Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Zogo, you've had Finding Nemo on your list for awhile now so watch that. It's enjoyable regardless of age.

Labyrinth not so much. It was cute and watchable but I was right and it really had to be a part of your childhood. It's a kids movie so it moved fast, and Henson and his entire crew did a fantastic job creating the world and the puppetry. The early CGI and green screen really hammed it up though. Also David Bowie's junk.

#65 The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Promised a friend I'd watch this eventually. This is the first one in the series, right?

#66 The Conversation - This is supposed to be right after Apocalypse Now and The Godfather for Coppola's best so let's have at it.

#68 Metropolis - Probably about time I watch this.

#69 Man On Wire - Been meaning to watch this for a good while.

#71 The 39 Steps - I have a good amount of Hitchcock to start making up for.

#72 I Am Cuba - I've taken up a recent interest in the Cuban revolution and this seems like an excellent primary source to learn from. Also sounds cool in general.

#73 Django - I need to watch a spaghetti western that's not directed by Leone.

#74 A Hard Day's Night - I do like The Beatles, and this is actually supposed to be really good.

#75 Double Indemnity - Trying to get through some essentials.

#76 The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover - This seems like it's up my alley.

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth, The Wild Bunch, The Warriors, Chinatown, Dr. Strangelove, American History X, Barton Fink, Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, The Maltese Falcon, Annie Hall, Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Casablanca, M, Seven Samurai, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Godfather, The Seventh Seal, Mulholland Drive, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Silence Of The Lambs, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Wild Strawberries, High Fidelity, Goldfinger, The Bicycle Thief, The Thing, Bonnie And Clyde, There Will Be Blood, 8½, Spirited Away, The Big Sleep, A Fish Called Wanda, The Man Who Wasn't There, 12 Angry Men, The Elephant Man, Once Upon A Time In The West, Moon, The 400 Blows, Rosemary's Baby, City Of God, Dog Day Afternoon, Breathless, Saving Private Ryan, Network, Persona, Mean Streets, Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, The Rules Of The Game, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Killing, Punch-Drunk Love, Rebecca, La Strada, Bowling For Columbine, The Virgin Spring, Wild At Heart, Mad Max, Enter The Dragon, Aliens, Man Bites Dog, The Magnificent Seven, Peeping Tom, Labyrinth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TrixRabbi I Am Cuba isn't really a primary source for anything other than a book about fantastic cinematography, but it has that in spades and is very cool.

Necc0 posted:

Nah I mean making multiple posts not only in the thread but on the same page. Seems to be against against the 'spirit' of the thread but whatever. Indiana Jones it is!
As long as you watch the movie assigned then it's all good. Otherwise this thread would move even slower than it already does. The 'spirit' of the thread is to watch great movies you haven't seen and that's best achieved by watching them as soon as you can and getting another recommendation.

The Warriors was a little cheesy, but not as much as I expected. The silliest part was the comic book transitions, and I understand those weren't there originally. Otherwise it's a slightly cleaned up but still rather rough gang movie with pretty good pacing solid acting and some strong moments.

Updated list:

The Last Command Another silent I need to get around to.

Riget Time to add another miniseries I haven't seen. All I know is it's made by Lars von Trier.

Possession Not sure why I have this on my need to see list actually. Maybe someone here recommended it? Seems like it could be brilliant or terrible.

The Wind Will Carry Us The last Kiarostami movie I saw, Ten, really soured me on the guy, but considering I've liked his other features there's no reason not to give this a shot.

Être et avoir Documentary about teaching little kids or something. Apparently it's really good.

The Year of Living Dangerously Peter Weir, Mel Gibson early 80s. That's the extent of my knowledge.

Traffic It's clear I'm not going to watch this without being pushed to do so despite having the Criterion DVD for years.

Punishment Park It seems to be a pretty divisive film and I'm curious about it.

Perceval le Gallois Rohmer may be my favourite director. I've seen everything else pre-1998, but King Arthur adaptations don't have a good track record with me.

