Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
Are there any works of fiction set in the last 15 or so years of the Mexican drug war? I'm indifferent to what side of the war the book's perspective is from; la policía, the DEA, the criminals themselves, or citizens. A dark novel with some action.

I was going to write "Man On Fire in book form" but I notice the movie is actually based off a book. Dodged a bullet there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

Are there any works of fiction set in the last 15 or so years of the Mexican drug war? I'm indifferent to what side of the war the book's perspective is from; la policía, the DEA, the criminals themselves, or citizens. A dark novel with some action.

I was going to write "Man On Fire in book form" but I notice the movie is actually based off a book. Dodged a bullet there.

Don Winslow's Savages, which I like to think of as No Country for Nice Dreams.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I want to read the book that I THOUGHT Packing for Mars would be. I was expecting a thorough exploration of the science behind spaceflight and the difficulties of pushing farther into space than we have. I didn't realize it would be a collection of journalism-y pieces about wacky space antics. (Once I realized what the book actually was, I got into it, but I still want to find the imaginary, hard-science-y version of the book that I was expecting to read.)

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I used to read a lot of classic and modern "literature" type stuff - Tolstoy, etc - but I've recently started really liking thriller/mystery stuff. The first book I read was Bad Things Happen, which I happened up randomly, opened and read the first paragraph, and was hooked. It was pretty good.

So then I went to Barnes and Noble and asked for a recommendation based on that, and they told me to try Lee Child, the Reacher novels. They are pretty good also, but they are all the same formula(Reacher gets pulled into a conspiracy or some such thing, there is some sadistic torturous killer and his goons, he meets and seduces a beautiful woman, then Reacher kills everyone). Also,since it is the same I know the hero isn't going to die, and I also feel like the first 2/3s of the books are always great because the mystery builds and tensions increases, but at the end it's always a big letdown because Reacher basically just kills all the bad guys and that's that.

Are there any really good, high quality books in this genre? Hard-boiled, mysterious, thrillers?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Doghouse posted:

Are there any really good, high quality books in this genre? Hard-boiled, mysterious, thrillers?

A good place to start is probably Richard Stark's Parker series. Stark's books are incredibly well written and are classics of the genre. The Reacher books clearly owe a lot to Parker, who doesn't have the cartoony supermanish invincibility that Reacher has.

Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch books are hard boiled police procedurals with plenty of thriller elements. The Poet is a standalone serial killer thriller. His books are all well written.

Harlan Coben has a bunch of good innocent-man-on-the-run thrillers. Tell No One is very good. Also Dennis Lehane's Gone Baby Gone, Linwood Barclay's Never Look Away, The Boys from Brazil by Ira Levin.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Doghouse posted:

I used to read a lot of classic and modern "literature" type stuff - Tolstoy, etc - but I've recently started really liking thriller/mystery stuff. The first book I read was Bad Things Happen, which I happened up randomly, opened and read the first paragraph, and was hooked. It was pretty good.

So then I went to Barnes and Noble and asked for a recommendation based on that, and they told me to try Lee Child, the Reacher novels. They are pretty good also, but they are all the same formula(Reacher gets pulled into a conspiracy or some such thing, there is some sadistic torturous killer and his goons, he meets and seduces a beautiful woman, then Reacher kills everyone). Also,since it is the same I know the hero isn't going to die, and I also feel like the first 2/3s of the books are always great because the mystery builds and tensions increases, but at the end it's always a big letdown because Reacher basically just kills all the bad guys and that's that.

I really like The Third Man by Graham Greene.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Doghouse posted:

You might like Alex Berenson's John Wells novels, starting with The Faithful Spy, which is my favorite spy thriller of all time. The fourth one, The Midnight House, sounds like it might be more what you're looking for, as it's a mix of detective novel and spy thriller. Not a lot of action in that one, though, if that's what you're looking for.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.
I loved Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion (Dan Simmons). If I had never read any of his other books he would be my favourite author of all time. I had to spoil it all didn't I?

