Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

loving protectionist canadian content requirements! :argh:

The worst part is that canadian content is usually terrible :canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
So true.

gently caress Road to Avonlea, gently caress Wind at my Back, and DOUBLE-gently caress The Littlest Hobo. :colbert:

That said, Little Mosque on the Prarie is hilarious, and The Nature of Things is still good.

They should just do what the Native channel does, and incude content with canadian actors, or content filmed in canadian locations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Audible just offered me the chance to buy 3 more credits for $36. Good deal if it applies to your account: http://www.audible.com/extracredits

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, the price-per-credit is roughly equal to a Platinum account.

I picked up the last two Mistborn books, because I didn't want to wait until June First. :effort:
Not sure what else I'll get.

Maybe The Yugo: The Rise and Fall of the Worst Car in History? :haw:
If I didn't already own the hardcover, I'd get this one: Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 26, 2011

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Mister Macys posted:

The blurb reads almost like a book-version of NPH's Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog :science:.
Or at least, the first-hand account of an Evil Overlord™.
The narrator sounds crisp and clear, too.

I'm gonna give it a shot.
How to Succeed In Evil.

Ape Gone Insane
Dec 10, 2010

I'm having a hard time choosing which narrator to go with for the Harry Potter series. Stephen Fry sounds more lively but most of the characters sound more or less the same whereas Jim Dale does a fantastic range of voices.

Has anybody got any preference?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ape Gone Insane posted:

I'm having a hard time choosing which narrator to go with for the Harry Potter series. Stephen Fry sounds more lively but most of the characters sound more or less the same whereas Jim Dale does a fantastic range of voices.

I'd go with whomever can do the best version of the huge outdoorsy guy whose name escapes me.
The, "You're a wizard 'Arry." guy.

Picked up the second two books in the Mistborn series.
Also got these:

Soon I Will be Invincible: A Novel
Narr. - Paul Boehmer and Coleen Marlo
Get this book. I really can't recommend it enough. Fun as Hell, and plenty of homages.
5/5

Wicked Bugs: The Louse That Conquered Napoleon’s Army and Other Diabolical Insects
Narr. - Coleen Marlo
Cool book. Short, but informationally dense, if you get me. Runs in alphabetical order.
4/5

And everyone in the world should own this book:

Physics for Future Presidents: The Science Behind the Headlines
Seriously. I mean it.

That said, I'd recommend the actual book personally, I don't like the narrator.
Or you can listen and watch the author himself, courtesy of U.C. Berkeley:
My favorite one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BHdsjo-NR4

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 26, 2011

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Ape Gone Insane posted:

I've listened to the both of them and it's pretty much as you described. Both are excellent but if I was going to listen to them again I'd listen to Stephens version.

ZhouEnlai 2.0
Aug 3, 2005

Last Mandarin bureaucrat in the Confucian tradition.
I really love Audible. In the last 18 months, I've listened to 81 books from them. I probably would have only read 3 or 4 books in this time. Listening to them at double speed my ipod makes it so easy.

I did the "3 Extra Credits" deal twice and got the following books:

- For Better: Science of a Good Marriage (Tara Parker-Pope)
- Gone With the Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
- Guns, Germs and Steel (Jared Diamond)
- A Journey (Tony Blair)
- Misquoting Jesus (Bart D. Ehrman)
- Wind Up Bird Chronicle (Haruki Murakami)

The two I most recently finished were:

- Lolita
Brilliantly narrated by Jeremy Irons.
- Kafka on the Shore
Now one of my favourite books, also amazed by the work the narrators did.

Both of these I would give 5/5.

Worst book I ever listened to:

- Born to Kvetch
Covers a history of Yiddish. It's synopsis made it sound like it would be quite funny. A few laughs at the beginning, but then just droned on for ages. Surprised I managed to finish it, almost became the first book I gave up on. I probably should have expected it to be more technical.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Go the F--k to Sleep
Free six minute "bedtime" story, narrated by SAMUEL. L. loving. JACKSON.
11/5.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 21, 2011

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Picked up "Night Watch" on audible. I'd been intending to read it for a while after I saw the movies, and it's pretty good. Very noir detective novel type stuff.

