Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hormones
May 9, 2009
After reading this thread, and after a few years of considering a cup, I think I'm finally going to purchase a soft MeLuna!

I was just looking at the website, however, and wondered what you all thought about stem vs. ball vs. ring? ( http://meluna.eu/monatshygiene/menstruationsbecher/melunasoft.html )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Personally, I prefer the ring or stem since they're easier to grab onto. However, some people like to cut them off. Never tried a ball one though. Seems kind of awkward for my taste.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

The ball stem seemed like an awesome idea to me, but I ended up not liking it. There's no grip on it, so my fingers just slid right off. Traditional stems are...well, traditional, and work well enough. The ring was super comfortable, but my ring was on a medium MeLuna that liked to migrate way up to my cervix so it was much harder to reach than a longer traditional stem. Much as I love cups, I don't like having to dig around to find them for removal...Maybe a large MeLuna with a ring would have worked better for me!

Hormones
May 9, 2009
I'm thinking ring. The ball seems rather pointless and the stem weirds me out a little.

Figuring out sizing is the next nerve-wracking step :|

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I got a basic since I have a low cervix and didn't want any appendages on there that would add length. If I hadn't been concerned about length, though, I'd have probably gone with a ball since they kind of look cool. Or maybe a ring. I guess you could at least snip off the ring if you decide you don't like it.

Tea In A Shoe
Feb 1, 2009
I have the ball one and I never felt uncomfortable with it. It helps me grab the cup, and I was weirded out by the stems. I'd hate to have a stem poking my bits while I ride my bike but my cup has been awesome.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Tea In A Shoe posted:

I have the ball one and I never felt uncomfortable with it. It helps me grab the cup, and I was weirded out by the stems. I'd hate to have a stem poking my bits while I ride my bike but my cup has been awesome.

I can't see how a stem would "poke your bits". It's as soft and flexible as the rest of the cup.

Die Schafe
Jul 4, 2007
Yup.

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

I can't see how a stem would "poke your bits". It's as soft and flexible as the rest of the cup.

It's hard to explain, but the end of the stem can certainly poke your bits. That's why I cut mine all the way off. That said, cutting off the stem isn't a problem and fixes the poking completely, but it does make it slightly harder to remove the cup. If I were buying a second, I'd strongly consider a MeLuna with the ball or ring.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Die Schafe posted:

It's hard to explain, but the end of the stem can certainly poke your bits. That's why I cut mine all the way off. That said, cutting off the stem isn't a problem and fixes the poking completely, but it does make it slightly harder to remove the cup. If I were buying a second, I'd strongly consider a MeLuna with the ball or ring.

Must be a cervix position thing. I've gone horseback riding several times with my Lunette and never felt the slightest poke from the stem.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
I got the Meluna with the ring because it was the only one my supplier had in glittery white. Ring seems fine, though I secretly wanted the ball.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

slinkimalinki posted:

I got the Meluna with the ring because it was the only one my supplier had in glittery white. Ring seems fine, though I secretly wanted the ball.

They need to make them with two balls. Truck nuts for your cooch!

Kidding, kidding. Put the pitchforks away.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

They need to make them with two balls. Truck nuts for your cooch!

Kidding, kidding. Put the pitchforks away.

I'd buy one (if it sparkled :3:)

Hormones
May 9, 2009
I feel like the ball looks the nicest and seems most practically but I've heard it's the most difficult to grab to remove. Hmm. I think it'll be a ring for me.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Dr. Housecat MD posted:

Must be a cervix position thing. I've gone horseback riding several times with my Lunette and never felt the slightest poke from the stem.

It's not exactly what you think. I have a very short vagina and so with my diva cup when I cut my stem and it wasn't short enough and I sat down it would stab the skin at/around the opening and just generally be uncomfortable. I cut the stem to nothing and smoothed it out and its fine. It would only happen when the cup was sitting really low from being full.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
After reading this thread for six months, I finally ordered a Divacup. Not really sure if it unfolded, I almost lost it during insertion. :( Eased it out a bit so I could twist it and it doesn't feel any different. Definitely going to trim the stem though, kind of annoying. This is so much better than pads and tampons though!

