Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Will this be available through somewhere like Amazon MP3 or iTunes? I want it, but these days I'm a little wary of giving out my credit card info to more places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

hedgecore posted:

Here, I found this in my stash. There are a few others that I can't locate right now.
Arrogant Sons of Bitches - Timberwolves at New Jersey

I'm really behind on this, my favorite TBS song :swoon:

I'll be at the tuesday Orlando show for RXB. Final tour :(

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
MORE

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Slapstick - Crooked / Not Tonight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxPugnNSYx8

Filmed the whole set but I'm on lovely airport wifi so the rest will have to wait until I get home.

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

I should thank this thread, before I read it I'd never heard of BTMI! Now that I have, I can't stop listening to them! They're just so good! Thanks!

This is Unsavory
Feb 14, 2009

aricoarena posted:

No they didnt. They all died in a plane crash after the gypsy hill EP came out. So sad, they were such a great band.

I honestly don't get the backlash towards anything Big D does now. God forbid they tried something different. Do you really want a band to sound the same on every record?

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

This is Unsavory posted:

I honestly don't get the backlash towards anything Big D does now. God forbid they tried something different. Do you really want a band to sound the same on every record?

First Big D album I heard was fluent in stroll and I love it, I much prefer it to some of their older stuff I've heard. It's an entirely different sound but I don't really see that as a bad thing either

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

^^^ e: i just didn't like it v:shobon:v no detraction from them.

Xemloth posted:

I should thank this thread, before I read it I'd never heard of BTMI! Now that I have, I can't stop listening to them! They're just so good! Thanks!

i wanted to post them in that Amazing Bands No One Has Ever Heard Of thread but that required effort

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 20, 2011

StrikerObi
Aug 1, 2003
SECharger73 hates sad reminders :[

guppy posted:

Will this be available through somewhere like Amazon MP3 or iTunes? I want it, but these days I'm a little wary of giving out my credit card info to more places.

The checkout system uses PayPal, so if you're cool with going through them then you're all set. I'm sure it'll hit iTunes and Amazon eventually, but I would guess since they self-publish their records now and they are about to head out to Warped Tour, that it probably won't show up on iTunes/Amazon until after Warped.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Obama Yo Mama posted:

^^^ e: i just didn't like it v:shobon:v no detraction from them.

i wanted to post them in that Amazing Bands No One Has Ever Heard Of thread but that required effort

They wouldn't fit in that thread anyway. The baseline for that was around 2k or fewer listeners on last.fm. BTMI! has like 85k.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Xemloth posted:

First Big D album I heard was fluent in stroll and I love it, I much prefer it to some of their older stuff I've heard. It's an entirely different sound but I don't really see that as a bad thing either

You should listen to In With the Out Crowd by Less Than Jake first too! It sounds kind of similar

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

You should listen to In With the Out Crowd by Less Than Jake first too! It sounds kind of similar

Ugh. Don't remind me.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
I saw big d last year in London, they played a tight but forgetable set except for one bit where he was like, 'who here has a musical education?' and since it was a ska concert half the people went 'Yeaa!', 'Well gently caress you guys! I had none whatsoever and i'm touring the world with my awesome band!'.

Also he kept punching and biting the mic.
'

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I hope someone here can give a good recap of AMR15. I still can't process all of the amazingness that occurred. These videos are still giving me goosebumps: http://www.youtube.com/user/iheartfakeshutters

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

This is Unsavory posted:

If by "The same" you mean "good", yes.

Seriously, it's not that they doing different things, it's that they're doing different things badly.

Gabbleduck posted:

I saw big d last year in London, they played a tight but forgetable set except for one bit where he was like, 'who here has a musical education?' and since it was a ska concert half the people went 'Yeaa!', 'Well gently caress you guys! I had none whatsoever and i'm touring the world with my awesome band!'.

Also he kept punching and biting the mic.
'

See, this, this is rad.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

lessthankyle posted:

I hope someone here can give a good recap of AMR15. I still can't process all of the amazingness that occurred. These videos are still giving me goosebumps: http://www.youtube.com/user/iheartfakeshutters

Whole Slapstick set - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PLE60D7A2A06980100

Coleman and myself literally spent the entire Bomb set hitting balloons at you. I love that you never noticed.

Also here's Bomb doing I Don't Love You Anymore with Jeff on a bar or something. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPcBNZ2bUVE

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIi88qEH_SA

I would punch a baby in the dick to see these guys live.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

hedgecore posted:

Whole Slapstick set - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PLE60D7A2A06980100

Coleman and myself literally spent the entire Bomb set hitting balloons at you. I love that you never noticed.

Also here's Bomb doing I Don't Love You Anymore with Jeff on a bar or something. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPcBNZ2bUVE

I was just lost in the sound, maaan.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Some comical drama emerges..

Selecter's (loving excellent) recent single made it to #2 in the Amazon Reggae charts, which is a pretty strong indication theres still a lot of love for the Queen of ska out there.

The problem is, just as Selecter re-emerge (ft Patricia black + Gaps) , the old songwriter, Noel has decided to rename HIS band to ALSO be called The Selecter. Not that anybody recognizes it and its been leading to scenes of drama as pissed off punters turn up to Selecter shows and then get greeted with some wierd second rate version with no Patricia or Gaps.

So yeah brits, if your going to a Selecter gig , only settle for the genuine article. No patricia, no go.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
Having just bought Streetlight's album Somewhere in the Between and bloody loved it, I thought here would be a good place to come to ask 'what's next?'

