Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Just got my new helmet today at work. Pulls double duty for 3D movies :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The Rev'it was a textile/mesh combo.

I went out clothes shopping today. I tried on A*, Joe Rocket, Tourmaster, Icon, Dianese (non-Ducati), and Sedici.

The Dianese (and to a lesser extent, the Sedici) would not fit my powerful american frame. Not enough room in the shoulders or biceps.

Tourmaster was way, way too short in the arms, Icon's zippers sucked, and the A* stuff is strangely sized. I'm a size M in Joe Rocket, but an XL in A*?!

I really REALLY liked the Phoenix 5.0 by Joe Rocket. If they'd had a Medium, I would have bought it. The Sedici jacket (can't remember the model) was also very good and fit well, but was $80 more than the Joe Rocket.

Also, Shoei helmets are super nice, but are they $400 nice? $500 nice?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

SlightlyMadman posted:

I bought an HJC Sy-Max II helmet from NewEnough last Fall, and really loved it. The flip-up design is great and it's a really nice helmet, and I had nothing but good things to say until today.

As a more minor note, the vent latch here also broke a few weeks ago, so it blocks some of the air intake and isn't possible to close.

By the way, none of this was the result of an accident or any sort of impact at all. I was sitting at a red light, and flipped the chin up to put my mp3 player away because it had started to rain. When I flipped the chin back down, it felt like it came down a little weird, and then I noticed the gap at the top of my face shield. Unfortunately, the light had turned green at that point, and I was getting on the interstate, so I couldn't really do much about it.

It wasn't until I got into the office and took the thing off that I realized the chin bar had completely detatched on one side. I can actually pull on it there and move it around. There is nothing holding it on to the helmet on that side, and in an impact I expect it would fly right off.

The good news is I'd been really coveting a couple new helmets anyways. I think I'll be going full-face from now on though.

As an update to this, I tried to wear the helmet for the ride home last night, and the chin bar became completely detached on the broken side and was just dangling in the wind. I had a look at it more closely inside the break when I got home, and there's only a little plastic tab holding the drat thing on. I'm not sure how that tab broke, but I've only put he helmet through normal use and never even dropped it.

Royale with Cheese
Jul 26, 2006

They wouldn't know what the fuck a Quarter Pounder is.
My Shoei Qwest was very comfortable and vented nicely, even had pretty good sound dampening. It was $315 on NewEnough. I crashed a few days ago, helmet hit the asphalt and slid a few feet. They're a little expensive but I'll probably buy another Qwest to replace it.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Send it to Shoei. There's a possibility that it is still good. I crashed on the track in my RF1000 last October and my helmet hit the ground and had significant scrape marks on it. I sent it to Shoei and they sent it back saying that the integrity hadn't been compromised and I was good to keep wearing it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Pretty decent tank bag on sale right now

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/2550/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Eiffel-2-Tank-Bag.aspx

Friend just picked one up. If I didn't already have two tank bags I'd buy one.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Just got my Alpinestars SM-X 5 boots yesterday.

Don't know what to think of them yet, for the past year I've been wearing shoes or work boots when I ride. I know, its dumb, but something else always comes up. Anyways, holy hell motorcycle boots are stiff. I'm sure they eventually start to break in but...wow.

Guess I might as well give a short review for some other things I've had for a while.

Shark RSI - I got this helmet on sale for $100 probably a year ago. Its held up perfectly. Its super comfortable. It's awesome and if you can find one for even $160 I would pick it up. One size smaller than the Scorpion equivalent.

Alpinestars SP-2 - Wore these gloves the first time I ever got on a bike. Wear them every time I ride, wet/hail/cold. Stitching is perfect, no real wear on the leather. More of a discoloration around the fingers, maybe from the grips.

Alpinestars Northshore Tech Fleece - This is basically just a light water resistant jacket with light armor built in. I replaced that with their Bionic stuff. I'll be the first today it doesn't offer the protection of a textile or leather jacket, but its just fine for buzzing around town picking up a fifth or going to the local barnes and noble to check out some titty mags. Anything with highway miles I put on a real jacket.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

NitroSpazzz posted:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/2550/ITEM/Fieldsheer-Eiffel-2-Tank-Bag.aspx

Thanks, I just ordered one too.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Is it better to get the magnet bag or the strap bag? Thinking about ordering one.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Korwen posted:

Is it better to get the magnet bag or the strap bag? Thinking about ordering one.

I think it depends plastic vs metal tank.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

Korwen posted:

I bought the strap bag, and it might take a little messing around to figure out how to mount it to your bike.