Seven Beauties Never seen a Lina Wertmüller, this one seems to be the most highly regarded, though if anyone think I should watch Love and Anarchy or The Seduction of Mimi instead I'm fine with that.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10 , Lagaan 8.5/10 , The Warriors 8/10

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I never thought Finding Nemo was that great- it looked great, but the story was so conventional. Labyrinth is similar, but I really liked it, and only first saw it last year. It was goofy, but tons of fun. I most liked it because it relied on practical effects, which you don't see much of these days. If it were made today, you know everything would be done with CGI, but if at all possible I prefer real effects.

Anyway, now that summer's here and I'm... well, unemployed... I've got a good bit of free time and am working my way through a lot of movies and TV shows. I have no recommendation for the person above me, as I've never seen any of those, but I might as well throw my hat into the ring. There are tons of movies where people say "you've never seen that?" but I'll try to limit it to ten.

1. The Godfather - Any of them. I like including this one because I like explaining why I've never seen it. We actually watched the first one in my drama class in high school, but I was so tired I fell asleep and missed almost the entire movie. The sad thing is that the reason I was so tired was because the night before I went to a midnight showing of The Phantom Menace. Yeah, I don't think that was a good tradeoff.

While we're on the subject of crime movies:

2. Goodfellas - Just never came up. I know Joe Pesci yells about not being funny for a while, and I remember the Animaniacs parodies, but that's really all I know. But I liked Gangs of New York and Raging Bull, so I have confidence in Scorsese.

Speaking of De Niro:

3. Taxi Driver - Most of these I don't have a good reason for. This is another one of those movies everyone can quote, so I think I should see it, but it's just never come up.

4. Blade Runner - Now this is really shameful. I'm a big sci-fi fan, and I like Harrison Ford, so it's bad already. But what really makes it inexcusable is that I bought it a couple years ago, and it's still sitting on the shelf in shrink wrap.

5. 2001: A Space Odyssey - More sci-fi that everyone but me has seen. I think my dad has a copy, so that would make it easier. I think I already know most of the plot, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it. If I'm given this one, I promise to try my best not to make too many Portal jokes.

6. Anything by Kurosawa - Seems to me like you have to go out of your way to see foreign films. I don't know anyone who owns these, and no one's ever personally suggested one to me. I like Japanese culture and history (I once wrote a whole story set in 16th century Japan), so I feel I should see some of these, and not just more anime. Rashomon sounds interesting, but I'll take the recommendation of the thread.

7. Pulp Fiction - For that matter, anything by Tarantino except for Inglourious Basterds. Pulp Fiction, however, is that only one I've gotten the "you've never seen?" treatment over. I know Jackson quotes the Bible and Walken shoves a watch up his rear end, and there's a suitcase full of macguffins that they're fighting over, but I'm most interested in this because of the clever dialogue that Tarantino writes. Both this and Reservoir Dogs are on my instant queue, so just say the word.

8. Chinatown - I didn't realize this was a must-see, but so many people upthread have included it that I figure I must be missing something. I really like Rosemary's Baby, and I'm willing to overlook the fact that the director is a rapist and judge the film on its own merits (of course, by the same token, his personal behavior should be judged on its own merits and not because of what films he's made, but that's a whole other conversation).

9. The Aviator - More from that Scorsese clown. This one isn't as much a must see as some of the others, but it's added shame because it's another one that I own but haven't seen (there's probably another five movies like that, but most of them are more obscure). I bought it for three bucks about four years ago when a local video store went out of business and I've never taken it out of the box.

10. Casablanca - Well, at least I’ve seen Citizen Kane, but AFI’s number 2 has escaped my notice. I can’t believe I didn’t think of this one right away- I was sitting here for a couple minutes trying to think of a number 10 to round out the list.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The Warriors was a little cheesy, but not as much as I expected. The silliest part was the comic book transitions, and I understand those weren't there originally. Otherwise it's a slightly cleaned up but still rather rough gang movie with pretty good pacing solid acting and some strong moments.
If you get the chance, Streets of Fire is also by Walter Hill and it's stylistically very similar. It's not as good as The Warriors and 80s as hell, but it feels like it takes place in the same world, so it's a great companion piece. I just watched it for the first time a few days ago and I enjoyed it. It's really bare-bones, but worth seeing once.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Jurgan posted:

I have no recommendation for the person above me, as I've never seen any of those, but I might as well throw my hat into the ring. There are tons of movies where people say "you've never seen that?" but I'll try to limit it to ten.