Also there's a new version of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman on audible, which I was tempted to nab. Anyone heard it?

Petra Arkanian
May 9, 2007
I would never lie, I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation

coyo7e posted:

Also there's a new version of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman on audible, which I was tempted to nab. Anyone heard it?

I've been listening to it. There are a few cheesy, radio-story elements (crackly voices on the phone, sounds like he's in a tunnel when talking about a memory or dream) but other than that, Neil Gaiman is a great reader.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

coyo7e posted:

Currently listening to it. He's a great narrator and I think it's the best way to enjoy his books. As previously stated there are a couple dumb sound effects but I'd recommend the audiobook without hesitation.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Man, I can't stop buying audiobooks. I never thought I could go through so many this easily.
32-35 books since September.

Here's my latest:

Scorecasting: The Hidden Influences Behind How Sports Are Played and Games Are Won
Narr. - Zach McLarty
The Mythbusters of sports books. Confronts conventional sports wisdom (defense wins championships, punt on 4th down, etc.), and sees if the data backs the claims up. You can hear the narrator connecting with the book, finding things as interesting or funny as we would. Specific sports mentioned include Hockey, Basketball, Baseball, Football, Soccer, Tennis, and Golf, that I remember.
4/5

The Automatic Detective
Authour: A. Lee Martinez
Narr. - Marc Vietor
Imagine a detective story... set in a dystopian future city of mutants, psychics, robots, and radiation, starring a seven-foot tall prototype warbot... just trying to make an honest living, like the rest of us. Relatively new authour on the sci-fi scene, too. Gonna keep checking his stuff out.
5/5

Wicked Plants: The Weed That Killed Lincoln's Mother and Other Botanical Atrocities
Narr. - Coleen Marlo
The plant version of Wicked Bugs (see previous posts). You'll learn things you never would've guessed, like celery increasing one's sensitivity to sunlight. :supaburn:
5/5

The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York
Narr. - Coleen Marlo (yes, I like her voice...:allears: )
Grabbed this when Audible sprung the "Buy another book for only five bucks!" deal on me. Cool informative book that includes the history of radium use in the U.S., and its scandals (you could buy radium SODA. Think about that for a minute). Not finished listening yet. Interesting as Hell though.

It's organized by poison types. Includes Radium, Carbon Monoxide, Arsenic, and Cyanides, to name a few.
5/5

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jul 5, 2011

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Anyone have an android app recommendation for audiobooks? I'm currently using Akimbo Player. It's ok, I guess.

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

Shakugan posted:

Anyone have an android app recommendation for audiobooks? I'm currently using Akimbo Player. It's ok, I guess.

Mortplayer is awesome. It's got every feature I've ever wanted in an audiobook player

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Does anyone know if there is a general site that tracks audiobook releases, through any retailer/medium? Right now I dig through five sites to see what's new from time to time, and there has to be some consolidated list out there somewhere...

Kid
Jun 18, 2004

Gotcha

The Grand Judabuddha posted:

Mortplayer is awesome. It's got every feature I've ever wanted in an audiobook player

Have you seen an option to increase/decrease the playback speed in mortplayer? That is the only option I can't find, and would like since some readers are so slow.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Petra Arkanian posted:

I've been listening to it. There are a few cheesy, radio-story elements (crackly voices on the phone, sounds like he's in a tunnel when talking about a memory or dream) but other than that, Neil Gaiman is a great reader.
I was referring to the new one, which isn't read by him. That's why I called it the new version.

http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=wl_1?asin=B0055274U2

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

coyo7e posted:

I was referring to the new one, which isn't read by him. That's why I called it the new version.

http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=wl_1?asin=B0055274U2
You asked about Neverwhere which is not the new recording of American Gods

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Ahh, well that was a typo, then. It's not Neverwhere's 10th anniversary.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mister Macys posted:

Maybe it's because I'm an atheist, or a Canadian, or because I don't research authours' personal lives, but I don't notice any agendas. :tinfoil:

