Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008
Bit surprised by the mostly negative reaction to Sirens I thought it was fine for a first episode. But I didn't really see much of the marketing for the show maybe people expected something different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

LE0N posted:

At the end of the day this >>http://i.imgur.com/DW6TI.jpg<< was probably my higlight of bbc's glasto coverage.

Clicked expecting the Pikachu flag. Wasn't entirely disappointed.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Man, I was proper looking forward to Sirens but it sounds like proper crap. So many of my friends have been bashing it and I almost don't want to watch it now. :(

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Zorba the Greek posted:

Man, I was proper looking forward to Sirens but it sounds like proper crap. So many of my friends have been bashing it and I almost don't want to watch it now. :(

I enjoyed it well enough. Not life-changing or anything, but it was all right v:shobon:v

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Rarity posted:

I enjoyed it well enough. Not life-changing or anything, but it was all right v:shobon:v

I thought it was bloody awful (well, the 20 or so minutes of it I endured, anyway).

Maybe it just wasn't my cup of tea! :)

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 28, 2011

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
I'm really undecided about Sirens. I kind of felt that the humour needed to be a bit more morbid.
I enjoyed it more by the end as I realised I was watching something more melancholic than I was expecting.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Yeah, i was expecting something along the lines of Green Wing without the over the top wacky segments.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
God, that's an unhealthy amount of Chuckle Brother's stuff (is there a healthy amount?)

I love that rumour that goes around that Barry is actually Paul's father. So many people are fooled by it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ddraig posted:

God, that's an unhealthy amount of Chuckle Brother's stuff (is there a healthy amount?)

I love that rumour that goes around that Barry is actually Paul's father. So many people are fooled by it.

I was quite impressed by The Marriage Ref, to be honest. When it came on I was expecting dross and then Dermot O'Leary and Jack Dee appeared which gave it a veneer of respectability.

I was a bit confused by the way most of them voted though, why vote in favour of the man who only eats sausage rolls? Or the woman who constantly wastes money shopping for things she doesn't need? Alright as they say she was shopping inside her means, but that doesn't somehow become "Yes wasting money on poo poo is fine".

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Taear posted:

that doesn't somehow become "Yes wasting money on poo poo is fine".
I dare you to go in to this thread and say that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I can't seem to find any of the comedy in Angry Boys at the moment, anyone else experincing this?

some fantastic
Oct 29, 2010

Gram-O-Phone posted:

I thought it was bloody awful (well, the 20 or so minutes of it I endured, anyway).

Maybe it just wasn't my cup of tea! :)

I think its biggest problem (going off the first episode which is potentially stupid) is that the main character is the least interesting of the 3 paramedic characters, and pretty monotone, which pretty much did my head in.

I'll maybe give it a second look at some point but yeah, I wasn't sold on this first episode either.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
drat. Luther is good, if a bit gruesome.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

knees of putty posted:

It's very enjoyable fluff. And I approve of the writers naming more villains Cameron.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

knees of putty posted:

Yeah, smacking people in the head with a hammer is pretty loving nasty. Always makes me squirm and horrible violence doesn't usually bother me.

The only other thing in that episode which bothered me was the laser printer making dot-matrix noises. Sound effects guy needs a smack.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

I can't seem to find any of the comedy in Angry Boys at the moment, anyone else experincing this?

Personally I'm loving it for the most part. I do find the "gay style" stuff a little OTT, but I suppose that's what it's meant to be given just how awful and exploitative that woman is.

As for the humour, like most of Chris Lilley's stuff, that tends to come from just how straight he plays the characters, who for the most part tend to be quite believable and utterly unaware what total idiots or monsters they are. It's rarely laugh-out-loud stuff, I will admit, but neither was Summer Heights High or We Can Be Heroes for the most part.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Flatscan posted:

Yeah, smacking people in the head with a hammer is pretty loving nasty. Always makes me squirm and horrible violence doesn't usually bother me.

didn't this happen in series one with the dude killing prostitutes, and his wife clobbered him with a hammer as he was being arrested?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Flatscan posted:

The only other thing in that episode which bothered me was the laser printer making dot-matrix noises. Sound effects guy needs a smack.

Not Schenk having his password in a notebook in his desk? It's just too much of an easy cliche.