I really, really liked the idea of Ilium and Olympos. However the execution, although it did keep me reading, was less than satisfactory. The whole Muslims (and the French?) kill everyone by mistake with intra-dimensional monsters in the future, trying to get the Jews, was a little hard to bear. Not to mention the "Walk that way". "Why"? "Just do it" resolution of the plot arc for one of the main characters

Anything else in space opera meets classical writings/poetry/philosophic thought mish mash genre?

isoprenaline fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 24, 2011

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
A girl I'm... well lets not use a verb because I don't know which one to use... is a chronic workaholic. It's not a point of contention or anything, and we joke about it.

She's about to go away for a few months and I'm looking for a book that has themes along the line of, "it's okay to strive for success but you also need to find your interests and enjoy life." I'd prefer that it wasn't self-helpey and instead fiction, or lighthearted in some way.

Anybody care to recommend something to give as a gift (and also to read)?

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

Is there anything like The Wanting Seed mixed with American Psycho?
Meaning a character like pat bateman running around a dystopia obsessing over everything and not taking itself serious?

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

The Gay Bean posted:

A girl I'm... well lets not use a verb because I don't know which one to use... is a chronic workaholic. It's not a point of contention or anything, and we joke about it.

She's about to go away for a few months and I'm looking for a book that has themes along the line of, "it's okay to strive for success but you also need to find your interests and enjoy life." I'd prefer that it wasn't self-helpey and instead fiction, or lighthearted in some way.

Anybody care to recommend something to give as a gift (and also to read)?

It isn't exactly about being successful, but Apathy and Other Small Victories is a great book. I love it.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Can anyone recommend some pre-Christian, pre-Roman European literature/mythology? I'm aware of the Poetic and Prose Eddas, the Sagas of Icelanders, and Beowulf kind of fits as well. Some pagan Celtic/Anglo-Saxon literature would be especially great if such things are available.

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008
Jive One, I recommend the Mythology thread for you! It should only be a few pages down in the book barn.

Oh no, it's in archives. But if you have 'em... http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381055&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Are there any good fantasy novels about gypsies and traveling musicians? The only "good" series I read was Mercedes Lackey's Bardic Voices, but now can't stand because, well... Mercedes Lackey.

kreyla fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 28, 2011

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Can someone recommend some good magical realist novels? Something similar to One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez would be great.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Jive One posted:

Can anyone recommend some pre-Christian, pre-Roman European literature/mythology? I'm aware of the Poetic and Prose Eddas, the Sagas of Icelanders, and Beowulf kind of fits as well. Some pagan Celtic/Anglo-Saxon literature would be especially great if such things are available.

The Mabinogion, a collection of ancient Welsh tales and this Penguin collection of Irish/Celtic lore might be up your alley.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Friends Are Evil posted:

Can someone recommend some good magical realist novels? Something similar to One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez would be great.
Try something else by Márquez (I'd recommend Love in the Time of Cholera), Jorge Luis Borges, or Juan Rulfo. Most of their stuff is good.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Salman Rushdie's most famous books, The Satanic Verses and Midnight's Children, are great examples of magic realism. And great books.

Mark Helprin's Winter's Tale and John Crowley's Little, Big are also pretty good books with magic realism elements.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

kreyla posted:

Jive One, I recommend the Mythology thread for you! It should only be a few pages down in the book barn.

Oh no, it's in archives. But if you have 'em... http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381055&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Are there any good fantasy novels about gypsies and traveling musicians? The only "good" series I read was Mercedes Lackey's Bardic Voices, but now can't stand because, well... Mercedes Lackey.

barkingclam posted:

The Mabinogion, a collection of ancient Welsh tales and this Penguin collection of Irish/Celtic lore might be up your alley.

Perfect, thanks for the suggestions!

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
Can someone recommend me a novel or author similar to Don DeLillo, Graham Greene or John Steinbeck?

Also, any good post-apocalyptic world novels? I have read The Road (only one I can think of at the moment).

Thanks

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Can of Cloud posted:

Also, any good post-apocalyptic world novels? I have read The Road (only one I can think of at the moment).

