Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
There's a book I need to order off Amazon.com (textbook specifically) that is out of stock. If I place the order, will they charge me before the book comes back in stock? I am thinking that I'd want to place the order now so I can get it when it first comes available, but if it isn't in stock for awhile I'll have to shop elsewhere since the class is starting in 2 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
They won't bill you until they are ready to ship the book.

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

Does anyone know any cool twitter accounts that link to a couple of short stories a day? Like @longreads and @aldaily do for articles. That'd be tits.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Anybody doing a big summer read? I'm thinking when I get some time, I'm going to finally start on Fielding's Tom Jones.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

barkingclam posted:

Anybody doing a big summer read? I'm thinking when I get some time, I'm going to finally start on Fielding's Tom Jones.

A friend bet me I couldn't read all of the Gor books (or rather, the first 26) before Dragon*Con, so there's that for me. I am not particularly proud of it.

:ninja: Err...I actually posted about that on the last page...

:shepicide:

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jun 23, 2011

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

barkingclam posted:

I try to do one big summer read every year. I did Idiot + Brothers Karamazov three summers ago, Anna Karenina two summers ago and War and Peace (entirely during trolleybus and metro rides in Russia!) last summer. This summer, I'm just tackling my reading list for courses next semester. However, my goal for this summer is to finish that reading list and then tackle Infinite Jest.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Nice! Jest is a great read, it's not as hard as you'd think once you get into it.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Ornamented Death posted:

A friend bet me I couldn't read all of the Gor books (or rather, the first 26) before Dragon*Con, so there's that for me. I am not particularly proud of it.

:ninja: Err...I actually posted about that on the last page...

:wtc: I had no idea there were so many of those loving things. Who buys that poo poo? Other than you, of course.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Popular Human posted:

Who buys that poo poo?

It's HUGE amongst the bdsm set.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Popular Human posted:

:wtc: I had no idea there were so many of those loving things. Who buys that poo poo? Other than you, of course.

That's not even all of them, just the ones you can find without the naked woman on the cover (just look up one of the titles on Amazon to see what I mean).

I think the biggest crime with this poo poo is that Norman is actually a pretty good writer; he has a ton of great ideas and is incredibly descriptive. He just lets that get buried in increasingly long diatribes that have absolutely no bearing on the plot and are full of crazy. From what I can gather, if you ignore the crazy, you go from skipping a handful paragraphs in the first few books to hundreds and hundreds of pages (per book) by the end of the series.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

LooseChanj posted:

It's HUGE amongst the bdsm set.

Hey now, it's only huge among the ones who always come off as really creepy people. Most come off as normal and not creepy. :colbert:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hey guys did you know that a woman can only truly be a woman when she is mastered by a man?

Only 20 more books to go! :smithicide:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, I've made it final, I'm going to teach Angels in America next year! This will either be glorious or I will be hanged by parents. Can't wait! :gizz:

(I teach IB English A programmes at a secondary school in Europe)

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Does anyone know where in the world I can get an English translation of this novel? I've searched high and low but can only find it in French. Wikipedia says it was translated into a variety of languages so there must be an English one out there still.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Jive One posted:

Does anyone know where in the world I can get an English translation of this novel? I've searched high and low but can only find it in French. Wikipedia says it was translated into a variety of languages so there must be an English one out there still.

It probably depends on what sort of translation you want. If you have access to databases, particularly Early English Books (eebo.chadwyck.com) you can probably find something. (In fact, you will -- I just checked, there's a three volume translation published 1657-58. The downside is, of course, this is a 17th century translation, with all the issues that implies.)

I've poked around and am not finding a newer translation, strangely enough. If that's what you need, hopefully someone with a wider breadth than I for French lit can step in here.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

It probably depends on what sort of translation you want. If you have access to databases, particularly Early English Books (eebo.chadwyck.com) you can probably find something. (In fact, you will -- I just checked, there's a three volume translation published 1657-58. The downside is, of course, this is a 17th century translation, with all the issues that implies.)

I've poked around and am not finding a newer translation, strangely enough. If that's what you need, hopefully someone with a wider breadth than I for French lit can step in here.

Unfortunately I don't have access. I tried googling the title and date and found further references to that translation, but no place that offered open public downloads.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Ornamented Death posted:

Hey guys did you know that a woman can only truly be a woman when she is mastered by a man?

Only 20 more books to go! :smithicide:

What are you getting if you win the bet? It'd better be something pretty nice.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Florida Betty posted:

What are you getting if you win the bet? It'd better be something pretty nice.

$175 ($100 bet + my half of the cost of the books back) and my friend has to prominently display the series in his living room for six months. It goes the other way if I lose.

