passenger wheel, opened the access panel for the sensor in the splash guard, unplugged the old one from under the hood, and just removed the old one. The biggest PITA was all the plastic clips holding the wire in place (I think i broke the majority of them).

I bought the O2 sensor off of Amazon at a pretty drat good discount.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Yeah it looks like all I need is the sensor wrench and some zip ties according to some of the guides I've read.

I should be ok to drive short hops over the next few days till the sensor comes in, right?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's in the same place, I had to remove it to get the stock up-pipe out.

You'll be ok with the sensor for a few days. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

quote:

What year WRX's get the blues? 06-07?
06-07 for sure. You can get 4 injectors from RockAuto for $250.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I think I drove a few months with the code before I decided to fix it. Worse worse case is if you left it alone for 10s of thousands of miles you may foul a cat. Otherwise, you just have slightly crappier gas mileage and can't pass emissions until it's fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.

quote:

Are you loving drunk or just mindless trolling?

He probably is talking about this: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q4/lightning_lap_2011-feature/lightning_lap_2011_3a_ll2_class_page_3

I'm not really into magazine racing, but seeing the V6 Mustang edge out the STi is sort of worrying.