Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Timmy Cruise posted:

Has anyone had luck with logging boost via the inlet pressure sensor on Torque? I have not found a PID that works. Car in question is a 2000 A4 1.8T.

As far as I've found you can only get that via OBD2 on the TDIs. No idea what may be exposed via VAG-COM though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Just an update to add to my concern about the Audi. It's actually silver with black interior. Has all its maintenance records. Had the 60,000 service performed on it, at the Audi dealership, which includes the timing (belt/chain?)

It seems like a great great deal. What type of fuel mileage does the 1.8T Auto get? Any other concerns I should have about the car in terms of maintenance or reliability?

I'm looking to get out of my Explorer as I no longer tow my boat/jetskis, and the gas mileage is killing me. The Audi looks beautiful, rides well but I'm always cautious with European cars out of warranty.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I used to get over 30mpg on the highway in my Quattro B5 with APR chip and 3" turboback.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Crazy685 posted:

Just an update to add to my concern about the Audi. It's actually silver with black interior. Has all its maintenance records. Had the 60,000 service performed on it, at the Audi dealership, which includes the timing (belt/chain?)

It seems like a great great deal. What type of fuel mileage does the 1.8T Auto get? Any other concerns I should have about the car in terms of maintenance or reliability?

I'm looking to get out of my Explorer as I no longer tow my boat/jetskis, and the gas mileage is killing me. The Audi looks beautiful, rides well but I'm always cautious with European cars out of warranty.

I used to pull around 28mpg in a 02 GTI with the same 1.8T engine.

Is this the CVT transmission you're talking about?

Edit: Must be, since I think the auto you are referencing that year was only available as a CVT. See this: http://www.audi-forums.com/b6-forum/44168-cvt-transmission-problems.html

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 24, 2011

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Bovine Delight posted:

I used to pull around 28mpg in a 02 GTI with the same 1.8T engine.

Is this the CVT transmission you're talking about?

Edit: Must be, since I think the auto you are referencing that year was only available as a CVT. See this: http://www.audi-forums.com/b6-forum/44168-cvt-transmission-problems.html

If its the CVT run as fast as you can away from that car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

D C posted:

If its the CVT run as fast as you can away from that car.

Absolutely. Run far and run fast.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm planning on buying a new-to-me car in about October, with a probable budget of between $5K and $7K. Early-90's B4s and mid-90's A4s show up around here for about that price range every so often. The BMW thread told me I'd want to slit my wrists, but I thought I'd look for a second opinion biased in the opposite direction.

I'm in the extra-cold part of :canada:, so Quattro is main reason I'm looking at these older Audis. That, and I like the way they look and nobody I know has one so I'd get to feel all special. My driving style is basically boring when in the city or on major highways, because I find those roads boring. So, I tend to wander off onto much worse roads, which in Saskatchewan means gravel - covered by drifting snow and hard-pack ice for 4-5 months of the year. And I like to throw my car around an autocross/rallycross/icecross/potholecross course every so often.

Would, for example, a 1993 Quattro 90 2.8T for $4000 and at 200 000 km just be a big headache, or would I get lots of enjoyment out of such a car? Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I'm planning on buying a new-to-me car in about October, with a probable budget of between $5K and $7K. Early-90's B4s and mid-90's A4s show up around here for about that price range every so often. The BMW thread told me I'd want to slit my wrists, but I thought I'd look for a second opinion biased in the opposite direction.

I'm in the extra-cold part of :canada:, so Quattro is main reason I'm looking at these older Audis. That, and I like the way they look and nobody I know has one so I'd get to feel all special. My driving style is basically boring when in the city or on major highways, because I find those roads boring. So, I tend to wander off onto much worse roads, which in Saskatchewan means gravel - covered by drifting snow and hard-pack ice for 4-5 months of the year. And I like to throw my car around an autocross/rallycross/icecross/potholecross course every so often.

Would, for example, a 1993 Quattro 90 2.8T for $4000 and at 200 000 km just be a big headache, or would I get lots of enjoyment out of such a car? Any other suggestions are also welcome.

I can't speak much for the earlier cars, but I bought my 00 A4 last January with 114Kkms. Since then I had to do the control arms, thermostat, etc. Expect maintenance to be required. Parts seem to be fairly available for me but you may have a different experience. I also do my own work if I can, so if you're willing/able to do that it makes it much more affordable.

