Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mug
Apr 26, 2005

nerdz posted:

Unless you own the UMDs, right? I only ever used mine on my PSP 1000 to dump them to ISOs. They are still in pristine condition.

It's still illegal, you're not really allowed to make "unauthorised copies" or some bullshit like that when the original media is not volatile and doesn't wear out from normal use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lenaway posted:

While what you said was entirely true is there anyone who wouldn't run CFW if they knew how? If you want to play Kingdom Hearts on a Go it is entirely necessary. Really easy to set up these days, too.
I don't run CFW because I'm bored of emulation and just don't care about specific games like Kingdom Hearts enough to bother. I still have my modded PSP-1000 kicking around, but I literally have not turned it on once since getting my Go ages ago.

I love having my Go in my pocket listening to music, then being able to resume a save-state marathon Gran Turismo race once I'm on the subway, then pause it again and go back to music as I walk the rest of the way to work.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

teethgrinder posted:

I don't run CFW because I'm bored of emulation and just don't care about specific games like Kingdom Hearts enough to bother. I still have my modded PSP-1000 kicking around, but I literally have not turned it on once since getting my Go ages ago.

I love having my Go in my pocket listening to music, then being able to resume a save-state marathon Gran Turismo race once I'm on the subway, then pause it again and go back to music as I walk the rest of the way to work.

What kind of battery life does your Go have with the playing music and all? I've never timed the battery life on mine but I swear it's way below what it should be. I hate how it only has 3 bars on the battery icon :mad:, I can never tell how long I've been playing or how long I have left but it always seems to hover around 2 or 1 whenever I do end up looking at it.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Got remote joy lite working reasonably easily. Sucks about the crappy framerate though. Makes it sort of.... useless.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

frogg posted:

What kind of battery life does your Go have with the playing music and all? I've never timed the battery life on mine but I swear it's way below what it should be. I hate how it only has 3 bars on the battery icon :mad:, I can never tell how long I've been playing or how long I have left but it always seems to hover around 2 or 1 whenever I do end up looking at it.

I'm curious about this too. I have a 4+ hour flight coming up and I'd rather only take my Go than it and my MP3 player.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Mug posted:

It's still illegal, you're not really allowed to make "unauthorised copies" or some bullshit like that when the original media is not volatile and doesn't wear out from normal use.

Actually, most UMD's casing break down from normal use. :shobon: I wouldn't pull on the casing at the top edge if you want proof. :v:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Edoraz posted:

Actually, most UMD's casing break down from normal use. :shobon: I wouldn't pull on the casing at the top edge if you want proof. :v:
"Break down"? I have functional cassette tapes left from the 80s and they're pretty much the same kind of construction.

To my ears, all of those kinds of arguments fall apart when talking about any even somewhat modern kind of media. If we were talking about Edison-style wax record drums that would be one thing, but...

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
The little plastic white frames around the actually disk you mean, right? Those things are total poo poo. I replace those immediately with more durable ones you can find on the net

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Samurai Sanders posted:

"Break down"? I have functional cassette tapes left from the 80s and they're pretty much the same kind of construction.

The main problem with tapes is those drat tape players that tangle the reel.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

glod posted:

I had this happen too, you can get your free game by going to the network part of the XMB, account management -> transaction management -> services list -> SCEA promotion.

(from page 35)
Has anyone in Australia managed to do this? I've been getting "Site Maintenance Notice. The server is currently down for maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later." for about a month now.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Gunt McBadpost posted:

(from page 35)
Has anyone in Australia managed to do this? I've been getting "Site Maintenance Notice. The server is currently down for maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please try again later." for about a month now.

Same here, I've not even been able to try to recover a PSN account because anything to do with an account turns up the maintenance message.

Axegrinder
Jul 26, 2004
Sometimes sarcasm can help us think more clearly.

Gunt McBadpost posted:

(from page 35)

Yes. You need to go in through the main PSN site in a web browser, the link you're sent to will never work. I'm at work and don't have a link handy, but that's how you reset your password.

Mind you, I have yet to actually manage to get the 'Welcome back' games. The link in Media Go does nothing.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Same for me, I'm trying to access my US account that I made while I lived there, but now I'm living in Taiwan. I basically can't change my password or anything either since the account management website is always under maintenance even though the PSN news and game are showing up on my Media Go Homepage.
I'm sure it has to do with Sony being prevented from restoring service in certain countries(such as Japan)until they have proven to credit card companies that they are not loving incompetent anymore.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

nevermind

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Well, it looks like PSP isn't entirely dead yet as Aksys is determined to run it until the end.

Aksys has announced, so far into their Anime Expo conference, that Fate/Extra is coming to North America this year. In a simultaneously shocking yet disappointing announcement, Aksys has defeated Sony America's decade standing No Visual Novel policy by announcing that Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom is localizing. It's... a visual novel dating sim about pretty boy samurai.

gently caress!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Policenaut posted:

Well, it looks like PSP isn't entirely dead yet as Aksys is determined to run it until the end.