As you can see, I cannot allow myself to lose.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
How much would someone have to pay you to write a review for a book you just read? In exchange for getting the book for free? For $5? $10? $20? Screw that noise, you hate writing reviews?

The reviews wouldn't have to be essays, perhaps a paragraph or two.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

polyfractal posted:

How much would someone have to pay you to write a review for a book you just read? In exchange for getting the book for free? For $5? $10? $20? Screw that noise, you hate writing reviews?

The reviews wouldn't have to be essays, perhaps a paragraph or two.

Unless you're writing the review for a major publication, you shouldn't get anything for your review beyond, perhaps, the free review copy of the book.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my question.

Imagine a hypothetical site that employs a limited, invite-only pool of people that read books (emphasis on eBooks/Indie/self-pub) and write reviews on those books. What kind of compensation would make it worth your time to participate in a site such as this?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

polyfractal posted:

Imagine a hypothetical site that employs a limited, invite-only pool of people that read books (emphasis on eBooks/Indie/self-pub) and write reviews on those books. What kind of compensation would make it worth your time to participate in a site such as this?

Literally no amount of money would convince me to do this.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

polyfractal posted:

It seems like the only visitors to that site would be the authors themselves, or other prospective new authors, plus maybe a few hipsters that like it because it's not "major label". So you're reviewing something for a much smaller audience of people than say, the people that would've looked up this book on Amazon.com; I would say you probably couldn't afford compensation in the long term. Just make an Indie book blog, I'm sure you'd stand out from the thousands of other ones.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

Van Dis posted:

Literally no amount of money would convince me to do this.

Because of the indie/self-pub or the principle of receiving money for reviews?

Quad posted:

It seems like the only visitors to that site would be the authors themselves, or other prospective new authors, plus maybe a few hipsters that like it because it's not "major label". So you're reviewing something for a much smaller audience of people than say, the people that would've looked up this book on Amazon.com; I would say you probably couldn't afford compensation in the long term.
Fair points. Do people rely solely on Amazon reviews? I've been mulling over this idea because there is effectively zero incentive to leave reviews on Amazon unless you have Aspergers or are gaming the system (either positively or negatively). Most ebooks on Amazon are unreviewed or obviously pumped with a few 5-star reviews from the author's buddies.

Granted, most self-published ebooks are garbage. But the shift toward digital books is pretty apparent and I think the number of quality self-pub ebooks will continue to rise (along with an exponential increase in garbage). How are people going to sort through all of this?

Quad posted:

Just make an Indie book blog, I'm sure you'd stand out from the thousands of other ones.
:v:

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

polyfractal posted:

Because of the indie/self-pub or the principle of receiving money for reviews?
Because of this:

quote:

most self-published ebooks are garbage.
Except "most" is selling it short.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Haha, ok :)

My thoughts looked something like this:
  1. Read book (any book)
  2. Are member of site?
  3. If yes, write review, get money

Rather than:
  1. Are member of site?
  2. If yes, forced to read lovely books
  3. Get money, commit suicide

The idea being that if you read a terrible ebook you likely won't leave a review on Amazon. If you read a good ebook, you still probably won't write a review. Most people just don't care enough to write reviews. But if you can write a review (positive or negative) about a book you independently read, and get some compensation for it, you increase the community knowledge about what is and isn't good. GoodReads kinda does this through social incentive, but it is still pretty weak.

Perhaps this is all just a pipe dream because worst case you are out $0.99 and people can't be assed to write reviews or look up non-amazon reviews before mashing the buy button :)

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Amazon isn't trustworthy for reviews or ratings, especially for less popular books, because it's so full of spam reviews and authors can get negative reviews yanked.

Goodreads is the only user-based review site I participate in or read reviews from. I don't think of it in any kind of "social incentive" terms though. I review there because I like their interface for keeping track of my reading. I guess it's nice if other users find my reviews helpful, but I write them for my own benefit, to help me remember what I read and to lead me to think more deeply about why I like or dislike something.

I wouldn't join a site aimed at self-published books. There's too much garbage to wade through, and it's not like my to-read list isn't already stuffed with more mainstream, professionally-edited novels than I'll ever have time to read. But I'd also have trouble trusting a user-based review site, no matter what type of books they focused on, if I knew they were paying for reviews.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
When I finish up a book by a self published (even if it's kindle) author and it's good, I will leave a review on amazon for it.

It's not hard to do, takes about 4 mins of my personal time, and helps the author out.