On my GS500 I have the back strap under my seat and the front wrapping around the steering column. My friend has a somewhat similar setup on his Ninja 650.

I like the bags a lot though, they hold a ton and with the clips are very easy to take off to gas up and so on.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
For those of you who have custom 1-piece suits, was it worth it? Was looking at getting a perfed jacket for summer which made me think of a perfed onesie which made me think of going custom. Considering a Gimoto supermoto suit.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

clutchpuck posted:

I think it depends plastic vs metal tank.

I had heard someone say magnetic bags would scratch up your paint more, but I had one before and it did no such thing, just figured I'd ask you guys, but I most definitely have a metal tank.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Korwen posted:

I had heard someone say magnetic bags would scratch up your paint more, but I had one before and it did no such thing, just figured I'd ask you guys, but I most definitely have a metal tank.

That's only if dirt gets stuck between the magnet and tank.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Korwen posted:

The pain with magnet bags is when you've left them sitting in some dirt when you're camping and then you put them back on your bike and they scratch the poo poo out of the tank when you're riding home.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

henne posted:

For those of you who have custom 1-piece suits, was it worth it? Was looking at getting a perfed jacket for summer which made me think of a perfed onesie which made me think of going custom. Considering a Gimoto supermoto suit.

Yes. I spent an arm and a leg on mine but my god it has paid for itself twice already. But I'm not familier with gimoto. The big thing you should be looking for is a repairable suit. The other thing is that if you're you're spending a bunch on it it really should fit perfectly. I've done 14 hour days in mine on a sumo and been perfectly comfortable. I don't generally bother taking it off during breaks because it's comfortable enough that I can leave it on.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Gimoto seems to make high end race leathers. Motostrano recomends them for custom leathers which seems to be a p good recomendation. Do people make windblocking base layers? I'm thinking of getting it in all leather as opposed to leather/textile and super perf, which is thighs chest and arms, but would like to wear it when its cold. Are white leathers a pain to keep clean?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Any suggestions for armored brown leather gloves? I have a pretty rad vintage brown leather motorcycle jacket (unarmored, but cut for riding and nice quality leather with zip-in liner) and would like some matching gloves.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

ShaneB posted:

Any suggestions for armored brown leather gloves? I have a pretty rad vintage brown leather motorcycle jacket (unarmored, but cut for riding and nice quality leather with zip-in liner) and would like some matching gloves.

I'm not usually a big icon fan but Sabrina has had these for 4 years and they're still holding out pretty well.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/37/26/ITEM/Icon-Super-Duty-Gloves.aspx

I really like these Belay Gloves and think that they have a lot more protection that most other "armored" gloves due to the thick leather and solid wrist strap.
http://www.backcountry.com/metolius...r:referralID=NA

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 27, 2011

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I found someone that had the Joe Rocket Recon jacket in Medium. Turns out the Navy Exchange (NEX) has a Cycle Gear section. The signs say cyclegear.com and everything. So I got the jacket for the price you see on the web: no tax, no shipping, no hassle.

I love this jacket so far. The Recon is "military spec" as far as protective clothing required to ride on military bases. The jacket is normally all black with piping, but it has a nice, large, mesh safety-orange vest that deploys like a cape, then clips into the front around the collarbone with D-rings.

Plenty of pockets, beefy zippers with pulls big enough for gloves, and (not to overstate) plenty of vents. Great summer jacket.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Mcqueen posted:

Just got my Alpinestars SM-X 5 boots yesterday.

Don't know what to think of them yet, for the past year I've been wearing shoes or work boots when I ride. I know, its dumb, but something else always comes up. Anyways, holy hell motorcycle boots are stiff. I'm sure they eventually start to break in but...wow.

I've had SMX4's for 5 years now and they have been awesome for me. They were maybe a bit stiff in the beginning but they do break in. I was actually surprised how comfortable they were, and I wear them as regular footwear under my jeans when I need to. They also held up extremely well in an accident and saved my calf/ankle so be sure to wear them all the time :)

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

SlightlyMadman posted:

As an update to this, I tried to wear the helmet for the ride home last night, and the chin bar became completely detached on the broken side and was just dangling in the wind. I had a look at it more closely inside the break when I got home, and there's only a little plastic tab holding the drat thing on. I'm not sure how that tab broke, but I've only put he helmet through normal use and never even dropped it.

