Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

InsanityRocks posted:

can someone please tell me how to get these free psp games ive got my 2 free from the ps3 but ill be buggered iff i can find anything to say get your free games here on the psp store

After figuring out how to use the shift key and punctuation, go to the PSN store on your PSP, there should be a big "WELCOME BACK" banner. After that you can figure it out by mashing buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I believe you can also do it all on your PS3 then transfer the titles to your PSP. Might be easier if you are...more familiar with the PS3 :P

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Is FF8 on PSP still pretty unplayable if you use PSX images? I remember there being so many issues with popsloader incompatibilities etc.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
I just finished Legend of Heroes: Trail in the Sky. It has probably one of the more enjoyable written for a JRPG that I've seen in a long time,the interactions between the characters are pretty great as well, which seems to be a rare thing now days from JRPGS. Granted this game is meant for a more young audience judging from the relatively bloodless storyline and content but there are many moments where you'll be so :3 by the characters that you'll end up liking this game. I hope Xseed will translate the remaining 2 series for sure. A big surprise gem for me and should be on the highly recommended list.

It's also on special on Amazon apparently, the limited edition as well. It's such a shame that the PSP gets bad rep for garbage RPGS years ago only to have a few of the great ones translated and brought over to the West in the last 2 years.

bubblegumbo0 fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 26, 2011

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

bubblegumbo0 posted:

I just finished Legend of Heroes: Trail in the Sky. It's has probably one of the more enjoyable written for a JRPG that I've seen in a long time,the interactions between the characters are pretty great as well, which seems to be a rare thing now days from JRPGS. Granted this game is meant for a more young audience judging from the relatively bloodless storyline and content but there are many moments where you'll be so :3 by the characters that you'll end up liking this game. I hope Xseed will translate the remaining 2 series for sure. A big surprise gem for me and should be on the highly recommended list.

It's also on special on Amazon apparently, the limited edition as well. It's such a shame that the PSP gets bad rep for garbage RPGS years ago only to have a few of the great ones translated and brought over to the West in the last 2 years.

I just picked this up, and I'm really liking it so far. Upbeat and cheerful, reminds me a bit of Grandia and the Lunar games. It's the first JRPG I can think of since Persona 4 to not bore me to tears.

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Legend of Heroes: Trail in the Sky

I'm about 3 or so hours in and the combat system feels either underwhelming simple or unnecessarily complicated. I think it'd work better if it battles were a bit more fleshed out or if the whole movement system went away. I'm sure combat will flesh out as I get more abilities. Other than that, the game is very charming. While it can sure be cliche, it never sticks out.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

So, the other day I picked up War of the Lions and I've been playing it since. I like it a good bit, but in talking to some of my friends who've played it for PSX, I'm starting to feel like getting anywhere in it is going to be a chore.

The faith stat causes people to quit my party? My enemies' astrological signs matter?

Can I safely ignore all this bullshit and just play the game, or am I better off just playing FFT: Advanced again?

The only chore is in the beginning of the game. The difficuly curve is immediate and sharp, but once you're at Chapter 2 (which links up with the intro/prologue mission you played with Gafgarion and Agrias) you basically don't need to grind. You get a steady stream of unique NPCs to play with while you level your custom guys.

The faith stat, if you boost it too high, will cause soldiers to be unable to deal with the war or something, same if you reduce it too far. I never messed with it, and never ran into problems. The astrological signs, either.

The game will be tougher than FFTA, but much more rewarding. Also I'm pretty sure they reduced the bonus JP from Gained JP Boost. For an easy time until you get your bearings, change one person in your party to a Chemist and collect JP until you can learn Auto-Potion. The rest of your party will get Chemist JP for fighting alongside him, and you can repeat the process (getting quicker each time since they've already gotten some JP) for everyone. Either partway through or after Chapter 1 sell all your Potions and carry only Hi-Potions for them to use.

I'm afraid I'm coming off as much of a sperglord as your friends :shobon:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

bubblegumbo0 posted:

I just finished Legend of Heroes: Trail in the Sky. It's has probably one of the more enjoyable written for a JRPG that I've seen in a long time,the interactions between the characters are pretty great as well, which seems to be a rare thing now days from JRPGS. Granted this game is meant for a more young audience judging from the relatively bloodless storyline and content but there are many moments where you'll be so :3 by the characters that you'll end up liking this game. I hope Xseed will translate the remaining 2 series for sure. A big surprise gem for me and should be on the highly recommended list.