Aksys has announced, so far into their Anime Expo conference, that Fate/Extra is coming to North America this year. In a simultaneously shocking yet disappointing announcement, Aksys has defeated Sony America's decade standing No Visual Novel policy by announcing that Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom is localizing. It's... a visual novel dating sim about pretty boy samurai.

gently caress!

The Fate/Night Fate/stay Night (worse than I remembered) mythos is as dumb and weird as it's naming convention. However, I remember hearing some former Atlus staffers worked on Extra - and the game looks like a carbon copy of the newer Personas - so maybe there's a salvageable RPG beneath. Also the success of this game may well definitively seal the future of further PSP localizations (even this is a pretty big surprise). For the sake of the likes of Valkyria Chronicles 3 or the Last Ranker, I hope it'll be good (and cheap).

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 2, 2011

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Here's previews for Fate/Extra and Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom. Fate is out late 2011 and Hakuoki is early 2012.

Not gonna lie, I was hoping for Tale of the Last Promise and Steins;Gate

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Not gonna lie, I was hoping for Tale of the Last Promise and Steins;Gate

There's definitely quite a few more interesting PSP games out there. Final Promise Story, however, is an Imageepoch self-published title, so it probably falls under that exclusivity deal they have with NISA. And conveniently enough for everyone, NISA has gone on record saying they probably won't be publishing anymore PSP titles.

But, besides that, wasn't Last Promise fairly poorly recieved?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Rinkles posted:

But, besides that, wasn't Last Promise fairly poorly recieved?

Most of the reviews I read of it basically complained of a dark storyline that wasn't very original and the first person battle system (because people like looking at characters). The difficulty is mentioned to ramp up pretty fast and gets Wizardry/Etrian Odyssey-like pretty fast. It's basically supposed to be like a hardcore Wizardry clone with heavy JRPG tones and dark visuals, but people expected a more animeish and accessible JRPG from the trailers.

I was really interested in it because the art style and theme looks so cool, but its just kind of disappointing that it and some of the other good "end of lifespan" PSP JRPGs (i.e. Grand Knights History) won't localize. I'm glad at least we're getting Persona 2: Innocent Sin, even if I'm not going to buy it until I get a Vita.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Most of the reviews I read of it basically complained of a dark storyline that wasn't very original and the first person battle system (because people like looking at characters). The difficulty is mentioned to ramp up pretty fast and gets Wizardry/Etrian Odyssey-like pretty fast. It's basically supposed to be like a hardcore Wizardry clone with heavy JRPG tones and dark visuals, but people expected a more animeish and accessible JRPG from the trailers.

I was really interested in it because the art style and theme looks so cool, but its just kind of disappointing that it and some of the other good "end of lifespan" PSP JRPGs (i.e. Grand Knights History) won't localize. I'm glad at least we're getting Persona 2: Innocent Sin, even if I'm not going to buy it until I get a Vita.

From how you describe it, it's certainly more interesting than it seemed at first glance.

Innocent Sin is probably going to be the big western PSP swan song, but I'm hoping the Vita will extend the viability of PSP games to the extent that there'll remain a slow trickle of PSN localizations. My faith's now mostly in XSEED and Aksys.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Wow, the story to Star Ocean 2 just takes a dump around the midgame. While I was powering through the first part, I pretty much have to force myself to do the stuff in this part.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

blackguy32 posted:

Wow, the story to Star Ocean 2 just takes a dump around the midgame. While I was powering through the first part, I pretty much have to force myself to do the stuff in this part.

I bought both a week ago for the PSP. I have a huge backlog problem but I played most of SO2 but something happened and I quit. I played a translation for SNES and thought it was ok.

It was like 12 years ago but I thought the 2nd one was great with an addictive crafting system (Although I think you could break the game with it if I recall correctly)

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
SO2 was hilariously easy to break, but it made up for it by flinging disgustingly broken fights at you in the post-game dungeon. When every random fight presents a very real risk of dying and losing all of your progress, poo poo gets ridiculous.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

My favorite part of SO2 was when you reached the theme park, where I remember was when you could get the materials to start using Counterfeiting and was able to make Forged Metals, which gave you a free level up.

Just remember going in, buying tons of materials, making like 8-9 of them in a shot, and pumping people up.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Hitting the theme park was probably the best thing I can remember.

"Oh great, another super anime theme pa- wait ahhh what is all of this oh god what are these shoes I can fly across the map in like 5 seconds have I been playing iron chef the last five hours HELP"

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Mug posted:

Even if it's illegal on some technicality, we're living in a world where even people who don't know a whole lot about computers rip CDs to their iTunes collections.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Q&A on Wired with Xseed regarding the process behind localisation:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/07/xseed-games/

edit, of particular interest to this thread:

quote:

Wired.com: Because I have to ask, is there any word on whether you guys are going to tackle the rest of the [Trails in the Sky] trilogy? Please say yes.