I got a HJC CL-Max and, frankly, it sucks. I use it as a backup. It feels cheap, has tons of wind noise, the visor fogs instantly in almost anything but warm weather, the vents are useless. HJC's "patent pending" visor lock sucks. Mine broke the first time I tried to lift the visor.
At first I thought that it might just be my visor that was messed up. It refused to lift past the first notch without a lot of force. A friend of mine has a different HJC model, and his is the same; never wants to lift. Hell, the tinted visor he bought for it didn't even fit properly.
I am not impressed by HJC's products and won't be buying from them again. Thank god my helmet was on closeout.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pope Mobile posted:

I got a HJC CL-Max and, frankly, it sucks.

I do really like my IS-Max, though. For my uses it's nearly perfect, even though I don't always trust the flip-up chin. The flip-face is awfully handy, though, and the built-in sun visor is awesome. It allows me to get wind and bug protection on my eyes without using the main visor, and generally gives me a lot of flexibility. It's great for those who ride with glasses instead of contacts, for sure. It's not perfect for everything or everyone, but for $170 it's pretty awesome.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 28, 2011

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Flip up helmets without a chinbar are not as safe as full face helmets - even the ones that have them still probably aren't. Something like 30% of crashes are onto your face. Take that into account.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

n8r posted:

Flip up helmets without a chinbar are not as safe as full face helmets - even the ones that have them still probably aren't. Something like 30% of crashes are onto your face. Take that into account.

The IS-Max has a chin bar, unless I'm understanding the terminology wrong. My next helmet will likely be a much higher quality non-flip, just because I'm scurred.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I'll be damned if I trust my face to a helmet's locking mechanism. I can understand the appeal of modular helmets but it just seems too risky to me.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

JP Money posted:

I'll be damned if I trust my face to a helmet's locking mechanism. I can understand the appeal of modular helmets but it just seems too risky to me.

I think this is a fair argument to make.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm a bit wary of that myself, but a modular is useful in the late fall & winter for me. I have to go through a gate to get to work, and it's easier to flip up the front of the helmet and pull my mask down to show my face to the guard rather than take the whole drat helmet off.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Pope Mobile posted:

I'm a bit wary of that myself, but a modular is useful in the late fall & winter for me. I have to go through a gate to get to work, and it's easier to flip up the front of the helmet and pull my mask down to show my face to the guard rather than take the whole drat helmet off.

This is the only reason I've looked into modular helmets. Most of the time it isn't a big deal just pulling down the mask but anytime there is a new guard I get to take off my helmet and go through that fun.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
If I know I'm going to need to take my helmet off for something besides getting off the bike I just undo the snap / closure as I ride up. To me it's worth being safer the rest of the time and not dressing to save yourself 10 seconds of work once a month. I'm sure the helmets are reasonably safe but that's like buying a jacket you know has a huge weakspot just because it looks cool or comes off 10 seconds faster. Dress for the crash, not for the gate guard.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's every morning and a huge hassle taking off my winter gloves in order to undo the snap, take off the helmet, pull down the mask then put it all back on after the guard confirms my identity. All while holding up everyone at the gate.
Riding with a modular isn't a death sentence.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Here are two $5 off >$100 order coupons for motorcycle-superstore if anyone wants them:
S1R0X9NBXC (use by 7/2)
SHG11IBZZ0 (use by 7/19)

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Got my new jacket today to go with my new helmet from a couple weeks ago.

I love it so far but it's really stiff. I'm sure it will loosen up soon with some riding :D

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

jdonz posted:

Thanks, I just ordered one too.

The Fieldsheer Eiffel II arrived today and holy gently caress it is huge. I just finished strapping it on and I'll use it as a backpack replacement tomorrow. Trip report to follow.

Anyone else with an SV pick this up?

Persh
Sep 26, 2007

Do you see it?
:smug:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Persh posted:

:smug:

holy poo poo that truck wow

Persh
Sep 26, 2007

Do you see it?

ShaneB posted:

holy poo poo that truck wow

That truck only comes up to my shoulders.

I'm short :smug:

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Shadowgate posted:

Got my new jacket today to go with my new helmet from a couple weeks ago.

I love it so far but it's really stiff. I'm sure it will loosen up soon with some riding :D

Hahaha, pictures of people in power rangers clothes always make me laugh. I know I look like a tool in them too, but its like someone entered a big head cheat code in real life.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey guys, headed out for a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Gnaghi posted:

Thanks, that's what I needed to hear and it's half the price of the ones that don't work too. Ordered it along with a tire plugger kit for those longer trips.

+1 more PNW recommendation on this suit. Has served me well though this last winter's record-setting rainfall.