Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tash posted:

So you were mister gray this entire time...

Nah, long before that. Before you started playing I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
That reminds me did you hear we finally fixed PL bug?!

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tash posted:

That reminds me did you hear we finally fixed PL bug?!

Xardon's been keeping me updated. Good work all around. :)

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Is MoP navigable by lowbies? If not, what's the best way for a lowbie to get from Athica to Newport?

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
The MoP is more forgiving on lowbies. Everything has the same aggro range as if you were a 65, and you can get hit like five times instead of just three.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

Wiz posted:

I logged in my admin character under the influence of alcohol once. The staff thought we'd been hacked.

This is good advice.

I still have screenshots! In-fact Woldaff probably still has the screenshots too as I used them as supporting evidence to get my account info back after 5 years or whatever.

edit: It was really Annikaala, but we'll skim over that.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Equilibrium posted:

The MoP is more forgiving on lowbies. Everything has the same aggro range as if you were a 65, and you can get hit like five times instead of just three.

Well, the horror stories I read about level 1s going through MoP were slightly exaggerated, although I did see a couple of corpses there in weird places. The most challenging thing I had to do was turn my gamma up.

So Astralan is now plinking away on Antonica (if that's still what it's called in Dalaya). If any kind soul wants to dump lowbie magician gear and clear some bank space, I sure won't turn it down.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Goon Squad usually is willing to help a new guy out with some mid range gear. You should ask in gu!

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

I plan on it, but those that were on last night were off killing something useful. Plus there seem to be a bunch of ex-GS that don't play anymore that might be reading this thread.

Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

I made a Dwarf Paladin named Saffenn. Dwarf flips are the superior racial.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

So Project1999 seems pretty dead and aimed toward raiders anyway.

Is there information about the Goon guild for SoD lying around? Thinking about trying this out.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Goon Squad is the SA guild in SoD. It is quite active actually - it went through a hayday about a year ago as one of the premier raiding guilds on the server. It declined after that but is currently back in action with an entirely new roster working up the raid tiers. On top of that it is one of the more supportive guilds as far as new players go. I am not a member but it is the only guild channel I actually hang out in. On the whole pretty stand up folks.

Except Torleran f that guy.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
In as Puxi Troll shaman. I have been playing with a group of 5 including me, some of them aren't goons and I don't know your policies. I'll be on pretty much all night.

edit: thanks guys.

J3ng4 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 27, 2011

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

so how do I go about getting into this goon squad?

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010
In as Lysti, the lv 32 Enchanter.

I'd appreciate an invite to Goon Squad as well.

Dez
May 28, 2003

by Ozmaugh
Is there a total newb setup guide I can read somehwere? I don't mean the install/SOD patcher. I'm installed, registered, and made a new character.

I mean I have no recollection of anything of how to play from when I did almost 10 years ago now (gently caress I feel old). That and I'm sure there are some tweaks I need to do in some file here or there to make the game as pretty as possible. (enable all HQ models?) Also, 'escape' doesn't bring up a menu?

HALP

devinhead
Jul 3, 2007
I love newgoons. If you need some gear or a port around this confusing world look Sperg up

Temellin
Sep 23, 2007
More like dummelin.

Dez posted:

Is there a total newb setup guide I can read somehwere? I don't mean the install/SOD patcher. I'm installed, registered, and made a new character.

I mean I have no recollection of anything of how to play from when I did almost 10 years ago now (gently caress I feel old). That and I'm sure there are some tweaks I need to do in some file here or there to make the game as pretty as possible. (enable all HQ models?) Also, 'escape' doesn't bring up a menu?

HALP

The basic way to play is to run around with WSAD/arrow keys, find quests/click on monsters and hit this with your magic/weapons/fists of fury (depending on your class), gain experience points to level up and get better magic/weapons/fists of fury, and make friends along the way~ If you hop into goon squad they can probably help you out on getting started, and many of the low level quests do a pretty okay job of getting you used to the feel of the game.

A good place to start is by reading this wiki page it covers most of the main points of the game in a pretty newbie friendly way. The wiki is a great resource, it can help you look up quests, gear, what spells your class has at what level, and things of that nature.

To make stuff as 'pretty as possible' you just have to go into the graphics options and check off all of the advanced models (if you swing that way) and then hit enter to advance to the next screen and play. Also, some people who dual box swear by running EQPlayNice (found here)

There is no escape menu, everything is done by commands (A full list here) for example, if you want to quit out of the game you can just type /q and it will camp you out immediately to server select.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
The "escape" menu you're looking for is Alt+O.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Nobody in goon squad will talk to me. :( My name is Chenrezig. :smith:

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If anyone fresh is starting out, I have a bunch of ancient molds for Wyvernfang Coast quests in my bank, just yell at Masuriya if you're still wearing the vendor armor special.