Chavez: That’s a bit of a tough one. SC (Second Chapter) is even more horrifyingly large than FC (First Chapter aka Trails in the Sky), and we are having some issues regarding the platform that it would release on, especially since Universal Media Discs may no longer be around by the time it’s ready and the game can’t go onto [the PlayStation Network] as a download-only title. We’re continuing to work with Falcom to see if there are any other options, though.

Shame they don't say why it can't be a download-only title.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 4, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Because it's two UMDs big and Sony has no system in place to emulate UMD disc swapping.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Because it's two UMDs big and Sony has no system in place to emulate UMD disc swapping.

Do you have to boot with the first UMD every time, or can you just start playing off the second one, once you ahve a savegame on there? It should be fairly easy to just sell it as two halfprice games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

Do you have to boot with the first UMD every time, or can you just start playing off the second one, once you ahve a savegame on there? It should be fairly easy to just sell it as two halfprice games.

Sony even sells packs on PSN, like the recently announced Dual Packs, as a single item. Maybe they haven't thought of that? :iiam:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
well, if i interpret Admiral's post right the issue is that CS allows for switching the UMD while ingame, which the PSP doesn't know how to do with images. Maybe in CS you can go back and forth between things and just have to swap the UMD. If this is really just an implementation detail of the virtual drive, it could be pretty impossible to resolve.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mithaldu posted:

well, if i interpret Admiral's post right the issue is that CS allows for switching the UMD while ingame, which the PSP doesn't know how to do with images. Maybe in CS you can go back and forth between things and just have to swap the UMD. If this is really just an implementation detail of the virtual drive, it could be pretty impossible to resolve.

Yeah that could potentially be pretty iffy even if loading between boots from different virtual UMDs could be a possible work around.

It'd be great if Falcom could integrate the interface emulation themselves, binding the two UMDs into a single mega file. That is if the size limit isn't hardcoded into the PSP, and Sony's willing to accept it. Although from the past coding support Falcom gave XSEED, or rather didn't (Trails doesn't have quotation marks, because XSEED didn't have any dedicated programming staff of its own) that's probably not gonna happen.

The only other 2 UMD release I'm aware of is Final Fantasy Type-0 (formerly Agito), the upcoming FF spinoff. It's relatively high profile so it might motivate Sony to create a solution.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Speaking of XSeed, I wonder what the news is with the sequel to Half-Minute Hero. I REALLY want that sequel. :(

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Been playing Legend of Heroes: Trail in the Sky since people here were talking about it and I loved Grandia. Really getting the Grandia vibe. I just find it a bit weird how people are really surprised that the (adopted) brother and sister aren't totally in love with each other.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
He was also adopted in an unofficial manner at an age where both of them are around middle school age with both of them remembering the event clearly. The story also goes out of its way to show that they act like normal friends with each together usually and that she was going through puberty when she realized her feelings.

This isn't the kind of incest garbage where they used to think that they were related at birth while secretly developing feelings for each other and then DURP, in the ending they discovered that there were only adopted siblings and can safely continue. Nobody is dumb enough to recommend that kind of game or story here.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

PSP Go in Japan: Seven sold this week in Japan

Keep on truckin' little guy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

PSP Go in Japan: Seven sold this week in Japan

Keep on truckin' little guy.
Seven new ones anyway, I bet a lot of people bought used ones.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Seven new ones anyway, I bet a lot of people bought used ones.

This implies that a lot of the people that bought them in the past are eager to sell them.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My psp only seems to charge off a flat/empty battery, if I plug it into the proper charger. I have a usb->psp-power-socket charger, which seems to work IF there's already some kind of battery life in my psp.

I'm at work, looking forward to gym + psp later and it seems my psp battery is dead and the loving USB charger is not charging my psp. Is there any fix for this or something? Otherwise I'll just have to plug it in when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
So I have a question.

I bought a PSPGo at launch, it being the first new system I had bought since the PS2. I loved it and still do, and have about ~20 games stored on its memory disk. I created a PSN account and everything.

Fast forward to 4 months ago, when I bought a PS3. Having forgotten all about my PSP PSN account, I made a new one. Went back to my PSP a few days ago and realized my mistake, figured I might as well link the two profiles together. Done, but now it says all of my PSP games cannot be played. I'm assuming that's because they were bought on my other account?

Stupid, I know. But I have two accounts on my PS3, and any games bought on one can easily be played on the other. Is there any way to transfer my PSP games from my old account to my new account, or at least be able to play them again without going back to the old account?

• Locked thread