Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

JackDarko posted:

American Vampire Survival of the fittest #1 was absolutely fantastic. Sean Gordon Murphy and Scott Snyder are an amazing creative team. It was a pretty dense issue even though there wasn't much action, a lot of details were dropped in conversation that will definitely be important later.

Murphy did a great job of making the issue a joy to look at with lush backgrounds that really added to the mood. I appreciated that Snyder wrote this issue a bit different from other AmVamp issues, he integrated the information new readers would need to be caught up really well.

Man, it was just a really good comic, I really like Cashel.

I'm reading this one in HC form as they come out. Are they going to do a new series each storyline now similar to Criminal or is this an offshoot while the main series continues?

It's not Vertigo, but I have to throw out another huge recommendation for Criminal by Ed Brubaker. The latest storyline "The Last of the Innocent" just started. Sean Phillips is doing some really fun stuff with the artwork in the first issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Jolo posted:

I'm reading this one in HC form as they come out. Are they going to do a new series each storyline now similar to Criminal or is this an offshoot while the main series continues?

It's not Vertigo, but I have to throw out another huge recommendation for Criminal by Ed Brubaker. The latest storyline "The Last of the Innocent" just started. Sean Phillips is doing some really fun stuff with the artwork in the first issue.

It's a spin off series, it focuses on the vassals. Snyder said in an interview that if this sells well he'd like to do one every summer. It's still wholly pertinent to the main story though so don't be fooled into thinking you can skip it. It's going to be volume 4 in the hardcover line. Have you had a chance to read the second American Vampire hardcover?

Yeah Criminal is bloody fantastic.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

JackDarko posted:

Yeah Criminal is bloody fantastic.

Criminal is the best reason for Marvel to have the Icon imprint. It could be the only title on the Icon imprint, and it would still be worth it.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

JackDarko posted:

Have you had a chance to read the second American Vampire hardcover?

I'm in the middle of it right now and it continues to be very good stuff. I haven't read Iron Man Noir, but everything else by Snyder so far has been really great.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I know I'm a few years too late but drat, the ending to Y: The Last Man was great. I'm sad to see it end.

Oh well, time to pick out another Vertigo title to start reading. Should I start reading Ex Machina for some more Vaughan greatness?

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Corbet posted:

I know I'm a few years too late but drat, the ending to Y: The Last Man was great. I'm sad to see it end.

Oh well, time to pick out another Vertigo title to start reading. Should I start reading Ex Machina for some more Vaughan greatness?

Ex Machina starts really strong but peters out towards the ending. The way Vaughn tries to wrap everything up feels like a half-measure but it's still a worthwhile series to check out IMO.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Jolo posted:

I'm in the middle of it right now and it continues to be very good stuff. I haven't read Iron Man Noir, but everything else by Snyder so far has been really great.

You're in for a real treat then if you like Devil in the Sand, when you get to Survival of the fittest. I almost wish I had never heard about this series and picked it up when it was completely finished, it's that hard to wait for new issues.

j00rBuDdY
Sep 11, 2001
Let me be your friend.
Any love for The Exterminators?

Written by Simon Oliver and Tony Moore. Really great short series but the end felt rushed. Fantastic artists though. It's what got me started into Vertigo and having just finished Preacher, I am moving onto YtLM next.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

j00rBuDdY posted:

Read the first trade, kinda undecided on it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I value Vertigo now possibly more thn ever with the way DC is loving up their line. Vertigo really IS the little imprint that could.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Is anyone reading House of Mystery? The cover art I see from the issues and volumes looks really cool, but I can't remember anyone mentioning it here. To anyone who may have read it, is it worth a look?

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh
I wanted to ask a question about Helix Comics, the imprint that couldn't.

Is anything worth reading other than Transmetropoliton?

I figured, since Transmet was picked up by Vertigo after the imprint was cancelled, and since it was so similar, being a science fiction Vertigo, its relative enough.