Also if you're new this will help you get an idea of where to go to level:

http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Leveling_guide

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

First impressions after a the first few days of mucking about :

Background: I played EQ from 2000-2004, then left for Warcraft (which I left in 2009). I raided in EQ for some of pre-PoP, all of PoP, and a decent bit afterwards, in a roughly 100 person guild that was the third most successful (in raid kills) on our server. My main was a cleric, but I also had a beastlord that was geared and raided as a fill-in and on off-nights, plus alts of almost every class (gently caress bards).

About 2007-2008 I installed an EQemu server on my home server and did some customization mainly for myself and friends, but never went public with it since I really didn't have time to maintain it any longer than LAN parties would run.

Anyway, I got to this thread through the banner ad, and figured I'd give it a shot and see what it was about.

1. There's been a lot of work done on this project. It is *not* just an EQ clone with a few SQL copy/pastes. The mechanics of how classes work are at times considerably different from how they are/were on live, to the point that returning EQ players (at least druid/necro/mage that I've tried so far) need to more or less retrain themselves.

2. There's a pretty big documentation void in what these changes are, which makes this training problematic. The wiki is fair but very incomplete, and I had to dig through the forums to find answers to fairly basic class questions. Because things are so different from live, the vast majority of actual EQ documentation isn't applicable to SoD.

3. Gameplay works, and works well. There's a slight bit of moving target lag, but other than that it's consistent and predictable.

4. The new character experience varies widely between classes and races. Some combinations are done excellently well, and some simply don't exist. Just as one example, there's a well-done and funny quest line at the casters guilds in Newport, which is a great way to learn your way around Newport and get some okayish newbie gear and some xp in the process. The high elf magician guildmaster, on the other hand, doesn't even respond to hails. Apparently there's a nice quest line for rogue armor in Kelethin (that I kept getting quest drops for in gfay), and I didn't see anything like that in Newport (partially maybe because I'm KoS to the rogue guild in Newport, while I'm not in Kelethin).

5. The newbie yards also vary dramatically. I haven't seen Grobb or Erudin yet, but the Newport hunting grounds are much better than the Faydark ones. The areas around the Kelethin ramps and just outside Athica are hilly with poor sight lines and lots of opportunity to get jumped by yellow or red mobs. I understand that from a technical basis it may not be possible to flatten that area out, but combine that with no newbie quests in Athica, and it was an easy choice to take the MoP to Newport where things were 1000% easier and more enjoyable. I'm not sure the designers expect brand new players to make choices this way, but given the recent recruiting push I've seen, this might be something to look at to attract and retain new players (those that didn't ever play EQ on live).

6. The tradeskill system is disappointing, which is a shame since it looks like the theory behind it has had a lot of work and thought put into it. My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that high-end tradeskill gear is roughly on par with anything except high-end raid drops, and so as a result tradeskilling has to be made as expensive and tedious and un-fun as possible to limit the number of people doing them. There's a pretty funny thread on the forums here where the money quote is:

quote:

Also, TS isnt supposed to be fun and intresting, it is hard work not fun play.

"Tradeskills is for masochists" was a running joke in the Verant days, but it seems to have been borne out in SoD. Given the datestamps of some of these posts, it's been stable this way on SoD for many years, so I guess people have just adjusted to it and moved on.

7. By contrast, tedium and expense have largely been removed from gameplay, getting players closer to the heart of the game. Spell reagents have largely been removed from what I can tell, and bards apparently don't have to go 11223344 anymore like they had to on live. The general consensus I've read on the boards is that some of these mechanical changes have led to some class balancing issues (gently caress bards), but overall it's a vast improvement over all the crap I had to carry around with me on live.

7. The people on the server are fun and by and large more knowledgeable than they ever were on live. I suspect some of that is self-selecting, but players on SoD understand the mechanics of the game, and even the guild chat in Dalaya Beginners (the default guild you're dropped into) was far above what you would have heard in /ooc back in the day.

Overall it's been a positive experience, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the experience evolves into as I leave the newbie zones. Great job, guys!

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

So I'm assuming the server just went down?

C'est la vie. I'll get my new bard tagged tomorrow or something. For now, time for more packing.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
The server is up, currently killing frogloks...