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
I'm in the low cervix club, too. That stabbing of the stem was the most annoyingly painful thing ever. Every time I sat down or walked, it would stab all around my vaginal opening/inner lips. Even trimming the stem on the diva cup didn't help my awkwardly shaped inner workings. That's the reason I turned mine inside out in the first place. I didn't even know turning it inside out was a thing people did at the time. Inside out, it has a nice, blunt, squared off end rather than pokey bits. Plus it fits better and fixed my leaking problems I had my first run.

Every so often I poke (HAHA!) in here just to let any newcomers know that turning a diva cup inside out may help turn a $40 hunk of garbage into the awesomeness that everyone else seems to have!

I love my diva so much. I've had it for about a year now and it really has changed my life. I wish more women I knew were more receptive to the idea. I love converting people!

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

ThreeFish posted:

I'm in the low cervix club, too. That stabbing of the stem was the most annoyingly painful thing ever. Every time I sat down or walked, it would stab all around my vaginal opening/inner lips. Even trimming the stem on the diva cup didn't help my awkwardly shaped inner workings. That's the reason I turned mine inside out in the first place. I didn't even know turning it inside out was a thing people did at the time. Inside out, it has a nice, blunt, squared off end rather than pokey bits. Plus it fits better and fixed my leaking problems I had my first run.

Every so often I poke (HAHA!) in here just to let any newcomers know that turning a diva cup inside out may help turn a $40 hunk of garbage into the awesomeness that everyone else seems to have!

I love my diva so much. I've had it for about a year now and it really has changed my life. I wish more women I knew were more receptive to the idea. I love converting people!

Just a couple of hours ago, I found myself proselytizing the doctor I'm working with, who often has "girl parts" complaints. She already uses the ring, no reason she shouldn't be enjoying the cup as well.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

I cut the stem off mine completely with a pair of scissors.
How does the ring work? I have to sqeeze my cup to remove it, otherwise it pulls on my cervix and hurts like a bitch. Surely you don't just yank on the ring and pull it out?

Tea In A Shoe
Feb 1, 2009
I use the ring too, and at first it felt sort of weird to stuff so many things in my vag like that. They have never hurt me though, and it's been maximum two days that I've had to use the cup with the ring. So yes, I just pull the Nuvaring out when I need to. It's flexible enough to not hurt me at all.

Edit: oh you meant the MeLuna with a ring? I squeeze my cup to break the seal, and I don't think it's even possible to remove a cup without doing so.

Tea In A Shoe fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 1, 2011

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

JonBent0000 posted:

I cut the stem off mine completely with a pair of scissors.
How does the ring work? I have to sqeeze my cup to remove it, otherwise it pulls on my cervix and hurts like a bitch. Surely you don't just yank on the ring and pull it out?

Well, you yank on it just a little bit to get the thing within squeezing reach.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

So I got my Divacup today, finally. I am definitely seeing why you guys say there is a learning cure though. I am having a hard time getting it in all the way. Now, my gyno told me that my cervix points straight down instead of however they normally point. Also I think my vagina may be on the short side. I tried flipping it inside out, but when I tried to push it in, the bottom kind of pushed through, so that it wasn't fully inside out. I tried to c-fold (too big to get in) and the 7-fold didn't really work either. I ended up using the punch-down fold (i thought i was doing the oragami, durr) but I don't think I got it all the way in. I can still feel it. When I took it out and reinserted, It had already started collecting so I guess I got a good seal! :haw: also the stem on mine isn't as long as the pictures which is kinda weird.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Yup, that sounds a lot like my early insertions. Just keep trying; for me, by the end of the first day, I pretty much had figured out how to get it in and get it opened, and then by my next period, it was really quite easy to get it to work.

Slip Slap
Jun 30, 2011

Delicious
All right, how have I never heard of these? They make so much sense. My initial reaction was blerch but reading most of this thread sold me.

I don't think I've ever come into contact with my cervix - how does one know if they have a high or low one? Does the cup only work if it's touching the cervix? I don't quite follow the whole measuring thing. I've had tampons get so high I have to use tweezers to get the string so I'm a bit nervous about being able to reach the cup to get it out. I have no qualms about reaching around up there though. So if it is indeed high, I'm thinking maybe the ring one would be good...

