Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

geeves posted:

Did Tyrion really backflip?
I can't recall if it was back or front, but a mid-air flip of a given orientation was definitely involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

In the first two books that's the only time I saw that happen so I'm going to say maybe GRRM wanted him to initially be this weird comic relief super dwarf but thought better of it in a chapter or two.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

GreenBuckanneer posted:

In the first two books that's the only time I saw that happen so I'm going to say maybe GRRM wanted him to initially be this weird comic relief super dwarf but thought better of it in a chapter or two.

He didn't go back and edit that part out after he wrote the rest of the book?? But editing is what GRRM enjoys most of all!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

He didn't go back and edit that part out after he wrote the rest of the book?? But editing is what GRRM enjoys most of all!

At least he edited that part where Tyrion champions himself at the Eyrie and powers up to the next level in order to destroy Vardis with a fireball from his rear end.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Tyrion's capabilities seem to vary wildly from one moment to another. One second he's a hobbled dwarf whose hips hurt if he walks up a few steps, and in the next he's chopping people apart left and a right from horseback and COMBAT ACTION DWARF.

I'm not exactly an expert on dwarves, but I can't imagine he'd be too effective fighting from horseback. It just doesn't seem like physics would be on his side. Maybe with a spear or lance or something he can use the horse's weight and momentum with, but a hand axe seems ill-suited to a small person.

Dendra
May 3, 2009

SmugDogMillionaire posted:

I'm honestly kindof excited for people posting spoilers but more the quantity of spoilers then actually reading them. The sight of huge black boxes of text in every discussion would indicate, at least, that poo poo Happens. I can wait a couple more weeks to find out about any particular plot developments but I can't wait to know if it's going to be a 1000 pages of disappointing nothing-in-particular-happening like Feast For Crows was.

People aren't going to be using spoiler tags, that's the problem

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Hell Diver posted:

Tyrion's capabilities seem to vary wildly from one moment to another. One second he's a hobbled dwarf whose hips hurt if he walks up a few steps, and in the next he's chopping people apart left and a right from horseback and COMBAT ACTION DWARF.
Yeah, those parts where pretty much the only parts where i kinda rolled with my eyes.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hell Diver posted:

I'm not exactly an expert on dwarves, but I can't imagine he'd be too effective fighting from horseback. It just doesn't seem like physics would be on his side. Maybe with a spear or lance or something he can use the horse's weight and momentum with, but a hand axe seems ill-suited to a small person.

People talked about this in the thread for the show and yeah it's another example of absurdity. A guy who's literally as tall as my reach is long is pretty much guaranteed to die in a swordfight, running around taking out multiple knights is an absolute fantasy

Also the writing is growing on me now, but I gotta agree with the complaint re: the ages. I think the show did it right. If the children's ages were all tweaked upwards 2 or 3 years, it would make more sense to me. Rickon at 3 years old controlling his direwolf, Robb at 14 growing into command, it's just below the bottom end of what seems credible. 6 and 16 makes more sense. Yeah yeah they live in a different time, winter is coming, etc but it's still jarring

hypocrite lecteur fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 28, 2011

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah, I think Tyrion battling and doing Sonic the Hedgehog spins was definitely the weakest specific part of the book for me and definitely the most jarring. I definitely remember stopping and saying to myself "How did he just kill 3 Northmen--he's 4 feet tall!"

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

hypocrite lecteur posted:

Also the writing is growing on me now, but I gotta agree with the complaint re: the ages. I think the show did it right. If the children's ages were all tweaked upwards 2 or 3 years, it would make more sense to me. Rickon at 3 years old controlling his direwolf, Robb at 14 growing into command, it's just below the bottom end of what seems credible. 6 and 16 makes more sense. Yeah yeah they live in a different time, winter is coming, etc but it's still jarring

I think 3 year old Rickon and Shaggydog made a ton more sense than 6 year old Rickon.