Anyone read anything from Helix other than Transmet? Like Cyberella or Bloody Mary? Your opinion on it?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Is anyone reading House of Mystery? The cover art I see from the issues and volumes looks really cool, but I can't remember anyone mentioning it here. To anyone who may have read it, is it worth a look?

It isn't great, but it is definitely worth a look. The real gimmick HoM has is that there's a story within a story in each issue, almost always by a guest writer and artist. The guest stories are usually pretty good. There is a main story, which is good but it ends up moving very slowly

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GOP posted:

I wanted to ask a question about Helix Comics, the imprint that couldn't.

Is anything worth reading other than Transmetropoliton?

I figured, since Transmet was picked up by Vertigo after the imprint was cancelled, and since it was so similar, being a science fiction Vertigo, its relative enough.

Anyone read anything from Helix other than Transmet? Like Cyberella or Bloody Mary? Your opinion on it?

Really not much of it was very memorable. I think Helix was poorly received because for the first few months they were advertising the imprint it was to be known as Matrix and they had to make a last minute change which didn't help things. The imprint was pretty pointless from the get go the entire output was less than 50 comics if memory serves.
Gemini Blood wasn't bad though, really pretty art by Tommy Lee Edwards.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rhyno posted:

Really not much of it was very memorable. I think Helix was poorly received because for the first few months they were advertising the imprint it was to be known as Matrix and they had to make a last minute change which didn't help things. The imprint was pretty pointless from the get go the entire output was less than 50 comics if memory serves.
Gemini Blood wasn't bad though, really pretty art by Tommy Lee Edwards.
I liked Bloody Mary, but it really did read like a retooled 2000AD project. Cyberella was OK, but I'm a Chaykin fan, and I was willing to overlook the late-90s "cyber-edgy" touches it was full of.

Most of the books just weren't very interesting. "Sci-fi" is a nebulous term, there really hadn't been any demand in the American market for original SF comics for decades, and by the late 1990s most SF that was consumed (novels, TV, movies, video games) was in the form of pre-existing franchises - I've heard non-franchise SF novels have seen a real collapse in sales since the early 1990s eruption of Star Wars and Star Trek tie-in novels.

Points to DC for trying to publish something other than superheroes, and for putting real resources behind it, but it's hard to see how it would ever have been a success. So it goes.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

The Action Man posted:

Criminal is the best reason for Marvel to have the Icon imprint. It could be the only title on the Icon imprint, and it would still be worth it.

This the same "series" as Sleeper? Because that was pretty loving great.

Corbet posted:

Really? I thought Y: The Last Man ended poorly. Ex Machina in my opinion suffered from the author trying to make it into more of an action/superhero comic than it needed to be.

j00rBuDdY posted:

Written by Simon Oliver and Tony Moore. Really great short series but the end felt rushed. Fantastic artists though. It's what got me started into Vertigo and having just finished Preacher, I am moving onto YtLM next.

Eh, after the first trade I just didn't see any reason to continue to read.

Nuns with Guns posted:

To me it's harking back to the 'golden days' of vertigo when they had books of magic, sandman, etc. but just not as good as any of those.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Wazzu posted:

Same creative team. There's no superpowers or any other fantastical elements to it. It's just straight up crime fiction. And it's totally awesome. Incognito, also by Brubaker and Phillips for Marvel Icon, was also great and completely worth checking out.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
So Fables came out.

How, uh, anti-climactic. In fact, every single "Big Bad" villain's endgame has been anti-climactic.

In fact, Fables has gotten absolutely terrible. Jack Frost, probably the only good thing to come out of the Jack of Fables story, manage to save the entire Fables community..only to vanish out of continuity and then die ignobly. It didn't even buck fantasy story conventions in a clever way, it was just gratuitous and stupid.

Seems to me Willingham just got lucky with the concept and rapidly ran out of ideas by the time he started injecting Israeli politics as a metaphor.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Mister Roboto posted:

So Fables came out.

How, uh, anti-climactic. In fact, every single "Big Bad" villain's endgame has been anti-climactic.