Man, this game. The writing is actually fun with a high quality localization job done. But whenever anything is animated on the screen i want to take a hacksaw to the disc.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I've been bringing my PSP to work today, and I'm in need of games I can pick up quickly, but also put down as quick. Sometimes I'll only have a minute to play, other times 15 minutes.

Today I tried a few games, and Half-Minute Hero was ideal for this purpose. It's quick-paced, doesn't require sound and has subtitles. Cave Story worked great too. My guess is RPGs work best, but enlighten me!

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Grawl posted:

I've been bringing my PSP to work today, and I'm in need of games I can pick up quickly, but also put down as quick. Sometimes I'll only have a minute to play, other times 15 minutes.

Today I tried a few games, and Half-Minute Hero was ideal for this purpose. It's quick-paced, doesn't require sound and has subtitles. Cave Story worked great too. My guess is RPGs work best, but enlighten me!

Policenauts is a good one if you can get a version configured for psp. It's mostly a visual novel with some actiony bits. I guess you'll lose out on some japanese voiced dialogue and music but it's definitely playable without sound.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It just occurred to me that over in Japan there is literally no way for PSP Go users to purchase games, there hasn't been for two months now, and there's no sign of when there ever will be again. If the Go wasn't dead in Japan before, it is double-dead now.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

My favorite part about the PSP Go was when Sony themselves admitted how stupid it was and how big a failure it is.

Also yeah Policenauts is a fun little game you can turn off and on for funny dialog and quests and exploration and all that good poo poo. Kojima ownnnnnnns

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

You broke my sitar, motherfucker.
Cave Story? Policenauts?!

I'm assuming this all requires homebrew, which is a pain on my PSP-3000.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle
Well I'm playing through Killzone Liberation which I picked up free from the Welcome Back thing and it works well so far as a pick up and play thing, it doesn't seem to have any audio that's worth listening to! There's also Pursuit Force (also free from the promo) which is perfect for short bursts but it has a really annoying bug where you may not be able to put it on suspend/sleep mode at a moments notice.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Policenaut posted:

My favorite part about the PSP Go was when Sony themselves admitted how stupid it was and how big a failure it is.

Also yeah Policenauts is a fun little game you can turn off and on for funny dialog and quests and exploration and all that good poo poo. Kojima ownnnnnnns

Um, except it's small and doesn't have a battery-wasting drive and overall looks nice as hell? I would have bought one if I didn't already own a PSP, probably.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Um, except it's small and doesn't have a battery-wasting drive and overall looks nice as hell? I would have bought one if I didn't already own a PSP, probably.
The main problem is that at least at the moment, so many PSP games are UMD only. I guess they never got a lot of publishers to accept digital distro, which I am not surprised at with how change-resistant Japanese companies are.

edit: they must be having a HELL of a time getting them all to accept digital distro for the PSV, if they really do intend to have digital versions of each and every game available at launch.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 28, 2011

XionPi
May 8, 2006

Doorselfin posted:

Cave Story? Policenauts?!

I'm assuming this all requires homebrew, which is a pain on my PSP-3000.

You'd be surprised how hassle-free it is. There's a CFW for 6.39, the most current official firmware. Google 6.39 PRO-B7.

Technically you don't even need to do that. Google the PSP Homebrew Store. Works on official firmware, and all stuff downloaded from there also works on official firmware.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

frogg posted:

Well I'm playing through Killzone Liberation which I picked up free from the Welcome Back thing and it works well so far as a pick up and play thing, it doesn't seem to have any audio that's worth listening to! There's also Pursuit Force (also free from the promo) which is perfect for short bursts but it has a really annoying bug where you may not be able to put it on suspend/sleep mode at a moments notice.

Do I have to log in to PSN through my PSP to get this welcome back game or can I do this on my computer?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Shuhei "The guy responsible for running the company that controls every major Sony second party" Yoshida posted:

IGN: Was the PSP Go a failure in your mind? Was it maybe just too early for an all-digital console to be introduced sort of mid-cycle with the original PSP?

Yoshida: We learned a lot going through the PSP Go experience. From a hardware design standpoint, we quickly learned after launch that, while the hardware guys worked very hard to make it small and more compact - the screen was smaller and the buttons were thinner - and from a gameplay control standpoint, it was compromised. Because of the premium price that the hardware had to have over the PSP-3000, due to internal memory and additional parts, it was a very confusing proposition to consumers. They have to spend more money to purchase a device where the game control is less satisfying because of smaller buttons and a smaller screen. The tradeoff was not in favor to support the pricing. That was one problem.