Wow, I'm excited now, I have to admit. I agree 100% with the whole 'no more disturbing bathroom garbage can' thing. Husband won't use that bathroom when I'm on my period!

beckyogg
Jul 12, 2006

My lungs don't work. Now it's time to sing!
I went ahead and just reached up on in there to figure out where my cervix was. The cup shouldn't be touching the cervix, but just kind of nestled in the vagina below the cervix so it can catch all the blood. When mine migrates upwards, I just use my pelvic muscles to squeeze it back down within easier reach.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The cup doesn't have to be right up against the cervix, though it might end up that way whether you like it or not if you have a low cervix. If you're losing tampons up in there, though, I don't think you'll have that problem. ;) Diva Cups are the longest brand and the easiest to get your hands on if you're in America (and Canada too, I think). MeLunas (which is the brand with the ring on it) are one of the shorter brands. So if you're worried that the cup might migrate up where you can't get your fingers on it, you might want to consider the longer brand.

Edit: When I was first considering buying a cup I had no idea where my cervix was. I followed the directions for "measuring" on the LJ forum and felt around in there, but I really didn't know what I was looking for, and didn't feel anything I could identify, so I figured it must be out of reach. Now that I've been using the cup for a year or two I know exactly where my cervix is, and I can definitely touch it with my finger depending on what time of my period I'm on. One thing you can say for menstrual cups is you get very familiar with your plumbing.

evelynevvie posted:

So I got my Divacup today, finally. I am definitely seeing why you guys say there is a learning cure though. I am having a hard time getting it in all the way. Now, my gyno told me that my cervix points straight down instead of however they normally point. Also I think my vagina may be on the short side. I tried flipping it inside out, but when I tried to push it in, the bottom kind of pushed through, so that it wasn't fully inside out. I tried to c-fold (too big to get in) and the 7-fold didn't really work either. I ended up using the punch-down fold (i thought i was doing the oragami, durr) but I don't think I got it all the way in. I can still feel it. When I took it out and reinserted, It had already started collecting so I guess I got a good seal! :haw: also the stem on mine isn't as long as the pictures which is kinda weird.

Inside-out cups do try to get away from you! Keep trying, though. As you get used to it, you'll bet better at grabbing that little bugger, and even at pushing it in despite the telescoping thing.

Also, if you haven't tried putting it in the right-side-out, give it a shot. It might fit fine! And you'll know if it doesn't because you'll feel it poking you and you'll hate it! :)

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 3, 2011

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

Yeah I tried it both ways. I'm gonna try again in the shower later. I had just gotten home from a long day of work and was really tired with sore feet so I gae up after I while. Thanks Ladies, I feel better! :)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Hah so my fiancee is apparently spreading the diva cup word with out me. He was on a business trip showing some interns around his companies warehouse and his flight home got canceled. One of the female interns did the "Could we go to a drug store... I wasn't thinking we would be here this long" and my fiancee was being the nice understanding guy and said "sure we can grab a cab because I needed some things from there too" All the other males looked retarded and couldn't figure it out. She apparently told him thanks sooo much because it was so awkward and she needed tampons and he said "Oh my fiancee used to use tampons but now she uses a diva cup, its alot better for traveling and she can keep it with her if she starts early!"

It was a cute story.

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009
I think I might be doing it wrong! My last mooncup experience ended with it getting suctioned into me so hard I couldn't release it without some painful tugging (and pinching and twisting and hooking my finger under the rim). It sounded like a slidewhistle when it finally let go of me, haha. I figured I had just put it in wrong and I'd try again next period.

I've just inserted it pre-emptively but I wasn't sure it unfurled. I thought I'd take it out and try again but it's all suctioned onto me again and I just can't get it out. I figure it's in fine if it won't budge so I'll leave it for a while and try again later. I am panicking a little, though. It was a horrible experience last time and I wanted it to be a fluke so bad :(

At least, I think its suction. The first couple of times I took it out, I could pinch it and I could tell the seal had broken and it wasn't a big deal to remove. Now, nothing happens when I pinch it and if I tug I get a horrible uncomfortable sensation.

