Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Gunjin posted:

Does anyone in here have any experience with the Canon XF305? I do in house corporate stuff and we're finally going HD for everything this year. We're looking for an all around camera that has to have HD-SDI out, XLR input, decent low light performance, and output that meets TV minimum standards for HD broadcast. Camera will both be used for broadcasting over our closed circuit network via the HD-SDI out, and for recording various meetings, making training videos, and other things of that nature.

We were originally planning to go with something like a Sony PMW-350 + a ki-pro or nanoflash, but the Canon seems to hit all of our points and is both a fuckload less expensive and doesn't require an off camera recorder. The reviews I've read have been favorable, but there aren't a lot of them and I was wondering if anyone here had any hands on.

The only thing I'd be wary about is whether its low-light performance will be up to your standards. I've been shooting with an XF300 for my last few projects, and that's my only major complaint about it. It makes beautiful footage outdoors or in front of studio lighting, but forget about shooting in a room with just a couple 100W bulbs on the ceiling unless you want to crank up the gain and deal with grainy footage. It's probably worth renting one and trying it out for a day to see if it meets your needs, because it's quite a camera for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've had an XF300 for a few months. It's been pretty great, but, as moon potato mentioned, low light stuff isn't its strong suit. I'm guessing most offices are probably well-lit enough that it wouldn't be a problem. What are you using right now?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Mostly a Sony DSR-370.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Just loving rent for christ sakes. Insurance isn't an excuse most low end video places will let you buy their insurance.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Mozzie posted:

Just loving rent for christ sakes. Insurance isn't an excuse most low end video places will let you buy their insurance.

If your talking about renting to try it, yeah we'll do that. If your talking about renting instead of buying, not going to work in our environment. I realize that lower and middle end pro poo poo like this Canon, or Sony XDCAM aren't as sexy as an Alexa, but we've got specific needs and we have to have a camera on site ready to go at all times. If we need something like an Alexa or an Epic we'd have no problem with getting one, but it's overkill for the tasks I am shopping for.

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

Why not try something like the AF-100. Not that expensive, comes with a lens now if you are in the US (not the best lens, but not bad) and it's fun as hell to shoot with.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
NO don't do it! The AF-100 is garbage, total garbage, personal experience talking. For the same ballpark price range the Sony NEX-FS100U, now that is a great low budget cinema style camera.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I really wish the FS100 had built-in ND filters, I'd be freaked out about lens changes with the sensor being right there in the open.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
meh, Reds and Alexas don't have build in ND's, just don't open it with the sensor pointed at the sun.

butterypancakes
Aug 19, 2006

mmm pancakes

SquareDog posted:

The AF-100 is garbage, total garbage, personal experience talking.

We've had plenty of success with it over here.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

SquareDog posted:

NO don't do it! The AF-100 is garbage, total garbage, personal experience talking.

Care to elaborate?

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

SquareDog posted:

NO don't do it! The AF-100 is garbage, total garbage, personal experience talking. For the same ballpark price range the Sony NEX-FS100U, now that is a great low budget cinema style camera.

Garbage eh? We use ours with great success. Once you take the time to set it up properly you get great picture with awesome interchangeable lens fun, and professional controls and audio handling.

I'd imagine the NEX-FS100 is fine too. Though I do love the ND wheel on the af100, and I'd not want to go without it.

If not the af100, I'd love the F3 but that's a bit of a different price range isn't it?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think something like an AF100 or whatever would make much sense for Gunjin though. Seems like a more traditional video camera would be easier and faster all around. I seriously doubt they need or even want the cinematic qualities of a big sensor camera rolling prime lenses for internal corporate video.

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

The only reason I say AF-100 is that you can put the standard panny lens on it and get your autofocus etc, but the larger sensor gives you way better low light performance.

The low light capability is a big one.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Yeah, think more ENG with us, the film style cameras are nice though. The F3 would almost work, but they don't sell a long enough zoom lens for our needs.

Low light performance isn't the end all, I just don't want something that falls apart if conditions are less than perfect. There's only one place I can't set up more lights, and it's acceptably well lit for any modern camera. Going to have to call around and find some test mules to rent.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Here at the rental house we loathe the AF-100 for a variety of reasons, chiefly the whole "look" of it is still very "video-ey" even with the most shallow depth of field, the highlights turn green right before they blow out, the crop factor is atrocious, even worse than the 7D, the batteries are exactly like the old Pana batteries except they put in a small peg in the battery mount so that you are forced to buy all new batteries, the compression is high, the color space is poor, etc.