3 year old Rickon is 3. He doesn't have to ability to "control" the dog. He's just a ball of confusion and emotion with no sort of thinking skills, and that's why Shaggydog is so crazy and wild. He's being controlled by the impulses and jarbled thoughts of a 3 year old, as opposed to Bran who has a more developed mind and is much more capable of thought and controlling his impulses and emotions.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Series questions, I'm currently on ASOS

Is bran or rickon ever mentioned in ASOS or afterwards? Does rickon ever become more than a little brat?

What about Arya or Jon?

Is there some symbolism between Lady being dead and Sansa being alive?

About Jon does he make amends with the wall for killing a black brother? I love his and mormont's relationship :(

JerkyBunion posted:

I think 3 year old Rickon and Shaggydog made a ton more sense than 6 year old Rickon.

3 year old Rickon is 3. He doesn't have to ability to "control" the dog. He's just a ball of confusion and emotion with no sort of thinking skills, and that's why Shaggydog is so crazy and wild. He's being controlled by the impulses and jarbled thoughts of a 3 year old, as opposed to Bran who has a more developed mind and is much more capable of thought and controlling his impulses and emotions.

Lots of people, myself included, would argue a 6 year old is just as impulsive and have the judgement of a child.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 28, 2011

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Series questions, I'm currently on ASOS

Is bran or rickon ever mentioned in ASOS or afterwards? Does rickon ever become more than a little brat?

What about Arya or Jon?

Is there some symbolism between Lady being dead and Sansa being alive?

About Jon does he make amends with the wall for killing a black brother? I love his and mormont's relationship :(
Just keep reading man.

And Rickon being 3 is fine. You can complain about the other kids ages in the books but that one works.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

hypocrite lecteur posted:

People talked about this in the thread for the show and yeah it's another example of absurdity. A guy who's literally as tall as my reach is long is pretty much guaranteed to die in a swordfight, running around taking out multiple knights is an absolute fantasy
I started treating his POV in these things with a grain of salt. ie: he's really just sort of going crazy and flailing around and not accomplishing a whole lot except maybe delivering glancing blows to people in his way or those already dying/dead but he THINKS he's taking down loving knights, man. It's the only thing that makes sense. :)

quote:

Yeah, this was always an issue for me. I think even some of the 'adult' characters, as their age was portrayed in the book, who were portrayed as being around 20 or so seemed like they might be significantly more mature.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Habibi posted:

I started treating his POV in these things with a grain of salt. ie: he's really just sort of going crazy and flailing around and not accomplishing a whole lot except maybe delivering glancing blows to people in his way or those already dying/dead but he THINKS he's taking down loving knights, man. It's the only thing that makes sense. :)

That also explains why after The Battle of Blackwater nobody stood up to say, "Hey, this dwarf guy kicked some MAJOR rear end, maybe we ought to knight him."

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
So this thread isn't a read-along anymore, is it any different from regular book discussion, just with black bars?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Mowglis Haircut posted:

So this thread isn't a read-along anymore, is it any different from regular book discussion, just with black bars?

it's a discussion of the books without devolving into "RAPE LEMONCAKES SPOILERS ABSOLUTE FUCKER" for every post.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Lawnie posted:

it's a discussion of the books without devolving into "RAPE LEMONCAKES SPOILERS ABSOLUTE FUCKER" for every post.

Oh right. What happened to the read-along?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Mowglis Haircut posted:

I thought there was a separate read-along thread?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Mowglis Haircut posted:

The guy who arranged it didn't have time for it any longer.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Kainser posted:

The guy who arranged it didn't have time for it any longer.

How far did Zombie Lincoln get anyways? I seem to recall the last time I visited this thread he was about halfway through A Clash of Kings.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Contra Calculus posted:

How far did Zombie Lincoln get anyways? I seem to recall the last time I visited this thread he was about halfway through A Clash of Kings.

All the way through Clash of Kings I think.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Eggnogium posted:

That also explains why after The Battle of Blackwater nobody stood up to say, "Hey, this dwarf guy kicked some MAJOR rear end, maybe we ought to knight him."