So, a) where should I go next (forwards or backwards in time) with this band?
and b) who else should I try?

Just to give you some extra info, aside from the fact that the whole album is just tear-jerkingly good, I'm a sucker for nice fast brass sections, especially when it suddenly goes double time without warning.

I love the 'naughty' feeling I get from a good ska song (can't think of any other word to describe the urge you get to sneak around and dance).

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Streetlight Manifesto's Everything Goes Numb is just as good or better than SITB. You can choose between Catch 22's Keasbey Nights or Streetlight's version of it, I prefer the original (Catch 22). Streetlight also has an album of covers called 99 Songs of Revolution that I enjoy but don't listen to like their original material.

In order my favorite of those 4 is EGN > KN > SITB > 99SOR, but the first three are all some of my favorite albums ever so it's really a tossup.

Tomas Kalnoky (lead singer, songwriter, guitarist of these two bands) also has an acoustic side project called Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution that you would probably enjoy very much. So far they've only put out one EP called A Call to Arms, but it's fantastic.

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

It's laundry day; I'm down to my priest outfit.
I took some pictures during Asian Man -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/63563730@N06/sets/72157626921431315/

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Apprently, BtMI is playing Syracuse on Monday now. Holy poo poo. I get to see them twice.

Sharon is Karen
Dec 29, 2008
The new Big D is so much better that that last poo poo record they put out. I don't even know if it's a good album, I just know it's better than that last piece of poo poo. Like most of their albums though, it could lose about 20 minutes.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Personally I think SITB is Streetlight's best album. Don't get me wrong, I loving love EGN, but I find myself skipping songs to get to my favorite songs on EGN whenever I listen to it. At one point or another, each song on SITB has been my favorite from the album. Each song is just so loving fantastic.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Everything Goes Numb is the best streetlight album, in my opinion. Well, bye!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

everything goes numb is the better album but you have to measure this distance between them in nanometers

also, what the hell songs are you skipping on that album? the only song i ever skip is moment of silence and it's usually because i'm so loving jacked up over the other songs that the slow tempo throws me off of my punchin dudes in the face mode

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
BLaueghahg Vocal Coach :swoon:

I am SO PUMPED for this album

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DONT READ THIS POST posted:

BLaueghahg Vocal Coach :swoon:

I am SO PUMPED for this album

Vocal Coach is absolutely incredible live. Just saying.

e: Forgot I managed to snag the setlist last night. Here's my attempt at remembering a chaotic 90 minutes and translating sharpie on the envelope for one of the higher guitar strings:

25 (This one was easy!), Everybody That You Love, "Long" (no idea), Hurricane Waves, All Ages Shows/Big Ending/Sanawon, Vocal Coach, 493 Ruth, Stand There Till You're Sober, Unlimited Soup, Salad, and Breadsticks Days (this absolutely loving ruled), "Canada", "Pink T", I think they played Showerbeers right about here but it's not on the list, Kings of Minneapolis pts III and IV, "Can't", Even Winning Feels Bad, Sort of Like Being Pumped, I Don't Love You Anymore, and then the encore was Saddr Weirdr and a couple that I don't remember because the last fifteen minutes are just a blur.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 27, 2011

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

I hear Jeff got engaged. Does this mean his songs will be happy and optimistic about the future?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
God I hope not.

After finding out that Everybody That You Love is, partially, about a time Jeff and a friend saw a drug deal go down and had to talk their way out of being killed (now they're friends with one of the guys on facebook!), I like that song a lot more.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i didn't think it was possible for me to like that song more and well here we are

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
For some reason I think they got away by telling the guy that Jeff's friend was related to someone who worked with/for Wu-Tang Clan, if you wanted it to be a bit more awesome.

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
Hey who did I meet at AMR15? I know Kyle and Ryan are on here, who else? I was this kid (on the right)

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

So wait, are The Suicide Machines actually back together or what? It was always cool to have a high profile ska band that lived near me.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The Bosstones are gonna be opening for Dropkick at Fenway Sept 8th and 9th. I guess I'll go to one show considering I live here, but the lack of GA and seats only kinds makes me feel uneasy. At least they're gonna set up right on top of the bullpen and play to the bleachers there so you're close.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Thornes posted:

I hear Jeff got engaged. Does this mean his songs will be happy and optimistic about the future?

And I was going to ask him to gay marry me at the Vacation listening party.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Big D's new album is streaming here.

http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/exclusive_album_stream_big_d_and_the_kids_tables_for_the_damned_the_dumb_th/

It's basically How it Goes Pt 2. Like all Big D albums it's 17 tracks when it should be 10 tracks. Like all Big D music I wish I could put the 'singer' on mute, his vocals seemingly act to sabotage the music underneath; Stringers is a dissonant trainwreck with his vocals over top, and on other tracks they give him heavy dub-echo and he's warbling off-key intentionally and seriously what the fuuuuck do people actually like this sing-song bullshit. Basically I'd just skip tracks 5-8.

Also I listened to that LTJ EP and Can't Yell Any Louder seriously sounds like an old Five Iron Frenzy song, I had some weird musical PTSD where I suddenly remembered all the lyrics to oh canada that I had forgotten a long time ago.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 29, 2011

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

Also I listened to that LTJ EP and Can't Yell Any Louder seriously sounds like an old Five Iron Frenzy song, I had some weird musical PTSD where I suddenly remembered all the lyrics to oh canada that I had forgotten a long time ago.

This sounds like sex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

hedgecore fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 1, 2011