Nobody rents them and we now refer to them as "the paperweights".

For that style camera the Sony FS-100 is great and the F3 is even better. We have F-3's and they're great and get rented. I'm campaigning to sell out AF-100's to buy some FS-100 instead.

If some of you guys own them and they work for your purposes, great! but I could never in good conscience recommend them to anyone looking to purchase.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

SquareDog posted:

the crop factor is atrocious, even worse than the 7D

everything you said makes sense except for this

you do understand that 135 roll film and 35mm cinema film are two totally different frame sizes right?

the micro 4/3 sensor is almost exactly the same size as a panavison 35mm frame, a PL cine prime should actually perform much better on an AF100 than a 7D or 5D.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Let me put it this way, the field of view on a 50mm lens on a Red or Alexa or Panavision is much wider than on the AF-100, they aren't the same at all. Also peep dis.

The red sensor at 24.4mm x 13.7mm is a little wider than the APS-C sensor or the 1.6x frame in the lower picture. Alexa is 25.3mm x 14.2mm. Panavision Genesis is 23.6mm x 13.2mm. You can see clearly that the 4/3 sensor is smaller at 17.3mm x 13mm. It may not look much smaller but it makes a huge difference when you're looking at the final field of view.

EDIT: Added the bit about the Panavision Genesis.

SquareDog fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 30, 2011

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
The crop is only an issue if you are trying to use the same lenses on different cameras. If you use the right lens, it's a non-starter. As for the other problems, the compression is as good or better than the EX-1 and EX-3 (which is the same codec as the F3), and you can always use an external recorder for better compression.

The highlights going green seems to be a problem others have had but have solved by changing settings in camera. Previous Panasonics didnt really shine either until you played with the settings a bit. I haven't used my AF100 yet, so I don't know if this issue can be fixed.

Color space is an issue, but many have done good chroma keying on the AF100. The F3 also has color space issues compared to Red unless you're recording SDI out, which adds to the cost of a camera already three times more than the AF100.

The new Sony looks pretty good for the price, especially compared to the interchangable lens camcorder that only shot 60i that they weee going to release (did they release that?). However fiddly preview videos, the lack of SDI and ND filters, plus less control over settings made me decide against it. Low light would be better on the new Sony, but the AF100 is way better than the EX-1, which is fine if lit properly.

If someone is buying or renting on their own budget, there are plenty of reasons to choose an AF100. If I had $15000 to spend on a camera, I might do an F3, but I don't, so I'll settle for a paperweight instead.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Hey if it works for your purposes, glad it's working out for you. Despite my high hopes it's not working out for us. :(

EDIT: You know what else has been really surprisingly disappointing so far? Hint: It lends itself to many "EPIC FAIL!" jokes.

SquareDog fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 30, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I certainly wouldn't rent an AF100, considering the F3 package day rates aren't too much more. I would probably buy one to own though. The things I need to own a camera for (concerts, events, ENG, doc, low budget music video, location scouts), the AF100 does great. The F3 is lovely, but it's nearly 10 thousand dollars more expensive. For narrative and commercial, I'm either renting or hiring a DP with gear anyway.

I can see why a rental house wouldn't want to keep a bunch of AF100s around, but that doesn't make them garbage. Not everyone is a rental house.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Momonari kun posted:

The new Sony looks pretty good for the price, especially compared to the interchangable lens camcorder that only shot 60i that they weee going to release (did they release that?).

The NEX-VG10 has been out for a while, I've seen people running around with those since February or March. Also it's a $2,000 camera, not in the same price bracket at the AF100 or FS100.

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

1st AD posted:

The NEX-VG10 has been out for a while, I've seen people running around with those since February or March. Also it's a $2,000 camera, not in the same price bracket at the AF100 or FS100.

Oh yeah? That's not a bad price, but it's still a confusing product. Not really sure who they're trying to market to. Maybe NEX camera owners who want a video camera?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Only one framerate, and it's interlaced. I don't get it at all.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Only one framerate, and it's interlaced. I don't get it at all.

I hate interlacing. Hate it hate it hate it hate it HATE it. The day that it's completely phased out and nothing at all is ever shot which is interlaced will be the day I breathe one goddamn massive sigh of relief.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

schmuckfeatures posted:

I hate interlacing. Hate it hate it hate it hate it HATE it. The day that it's completely phased out and nothing at all is ever shot which is interlaced will be the day I breathe one goddamn massive sigh of relief.