That being said, holy hell finding a good self published book is like searching for gold nuggets in a river of poo poo.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

deety posted:

Goodreads is the only user-based review site I participate in or read reviews from. I don't think of it in any kind of "social incentive" terms though. I review there because I like their interface for keeping track of my reading. I guess it's nice if other users find my reviews helpful, but I write them for my own benefit, to help me remember what I read and to lead me to think more deeply about why I like or dislike something.

Ah yes, Goodreads, where books are rated on a scale of 3.5 to 4.0, with 3.5 being a beautiful classic and 4.0 being the Cliff Notes for that beautiful classic.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Ah yes, Goodreads, where books are rated on a scale of 3.5 to 4.0, with 3.5 being a beautiful classic and 4.0 being the Cliff Notes for that beautiful classic.
Well, the classic is like some delicious grapes. And the Cliff Notes would be the delicious wine created from the squeezed grapes.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Goodreads owns, any site with identical lists called best books ever and worst books ever really knows how to recommend 'em.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Meh, could be, I never pay attention to the average rating of a book on Goodreads (or on any other site for that matter). I stick with the ratings of the folks on my friends list, whose taste I already have a general sense of, and the text reviews. I use it mostly to evaluate stuff that's already caught my interest though, the last thing I need is more recommendations.

CURIOSITY OF GEESE
Jan 29, 2009

My favorite meat is hot dog, by the way. That is my favorite meat. My second favorite meat is hamburger. And, everyone says, oh, don’t you prefer steak? It’s like, I know steaks are great, but I like hot dog best, and I like hamburger next best.
Do any of you ever have trouble reading a book that's more than 400 pages long? For some reason, any time I try I end up losing all motivation around the 350-450 mark and can't push through. It makes me sad, because the books are usually good too! For instance, the one I'm stuck on right now is Robert Bolaņo's The Savage Detectives which is a drat shame cause that's one hell of a book.

Maybe I'm trying to read the wrong books? Any tips or recommendations to get me into longer fiction?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

HORROR OF GEESE posted:

Do any of you ever have trouble reading a book that's more than 400 pages long? For some reason, any time I try I end up losing all motivation around the 350-450 mark and can't push through. It makes me sad, because the books are usually good too! For instance, the one I'm stuck on right now is Robert Bolaņo's The Savage Detectives which is a drat shame cause that's one hell of a book.

Maybe I'm trying to read the wrong books? Any tips or recommendations to get me into longer fiction?

There's no law saying you have to be reading just one book at a time. When I'm reading something that's especially long or difficult for whatever reason, I tend to put it down every once in a while to switch over to something lighter or in a whole different genre. It helps to refresh me to get back in the mood for the original book.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
So I guess if you are a fan of the Gormenghast books by Mervyn Peake, there will now be a fourth, written by his widow in the 1970's, based on notes he had left behind. The manuscript was discovered in the family's attic.

http://www.amazon.com/Titus-Awakes-Novel-Mervyn-Peake/dp/159020428X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309627405&sr=8-1

CURIOSITY OF GEESE
Jan 29, 2009

My favorite meat is hot dog, by the way. That is my favorite meat. My second favorite meat is hamburger. And, everyone says, oh, don’t you prefer steak? It’s like, I know steaks are great, but I like hot dog best, and I like hamburger next best.
So I've been reading Death in Venice, and holy poo poo why did no one ever tell me how awesome Thomas Mann is? I'm reading that old 20's translation and it's fantastic. I'm seriously thinking about going straight to The Magic Mountain after this. He just goes off on the interesting tangents about the artistic process, beauty and life in general, and his allusions are pretty drat cool too. What do you all think about Mann?

Also, I've been finding some amazing books at the Goodwill nearby, and more than half of my books are from thrift stores. I found Cloud Atlas and a book of Native American myths and legends there last week for a total of three bucks. You probably should give it a shot.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
Clutter redacted.

Kaptain K fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 9, 2011

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Try here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
Thanks, somehow I figured if there'd be a "what book" thread it would be stickied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
So I've never really been a big reader in general. Besides a bunch of Dan Brown books, I hadn't read anything except for text books for college/grad school. Then I watched HBO's Game of Thrones, and read through the first 4 books in the series in 8 weeks, and am now anxiously awaiting Dance with Dragons. This morning I called around to several books stores inquiring about a potential midnight releases, and they all gave me a 'wtf, why would we bother with that' response. I've seen all the news footage of midnight releases for Harry Potter, but their doesn't seem to be many for ADWD.

I heard in another thread someone say that book releases are not like video games or movie releases and they don't always stick to a certain date, and some sellers will release them early. Is that true? Do I need to pre-order my copy, or should I just walk in? I've never tried to get a book on release day before. I'd love to get the book at midnight, but their don't seem to be any midnight releases in the northern D.C suburbs.