Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Kennel posted:

What is the best way to learn to play Europa Universalis III?

I'm familiar with Civilizations and Total Wars.

If you don't have the expansions yet, get them. The last one Divine Wind is not crucial but adds some gui tweaks that are kinda nice.

Austria can be a good starting country since it does not have a coast line and has weak neighbors.

for specific questions head on over to the paradox thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3029211

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Erfsom posted:

Anything I should know for Dungeon Siege 2 including the expansion?

- It's a looong game compared to DS3. If you want to see the end of it solo prepare to set aside a lot of time.

- Use the intro/tutorial to get a feel for what playstyle you like, then stick with it. Realizing halfway through act 2 that melee is boring poo poo and you want to cast spells is not a good idea unless you want to grind a lot.

- You can't do anything with the ghosts until act 2.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
Downloading The Witcher 2 right now on steam. Any advice on what/what not to do?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mister_Eel posted:

Downloading The Witcher 2 right now on steam. Any advice on what/what not to do?

From the thread in Games:

And it's true! Quen is handy because it blocks all incoming damage, and also stops enemy hits from interrupting your attacks, so you want to have it on before entering a fight if at all possible. At higher levels it also reflects damage back towards the enemy and lasts longer, so it's a pretty drat handy sign to use.

Realize, however, that it costs 1 vigor to cast, and while the sign is active, vigor will not regenerate; considering that you only start with 2 points of vigor, and that the total amount of vigor you have also affects how much damage you do with your sword (i think?), you need to keep an eye on that vigor bar before you recast it or top it up while it's still active.

But yeah, quen rules pretty hard.

If you find that your inventory gets overloaded quickly, take a look at your crafting materials - things like leather, iron ore, and timber weigh one pound each and can add up quickly, don't hoard too much of it.

Towards the end of chapter 1, you have a choice between speaking with one of two characters to progress the plot; the character you choose has fairly drastic effects on how the next chapter plays out, so don't choose randomly.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

From the thread in Games:

And it's true! Quen is handy because it blocks all incoming damage, and also stops enemy hits from interrupting your attacks, so you want to have it on before entering a fight if at all possible. At higher levels it also reflects damage back towards the enemy and lasts longer, so it's a pretty drat handy sign to use.

Realize, however, that it costs 1 vigor to cast, and while the sign is active, vigor will not regenerate; considering that you only start with 2 points of vigor, and that the total amount of vigor you have also affects how much damage you do with your sword (i think?), you need to keep an eye on that vigor bar before you recast it or top it up while it's still active.

But yeah, quen rules pretty hard.

If you find that your inventory gets overloaded quickly, take a look at your crafting materials - things like leather, iron ore, and timber weigh one pound each and can add up quickly, don't hoard too much of it.

Towards the end of chapter 1, you have a choice between speaking with one of two characters to progress the plot; the character you choose has fairly drastic effects on how the next chapter plays out, so don't choose randomly.

Awesome. Thanks dude.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Kennel posted:

What is the best way to learn to play Europa Universalis III?

I'm familiar with Civilizations and Total Wars.

Trial and error. Your first time you'll probably drive a superpower into abject poverty. My first game was as France, back when it was stupidly overpowered and I kept all of my hundred regiments in Paris and wondered why my manpower was eternally zero. Try it out, ask questions in the Paradox thread, try again. Before long, you'll be invading Sweden as the Mughal Empire.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Anything for Supreme Ruler 2020 gold?

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
What path (good or evil) is the strongest in Bioshock; visa vie weapon arsenal.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Jarl posted:

You get slightly more Adam going the evil route but it doesn't add up to *that* much. There's no differences in what weapons you get or how you can upgrade them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Jarl posted:

I say going good is slightly better. Bad gets you slightly more adam, but good gets you a bunch of free stuff in care packages.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Arcsech posted:

You get slightly more Adam going the evil route but it doesn't add up to *that* much. There's no differences in what weapons you get or how you can upgrade them.

I thought it was the other way round; You get slightly more Adam *per sister* going the evil route, but if you free them instead of harvesting every 3 or so saved sisters they leave you a care package with extra Adam and tonics you cant get elsewhere which more than compensates. Basically in the short term harvesting would seem to be better, but in the long term rescuing them is marginally better. Whichever you choose, go whole hog, either harvest them all or rescue them all, there arent any bonuses for mixing the two.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I did the math a long time ago and found that full evil gives you about 10% more ADAM overall while going full evil gets you an ability that adds extra ADAM for saving the sisters. You won't ever have enough ADAM to buy everything but at the same time you'll never need everything. Level 3 freeze and that bee launching ability are game winners.