Zvezda fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jul 4, 2011

Hiilai
Jun 13, 2009
If it hurts when you tug it, stop. The seal hasn't broken and it will hurt a lot if you just try to brute-force it out.

Here's what you do:

First of all, you have to relax. If you start to panic all your muscles will get tense and you won't be able to get anything out of down there. Just relax for a while and try to forget about it. A lot of people have trouble in the beginning, but trust me, you'll learn.

Now get into a comfortable position where you can easily "operate". To me it's just sitting on a toilet, but you may want to try squatting down or standing up while resting one of your legs on something like the edge of a bathtub.

Reach up there (short fingernails help, yeouch) and try to get as close to the rim as possible. If you have trouble reaching, try to squat, because squatting brings the cup closer to the opening. Now try to pinch the cup from as high as you can, twist a little and the seal should break. You've succeeded if pulling it gently doesn't hurt you anymore. Remember to breathe!

After using the cup for a while you'll learn how to remove it quickly and effortlessly. It just takes some practice but in the end, everyone will develop their own way of dealing with the cup.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
You say you used it a few times with no problems but now it's oversuctioning? I suggest that after you do get it out, make sure the little holes up at the top are clear - sounds like you've lost venting.

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009
Thank you!!

I got it out as soon as I got home from work, thank god. It took a while but I got the seal broken and then it was plain sailing.

I sat around all day thinking the small cramps I was feeling was from the mooncup - turns out, I had started my period. The first day is always absolute agony for me - miserable, trembling, crampy, ibuprofen guzzling agony. But this was nothing in comparison!

Fionnoula: I did check those holes - they looked totally clear. Most of them weren't when I got it out, though, but I'm not sure what I can do about that!

I'll keep at it :) thanks for helping me not freak out

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

Ok ladies, I need some help.

I'm currently sitting here after my 3rd insertion attempt. I can totally feel the cup and it's making me cramp but I think I have figured out what the problem is. My Diva cup is very stiff, and it's hard for me to keep it folded while I insert it. I've tried a variety of positions and I have found that sitting on the side of the tub is easiest. However, the cup keeps popping open before it's fully inserted, so I get a super tight seal and then I can only push it so far. It's definitely collecting my flow but it's painful and not all the way in. Small vagina or not, I should be able to get it in deeper. I can barely get it just past my pubic bone before it pops open and I can't push it in any deeper. I try but with the seal it won't budge.

I've tried a variety of folds, but I really need it to be as small as possible so it doesn't hurt going in. I haven't had much sex at all, and it's been a while since the last time so I know that makes it more difficult. If I could get the origami fold to stay folded I think that would be best but I'm having difficulty with the folding part. I really want this to work! It would make my life so much better. :(

Does anyone have any advice to get past this difficulty? Will my cup get more pliable with time?

ETA: are there any folds that might help get it small enough to go in, and not pop open immediately?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Boil it, it will soften up the silicone.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

evelynevvie posted:

ETA: are there any folds that might help get it small enough to go in, and not pop open immediately?

The punchdown fold is what I started with.

Pictures here: http://menstrual-cups.livejournal.com/453392.html

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

Fire In The Disco posted:

Boil it, it will soften up the silicone.

That easy huh? :doh: How long should I boil it? Thanks for the advice!

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

spatula posted:

The punchdown fold is what I started with.

Pictures here: http://menstrual-cups.livejournal.com/453392.html

Yeah that's basically what I've been doing. It's just hard to hold the fold until I'm all the way in with it.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

evelynevvie posted:

That easy huh? :doh: How long should I boil it? Thanks for the advice!

According to the DivaCup FAQ, boiling it for 5-10 minutes sanitizes it after your cycle is complete, so that's probably what I would do. Alternatively, you can do what I do and put it through your dishwasher if it has a sanitize cycle.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

Great, thanks! I appreciate the help my my ham-fisted vagina.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

Ugh. Boiling it didn't help. I tried again to insert it and it popped open when I barely had it in and now I am REALLY hurting. I am about to give up, I just can't seem to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Maybe get something like a small, soft Meluna? How heavy are your periods?

• Locked thread