In fact, Fables has gotten absolutely terrible. Jack Frost, probably the only good thing to come out of the Jack of Fables story, manage to save the entire Fables community..only to vanish out of continuity and then die ignobly. It didn't even buck fantasy story conventions in a clever way, it was just gratuitous and stupid.

Seems to me Willingham just got lucky with the concept and rapidly ran out of ideas by the time he started injecting Israeli politics as a metaphor.

Yeah, it was pretty terrible. Personally, I think the problem with Fables is because he tried to continue the story after its natural end. The comic should have ended when the Adversary was defeated.

Also, I don't get all the hate for that one time reference to Israel. That stuff happens all the time in comics.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 26, 2011

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, it was pretty terrible. Personally, I think the problem with Fables is because he tried to continue the story after its natural end. The comic should have ended when the Adversary was defeated.

Also, I don't get all the hate for that one time reference to Israel. That stuff happens all the time in comics.

It's not the reference, it was just the blatancy of the writing, because it wasn't the character talking anymore, it was Willingham's political blog.

As for the writing quality, consider if Magneto stopped saying "I've experienced what humans can do to each other if they are...different..." and flat out started saying "All humans are Hitlers." There's good writing and then there's just being a blunt hammer.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Seconding Roboto. That moment was the real start of the climax, and it was used to shoehorn in a pretty poorly thought out, poorly written analogy that Geppetto wouldn't have understood anyway.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Wazzu posted:

No, but Sleeper, Criminal, and Incognito are all by the same team, and are a loose thematic trilogy about *adjective* people doing *adjective* things. I mean it sounds dumb, but Criminal is (generally, broadly) about "good" people doing "bad" things, Incognito is about a former supervillain turned hero, and Sleeper is just loving insane because it's a hero pretending to be a villain, doing villain things but then also doing hero things and oh my god the schemes inside of schemes send help my brain is metling

Actually, a better way to put it would be "books about people doing things they normally wouldn't", but even that sounds bad.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>

Mister Roboto posted:

It's not the reference, it was just the blatancy of the writing, because it wasn't the character talking anymore, it was Willingham's political blog.

As for the writing quality, consider if Magneto stopped saying "I've experienced what humans can do to each other if they are...different..." and flat out started saying "All humans are Hitlers." There's good writing and then there's just being a blunt hammer.

Yeah, I was kinda of dissapointed when Bigby went in Paris and basically said that French people were ungrateful people because they didn't support USA or something. That was bad.

I stopped reading the TPB of Fables with "The Dark Ages", does it get a bit better or should I stop reading post-adversary stuff ?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Just stop reading Fables period. Good lord is it ever terrible now. The narrative, if there ever was one, has gone completely off the rails as Willingham introduces and then abandons threads as it becomes clear they aren't going anywhere.

And as for Helix, I found Vermilion to be worth reading for the quality of the writing and its ambitious, expansive concept. It had some pacing issues (the writer was an established author but new to comics), but it rapidly found its feet. Unfortunately it was cancelled soon after.

It's a shame because it could have been truly great. As it stands, though, I think it's fairly high quality. Certainly memorable.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I liked Fables for the first 75 or so issues. But since then it's clear he's just milking it for money and really needs to let it drop.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I have said it before, I will say it again: I do not understand how any professional fiction writer can be handed every fairy tale, fable, legend, myth, parable, and nursery rhyme character from every culture ever created and still write stuff as horrible as what Willingham writes.

Also he is a douche who blocks you on Twitter if you say you think Jeph Loeb is a bad writer.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
So how does everyone feel about John Constantine's visit into the DCU? Basically as long as we still get Hellblazer, I'm totally cool with it.

I liked Part 1 of that Search for Swamp thing miniseries at least.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

dvorak posted:

So how does everyone feel about John Constantine's visit into the DCU? Basically as long as we still get Hellblazer, I'm totally cool with it.

