Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler

shane86 posted:

Are the wheel bearings in good shape? how about the ball joints, tie rod ends, and bushings?

Basically anything that has some slop could appear under breaking consdierably more dramatically than under standard driving and acceleration.

The only other thing i could suggest would be to completely replace the front rotors. Rears won't have an impact on shaking.

I'll have to check the bearings, ball joints, etc and their condition.

Should I notice a problem when not braking if it is any of those? I have no odd noises that sound like a weak bearing under acceleration and cruising speed. It rides smooth as a kitten unless I'm braking.

I'll check those out. Do bearing changes on a Forester require a hydraulic press?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Thanks for the help everyone. Just purchased Bosch 15537 Oxygen Sensor, OE Type Fitment from Amazon for $99. Just another thing to get done when I do the struts. :v:

Also, does anyone know if the fender liners in the WRX are compatible with Saabarus?

Edit: Also are the liners different between the wagon and sedan?

JayKay fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 29, 2011

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Hey, what's the consensus on using the gasket that comes with a new waterpump versus using RTV, or should I use both? I've never had a part come with a gasket so I'm wondering if I should just ignore it and use RTV, or if I should use both.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Jared592 posted:

Hey, what's the consensus on using the gasket that comes with a new waterpump versus using RTV, or should I use both? I've never had a part come with a gasket so I'm wondering if I should just ignore it and use RTV, or if I should use both.

I've always used a little RTV to hold the gasket in.

Don't you have HonkNRalph at your disposal? He'll set you straight. BTW let him know I said hi, really cool guy and I haven't had the chance to see him a a year or two. (that's right I don't care what the AI consensus is bc I lived next door to him for a year)

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

nutnmunch posted:

He probably is talking about this: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q4/lightning_lap_2011-feature/lightning_lap_2011_3a_ll2_class_page_3

I'm not really into magazine racing, but seeing the V6 Mustang edge out the STi is sort of worrying.

I don't see a V6 mustang here... only a 5.0.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10q4/lightning_lap_2011-feature/lightning_lap_2011_3a_ll1_class_page_2

Granted its a different class, but its the same track. 3:12.5 vs 3.13.8.

e:

Geoj fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 29, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

A V6 Stang is a nice car and definitely fast for the money. But his statement, taken literally, means that most other cars are faster in autocross, which is silly.

More broadly, a WRX or STi would be a fun car to drive at an autocross whether or not you want to set fast times. Absolute autocross/track performance shouldn't be a consideration; the original question was where the STi might deliver its money's worth.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Blaise posted:

I've always used a little RTV to hold the gasket in.

Don't you have HonkNRalph at your disposal? He'll set you straight. BTW let him know I said hi, really cool guy and I haven't had the chance to see him a a year or two. (that's right I don't care what the AI consensus is bc I lived next door to him for a year)
Durr, yeah, I should've just texted him. Sometimes I forget he's a mechanic (a good one at that).

I'll let him know you said hi.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I tried to use small dabs of RTV to hold the gasket on when I was replacing the waterpump, but the gasket wasn't completely flat from the factory and kept popping off.

I say this without exaggeration, the water pump was THE most difficult, frustrating, and annoying part of replacing my timing belt. loving gaskets and loving hoses.

THE YINGER BANDIT posted:

Should I notice a problem when not braking if it is any of those? I have no odd noises that sound like a weak bearing under acceleration and cruising speed. It rides smooth as a kitten unless I'm braking.

The only symptom I had of a bad wheel bearing on my WRX was movement of the hub under load that would cause the disc to make contact with the caliper bracket and also cause pad knockback. Otherwise it was whisper quiet and I could hang off the wheel like a monkey all day and not make it budge.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 29, 2011

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
^^ OH F. My WRX has something like that going on and I couldn't figure out the issue. Def pulling it apart asap. Glad I totally neglected it before a 5k+ trip.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 29, 2011

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
Are the wheel bearings hard to swap out or even possible without a hydraulic press or am I going to have to drop some dime on that?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
With the subaru service tool they get changed on the car. Without it the whole upright has to come off and you need a press.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
When I did my wheel bearings, I had to have a machine shop swap them in/out of the knuckles, so I'm guessing the answer is that you've gotta pay to get it done.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kimbo305 posted:

A V6 Stang is a nice car and definitely fast for the money. But his statement, taken literally, means that most other cars are faster in autocross, which is silly.

More broadly, a WRX or STi would be a fun car to drive at an autocross whether or not you want to set fast times. Absolute autocross/track performance shouldn't be a consideration; the original question was where the STi might deliver its money's worth.

I'd be quite confident my boring WRX would smash many 'faster' cars and I'll have a huge grin doing it. I might even if Mr Troll comes back post my trophy cabniet to prove it.