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah I just finished series one of Luther and after doing so I immediately wiki'd the show and hoped it wasn't cancelled. So I find out series two is only four episodes? Did BBC order less because of ratings or was it the production's decision? I ask this because I really really enjoy the show and would love to see more Idris Elba.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ChuckDHead posted:

Personally I'm loving it for the most part. I do find the "gay style" stuff a little OTT, but I suppose that's what it's meant to be given just how awful and exploitative that woman is.

As for the humour, like most of Chris Lilley's stuff, that tends to come from just how straight he plays the characters, who for the most part tend to be quite believable and utterly unaware what total idiots or monsters they are. It's rarely laugh-out-loud stuff, I will admit, but neither was Summer Heights High or We Can Be Heroes for the most part.

I got to say, it oddly addictive though.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Cerv posted:

Not Schenk having his password in a notebook in his desk? It's just too much of an easy cliche.

Not at all, I've worked in IT. Having it in a notebook is actually a little too security concious for most users, a post-it under the keyboard or mousemat is what they usually go for. That is, if it's not just written on the front of their loving monitor.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Flatscan posted:

Not at all, I've worked in IT. Having it in a notebook is actually a little too security concious for most users, a post-it under the keyboard or mousemat is what they usually go for. That is, if it's not just written on the front of their loving monitor.

Fair enough. It's one of those "cliched because it's true" things.

D&D nerd not being a fatty fatass though. That's just ridiculous.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Flatscan posted:

I work for a 2FA IT security company, and we regularly give away post-its with "NOT FOR PASSWORDS" emblazoned on them

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

I got to say, it oddly addictive though.

Absolutely. I was really happy to click on the info button at the start of the episode and see "Angry Boys (6/12)". I was convinced tonight was the finale until that.

By the way, if you want to see some more decent Australian comedy, get into John Safran. John Safran's Music Jamboree, John Safran Vs God, and John Safran's Race Relations are all very amusing stuff (except the Haiti episode of John Safran vs God in with the voodoo goat sacrifice). He does all sorts of interviews and sketches about issues relating to whatever subject he's chosen to assault in his latest series, and it tends to be a combination of hilarious and thought-provoking. Here he is meeting the KKK despite being Jewish.

ChuckDHead fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 29, 2011

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Thanks to everyone who recommended Adam and Joe's stuff. Finally got round to downloading a bunch of podcasts this week. Good stuff.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Neutron Bandit posted:

Yeah I just finished series one of Luther and after doing so I immediately wiki'd the show and hoped it wasn't cancelled. So I find out series two is only four episodes? Did BBC order less because of ratings or was it the production's decision? I ask this because I really really enjoy the show and would love to see more Idris Elba.

I would guess its due to the cost of each episode, it always looks kinda pricey.

Hand on heart I've got to say Luther is probably one of he best British made television shows in a while.
I know its just a"detective" show but its so well crafted.
The opening scene at the garage forecourt was just ridiculous in how good it was.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
Does the fact that I'm really looking forward to the new series of undercover boss preclude me from posting in this thread/ever having opinions on anything ever again?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
So I met Johnny Ball. Had a colleague at the university ask him some basic questions like "What has it been like being here?" and "are the kids enjoying it?" and "what advice do you have for any budding scientists here today".

Without fail, every answer segued into a rant about how he hates politicians, or the green lobby, and how he wished politics was out of science, etc. I can see his point, but he did come across as really ranty for no reason. He was a lovely man though, very approachable but bonkers.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Since someone mentioned it earlier - Collins' blog about his falling out with Herring

http://wherediditallgorightblog.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/the-break-up/

Herring's reply

http://wherediditallgorightblog.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/the-break-up/#comment-23249

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.

thehustler posted:

So I met Johnny Ball. Had a colleague at the university ask him some basic questions like "What has it been like being here?" and "are the kids enjoying it?" and "what advice do you have for any budding scientists here today".

Without fail, every answer segued into a rant about how he hates politicians, or the green lobby, and how he wished politics was out of science, etc. I can see his point, but he did come across as really ranty for no reason. He was a lovely man though, very approachable but bonkers.

I used to work in the call centre of a popular international florist, and took a call from him, and apropos of nothing at all he launched into a massive rant about nuclear power and how there wasn't a single scientific brain amongst the environmental movement. It was great, I just switched my brain off until he was ready to place his order.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!