Well he did start in the proper DCU, but apparently there will be two Johns. One is going to stay in Vertigo and the other is joining a Justice League team that fights supernatural threats. Both books will be written by Peter Milligan buty who knows what will happen once he leaves.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

dvorak posted:

It was terrible. The loving movie was better than the Search for Salad Man.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bobkatt013 posted:

Well he did start in the proper DCU, but apparently there will be two Johns. One is going to stay in Vertigo and the other is joining a Justice League team that fights supernatural threats. Both books will be written by Peter Milligan buty who knows what will happen once he leaves.

I can get behind this idea.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
So if it's okay to have two versions of John, what's the deal with the announcement that they were pulling all those characters out of Vertigo last year?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

American Vampire was fantastic best issue yet.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

Rhyno posted:

It was terrible. The loving movie was better than the Search for Salad Man.
Agreed. The dialogue was unbelievably awful.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

SkellingTon Loc posted:

So if it's okay to have two versions of John, what's the deal with the announcement that they were pulling all those characters out of Vertigo last year?
They were just bringing a bunch of Vertigo characters back into the DCU is all. But those characters can still exist in their Vertigo incarnations. The two universes are still completely separate from one another. It's the same as have a Marvel 616 Frank Castle and a MAX universe Frank Castle.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Milligan does with Justice League Dark. I like the concept of the book, and his run on Hellblazer has been very solid, I think.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

UncleMonkey posted:

They were just bringing a bunch of Vertigo characters back into the DCU is all. But those characters can still exist in their Vertigo incarnations. The two universes are still completely separate from one another. It's the same as have a Marvel 616 Frank Castle and a MAX universe Frank Castle.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Milligan does with Justice League Dark. I like the concept of the book, and his run on Hellblazer has been very solid, I think.

The only books I am getting from DC are Legion, Hellblazer and Justice League Dark.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

UncleMonkey posted:

On the flip-side, his in-Universe stuff, including that recent Flashpoint Shade thingy, has been pretty much garbage.

I can't think of a writer more "on-or-off" than Pete Milligan. When he's got carte blanche he can write the most brilliant books (Shade, Enigma, X-Force / Statix, Hellblazer) but when he's got to tie-in to... pretty much anything, he drops the ball big time (X-Men, Infinity Inc)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Shameless posted:

On the flip-side, his in-Universe stuff, including that recent Flashpoint Shade thingy, has been pretty much garbage.

I can't think of a writer more "on-or-off" than Pete Milligan. When he's got carte blanche he can write the most brilliant books (Shade, Enigma, X-Force / Statix, Hellblazer) but when he's got to tie-in to... pretty much anything, he drops the ball big time (X-Men, Infinity Inc)

I'd say Infinity, Inc. was the last good in-DC title from him, but... yeah, the past few years after discovering a lot of his solo work and Vertigo stuff have really tarnished the image of the man I had as a consistent and solid writer.

And then DC proceeds to kick me in the dick in that regard too because they just up and stopped putting out Shade trades a second time.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

SkellingTon Loc posted:

There was no announcement. There was a lovely sounding destined-for-failure-like-the-last-three Swamp Thing revamps that was canned, and Unknown Soldier got canceled because it sold poorly. This led to a series of conspiracy theories.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Edge & Christian posted:

There was no announcement. There was a lovely sounding destined-for-failure-like-the-last-three Swamp Thing revamps that was canned, and Unknown Soldier got canceled because it sold poorly. This led to a series of conspiracy theories.

Wasn't that revamp going to be written by China Mieville? I'm not the biggest fan of his stuff, but it would've been really well suited to Swamp Thing and drawn in new readers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

So I am going keep on being that guy and just say that American Vampire Survival of the fittest #2 was spectacular. It felt a little bit different because Snyder doesn't use thought boxes in this issue, which is usually one of his staple tools. The issue was only 19 pages, but it didn't feel like it. I do wish it had been at least 21 pages though i'm positive Snyder could have added more nuance to the issue had he had more space.

Sean Murphy is so good, he makes sure you read the comic slowly due to his dense backgrounds and easter eggs.

• Locked thread