I'm glad you've come into this thread full force, but you have to pick a movie for Peaceful Anarchy. It doesn't matter if you haven't seen any of them, just pick the one with the coolest name or whatever other reasoning you come up with. Maybe write them all down and throw darts, that could be fun!

Also, PA, try tracking down the non-Director's Cut version of The Warriors. It doesn't have the comic transitions and is fairly stronger. In my opinion, the director's cut is fine but the original cut is much better.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

I'm glad you've come into this thread full force, but you have to pick a movie for Peaceful Anarchy. It doesn't matter if you haven't seen any of them, just pick the one with the coolest name or whatever other reasoning you come up with. Maybe write them all down and throw darts, that could be fun!

Also, PA, try tracking down the non-Director's Cut version of The Warriors. It doesn't have the comic transitions and is fairly stronger. In my opinion, the director's cut is fine but the original cut is much better.

All right, go with Etre et Avoir. I'm a teacher, so I'm interested in movies about education, therefore I choose to expose you to it as well. At first I was confused that a French documentary starred a rather tedious Mexican-American comedian, but then I saw the star was Georges Lopez- that one "s" makes all the difference.

(My second choice would have been Last Command, just because it shares a name with one of the best Star Wars EU books, but fortunately I found a more substantive reason.)

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Swear to god, I'm the only one who liked the comic book transitions in The Warriors.

Jurgan posted:

1. The Godfather - Any of them. I like including this one because I like explaining why I've never seen it. We actually watched the first one in my drama class in high school, but I was so tired I fell asleep and missed almost the entire movie. The sad thing is that the reason I was so tired was because the night before I went to a midnight showing of The Phantom Menace. Yeah, I don't think that was a good tradeoff.
This is hilarious and you need to rectify it as soon as possible. It's a really good film, I could watch it on repeat forever :allears:

I watched Chinatown and liked it a lot. The central mystery was very engaging, and Jack Nicholson certainly made me remember what a good actor he is. There were several little touches that I loved, like Jake in Mr Yelburton's office, humming the the tune heard in the restaurant in the previous scene. It was the first Polanski film I've enjoyed watching (having watched Repulsion and Rosemary's Baby previously), and if someone could throw out a recommendation as to which of his movies I should watch next, I'd be very grateful.

1. Trafic - I've seen Mr Hulot's Holiday and Playtime, but never this. My grandma's a big fan, so I really should.

2. Persona - I saw this once when I was 14-15, but I can't remember anything other than that I really disliked it. Would like to give it another chance.

3. Chinatown - Tried to watch it once, liked it but got distracted.
Mccabe & Mrs Miller - I think I saw someone raving about it in this thread, otherwise I know nothing about it.

4. City of God - Don't know why I haven't already, the premise sounds really interesting and I've heard only good things about it.

5. The Departed - I caught a few minutes of this on tv and it just didn't seem like my cup of tea. The only Scorsese I've seen is Taxi Driver and Goodfellas.

6. North by Northwest - I've seen a couple of Hitchcock movies, but never this.

7. Punch Drunk Love - This and Hard Eight are the only P T Anderson movies I haven't seen.

8. Modern Times - I loved The Great Dictator, so I don't know why I haven't seen more of Chaplin's full-length movies. Feel free to recommend City Lights if you like that one better.

9. Easy Rider - This just seems like such a cool movie.

10. A Streetcar Named Desire - I started watching this once, but halfway through I managed to slice my palm open with a fruit knife and had to leave to get stitches. Now I just associate it with bad memories.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

marioinblack posted:

Don't have to be a Sci-Fi fan to enjoy this. It transcends the genre limitations. Directors or Final Cut is generally recommended.

Yojimbo oozed Leone through and through. I had to look it up afterwards because I knew there had to be a tie there. This is basically the movie that sets up Leone's universe. The film itself was a bit slow for my taste until the 3rd act where it was very well done. I'll rate it high on that alone because it really became enjoyable during that entire sequence.

I also watched How to Train Your Dragon. Fun little adventure ride there. Not quite Pixar quality stuff, but still a very solid overall movie. The movie just felt good everywhere but not great anywhere.