Cerv posted:

Fair enough. It's one of those "cliched because it's true" things.

D&D nerd not being a fatty fatass though. That's just ridiculous.

There's a tonne of cliches in this, and in the recent shadow line too. It's almost as if they made a concious decision to focus on the acting and the production and screw the writing. The serial killer aspect of the show so far has been the weakest part. Perhaps this is intentional, trying to evoke some sense of "random poo poo happens every day", but no doubt that this show is held together by Idris Elba and the classy production, both audially and visually and they deliver.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

thehustler posted:

How does one go about booking Johnny Ball for something? He sounds like he'd be a good fit for Skeptics in the Pub.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

FreakyZoid posted:

Since someone mentioned it earlier - Collins' blog about his falling out with Herring

http://wherediditallgorightblog.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/the-break-up/

Herring's reply

http://wherediditallgorightblog.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/the-break-up/#comment-23249

Aw, that's quite sad really, they fallen out like a married couple.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Just caught up with Luthor and it was a nice idea (the dice thing was cool), but the stuff in the office rampage felt odd to me. Maybe it's just the places i worked, but if someone was going at people with a hammer and a waterpistol (albeit one with acid) there'd be more of a bumrush action against the guy than mass evacuation of the 100+ people there.

I mean, the previews for the next one show a guy in a trainstation. If that were Queens or Central, they'd have the poo poo kicked out of them in minutes.

On top of that, i'm not really all that engaged with this hooker sideplot and it's almost as nonsensical as the psychopathic relationship in the first series. He's got this girl with him who's obviously the only leverage these people have against him and rather than put her somewhere safe he keeps her at his place where the bad guys can get to her at any time. :psyduck: He's only "over a barrel" because he keeps on straddling the loving thing. It makes no sense for a character as smart as Luther to even be in that situation.

At least in the first series that psycho lady was equally as smart as him and the relationship could be seen as one where he was seeking evidence that evolved into something weirder, but this... it's just off.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Kin posted:

Just caught up with Luthor and it was a nice idea (the dice thing was cool), but the stuff in the office rampage felt odd to me. Maybe it's just the places i worked, but if someone was going at people with a hammer and a waterpistol (albeit one with acid) there'd be more of a bumrush action against the guy than mass evacuation of the 100+ people there.

I mean, the previews for the next one show a guy in a trainstation. If that were Queens or Central, they'd have the poo poo kicked out of them in minutes.
Liverpool St station. Going to be full of bankers so expect 'everyman for himself'.

quote:

On top of that, i'm not really all that engaged with this hooker sideplot and it's almost as nonsensical as the psychopathic relationship in the first series. He's got this girl with him who's obviously the only leverage these people have against him and rather than put her somewhere safe he keeps her at his place where the bad guys can get to her at any time. :psyduck: He's only "over a barrel" because he keeps on straddling the loving thing. It makes no sense for a character as smart as Luther to even be in that situation.

At least in the first series that psycho lady was equally as smart as him and the relationship could be seen as one where he was seeking evidence that evolved into something weirder, but this... it's just off.
Not the only leverage. They have the recording of him agreeing to intimidate the witness in episode two.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Brown Moses posted:

Aw, that's quite sad really, they fallen out like a married couple.

Both posts have been deleted from the look of it. Whagowan ?

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
I really like Luther but the writing is atrocious sometimes. I watched in last night in a quite a state so I can't remember any specifics but the dialogue seems clunky sometimes, maybe it's just because Gray and the hooker can't act, Ripley is pretty bad too. I missed Alice and Paul McGann in this one. Idris is great though, I don't even think about Stringer Bell when Luther's on, great characterisation.

Fake Edit: That scene in the church was terrible dialogue-wise.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It sounds like they had a bit of a falling out when Andrew Collins decided to do some shows without Richard Herring, they both just sounded a bit disapointed in each other, it wasn't nasty.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Cerv posted:

Liverpool St station. Going to be full of bankers so expect 'everyman for himself'.

Not the only leverage. They have the recording of him agreeing to intimidate the witness in episode two.
How does he know that Jenny isn't in on the whole thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I knew they'd do that.

Collins: http://pastebin.com/8ZQU6Czs
Herring: http://pastebin.com/ZTiZhCXD