On the original question - if you are not interested in changing anything or you are in a form of track/race where you dont want to or cant change anything, STI is the go, altho the WRX still is great value. HOWEVER, if you are going to into modding or if you are going to go nuts for a track weapon I'd go WRX simply because it's a lighter beasty with less to throw away already in it. IF you are going to changing lots of things then the standard equipment of the STI isnt going to do you any good - you are going to replace almost all of it anyway. The areas of gearbox / hubs are probably the only things I wouldnt replace if I was going to go for it. Especially in countries where the price difference is much bigger - 40K WRX vs 75K STI is a no brainer, you CAN do STI performance out of the WRX for much MUCH less than the price difference.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

JayKay posted:

Also, does anyone know if the fender liners in the WRX are compatible with Saabarus?

In case anyone was wondering, Saabaru fender liners are unique to the model and not compatible with WRX fender liners.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Especially in countries where the price difference is much bigger - 40K WRX vs 75K STI is a no brainer, you CAN do STI performance out of the WRX for much MUCH less than the price difference.

what the gently caress? Here in the US an sti is only about 6-10k more new, and totally worth it if you are doing any form of racing or track driving etc.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Real world problems trumped 9/10ths performance gains for me with my decision.

Being able to share wheels between my 2002 and 2011 has been priceless to me so far.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Friend of mine was at pikes peak last weekend and ended up in a guard rail. oops.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

jamal posted:

Friend of mine was at pikes peak last weekend and ended up in a guard rail. oops.

That looks expensive.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Lazor posted:

tyre stuff

Cool, thanks for the info. I guess I'll leave the snow tyre on that I have for the next few weeks, and then swap over to some dedicated summer rubber, once the major chunk of gravel driving is over. In retrospect, I guess it was kind of a fool's errand looking for car dual sport tyres - with a motorcycle you're stuck (or nearly so) on tyre width, and things like tread life are measured in thousands of km, not 10s of thousands. Thanks for the link, now I just have to find some rallycross around my area. :D

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

Wheel stuff

Good to know, now I just need to find a competent welder...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

jamal posted:

what the gently caress? Here in the US an sti is only about 6-10k more new, and totally worth it if you are doing any form of racing or track driving etc.

Yeah well you can get a WRX at what.... 24K USD? These days thats closer to 21K AUD. US car prices are just completly absurdly low for the exact same car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cat Terrist posted:

Yeah well you can get a WRX at what.... 24K USD? These days thats closer to 21K AUD. US car prices are just completly absurdly low for the exact same car.

God bless America I guess

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Simkin posted:

Good to know, now I just need to find a competent welder...

Just find a wheel repair shop with a decent amount of feedback on any car forum and you should be fine.

kimbo305 posted:

My point is the WRX/STi aren't really all that fast any more and the benefits of an STi over a WRX are so much less pronounced than they once were. Sure, front LSDs, SI drive and the different transmission is nice but is the car going to need it for the autoX or tracking a daily driver? Is it worth the extra $7k? Realistically it isn't, that's all.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
They might not be "all that fast" compared to competition, but they're still pretty dang fast.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sure, front LSDs, SI drive and the different transmission is nice but is the car going to need it for the autoX or tracking a daily driver?
Need? No, but all you need for autox is a 20 year old miata.
It sure is loving nice. Don't under-estimate that front LSD's value in AX.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

My point is the WRX/STi aren't really all that fast any more and the benefits of an STi over a WRX are so much less pronounced than they once were. Sure, front LSDs, SI drive and the different transmission is nice but is the car going to need it for the autoX or tracking a daily driver? Is it worth the extra $7k? Realistically it isn't, that's all.

A few selected brench racing articles != fast. In the wet sideways at 180kph and keeping it under control = fast

Care to challenge me on this?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Cat Terrist posted:

A few selected brench racing articles != fast. In the wet sideways at 180kph and keeping it under control = fast

Yes, go make some videos and post them as evidence.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Cat Terrist posted:

I trust a few selected bench racing articles that include objective measurements of cars performance over some guy who says "No you're wrong come at me bro I drive 200mph sideways".

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I'm about ready to convert my OEM wheels over to winter duty, anyone have opinions on SSR Type F or Advan RS? Or should I just cheap out and get Rota DPTs instead? All three are significantly lighter than the stock wheels in 17". The JDM wheels are also hilariously difficult to find, possibly due to the tsunami.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

blargle posted:

I'm about ready to convert my OEM wheels over to winter duty, anyone have opinions on SSR Type F or Advan RS? Or should I just cheap out and get Rota DPTs instead? All three are significantly lighter than the stock wheels in 17". The JDM wheels are also hilariously difficult to find, possibly due to the tsunami.