Thanks

Scroll through the last few weeks of Sci-Fi/Fantasy Thread- this question pops up frequently over there. My personal favorite is George Stewart's [b]Earth Abides[b].

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What's a good book about how stars collapse? Like electron degeneracy, neutron degeneracy, the hydrogen to iron cycle thing, all that jazz.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
I just finished off The Last Victim and I'm looking for more good true crime/serial killer books. Anyone have some suggestions?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What's a good book about how stars collapse? Like electron degeneracy, neutron degeneracy, the hydrogen to iron cycle thing, all that jazz.

I really liked Death From the Skies. It's about lots if different ways the universe could destroy the earth, including stars going supernova, gamma ray bursts, asteroids/comets, black holes, the eventual heat death of the universe, and more. It may not be as detailed specifically about a star's life cycle as you're looking for, since that's just one section, but it has good, easy to understand scientific explanations of lots of cool space stuff.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

fallin1 posted:

I just finished off The Last Victim and I'm looking for more good true crime/serial killer books. Anyone have some suggestions?

I posted some a few pages ago and have a couple of additions. The true crime I read is almost exclusively historical:

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher (Kate Summerscale): Murder in Road, England, in the 1800s. Good build and then the last chapter will just knock your socks off.

For the Thrill of It: Leopold, Loeb, and the Murder That Shocked Chicago (Simon Baatz): You're probably familiar with at least of the details, but it's pretty engaging.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 30, 2011

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I'm interested in books about the FBI/CIA/intelligence/national security. The more accurate, the better. I've literally read nothing on this subject, and I've deliberately kept it broad. Any ideas?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Blakkout posted:

I'm interested in books about the FBI/CIA/intelligence/national security. The more accurate, the better. I've literally read nothing on this subject, and I've deliberately kept it broad. Any ideas?

It's not much in terms of history/general overview of the agencies, but The Watchers: The Rise of America's Surveillance State by Shane Harris is a pretty interesting look at, well, America's surveillance state. It starts in the 80s with John Poindexter and gets deep into the NSA Total Information Awareness data-mining project and all the complicated legal, social, and political issues surrounding it. It's an easy read and far more enjoyable and dramatic than my description might sound.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Blakkout posted:

Body Of Secrets by James Bamford is a really good book about the history and workings of the NSA. (He's done a follow-up, The Shadow Factory, but I haven't read it yet.)

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

funkybottoms posted:

It's not much in terms of history/general overview of the agencies, but The Watchers: The Rise of America's Surveillance State by Shane Harris is a pretty interesting look at, well, America's surveillance state. It starts in the 80s with John Poindexter and gets deep into the NSA Total Information Awareness data-mining project and all the complicated legal, social, and political issues surrounding it. It's an easy read and far more enjoyable and dramatic than my description might sound.

Payndz posted:

Body Of Secrets by James Bamford is a really good book about the history and workings of the NSA. (He's done a follow-up, The Shadow Factory, but I haven't read it yet.)

Thanks. Just scooped up both of these on the cheap from Amazon. I'd welcome any additional suggestions as well.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
Is The Psychopath Test any good? I've been on the fence about getting it; I read the sample on my Kindle, but it didn't really seem to have much to do with what the description said it was about, so I'm not sure if it's really representative of the book's quality.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Jigsaw posted:

Is The Psychopath Test any good? I've been on the fence about getting it; I read the sample on my Kindle, but it didn't really seem to have much to do with what the description said it was about, so I'm not sure if it's really representative of the book's quality.

I liked it a lot. Jon Ronson's style is that he starts with a question and takes the reader on his journey for an answer. The sample was the very first part where he explains how he got curious about psychopaths. I thought it was an entertaining ride.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Robopocalypse...

That's all that really needs to be said, simply greatly written, great subject matter. Just wow.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Day Man posted:

I really liked Death From the Skies. It's about lots if different ways the universe could destroy the earth, including stars going supernova, gamma ray bursts, asteroids/comets, black holes, the eventual heat death of the universe, and more. It may not be as detailed specifically about a star's life cycle as you're looking for, since that's just one section, but it has good, easy to understand scientific explanations of lots of cool space stuff.