This made me snicker because that exact thought has run through my head several times.

SquareDog posted:

You know what else has been really surprisingly disappointing so far? Hint: It lends itself to many "EPIC FAIL!" jokes.

What are people's complaints about the Epic? The guy I work for is planning on getting an Epic-X with an Epic-S as a B-cam this winter since he won't have the money for multiple Alexas, but if they're poo poo I guess I should talk him out of it. Do your customers just not know how to get a decent image out of raw files, or are there legitimate problems with it?

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 6, 2011

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 30, 2014

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 30, 2014

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
Is that an Angenieux 24-290 lens on it? with a microforce? Nice and tricked out. I heard people swear by the Alexa for a while but when we finally got a couple I was sold. It's just an easy camera to use, most everything on it makes sense and is useful. My only complaints are that it only shoots 2K (which isn't a big problem really) and it's drat expensive.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I don't think I've seen it on here but here's episode 1 of 2011's Great Camera Shootout:

http://www.zacuto.com/the-great-camera-shootout-2011/episode-one

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
This is waaaay more comprehensive than their last set of tests, great stuff.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

exponentory posted:

While I was prepping that there was an Alexa next to me that I got to play around with a little bit. http://i.imgur.com/EBrwl.jpg
I'd like to hear some stories of people that have used it!

The 24-290 is a badass lens. It's pretty much the go to lens for commercials shot on Alexa's around here.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Squaredog, what were your customers' complaints about the Epic? Were they just inexperienced with a raw workflow, or are there legitimate problems with it?

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
No complaints from customers yet, WE just don't like it much yet, because it's very much a BETA product. Chiefly playback is not yet enabled, yes, playback. Also it hardly seems worth it to be 5K when nothing is currently delivered anywhere in higher than 2K especially with all the data it uses up, 15 mins = 128GB. While the menu system is better organized than the Red One it's still not great. The EVF signal is disabled for now as well. There are compression settings but anything worse than the the highest quality setting is useless. All in all it's just not a camera that really feels like it was designed by people who make films, just like the first one.

That's not to say it's horrible or anything, it's still a pretty cool camera and gets rented.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this question, I browse on my phone and don't have access to search on here.

I was considering purchasing a 16mm camera later in the year, more for 'shits and giggles' than anything serious in mind. I've seen on UK eBay I can get something like a Bolex H16 for £250 which seems a good price for a body+lens and the output I've seen on YouTube is pretty nice.

However, I've only ever shot digital so don't know how much cost running one of these things tends to be. I've seen a service that develops footage for £100/400ft but haven't looked up the cost of telecining or the film itself.

Simply put: would this be throwing money away? I have a Sony PD150 so I'm used to having an amount of manual controls in comparison to a $200 fully auto DV hobby camera, but have always wanted to shoot something on film, even if it's nothing more than a music video for a friends band.

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 30, 2014

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

exponentory posted:

Indeed! Here's at the same place on another day that my friend took: http://i.imgur.com/ObGnh.jpg
Some gnarly anamorphic glass right there, anybody know what kind it is?

Looks like a Hawk V Series anamorphic, I would guess 250mm.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

I'll start taking opinions from zacutos when they stop making rods that don't loving bend never

SwedeRacer
Aug 2, 2004
At the risk of being buried in this massive thread, I figured I'd offer up a FREE Goon service:

I'm trying to build up a colorist reel and need some short films, music videos and the like. I figured there are some talented goons so I figured I'd offer some free color grading to any one who might want it.

I'm currently grading on Apple Color and have a Decklink 3d card running out to a Flanders FSI Broadcast monitor. 100% color accurate. I just got my hands on Resolve 8 but don't know how to use it quite yet - that might be something I can offer down the road.

Let me know if you might have something, but it an old project or one you're just finishing up now. Probably the easiest way to get it to me would be a Pro Res file over an FTP, but shoot me an email (Swederacer @ gmail) and we can discuss. I'll be more inclined to work on shorter projects also, so please no 150 minute documentaries.

Heres something I graded a while back: http://vimeo.com/23127016
One of my first projects, but I think it turned out pretty OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
That's pretty slick, Swede.

I wish i could give you my recent projects, but we did our own first pass in red cine and plus everything I shoot is owned by florida state university :(

We might have some independent project stuff that we're shooting in the near future though. I'll definitely keep you in mind!