I didn't realize it for a long time but Ender's Game is about the Mormon belief that it's not what you do that matters, it's your intentions. Kinda the flipside to "The road to hell..." It's why he's played up as being made a pariah over the Third Invasion, you're supposed to empathize with him and feel like he's innocent.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Syrinxx posted:

Currently listening to it. He's a great narrator and I think it's the best way to enjoy his books. As previously stated there are a couple dumb sound effects but I'd recommend the audiobook without hesitation.
There was a BBC television miniseries of it, which was cheesy in the Hitchiker's Guide vein, but I quite enjoyed it. http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Neverwhere/60030967?trkid=2361637

There was an audiobook/podcast by a writer named Mike Bartlett IIRC, named something like, "The Terrible Business of Salmon and Dusk, or How to Disappear Completely" which is quite Neverwhere-esque mixed with a detective novel, and quite fun.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 30, 2011

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

ZhouEnlai 2.0 posted:

- Lolita
Brilliantly narrated by Jeremy Irons.
He also did Brideshead Revisited, which I'm most of the way through, and is already the best audiobook performance I've heard.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but I am on Wolves of the Calla, book V in the Dark Tower series and the new narrator, George Guidall, is driving me crazy. The previous narrator, Frank Muller, seemed so perfect and this guy is just absolutely terrible. Are there alternative reads that I can't locate through google or the library system? I can't believe I have to finish this series with this guy.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jul 5, 2011

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Frank Muller was a narrating god. He's the only narrator I've ever heard who was able to convincingly pull off distinct voices for each character. His delivery was perfect. So many of Roland's quotes are given such an amazing feeling of, well, epicness.

Unfortunately Muller was in a motorcycle accident which prevented him from recording any more books until his death in 2008. As far as I know, George Guidall is the only narrator for the later books of the Dark Tower.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Shakugan posted:

He's the only narrator I've ever heard who was able to convincingly pull off distinct voices for each character. His delivery was perfect.

I think Christopher Lee was able to achieve something similar in the Children of Hurin. All the characters, young, old, female, high born, low, not-human and etc... all had different, distinct, recognizable and emotive voices.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but I am on Wolves of the Calla, book V in the Dark Tower series and the new narrator, George Guidall, is driving me crazy. The previous narrator, Frank Muller, seemed so perfect and this guy is just absolutely terrible. Are there alternative reads that I can't locate through google or the library system? I can't believe I have to finish this series with this guy.
When I finished Wolves of the Calla I didn't ever want to touch the series again either, so be glad it's just the narrator turning you off rather than the abysmal story.

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

Kid posted:

Have you seen an option to increase/decrease the playback speed in mortplayer? That is the only option I can't find, and would like since some readers are so slow.

I guess not. I never use that so I've never noticed.

Fish Ladder Theory
Jun 7, 2005

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Just give up. Song of Susannah is loving terrible

edit: chap

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
But (wolves of the calla spoiler) World as Myth is such an original idea! A legion of Doctor Doom clone robots is the awesomest idea! It doesn't get any better!

Stephen King got all the good writing knocked out of him by that minivan. The last thing he wrote that I felt was worthwhile was On Writing, because his autobiography was fun.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Many thanks to the guy who mentioned Scott Sigler in the horror thread, you made my summer. I'd never had any interest in audiobooks before, but that recommendation made me try Contagious on podiobooks.com, and it turned out to be a fantastic source of entertainment for when I'm on the move. Now I'm downloading all his novels I can find, while it's summer and it's still feasible to spend lots of time outdoors. Cardio has never been this exciting!
Currently listening to Earthcore, his earliest "podiobook", and the recording quality is kinda unfortunate in that one, but the story is well worth tolerating it for.
The guy's got such a mean voice, great for talking about violence and incredible deaths. He also uses ridiculous nu-metal as intros and outros, which somehow seems appropriate. Also he does voices, which is also kind of ridiculous, but you get used to it. And it's all free unless you decide to thank him for being such a good sport and donate.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

woodenchicken posted:

Many thanks to the guy who mentioned Scott Sigler in the horror thread, you made my summer. I'd never had any interest in audiobooks before, but that recommendation made me try Contagious on podiobooks.com, and it turned out to be a fantastic source of entertainment for when I'm on the move. Now I'm downloading all his novels I can find, while it's summer and it's still feasible to spend lots of time outdoors. Cardio has never been this exciting!
Currently listening to Earthcore, his earliest "podiobook", and the recording quality is kinda unfortunate in that one, but the story is well worth tolerating it for.
The guy's got such a mean voice, great for talking about violence and incredible deaths. He also uses ridiculous nu-metal as intros and outros, which somehow seems appropriate. Also he does voices, which is also kind of ridiculous, but you get used to it. And it's all free unless you decide to thank him for being such a good sport and donate.
Yeah I love Sigler, he's so totally over the top and so obviously loves doing it. I think Earthcore was his first book, which is why it's a little crummier than some of his others. I tend to skip the first minute or three of his episodes to get past the nu-metal and bombast. Infection was so horrific I couldn't get through it though after the guy locked himself in the bathroom and was trying to pull alien parasites out of his nuts with tweezers :byodood:

I strongly recommend the "The Rookie" and the other books in the galactic football league series (he's been releasing the latest one "The Starter" via RSS). I don't even really like football but goddamn they're fun. I'd buy them but they're kinda expensive and I'm kinda poor - which is why I like to namedrop him in here to give him some more listeners/readers :(

I can't recall the name of it, but one of his podiobooks was so ridiculous I loved it - the monsters were genetically engineered cow-dinosaur-sharks, and the sterongest monster was spotted like a Holstein which cracked me up bigtime.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 13, 2011

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

coyo7e posted:

When I finished Wolves of the Calla I didn't ever want to touch the series again either, so be glad it's just the narrator turning you off rather than the abysmal story.

I ended up skipping about 100 pages, but the last 2-3 hours of the book were pretty decent. I had ending up reading spoilers of the ending, expecting the worst, and people made it sound pretty bad. I felt like it was dealt with in the book much better than people described. I'm going to give SoS a try, but I am starting to feel like his new installment of Dark Tower is meant to be useful a a film producer/director/writer above anything else.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 14, 2011

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
Odeipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.

coyo7e posted:

Scott Sigler

I love that you can tell he's not in any way a professional voice actor when he does the women/children characters.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3422981
Son of Strelka, Son of God is worth a listen. It's narrated by Barack Obama and written by a goon.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The General posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3422981
Son of Strelka, Son of God is worth a listen. It's narrated by Barack Obama and written by a goon.

*snaps fingers*

That's some serious beatnik-coffee-shop-poetry poo poo right there.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

The Automatic Detective
Authour: A. Lee Martinez
Narr. - Marc Vietor
Imagine a detective story... set in a dystopian future city of mutants, psychics, robots, and radiation, starring a seven-foot tall prototype warbot... just trying to make an honest living, like the rest of us. Relatively new authour on the sci-fi scene, too. Gonna keep checking his stuff out.
5/5

You pretty much just sold me on this. I just bought DwD (the Kindle version, assuming the audio is a ways off) for my upcoming 13 hour plane ride, but this looks like a solid #2.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

coyo7e posted:

Infection was so horrific I couldn't get through it though after the guy locked himself in the bathroom and was
Yeah, Contagious is no slouch either (i'm talking about that scene). But I'm waiting for Pandemic, have to know what happens to that universe in the end (although it seems that all of his books take place in one universe, sort of?)

I was going to ignore the football stuff, because I'm not even sure how American football works, but if you say it's interesting I'll download it just in case, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Here's an anti-recommendation for Charles Stross' Halting State. One of the book's gimmicks is that it's written in second-person and changes point-of-view characters with every chapter. That's fine in and of itself, but several of the characters are Scottish and the narrator insists on using ear-stabbingly horrible Scottish accents for the entirety of their chapters. You build up a tolerance for it over time, but I'd much rather read it than listen to it.

Does anyone have the new full-cast audio version of American Gods who has also listened to the superb George Guidall version or read the original book? I'm not a huge fan of the full-cast version so far - Guidall is the One True Voice for this book, especially Wednesday - but I'm curious as to whether the additional content for the anniversary edition is worth it.