Yeah Phil Plait is cool, I'll probably snag that one eventually, but right now I'm looking for some real hardcore star poo poo.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Since I recently finished them, I'm going to recommend them, Sci-Fi 'Tours des Forces' The Forever War and Neuromancer (not related).

Easily some of the best sci-fi books every written, and Neuromancer, aside from being now one of my favorite books ever, actually surprised me a lot by being almost prose-y at times.

I'll go ahead and recommend The Strain Trilogy as well, but on the caveat that it is in fact about vampires (which is apparently all the rage) who are kinda like zombies (which is also all the rage?). Smart, relatively scientific, and a nice page turner.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Lately, I've been watching Deadwood, and just before that, playing Red Dead Redemption, while this may see some people rolling their eyes at what will come next, I'm an Australian, so some of the places and locations are lost on me, but the whole setting and mythology surrounding it is really cool so I'd like some recommendations on books so I can learn more around the circumstances surrounding the push west. Fact over fiction too.

Also, any good biographies on David Bowie?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm a huge horror fan, but I've never really gotten into reading horror novels. I mean, aside from a few Stephen Kings and the classics like Frankenstein, Dracula and Lovecraft, et al..

I've got a hankering for some really dark, supernatural stuff. Ghost stories and such. But preferrably in a more modern vein (and by that I mean writing style, not setting). I'm not looking for anything dense, just some good, really creepy, surreal fiction. There must be hundreds of short story collections and the like out there, but I have no idea where to begin if I want something of quality.

I don't mean to say I only want to read short stories, but it seems like the obvious place to start. Or maybe not? Any recommendations?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm a huge horror fan, but I've never really gotten into reading horror novels. I mean, aside from a few Stephen Kings and the classics like Frankenstein, Dracula and Lovecraft, et al..

I've got a hankering for some really dark, supernatural stuff. Ghost stories and such. But preferrably in a more modern vein (and by that I mean writing style, not setting). I'm not looking for anything dense, just some good, really creepy, surreal fiction. There must be hundreds of short story collections and the like out there, but I have no idea where to begin if I want something of quality.

I don't mean to say I only want to read short stories, but it seems like the obvious place to start. Or maybe not? Any recommendations?

Stephen Jones' annual Mammoth Book of Best New Horror collections and/or Ellen Datlow's Best Horror of the Year collections are the best places to start with horror short fiction.

If you want specific authors, I highly recommend Simon Strantzas, Richard Gavin, Laird Barron, and goon-favorite Thomas Ligotti.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Hello everyone I didn't want to make a thread for this so here's a question: Which translation of War and Peace is best I was gonna grab a copy last week but they had like four translations and I got paralyzed by false choices. If anyone knows which translation is generally considered the most reputable please let me know. Thanks.

Snoring
Oct 21, 2008
My favorite book is The Hobbit (don't laugh) and I'm looking for more books where the story focuses on the journey/traveling. I also really like the lighthearted, storybook feel of The Hobbit, but that's not as important. I just finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and I enjoyed it, but it's not exactly what I was looking for. I've hardly read any fantasy, so any suggestions are welcome. Thanks :sax:

e: I'd prefer fantasy, if that wasn't clear.

Snoring fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 3, 2011

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Hello everyone I didn't want to make a thread for this so here's a question: Which translation of War and Peace is best I was gonna grab a copy last week but they had like four translations and I got paralyzed by false choices. If anyone knows which translation is generally considered the most reputable please let me know. Thanks.

The Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky translations are well respected. I haven't read their version of War and Peace, but their Brothers K is great and if I were snagging War and Peace I'd definitely get their translation.

Edit: What's a good history of the French Revolution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

localized
Mar 30, 2008
Alright, so I just finished Iron Coffins, and I am looking for more about the Battle of the Atlantic and the convoys/merchant marine in general. I already own and have read The Cruel Sea, and it is probably my all time favorite novel. I am leaning more towards fiction, as I find straight non fiction to be kind of dull and dry sometimes. Any help would be much appreciated.