The second big problem was not all PSP games on UMD were available to purchase on the PlayStation Store. We explored ways how we can help get people's UMD library on PSP Go, but there are many difficulties that prevented us from providing services like that.

PSP Go was a premium product that naturally targeted core audiences, but the core audiences are the ones that have lots of UMD games. That was another confusing factor. There are many things we learned from PSP Go, but we are happy that there are some people that liked it.

"So we made this smaller, cooler looking PSP but uhhhh it turns out it sucks to use and you can't play monster hunter but we'll still charge $250 for it. oh and you have to rebuy all your games but sorry we don't have every game on the playstation store and welp we kinda forgot to follow through on the whole 'don't rebuy your games' thing even though the only people who might want one are people who already own a ton of umds. but hey, i guess SOME people liked it right?" - one of the most important people at Sony Computer Entertainment

I even own a PSP Go and admit the thing sucks. The battery life is basically the same as the 3000's.

edit: what i'm getting at is that when one of the biggest big wigs at Sony is saying stuff like this, it kinda speaks volumes about Sony's view on the unit itself. The Go was getting outsold by the PS2 in Japan a couple months after its launch, that's not a good thing.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 28, 2011

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

GoldenNugget posted:

Do I have to log in to PSN through my PSP to get this welcome back game or can I do this on my computer?

I just tried it out on my PSP and I can see the banner for the welcome back page so it'll work through there. I'm also 99% sure that you can also use MediaGo on your computer to do it as well! I think I picked them up on my PS3, however. Anyway, the offer ends in less than a week so you should hurry up and redeem your games!

Policenaut posted:

PSPGo sux

It sure does! I'm one of those chumps that picked it up for $250 and I'd still have buyers remorse if not for those wonderful hackers and pirates with their homebrew (and :filez:). Throwing homebrew on the Go instantly transforms it from the biggest piece of poo poo ever to a kinda cool looking handheld on par with the other models.

Oh and all the games I brought from the store will be Vita compatible on day one so that's something I guess. :v:

frogg fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 28, 2011

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Policenaut posted:

and you can't play monster hunter

I soloed Fatalis on my PSP Go yesterday without dying. The PSP Go is great to carry around, and I'll probably keep it until the vita arrives. gently caress the claw, and now with the vita coming gently caress it for good.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I sold all my UMDs and bought a Go... just bought different games. All I miss is Lumines, but I have other versions if I really need a fix.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

nerdz posted:

I soloed Fatalis on my PSP Go yesterday without dying. The PSP Go is great to carry around, and I'll probably keep it until the vita arrives. gently caress the claw, and now with the vita coming gently caress it for good.

Well, maybe that needed the qualifier "comfortably"

Seconding "gently caress the claw" when Vita arrives, because god drat that's like the most bizarre stockholm syndrome ever when it comes to controls v. Good Game.

edit: gently caress I have to ask, how are you playing Monster Hunter comfortably on a Go?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Keep in mind that while I'm defending the Go as a decent piece of hardware, we all got to admit how lovely was its support by sony.

Also, it's pretty cool syncing it to a PS3 gamepad and connecting it to a TV.

Policenaut posted:

Well, maybe that needed the qualifier "comfortably"

Seconding "gently caress the claw" when Vita arrives, because god drat that's like the most bizarre stockholm syndrome ever when it comes to controls v. Good Game.

edit: gently caress I have to ask, how are you playing Monster Hunter comfortably on a Go?

Actually, I used to get lots of hand cramps while playing on my PSP-1000, and the claw really hurt. At least for my hands, the Go feels way more comfortable. I just don't use the claw, abuse the camera centering button and only turn the camera when strictly necessary.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 28, 2011

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I like the Go because it's literally the only modern handheld video game machine that can comfortably fit into a pocket. The old PSPs are huge as gently caress, I can't stand carrying Nintendo's stupid plastic bricks, and the Vita is apparently going to be even larger. :argh:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Another sad thing I'm willing to admit is that I will buy an XPeria Play the second they announce a full fledged monster hunter game for it, if it ever happens.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

nerdz posted:

Another sad thing I'm willing to admit is that I will buy an XPeria Play the second they announce a full fledged monster hunter game for it, if it ever happens.

Fortunately it'll be a PlayStation Suite game and you can just download it onto the Vita.

Sure as hell wish MINECRAFT on Xperia was PS :mad:

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008

frogg posted:

I just tried it out on my PSP and I can see the banner for the welcome back page so it'll work through there. I'm also 99% sure that you can also use MediaGo on your computer to do it as well! I think I picked them up on my PS3, however. Anyway, the offer ends in less than a week so you should hurry up and redeem your games!