Big Sister? Frozen + BEEEEES!!! Melee with the drill until she stops flailing then freeze + bees again. Rinse repeat.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Jarl posted:

You will probably end up hitting people with the wrench a lot so look for upgrades to that.

If you were thinking of shooting people the shotgun is pretty good. The aiming isn't that precise in bioshock and the enemies can move fairly quickly when they want to so a weapon with a bit of spread is handy. Its alternative ammo the electro buckshot is fantastic but don't waste it on chumps. It stuns the enemy and does extra damage so save it for when you need to take some tough sob down.

At some point you get a camera. You can't shoot anyone with it but if you take photos of the different enemy types they then they die faster because your increased knowledge translates to a damage bonus. So in a way it is the most powerful weapon.

I found the shock power the easiest to use. You can stun one guy or stun a bunch of people who are standing in water. Obviously enemies standing in water is pretty common in bioshock.

I found the idea of offing a child kind of abhorrent and saving a child is pretty rewarding in game so I never played evil. That being said I never really felt short of adam. You aren't going to want to upgrade all the powers you get.

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.
Metroid Prime 3. Hit me.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

deepshock posted:

Metroid Prime 3. Hit me.

-Later on in the game there is a room you can go to in Elysia that will launch probes to all the planets in the game and show you where energy tanks and missle tanks are hidden. useful if you want to 100% the game.

-As with the first two games, scan everything to earn backstory, give you hints on what to do to proceed, and give info on your enemies and how to defeat them.

-Due to the nature of Wii Remote aiming you can move your shots away from a locked on target. However while locked on your target will always be on center screen so it shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: Seems the wiki already has a page with some more useful tips: http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Metroid_Prime_3:_Corruption

OptimusShr fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 28, 2011

YJT
Oct 27, 2010
I've got Persona 3 and 4 coming for the PS2 and would appreciate any general tips on them but I have a specific question, Persona 4 arrived already but 3 won't be here for a few days, does it matter at all what order I play them in? Because I kinda want to start already but can hold off if it's worth it.

Also, do I miss anything much by not playing the other games in the series? Plotwise I mean, I'm sure they're good in their own right.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

YJT posted:

I've got Persona 3 and 4 coming for the PS2 and would appreciate any general tips on them but I have a specific question, Persona 4 arrived already but 3 won't be here for a few days, does it matter at all what order I play them in? Because I kinda want to start already but can hold off if it's worth it.

Also, do I miss anything much by not playing the other games in the series? Plotwise I mean, I'm sure they're good in their own right.

No, P3 and P4 are more or less standalone from the other Persona games. There are a few callbacks you might miss (The online game in P3, for example, is Innocent Sin Online. Innocent Sin is the first game of Persona 2), but nothing major. Since you're playing on PS2, you might want to play P3 first. There's a big reference to P3 in Persona 4, but the big thing is mechanics. They ironed out a lot of issues between P3 and P4, and it might be hard to back to P3's system after P4. Most notably, you have no way of directly telling your teammates what to do in P3.

As a side note, did you get P3 or P3: FES? There are a few differences between the two.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

YJT posted:

You'll probably want to play P3 first, because P4 adds a lot of features and removes some bullshit that you'll miss in P3 if you play that second (controllable team-mates being the main addition).

P4 is set a few years after P3 in the same continuity, but isn't a direct sequel. Persona 1 and 2 are only vaguely linked, so don't worry about missing them.

Edit: Beaten like a red-headed stepchild.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Plotwise there are no real connections aside from cameos and name drops. The stories themselves are self-contained.

The main reason you would want to wait to play 3 first (this will probably be true no matter if you got just 3 or 3:FES) is that Persona 4 made a number of gameplay changes that are largely for the better and it can be difficult to go back to 3 after having already played 4 (the rerelease of 3 for the PSP incorporated a lot of these changes, but since you already ordered them this is moot; also P3P went to almost completely text-based for the cutscenes, which some people feel makes them lose some dramatic effect).

The wiki (beforeiplay.com, I think) has a bunch of really good tips on it already, but the main thing I would say for both games is that trying to do a max-social link game your first time through is folly and will probably make the experience less fun (and in 3 it can be extremely punishing since you have very little room for error if you mess something up). Explore and do things at your own pace and you'll have a lot more fun with the games. 4 doesn't even have a reward for doing it.

Fake edit: Beaten on some of this but for real, don't stress out about social links.

YJT
Oct 27, 2010
Cool, thanks for the info, it was just the standard persona 3, not FES. Think I'll probably wait to play then, I had the same issue recently with dead rising where the sequel made the original seem a bit of a slog so the gameplay tips sound like good advice.