New List:

1. This is Spinal Tap - Looks like a movie I would love.

2. To Kill a Mockingbird - I've seen a few bits but never the entire thing.

3. Sin City - I need something to fill my action slot, and I've always watched the action movies that I've really wanted to see. I've heard good things about this though.

4. Slumdog Millionaire - Most recent best picture movie I haven't seen. I have heard great things about this movie.

5. Rebecca - Hitchcock's best picture film. Like most everything else that's not recent on this list, I'm going in blind.

6. A Streetcar Named Desire - More Brando I haven't seen.

7. Stand by Me - Seems to be liked by everyone I know. What I know is that it's supposed to be a Goonies-esque coming of age type of adventure movie.

8. City Lights - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen and a nice reappearance of Chaplin.

9. Wild Strawberries - Have never seen a Bergman film (I know, I know).

10. Rashomon - Another Kurosawa classic.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10, Harvey 6/10, Nikita 5.5/10, Yojimbo 8/10, How to Train Your Dragon 7.5/10

Am I going crazy or was Marionblack completely skipped with picking? Admiral Goodenough posted right after him and didn't pick anything and no one seemed to notice....

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

marioinblack posted:

Better late than never!

"Admiral Goodenough posted:

6. North by Northwest - I've seen a couple of Hitchcock movies, but never this.

It's quite silly but very fun movie.

La Règle du Jeu was a somewhat disappointment. I liked the cinematography and how the camera moved, but I was just bored by everything else. I really liked La Grand Illusion but I didn't find this one very interesting.

My Shame List:

Serpico The other Lumet-Pacino collaboration.

Stray Dog More Kurosawa Noir.

Cape Fear I did not care much for the Scorsese remake. Hoping this will be better.

Rebecca Hitchcock's only Best Picture win.

Through a Glass Darkly The first of the Chamber Trilogy.(Or whatever you call it)

Brief Encounter Pre-Epic Lean.

Bonnie and Clyde Been avoiding watching this for some reason.

Shane One of the Classic Westerns.

Fantasia I remember skipping this movie as a child cause it was only musics and no story. The shame...

Grizzly Man Not sure about this one.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Electronico6 posted:

Serpico The other Lumet-Pacino collaboration.

Tops from Pacino/Lumet for sure. I saw this for the first time in the 10th grade many moons ago and it remains one of my favourite cop stories.

The Lives of Others is very well put together, has a great score and a fairly uplifting finish (though the rest is so bleak, it's hardly a pleasant movie). And maybe Wiesler is supposed to be emotionally neutered (the scene with the prostitute an interesting way to show that) but his motivations don't seem to...exist. Well I suppose seeing how power is abused by imbeciles simply looking out for their own corrupt lifestyles and becoming frustrated and subsequently enamoured with the writer and his lover.

Good movie but stilted and failed to generate much of an emotional connection.

List o' Shame:

1)Cars - Only Pixar movie I have yet to see.

2) The Last Picture Show - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

3) Brand Upon the Brain - Might as well give Guy Maddin a go.

4) Black Narcissus – I have never seen a Powell/Pressburger joint.

5) The Killing of a Chinese Bookie - I've only seen Faces by Cassavetes and I wasn't impressed so I've been putting off a second chance. I imagine I'd like Faces more now, I think I was 18 when I saw it.

6)127 Hours – Only BP nominee from this past year I haven’t seen.

7)Double Indemnity – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

8) Salo - I'm scared.

9)The Company of Wolves - My mistake, my friend actually lent me this though we were talking about Haneke...

10) In the Bedroom - I've owned it for years and just keep forgetting I have it.

Shame be gone: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others

Ratedargh fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 27, 2011

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Lawrence Of Arabia surprised me. I think I'm kind of used to expecting naivete from earlier blockbusters but here there was a fairly intense and disturbing depiction of a crumbling psyche. Lawrence is never treated as an outright hero. It's easy to fall in love with his quirky gallance in the early scenes, but the film banks on this for Lawrence's eventual moral and mental disintegration, and his ultimate defeat. To be frank I can't say I understood very well the politics of the film, it was all very alien (I wonder how much Frank Herbert's Dune was inspired by it) and sometimes confusing, but I'm kind of dumb when it comes to foreign politics. The only real slow spot in an otherwise gripping four hours was Lawrence's brief retreat to England, which feels like a dramatic cul-de-sac, but since it's a biographical film I suppose they handled it pretty well. It's simply overshadowed by the pre-intermission sequence in which Lawrence awkwardly stumbles back into the British society, which suddenly seems totally absurd.