The Quattro is why I bought this car. With these it is really quite amazing how much grip is available.

As far as I know, there are only 96+ A4's here and they start around $5K ish.

I know nothing about the older 80's (A4 predecessor). There's one on S'toon Kijiji for $2500 or so right now...

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

ExecuDork posted:

+1 on Timmy Cruise's advice. The fun thing about Volksaudis is that they have very dedicated fanbases, and they can usually answer your weird questions well when you do work yourself. Parts aren't tricky to find; if you can't find the Audi part there's almost always a VW equivalent out there if you find its analogue.

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

D C posted:

I used to get over 30mpg on the highway in my Quattro B5 with APR chip and 3" turboback.

37MPG highway @ 65 with APR stage 1 TSI + intake on California 91. Seriously amazing poo poo.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

japanese woman posted:

37MPG highway @ 65 with APR stage 1 TSI + intake on California 91. Seriously amazing poo poo.

Tank average or just instant fuel economy once you are up to speed?

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

japanese woman posted:

32 city, 4x highway (passat wagon.)

bowling 4 buttcoins
Mar 13, 2011

Bovine Delight posted:

Tank average or just instant fuel economy once you are up to speed?

Averaging about 340 miles a tank in the bay area most recently. I used to get 440 miles a tank driving I-90 140 miles a day back and forth from work without a tune on NY 93 octane gas. For city driving you can't ignore 2k-4.5k rpms :)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

japanese woman posted:

Averaging about 340 miles a tank in the bay area most recently. I used to get 440 miles a tank driving I-90 140 miles a day back and forth from work without a tune on NY 93 octane gas. For city driving you can't ignore 2k-4.5k rpms :)

48mpg tank average, 2.0 CR TDI ;)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Timmy Cruise posted:

I can't speak much for the earlier cars, but I bought my 00 A4 last January with 114Kkms. Since then I had to do the control arms, thermostat, etc. Expect maintenance to be required. Parts seem to be fairly available for me but you may have a different experience. I also do my own work if I can, so if you're willing/able to do that it makes it much more affordable.

The Quattro is why I bought this car. With these it is really quite amazing how much grip is available.

As far as I know, there are only 96+ A4's here and they start around $5K ish.

I know nothing about the older 80's (A4 predecessor). There's one on S'toon Kijiji for $2500 or so right now...
Thanks! Sounds like about what I expected. That so-called 93 A4 for $2500 is one reason I posted in this thread. I'm going to try to stick to my plan of driving my Prelude all summer, and not getting serious about looking for a car until late-September/early-October.

Those are some impressive fuel mileages.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I'm looking for a decent website that sells Audi parts, particularly tail lights and moldings. I've checked out ECS, World Impex and German Auto Parts. I found the moldings, but I'd hoped for more options.

oh dope fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 26, 2011

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
1969 VW bus. I'm missing the post that my rear hatch latches on to. What is the missing part called and where do I get one?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Tailgate latch maybe?
Give Bus Boys a ring http://www.bus-boys.com/ they probably know
Post pics of the whole thing.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Ugh, dammit. I was afraid of that :\ I told them thanks but no thanks, especially after receiving a quote for a 3 year/36k mile warranty @ $4385

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
So, unfortunately my car was totaled a few days ago. I looked around this thread but I didn't see anything: are there any big issues with the 2008-2011 A5?

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

Omerta posted:

So, unfortunately my car was totaled a few days ago. I looked around this thread but I didn't see anything: are there any big issues with the 2008-2011 A5?

get the 3.2 with the manual transmission :)

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I've heard nothing but terrible things about the 2009+ A5 manual.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Crazy685 posted:

Yeah, I found some strong words about it

quote:

A5 six-speed manual transmission is, as TTAC reviewer Jack Baruth put it, “not Audi’s finest hour.” Less diplomatically, it’s crap. A ponderous clutch and a light throw create a major pistonhead buzz-kill. Just for [no] fun, there’s also a dead zone between the gears, which slot home with all the precision of three-year-old’s coloring. It’s virtually impossible to make a smooth one-two shift in the A5, no matter where you are in the rev range. You end up shifting at low rpms just to be done with it. Given the A5 cog swapper’s suckitude, the tiny percentage of Americans who can operate a stick shift, and the fact that Audi has access to the world’s best transmission, Ingolstadt should have fitted all A5s with DSG and called it good. The A5′s manual gearbox is the dynamic definition of not good.

edit:
ok, which one of you goons wrote this?

quote:

“I think carrying around a GIANT sword disqualifies Sephiroth as elegant”

Sephiroth just has this flawless, elegant approach to aggression. Even with the sword – which is long and graceful, unlike Cloud’s obtuse and club like weapon. An Audi should be like that – powerful and elegant. Not mawlike, obnoxious and ugly.