VVV oh well it's done now, it was half the price of FES and I didn't expect the differences to be huge.

YJT fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 28, 2011

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's pretty bad you got the original Persona 3 instead of FES. FES added a continuation of the story called "The Answer" and quite a few changes gameplay wise that made the game a bit more manageable for the average player, basically it's the "directors cut" version of the game and should be the version to get instead of the original.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I've been playing EDF2017 for 360 with my friend and I'm wondering if there are some good tips for playing on Hard. Is this a generally hard as gently caress game or do we suck rear end or are we just not picking up enough items/redoing enough levels?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I need some beginners' advice for Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir. I haven't previously played Neverwinter Nights 2 or the first one, and just picked up 2 because Storm of Zehir sounds like the sort of RPG I want right now.

Before entering the hold at the beginning of the game, it says my party needs to be level 3. It gives me the option of auto-leveling but says things might end up distibuted not how I want them. The alternative would be to level them up manually, and I assume that means in other scenarios?

Also I found out how to edit the game to increase the number of members I can add to my party. Would I be breaking anything if I bumped this up to 5 or 6? I understand the original intent was for a party of 4 original characters + 2 plot characters, but I'd really like to use more of my original characters instead, and allow myself to make more specialized characters.

Also, is a Druid just as viable a healer as a Cleric?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Rollersnake posted:

Not really. Good/neutral Clerics can "spontaneously cast" healing spells. Which means that they can prepare whatever spells they want and decide to sacrifice a prepared spell to cast a healing spell of the same spell level at any time. If a Druid wants to heal, they've got to prepare a bunch of healing spells. Druids also tend to learn healing spells at later spell levels than Clerics.

On the bright side, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and Druids get access to some really great protective buffs, like barkskin and stoneskin.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 29, 2011

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

Rollersnake posted:

I need some beginners' advice for Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir. I haven't previously played Neverwinter Nights 2 or the first one, and just picked up 2 because Storm of Zehir sounds like the sort of RPG I want right now.

Before entering the hold at the beginning of the game, it says my party needs to be level 3. It gives me the option of auto-leveling but says things might end up distibuted not how I want them. The alternative would be to level them up manually, and I assume that means in other scenarios?

Also I found out how to edit the game to increase the number of members I can add to my party. Would I be breaking anything if I bumped this up to 5 or 6? I understand the original intent was for a party of 4 original characters + 2 plot characters, but I'd really like to use more of my original characters instead, and allow myself to make more specialized characters.

The leveling up thing basically works like this; you create 4 (or 6, or whatever) characters via the book on the boat, and they all get enough experience to reach level 4 (as an ECL+0 race, lower if their race has an ECL). It's really just a choice of manually leveling them up and selecting what you want for them or having their skills/feats/stats selected automatically.

You're not really missing much if you run with a party of 6 player-created PCs as far as I'm aware (I've never used NPC companions in SoZ) other than an evil sidequest where you feed the NPC companions to an Eater of Souls.

In addition to what was said above about healing, I'd like to point out that in NWN games, while healing is a nice thing to have, you don't really have a traditional 'healer' - the combat is more about having as many buffs up as you can and just not getting hit in the first place. You can get through the game pretty easily with a Druid and no Cleric, but then again you can make it through with almost any combination of characters (especially if you are using 6 PCs).

Here's my request, X3 Gold Edition - I may or may not have asked about this game before in this thread but I'm giving it another shake. I don't know a thing about it. Is it viable to use a gamepad? Obviously I'd need a mouse/kb nearby but if I could fly ships around with a gamepad that would be cool. Last time I played I never made it past the tutorial but I want to change that this time.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I just started Dead Rising 2 on the xbox 360, anything in particular I should know?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Ulio posted:

I just started Dead Rising 2 on the xbox 360, anything in particular I should know?

- The knife gloves are one of the best combo weapons in the game and both weapons you need for them (boxing gloves and a knife) are both in the Royal Flush Plaza. Use them. Love them.

- Unless you're doing a Saint Run (which is not recommended for a first playthrough at all), I'd advise that you ignore the survivors who ask for Zombrex. There's only like 5 free ones in the game, and they're all in really out of the way places, and they cost ~20,000 dollars at the store. That's valuable stuff and your daughter needs it, gently caress those guys.

- Be prepared when you fight the Chef psychopath. He's basically the Adam the Clown of Dead Rising 2, and he will wreck you if you just wander in with 2 healing items and half a sword or whatever.