8.5/10

SHAAAAAAME

1) Howards End - I'm going to watch every Criterion Blu-Ray, dammit, no matter how boring they look.

2) Badlands - I like what I've seen of Malick so far.

3) All About Eve - Well, Netflix doesn't have the Blu-Ray, but it's next on TSPDT and I've heard good things.

4) Secret Honor - I love Robert Altman and I love Richard Nixon (as a subject), and I've heard endless good things about this.

5) Viridiana - Next on the TSPDT list. I've only seen two Buñuels, one I was too dumb to appreciate at the time and the other I loved.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Bringing Up Baby - My film professor told me to watch this once and I didn't for some reason. Apparently it has Cary Grant and a baby tiger?

9) Dial M For Murder - Well, heck, let's make this the Hitchcock spot.

10) Winter Light - Part two of a not-really Bergman trilogy.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10, Lawrence Of Arabia 8.5/10 (total: 34)

Ratedargh, you should be scared. Salò!

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Lawrence Of Arabia surprised me. I think I'm kind of used to expecting naivete from earlier blockbusters but here there was a fairly intense and disturbing depiction of a crumbling psyche. Lawrence is never treated as an outright hero. It's easy to fall in love with his quirky gallance in the early scenes, but the film banks on this for Lawrence's eventual moral and mental disintegration, and his ultimate defeat. To be frank I can't say I understood very well the politics of the film, it was all very alien (I wonder how much Frank Herbert's Dune was inspired by it) and sometimes confusing, but I'm kind of dumb when it comes to foreign politics. The only real slow spot in an otherwise gripping four hours was Lawrence's brief retreat to England, which feels like a dramatic cul-de-sac, but since it's a biographical film I suppose they handled it pretty well. It's simply overshadowed by the pre-intermission sequence in which Lawrence awkwardly stumbles back into the British society, which suddenly seems totally absurd.

8.5/10

Wait. What England scenes? There's only the opening scene.

As for foreign policy of the Arabic states is quite easy to grasp.

It's WW1 and Britain is fighting the Ottoman Empire(The Turks), one of the people repressed by the turks are the Arabs. The British are using the Arab tribes to fight their battles. It's really about Imperialism and Colonialism. Lawrence doesn't like the notion that his country is using a "naive" people(At least on the eyes of the Glorious British Empire) and acting as superior, so he pushes Faisal and Co. to strive for an independent Arabia. The brilliant part of the movie(and Lawrence himself) is that Lawrence in the end ends up feeling superior to his fellow Arabs and he himself ends up as a tool to both the British and Faisal. A tool that in the end is discarded without care. He became everything he was against.

In short: Big Empire is exploiting tribes to do their dirty work.

As for Dune, you are right. Paul Muad'Dib is based on T.E. Lawrence. The "Nothing is written" is very similar in tone to the foresight of Paul and his will to change destiny. Both men end up falling cause they tried to cheat fate.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 27, 2011

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I meant back to English society. I get the overall politics but a lot of the details totally escape me so I just kind of held on through the "huh?" stuff and tried not to get caught up on putting together pieces of history that were glossed over in high school (you're talking to the guy who saw Apollo 13 thinking they crashed on the far side of the moon). Lawrence Of Arabia was a weird film to see blind because I wasn't expecting him to fail and fall apart like he did, though that made it all the more intriguing and disturbing (I'm never sure whether to read up on the history behind historical films before I see them, and I usually don't out of laziness).

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I meant back to English society. I get the overall politics but a lot of the details totally escape me so I just kind of held on through the "huh?" stuff and tried not to get caught up on putting together pieces of history that were glossed over in high school (you're talking to the guy who saw Apollo 13 thinking they crashed on the far side of the moon). Lawrence Of Arabia was a weird film to see blind because I wasn't expecting him to fail and fall apart like he did, though that made it all the more intriguing and disturbing (I'm never sure whether to read up on the history behind historical films before I see them, and I usually don't out of laziness).

Ah those scenes. They were important and very different from the Act I scenes. Both moments play each other off quite well.