Except he did kick rear end (just not in that way). That's explained by his sister taking credit for his ideas, him being out for the count and unable to speak up for himself and the rest of his family being ungrateful assholes.

Zombie Lincoln
Sep 7, 2006
The master of all things GRRM!

"His manhood glistened wetly..."
Finished up the CoK read through, but had ceased with the in-depth summaries part way through it, what with school dominating my time. There were no takers for leading the read-through for SoS forward.

Folks in the TVIV thread were griping about having no place to post if they were part way through the books, so I asked Loose Chanj to change the thread title. We were pretty much already in free-form book talk (with spoiler tags), so it seemed appropriate.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I'm rereading A Clash of Kings. Anyone else have a hard time seeing how they're going to make episodes of the first half? The first 400 pages are basically prologue. With the exception of Arya.

Wow that was a long Jon chapter. I'm so not interested in reading anything about Jon. He's incredibly boring compared to everyone else.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I'm so not interested in reading anything about Jon. He's incredibly boring compared to everyone else.

I don't know I'd argue that Catelyn is the most boring.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I cringe whenever I see a Catelyn chapter. Her POV throughout the series is almost as bad as Sansa's POVs in GoT.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How many times can she possibly say "the gods be willing"?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Can anyone please post the amazing banner ad this thread had a few weeks ago? It seems to have expired

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Habibi posted:

I cringe whenever I see a Catelyn chapter. Her POV throughout the series is almost as bad as Sansa's POVs in GoT.

After re-reading GoT I don't as much. And have readied myself for aCoK which I'm starting tomorrow. it may change with aCoK - which I will comment when I reread this weekend... In GoT, with Catelyn, we saw insane Lysa, Bronn vs Vardis, and Robb kicking rear end (early on). Yes we see things through her (a mother's) perspective, but it hasn't yet taken anything away from what's happened. I really like the Whispering Wood battle IMO. (I haven't gotten to King in the North)

Sansa is the same, we get a different PoV. And we wouldn't have gotten Selmy's dismissal. Upon reread with the show, Sansa was more "tolerable" in her own way. (not completely, no)

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
So do people really have ADWD already? I'm scared of the internet right now. Is this the thread to discuss it with spoiler bars then when it comes out?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bigmcgaffney posted:

So do people really have ADWD already? I'm scared of the internet right now. Is this the thread to discuss it with spoiler bars then when it comes out?

We're discussing it right now in The Bad thread. Just come on over and let your spoiler roots show.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Fluffdaddy posted:

How many times can she possibly say "the gods be willing"?

Not nearly as many times as "You know nothing, Jon Snow."

That loving phrase is the most annoying one ever uttered now. I blame Roy Dotrice.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm about 20% done ASOS and Sam is a fuckin BOSS.

This whole book is ownage so far. At the same point in ACOK I was bored as hell.

I think the thing about this series that pisses me off the most is the fact that the stark family never reunites, and none of them ever know as much as the reader. At times this drives me up the freaking wall, especially with Robb probably having warg attributes but saying later he doesn't believe in that mumbo jumbo. Or just other characters being so stupid to certain things or stubborn as hell.

One thing I was thinking of while reading Jaime chapters was how much the actor loving NAILED his book personality.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 1, 2011

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm about 20% done ASOS and Sam is a fuckin BOSS.

This whole book is ownage so far. At the same point in ACOK I was bored as hell.

I just got done with ASOS on my first re-read since it came out, and I knew it was good, but I'd forgotten how it's just chapter after chapter of pure awesome, especially the second half.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think the thing about this series that pisses me off the most is the fact that the stark family never reunites, and none of them ever know as much as the reader. At times this drives me up the freaking wall, especially with Robb probably having warg attributes but saying later he doesn't believe in that mumbo jumbo. Or just other characters being so stupid to certain things or stubborn as hell.