- The Golden rule of Dead Rising is to not take it seriously at all. If you want to say fooey to the questline and just throw dildos at zombies for 72 hours, go for it. This picture puts what I'm trying to say pretty succinctly:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

What should I know about Total War: Shogun 2 other than how to write out its title? I'm looking for both campaign and battle tips (land and sea, why the hell not)

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
How's about Suikoden III? I think I read that you can't miss the 108 stars, but other than that, are there any things to watch out for? Any gamebreakers on offense like in V?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Ulio posted:

http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Dead_Rising_2

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Abugadu posted:

How's about Suikoden III? I think I read that you can't miss the 108 stars, but other than that, are there any things to watch out for? Any gamebreakers on offense like in V?

Nash is pretty great.

Edit for actual content.

Difficulty of starting characters from easy to hard is Chris, Geddoe, Hugo. Not that any Suikoden is too hard but Hugo you start with 3 guys and nothing and Chris starts the game with 6 armored knights.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 29, 2011

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
FFVII?

exit: I'm not an OCD RPG player and don't care too much if I miss any rare items or story things. I have heard the game has some ambiguous translations that can gently caress up a boss or something, though?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Abugadu posted:

There are a few stars you can permanently miss out on in Geddoe's Ch. 3 Chapter 5 during a part where you're controlling Geddoe, and I believe they're the only ones in the game. Without spoiling too much, it comes down to a fight or flight decision and you need to not flee regardless of how much the game makes it seem like it's not going to progress until you do.

Also prioritize Thomas's storyline as it's through it that you get your castle, and you want to give Thomas first dibs on recruitable characters as he needs them more than any of the three main PCs at first (you can't share party members between protagonists). Thomas's storyline opens up once you've completed either 1 chapter of Geddoe, 2 chapters of Chris, or 3 chapters of Hugo.

Also, personal opinion, but I feel the overall story works better if you play Hugo Ch. 1 before Chris Ch. 1. It doesn't change anything, just the order in which you see certain events.

Edit: Fixed some errors. It's been a while since I've played Suikoden 3.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 29, 2011

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

Popcorn posted:

FFVII?

exit: I'm not an OCD RPG player and don't care too much if I miss any rare items or story things. I have heard the game has some ambiguous translations that can gently caress up a boss or something, though?

I'm replaying this for about the 3rd time and not as a 13 year old for once so I'm having a blast just blowing right through it without searching every nook and cranny. You still get everything you would have experienced otherwise except for a couple odd items.

You can still stomp every boss even if you're just playing at your own pace without grabbing every item/materia/weapon/character and if you want to beat the ultra-hard optional bosses it'll never be too late to consult a how-to guide which you will have to do if you really want to kill them without min/maxing or slamming your controller against the wall.

There are two optional characters in the game that you are guaranteed to miss. IMO they're both pretty cool so here is a guide on how to get them. Both of them are huge fan favorites so they are totally worth getting and it's really painless. The guide doesn't seem to have any huge spoilers either! Also I don't remember any significant translation bugs so I looked them up, turns out they're all really minor and mostly typos that get the point across anyway. v:v:v

vv oh yeah, that guy.

frogg fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 29, 2011

YJT
Oct 27, 2010

Popcorn posted:

FFVII?

It's the first boss that refers to and you just need to do the opposite of the hint that comes up. There are confusing moments in the translation but nothing that'll gently caress you up much. Also no need to be at all OCD, it's a pretty easy game with a fairly intuitive and simple system.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

oneof3steves posted:

I just picked up Giants: Citizen Kabuto from GoG. Anything I should know before diving into it?

In the final mission of the Meccarins, the game tells you to build a base first. In my opinion, skip that and just rush straight to the enemy. I've played the game a lot, and could never beat the mission the proper way. There's just too many enemies attacking your base after about 30 minutes.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

YJT posted:

It's the first boss that refers to and you just need to do the opposite of the hint that comes up.

Wait, what? Doesn't the hint tell you not to attack when its tail is raised, which is correct?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ToxicFrog posted:

Wait, what? Doesn't the hint tell you not to attack when its tail is raised, which is correct?

It says something like "Attack when the tail is up," then a new text box that says something along the lines of "It'll do a counter attack." Taken together they're fine, but it has a rather unfortunate place for a line break.

YJT
Oct 27, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

The PS1 version says "Barret, be careful. Attack while it's tail's up. It's gonna counterattack with its laser."

You could read it with an "if you" implied in there but it's pretty misleading. I think it's fixed on the PC version though maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pretty sure it says the same thing on the PC version. I always read it as "[If you] attack while its tail is up, it will counterattack with its laser", which - especially since you get this warning the first time it raises its tail - seems pretty unambiguous to me.