It sure does! I'm one of those chumps that picked it up for $250 and I'd still have buyers remorse if not for those wonderful hackers and pirates with their homebrew (and :filez:). Throwing homebrew on the Go instantly transforms it from the biggest piece of poo poo ever to a kinda cool looking handheld on par with the other models.

Oh and all the games I brought from the store will be Vita compatible on day one so that's something I guess. :v:

Awesome! Which games should I get?

Also it says I need to purchase "Welcome Back: Free PSP game 1"....

Okay it works now!

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 28, 2011

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy
I don't really understand where all the hate for the PSP Go comes from. I have a psp go running 6.20 Pro-B7 which means I can have any game I want, Kingdom Hearts BBS included. Maybe I like it because I didn't have a PSP before so I didn't buy any UMDs or because I got it for $100 but I love my PSP Go. It's lightweight, has a great battery life and I personally find it to be very comfortable.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!

Lenaway posted:

I don't really understand where all the hate for the PSP Go comes from. I have a psp go running 6.20 Pro-B7 which means I can have any game I want, Kingdom Hearts BBS included. Maybe I like it because I didn't have a PSP before so I didn't buy any UMDs or because I got it for $100 but I love my PSP Go. It's lightweight, has a great battery life and I personally find it to be very comfortable.

Yes we all know how great the Go is once we can get any games free on it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sony flogging the horse's putrid corpse.

UMD $15 "Dual Packs". Nothing riveting at this point.

Secret Agent Clank and Daxter;
Syphon Filter: Logan’s Shadow and Killzone Liberation;
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror and SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs: Fireteam Bravo

I really wish SCEA would update the PSN prices to reflect retail (and their own budget brandings).

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
EU PSN has that Essentials line, you'd think they'd have something similar in NA.

Why isn't Secret Agent Clank on EU PSN, anyway?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Rinkles posted:

Sony flogging the horse's putrid corpse.

UMD $15 "Dual Packs". Nothing riveting at this point.

Secret Agent Clank and Daxter;
Syphon Filter: Logan’s Shadow and Killzone Liberation;
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror and SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs: Fireteam Bravo

I really wish SCEA would update the PSN prices to reflect retail (and their own budget brandings).
The blog post says, "These PSP Dual Packs will be available at retailers nationwide and on the PlayStation Store in downloadable form." Maybe just wait for the weekly store update?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

quakster posted:

EU PSN has that Essentials line, you'd think they'd have something similar in NA.

Why isn't Secret Agent Clank on EU PSN, anyway?

US has "Favorites" $10, and "Greatest Hits" $20 (the analog to the European Platinums). Thing is that a lot of these prices aren't reflected on the PSN.

The "Essentials" collection on PSN is pretty extensive too, rife for impulse buying. In Japan, best of all, most if not all PSN games are cheaper than retail counterparts. I don't understand why SCEA's approach to PSN has been so slovenly in comparison. Gamestop and retail lobbying?

e:

teethgrinder posted:

The blog post says, "These PSP Dual Packs will be available at retailers nationwide and on the PlayStation Store in downloadable form." Maybe just wait for the weekly store update?

I was more refering to the "Favorites" games, and some of the recent "Greatest Hits" not being updated online, when they were announced in a similar fashion. Peace Walker has been a GH for a few months now in retail, but it's still $30 on PSN, as are others. And this was well before the PSN outage fiasco. But I did indeed miss the line about the downloadable form.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 28, 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

teethgrinder posted:

PlayStation Blog, store update posted:

PSP Game Dual Pack with Daxter and Secret Agent Clank ($14.99)
File size: 2.21 GB

PSP Game Dual Pack with SOCOM: Fire Team Bravo and Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror ($14.99)
File size: 1.4 GB

PSP Game Dual Pack with Killzone: Liberation and Syphon Filter: Logan’s Shadow ($14.99)
File size: 1.58 GB

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Yes we all know how great the Go is once we can get any games free on it.

While what you said was entirely true is there anyone who wouldn't run CFW if they knew how? If you want to play Kingdom Hearts on a Go it is entirely necessary. Really easy to set up these days, too.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Okay but

it's illegal.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I've been playing through Metal Gear Acid again and man I would love a third Acid game.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
That would be great, we need some MGS 4 and Peace Walker cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Justice posted:

Okay but

it's illegal.

Unless you own the UMDs, right? I only ever used mine on my PSP 1000 to dump them to ISOs. They are still in pristine condition.

• Locked thread