This creates a lot of the tension though. Also remember that in the overall narrative ASOS is not even the halfway point. Even in AFFC they don't meet, and I doubt ADWD will be different. I think a lot of people (including me) are expecting the younger Starks to be one of the biggest payoffs in the last couple of books

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

hampig posted:

I just got done with ASOS on my first re-read since it came out, and I knew it was good, but I'd forgotten how it's just chapter after chapter of pure awesome, especially the second half.

This creates a lot of the tension though. Also remember that in the overall narrative ASOS is not even the halfway point. Even in AFFC they don't meet, and I doubt ADWD will be different. I think a lot of people (including me) are expecting the younger Starks to be one of the biggest payoffs in the last couple of books

This has got to be one of GRRM's biggest stumbling blocks The stark children's arcs are so disparate. Rob, at the end of feast, is at his zenith, while bran is barely getting the momentum up to reach his. Sansa's momentum is out of her control, and really with LF is pretty unpredictable but hardly approaching satisfaction. Rickon is totally open, and who knows what arya has in store. So, alot of potential to fill 3 books, but alot of potential to waste.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

meanolmrcloud posted:

This has got to be one of GRRM's biggest stumbling blocks The stark children's arcs are so disparate. Rob, at the end of feast, is at his zenith, while bran is barely getting the momentum up to reach his. Sansa's momentum is out of her control, and really with LF is pretty unpredictable but hardly approaching satisfaction. Rickon is totally open, and who knows what arya has in store. So, alot of potential to fill 3 books, but alot of potential to waste.

How the gently caress did Arya spend two books meandering right around the area where she lost Nymeria and never reunite with with her wolf? There were a couple times where she had some warg-like dreams but I'm sad it never culminated in a giant pack of wolves rolling out of the forest and saving her from one set of kidnappers or another. And then she could live with them.

Also, I found Jon really boring all the way though GOT and ACOK but when he joins up with the Wildlings I started to get interested.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

Eggnogium posted:

How the gently caress did Arya spend two books meandering right around the area where she lost Nymeria and never reunite with with her wolf? There were a couple times where she had some warg-like dreams but I'm sad it never culminated in a giant pack of wolves rolling out of the forest and saving her from one set of kidnappers or another. And then she could live with them.

I figured it's that Nymeria is basically wild at this point and off doing her own thing leading the big wolf pack

quote:

Also, I found Jon really boring all the way though GOT and ACOK but when he joins up with the Wildlings I started to get interested.

Yeah I think that's the first time Jon as a character gets interesting but the story at the Wall certainly gets more interesting in Clash, it's really the first time they start to get into the white walkers mystery that was only alluded to in book one. I do hope they play down Craster's crazy incest sideshow in the TV show, I thought it was kinda stupid in the books and I think it'll just come off as silly on screen.

Also I'd say Dany gets lumped with the least interesting arc in Clash overall. It's important but it doesn't change the fact that not much happens.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think there is interesting stuff happening in her chapters, but her terrible opinions and assumptions kind of sour it.

Things like, "this girl is not pretty, her life must not be worth living why can't she be more like the perfect Sansa" and "this toddler has good wide hips for breeding, a suitable match for Rickon"

I probably shouldn't love Theon, but I can't help it.

I wish his crazy string of misadventures ended up with him at the wall. He and Jon stuck together would be awesome.

Please don't be dead

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Bananaquiter posted:

I think there is interesting stuff happening in her chapters, but her terrible opinions and assumptions kind of sour it.

Things like, "this girl is not pretty, her life must not be worth living why can't she be more like the perfect Sansa" and "this toddler has good wide hips for breeding, a suitable match for Rickon"

I probably shouldn't love Theon, but I can't help it.

I wish his crazy string of misadventures ended up with him at the wall. He and Jon stuck together would be awesome.

Please don't be dead

I just finished my reread of CoK in preparation for ADWD and it was such a loving tease when Theon comes that close to just saying "gently caress all you guys" and taking the black. There's a dude who wouldn't have to be talked into joining Mance Rayder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Got home from work and ADWD was waiting for me. There goes my weekend. :woop:

• Locked thread