Anyway, straying off topic perhaps.

Oh and check this video gosh it is such an awesome anime if you’ve never seen it you are seriously out of touch
A-ko VS B-ko

Omerta fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 29, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Crazy685 posted:

North America didn't get the DSG either right?

The normal auto is pretty good in my opinion, but the CVT isn't.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
So I'm at a bit of an impasse on this. I'm getting what feels like a misfire at lower RPMS (say 2000-3500 rpm) while at higher throttle and building boost. The car is stock except for an APR chip. Note that I am getting no misfire codes at all, but there is definitely hesitating...

So far VWVortex and other forums have told me that it could be:
- sparkplugs - easy enough, probably could use them anyway.
- coilpacks - I'm uncertain of their age, so could be plausible.
- MAF - I'm not getting a code for running lean, so less likely?

I'm probably going to start with the plugs, but has anyone had a similar issue? I'd rather not throw parts at this...

Edit - car is a 2000 A4 1.8T with the ATW engine...

Timmy Cruise fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 29, 2011

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oof, that review is a bit strong. I've just heard that it's not very fluid from a friend of mine who test drove a 2010 A5, and apparently the dealer said it was a pretty popular opinion.

I loved the 2008 RS4 I drove so who knows

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 29, 2011

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Looking at buying a 2010 GTI anything I should be aware of when looking one. How much off the new price is reasonable for a base model with ~8000 miles

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

jeff8472 posted:

Looking at buying a 2010 GTI anything I should be aware of when looking one. How much off the new price is reasonable for a base model with ~8000 miles

How much off the new price? It's a 2 year old car, you're well into "used" territory for comparison. Also, "base" model can mean various things as well -- does it have the plaid cloth interior? Sunroof? DSG? ipod connection in the armrest? The base model had some pretty significant options that can affect the price.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I have a 2004 GTI VR6 with ~80k miles and noticed a ticking coming from the left side of the engine today, seemingly around the serpentine belt area. The tick increases frequency with RPM. I didn't keep the engine running any longer than a couple minutes so I cannot confirm whether or not the tick goes away when the engine warms. So far, no warning lights have come on. From a google search of GTI noises I do not think this is the direct injection ticking that most people freak out about the first time they hear it.

Any ideas what this could be related to? Is it safe to drive >20 miles to get to a mechanic to have it looked at? The only other forum post I've found that might be related is that I haven't had my oil changed for around 6k miles. Could it be low oil pressure? I was rushing to get to work so I didn't have time to check oil pressure before grabbing a ride with a friend. I plan on checking that first thing when I get off work tonight.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Crazy685 posted:

I loved the 2008 RS4 I drove so who knows

The RS 4 gearbox is a pretty slick-shifting unit.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

meatpimp posted:

How much off the new price? It's a 2 year old car, you're well into "used" territory for comparison. Also, "base" model can mean various things as well -- does it have the plaid cloth interior? Sunroof? DSG? ipod connection in the armrest? The base model had some pretty significant options that can affect the price.

They all have the iPod connection cable. Base model for a 2010 (since packages were introduced in 2011) would mean plaid cloth seats, no HID lights, no Dynaudio, no sunroof, and 17 inch wheels. DSG was a 1K option, but most of the "stripped" GTIs will probably have a manual. A base 2010 is still better equipped than a base 2011 though.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

resident posted:

I have a 2004 GTI VR6 with ~80k miles and noticed a ticking coming from the left side of the engine today, seemingly around the serpentine belt area. The tick increases frequency with RPM. I didn't keep the engine running any longer than a couple minutes so I cannot confirm whether or not the tick goes away when the engine warms. So far, no warning lights have come on. From a google search of GTI noises I do not think this is the direct injection ticking that most people freak out about the first time they hear it.