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I've played EQ, EQ2 and I feel like trying this out for nostalgia. Just a few questions. Which expansions does SoD support? The guide just mentions several different options but are all the expansions supported?

I'd like to dual box, I know I want to play a ranger but what would be good to go along with it? Shaman or bard or something else?

Bandwidth Wagon
Nov 14, 2002

The E-Wagon of the I-Future

Drevoak posted:

I've played EQ, EQ2 and I feel like trying this out for nostalgia. Just a few questions. Which expansions does SoD support? The guide just mentions several different options but are all the expansions supported?

I'd like to dual box, I know I want to play a ranger but what would be good to go along with it? Shaman or bard or something else?

You should probably read the post that's 3 above yours. The expansions listed are the ones that the server pulls resources from, but the server is not set up content-wise like a live server. It uses resources from Velious for example, but you're not going to find sleeper's tomb with warders and primal weapons. Some of the newer zones are attached to older zones. So long as you have any number of expansions above the minimum, you should be able to play on the server. Keep in mind that while a lot of things work the same as in classic EQ, a lot of things are different as well.

As for dual boxing, any healing class works alright with a ranger. Bard would be a bit tricky but probably doable, you might also consider enchanter, you could snare/fear or use mez to control extra mobs, but it'd likely be a larger headache than just using the ranger as a tank and healing him.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Drevoak posted:

Shaman or Cleric. Be sure to level your archery along the way!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
So are there any plans to ever implement pathing in this?

One of the things holding me back from rejoining is having to constantly worry about what angle a monster is going to run at and attack you through a wall.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mercury_Storm posted:

So are there any plans to ever implement pathing in this?

One of the things holding me back from rejoining is having to constantly worry about what angle a monster is going to run at and attack you through a wall.

I wrote a fully functional pathing system back in the day, but it needs a rewrite to be usable as it's too resource-heavy.

If any current staffer is interested, feel free to shoot me a mail and I'll tell you what needs doing.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Wiz posted:

If any current staffer is interested, feel free to shoot me a mail and I'll tell you what needs doing.

You should say this to slaariel or woldaff in IRC when I am in there, sometime. I would like to see their response.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Null1fy posted:

You should say this to slaariel or woldaff in IRC when I am in there, sometime. I would like to see their response.

It's not exactly a secret... several of the current staffers were around when we were testing the system, and I've mentioned the problems with it before.

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
Wiz did you ever figure out how to get around the crippling resource use? I will totally forward it to someone if its possible - I did not think it was with the point to point view system

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Tash posted:

Wiz did you ever figure out how to get around the crippling resource use? I will totally forward it to someone if its possible - I did not think it was with the point to point view system

Yeah, I know how to reprogram it to be workable.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Treasure maps are pretty fun. You just go to a spot and dig and then monsters appear and you fight a few waves of them and then treasure spawns. Its actually pretty quick and it gives good xp and decent loot.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Stealthgerbil posted:

Treasure maps are pretty fun. You just go to a spot and dig and then monsters appear and you fight a few waves of them and then treasure spawns. Its actually pretty quick and it gives good xp and decent loot.

Do the Vah quest a few times and you might have a second outlook. But prior to that, I agree, once upon a time I liked tmaps too.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Just a tip, don't do 40-49 because those blow dick and are way overtuned and will make you want to kill yourself

Tash
Oct 7, 2008
as in too hard? In what way? I have no problem balancing them if it is true.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I had a few around that level because I wanted the 1h blunt. We had a twinked tank, two healers and 65 shaman buffs/raego and the mobs still creamed the tank half the time. The problem is too many mobs spawning at a time or THOSE loving TREES. God help you if you don't have a stunner or some interrupt for them because they will just spam heal on whatever you're trying to kill. I have no clue how a group that isn't either twinked to the gills or having an outside 65 nuke poo poo is supposed to do them without pulling their hair out in the process.

The difference between 40-49 and 50-59 is pretty ridiculous. It went from 'oh my god WHY DO THESE HIT SO HARD' to 'Well that wasn't so bad'. I did not do Tmaps before 40-49 so I have no clue if they're harder then but it seems to be general consensus from people I talked to about it that they're pretty freaking hard in the 40-49 bracket.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 4, 2011

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

haha did server just eat poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tamphex
Jun 21, 2003
Looks like. Man I'm having a blast playing an Enchanter. Certainly seem to be leveling a lot quicker then my first attempt as a Ranger too. I do have a question though; I've just hit lvl 8, where's the best place for me to be soloing at now?

• Locked thread