Rota G-Forces are copies of the RS if you prefer that smaller style lip. I have gold 17x7.5 G-Forces coming in the mail right now, which I'll be using year round. I just weighed the "expensive forged JDM tyteness" vs 'cast cheapy Rotas" argument in my head and ended up choosing the latter, because if they get curbed or if I nail a pothole I'm not going to cry like I would if I damaged a beautiful expensive wheel, and these things are going to get the poo poo beat out of them in New England winters.

If you have the means though, go for the real deal.

Drugraid4am
Jan 16, 2004

Hey does anyone know any good places in SoCal to get my head gaskets repaired? I have a 2003 Forester (105,000 miles) and found out today they are leaking. I've been poking in this thread/form some since I found I had this issue and apparently I'm not the only one.

I made this topic and was told some people in here would possible know some good places! PM me or post here if you do. I would really appreciate it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Amandyke posted:

Yes, go make some videos and post them as evidence.

Lowclock posted:

I trust a few selected bench racing articles that include objective measurements of cars performance over some guy who says "No you're wrong come at me bro I drive 200mph sideways".

CT has some track videos of him (in the wet iirc) driving his STi. I guess you could decide from those if he was a fast driver or not. It's irrelevant to the discussion of when/how a turbo Subaru can be fast.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Drugraid4am posted:

Hey does anyone know any good places in SoCal to get my head gaskets repaired? I have a 2003 Forester (105,000 miles) and found out today they are leaking. I've been poking in this thread/form some since I found I had this issue and apparently I'm not the only one.

I made this topic and was told some people in here would possible know some good places! PM me or post here if you do. I would really appreciate it.

I hear Jamal knows of a place though. I've heard it's pretty fly by night though...
http://aqmotorsports.com/

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Amandyke posted:

I hear Jamal knows of a place though. I've heard it's pretty fly by night though...
http://aqmotorsports.com/

I hear some real goons run that shop. :stare:

Drugraid4am
Jan 16, 2004

Thanks for the link, but they are pretty far north of me. I'm closer to the border. Not going to get it done in TJ either lol.

If I can't find anything else I'll just go with the one place I found. I really do appreciate all the advice I've gotten here so far from people though.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

jamal posted:

Any info on the car prior to the accident? Build pictures or specs?

allonblack
Dec 9, 2004

Yes, you.

blargle posted:

kylej posted:

Rota G-Forces are copies of the RS if you prefer that smaller style lip. I have gold 17x7.5 G-Forces coming in the mail right now, which I'll be using year round. I just weighed the "expensive forged JDM tyteness" vs 'cast cheapy Rotas" argument in my head and ended up choosing the latter, because if they get curbed or if I nail a pothole I'm not going to cry like I would if I damaged a beautiful expensive wheel, and these things are going to get the poo poo beat out of them in New England winters.

If you have the means though, go for the real deal.

Do not buy Advan RS's. They are NOT forged and there's truly no gain in getting them over the Rota GForces. I just made this same decision and after doing my homework I was very happy to not spend the money on the RS's after finding this out. You would literally be paying for the name as they are very similar in weight and made by essentially the same process.

You have fine taste ;D

thealphabetsez posted:

Any info on the car prior to the accident? Build pictures or specs?

It's the Zenkai Motorsports STI. Zenkai is a performance shop that I believe is part of Las Vegas Subaru. Piloted by the great Stephan Verdier, powered by a Crawford performance block 540HP.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDbMw1z60yg
Article: http://www.urbanracer.com/articles/anmviewer.asp?a=4891&z=18

allonblack fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 1, 2011

Simkin
May 18, 2007

So for wheel repair I was quote $160, which is pretty much what a brand new aftermarket wheel would cost. Do I go that route and rock two OEM wheels up front, and two aftermarket on the back, or do I just wait around to find someone getting rid of stock wheels on the cheap.

Also, why is it getting harder to find decent wheels (and tyres) in 16"? Sigh.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Simkin posted:

So for wheel repair I was quote $160, which is pretty much what a brand new aftermarket wheel would cost. Do I go that route and rock two OEM wheels up front, and two aftermarket on the back, or do I just wait around to find someone getting rid of stock wheels on the cheap.

Also, why is it getting harder to find decent wheels (and tyres) in 16"? Sigh.

Lurk forums. Buy an OEM set. Hell, for $400 you can usually pick up a set of four WRX wheels. Don't do the two OEM and two aftermarket unless their offsets are the same. There are plenty of tires in 16".

Hankook Ventus R-S3
Star Specs
Bridgestone RE-11s

Edit, er $400 was an over estimate...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2205476 - $250 for '05 WRX Wheels

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2200947 - $100 for '04 WRX

They're out there. Just gotta find one close to you.

c355n4 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Cool, I'll do that. I don't even need a full set, but people are usually not inclined to let you just buy one wheell