Any ideas what this could be related to? Is it safe to drive >20 miles to get to a mechanic to have it looked at? The only other forum post I've found that might be related is that I haven't had my oil changed for around 6k miles. Could it be low oil pressure? I was rushing to get to work so I didn't have time to check oil pressure before grabbing a ride with a friend. I plan on checking that first thing when I get off work tonight.

Sounds like a timing belt cricket to me. Has that been replaced, ever?

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
The Airbag MIL came on yesterday and I got an airbag malfunction warning on the MFD. After checking it with VAG-COM, it appears to be the an intermittent short to ground on the driver's side seatbelt switch.

The first time, I cleared the code and the car drove fine for an hour. The next time I started it the warning came back.

Looks like all the wiring under the seat is secure, so should I assume the problem is in the switch/buckle itself? I assume I'll need to get an entire new buckle to replace the switch, right? I've also got to remove the seat to do that. Any special tools I'll need?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

timb posted:

Sounds like a timing belt cricket to me. Has that been replaced, ever?

It doesn't have a timing belt but it could be the serpentine belt tensioner if the bearings are starting to go. Also the power steering pump on mine was ticking right before it blew up, its near the bottom if you want to listen for that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Autism Monday posted:

They all have the iPod connection cable. Base model for a 2010 (since packages were introduced in 2011) would mean plaid cloth seats, no HID lights, no Dynaudio, no sunroof, and 17 inch wheels. DSG was a 1K option, but most of the "stripped" GTIs will probably have a manual. A base 2010 is still better equipped than a base 2011 though.

I assumed '10 was the same as '09, my brother has an '09 base with HID, DSG and the ipod connection (cloth/no sunroof/17"). I think the ipod dealy was optional in '09.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

meatpimp posted:

I'm in Canada, so our base model is a little different. HIDs, dual-zone climate control, RCD510 radio are standard.

The one I'm looking at doesn't have any options except the 18" wheels.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

meatpimp posted:

I assumed '10 was the same as '09, my brother has an '09 base with HID, DSG and the ipod connection (cloth/no sunroof/17"). I think the ipod dealy was optional in '09.

No, VW did a bunch of weird things like making HIDs optional on MKVIs but adding iPod connection to every single one. The 2011s are even more stripped though, the base package for a 2011 GTI doesn't even have a multifunction steering wheel or the touchscreen headunit with SD card support that was standard on 2010s. But all 2011s have 18 inch potato peelers so I guess there's that.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Hi VW goons! I was referred here from the general questions thread.

I might be buying a '98 VW New Beetle with the 2.0 off my good friend. The thing has 100k miles. He was gonna offload it onto me for $1,500, and then reduced it to $1,000. It's a 5-speed. I plan to drive it to two internships this coming winter and spring, and use it as a daily driver. Just need the car to be in good maintenance-shape. He did the whole oil change/3k miles since gaining possession of the car in '05 at 15k miles.

The car has:

New coolant system & fans in '07 (friend bumped loose a coolant hose during an oil change and it caused the radiator to go kaput)
New brake system ("Custom Wire, Spark Plugs, Brake Pads, rear loaded calipers, rear brake rotors, front wagner brake rotors") in '08
Timing belt change a few years ago
"Suspension parts R&R" in '09 <-- not sure what R&R means
Power steering system flushed & pump replaced in '09
Engine Lamp in '10 <-- not sure what this is
New Coil Pack in '10

What are the trouble spots with those Beetles? Anything left that I should check? The check engine light came on recently and my friend suspects the oxygen sensor might've gone out. How much do those tend to cost to replace?

I asked my friend to have the Beetle checked out at a VW dealership for any needful repairs, especially the rust on the underbody and the suspension.

I'm coming to this car from a Honda Accord that was dutifully reliable and was generally cheap for me. I hear that VW dealership prices are atrocious.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 30, 2011

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Looking at doing a heater core on an '02 Jetta for a friend, what would be a reasonable 'driveway' rate to charge them? More importantly, what would shop rate be? I'm seeing book time estimates of 8 hours, watched the how to on Youtube and looking at other guides online and it seems like something I'm willing to tackle for the right price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.

the walkin dude posted:

'98 VW New Beetle
check engine light came on
I'm coming to this car from a Honda Accord that was dutifully reliable and was generally cheap

Late 90s NA VWs are not known for being reliable or cheap, so things may be unpleasant for you. I'd probably avoid this car unless you have a few grand saved up for the inevitable repair bill and follow up problems that the price suggests.