When he returns to Cairo in Act I, he comes back triumphant. When he goes back to the desert he goes believing his some kind of Superman.
In Act II when he returns to Jerusalem(was it Jerusalem?) he comes back after being beaten and raped. No longer feeling untouchable and an "Arab" he just wants to runaway. The pressure of the general to send him back, is what causes him to snap.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Magic Hate Ball, Dial M For Murder is very good.

Cool Hand Luke - Luke is a real person, one of those types that many of us have known at least once in our lives. You marvel both at their coolness and at the effortlessness with which they pull it off. He's admired without ever asking to be admired. Newman's Luke is also troubled and lost and immediately gains our sympathy. I felt genuine disappointment every time his escapes failed. Great performances by Newman and all the supporting cast, and beautiful cinematography by Conrad Hall. Wonderful movie. 90/100

New list:

Cinema Paradiso - I know very little about this.

The Great Dictator - I began watching this on TCM a long time ago and had to stop for some reason. I liked what I saw, and I really enjoy Chaplin.

The Apartment - I've seen two Wilder films and I love them both. So I'm sure I'll like this too.

On the Waterfront - I like Marlon Brando, so I have no hesitation to see this.

Grave of the Fireflies - Another highly praised anime I have not seen.

Witness for the Prosecution - I know nothing about this one.

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - One of my favorite films ever is Nosferatu, yet it remains the only Murnau film I've seen.

The Grapes of Wrath - Sounds great. It's just never been on my radar.

The Kid - More Chaplin I need to see.

Ben-Hur - I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to this one very much. Looks a tad hokey from the little I've seen, and it's very long.

Watched (scores out of 100):
12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92) Das Boot(92) Downfall(70) It Happened One Night(77) Cool Hand Luke(90)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

caiman, half started films are the worst to have hanging over your head, so watch The Great Dictator.

As I mentioned before seeing it, Être et avoir is a film about teaching little kids and it's really good. I expected a film with some kind of message but whatever commentary there is is entirely subtextual. We get to see snipets of a school year in a rural French schoolhouse with about 15 students of various elementary school ages. Some of these are good students, some are bad, the teacher is very much human and not perfect but also clearly cares and it's not an easy job. There's nothing to quite make you go wow but it's greater than the sum of its parts, a triumph of simplicity and small insights into the learning process. Very much something I'd recommend.

Updated list:

Riget Time to add another miniseries I haven't seen. All I know is it's made by Lars von Trier.

Possession Not sure why I have this on my need to see list actually. Maybe someone here recommended it? Seems like it could be brilliant or terrible.

The Wind Will Carry Us The last Kiarostami movie I saw, Ten, really soured me on the guy, but considering I've liked his other features there's no reason not to give this a shot.

The Year of Living Dangerously Peter Weir, Mel Gibson early 80s. That's the extent of my knowledge.

Traffic It's clear I'm not going to watch this without being pushed to do so despite having the Criterion DVD for years.

Punishment Park It seems to be a pretty divisive film and I'm curious about it.

Perceval le Gallois Rohmer may be my favourite director. I've seen everything else pre-1998, but King Arthur adaptations don't have a good track record with me.

Seven Beauties Never seen a Lina Wertmüller, this one seems to be the most highly regarded, though if anyone think I should watch Love and Anarchy or The Seduction of Mimi instead I'm fine with that.

Blackmail Hitchcock, it's been a while. There's both a sound version and a silent version. I'm not sure which I should watch, or if both which I should watch first.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10 , Lagaan 8.5/10 , The Warriors 8/10 , Être et avoir 9/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Rendez-vous d'Anna was very good. It reminded me of Wenders' The State of Things. Besides the structuralist shorts, it was probably the weakest of the box set, but that's only because the standard was very high. It might be her best shot movie, though Hotel Monterey makes a strong case for itself.

PA, Blackmail is calling me, but I'm sure someone else will recommend it, so hit Punishment Park. I think it's Watkins' best movie.

New list:

Two Thousand Maniacs! Is this any good? I wasn't thrilled with Blood Feast.

The Tarnished Angels Sirk's favorite Sirk movie.

Night Moves I've been meaning to watch this since Arthur Penn died, but haven't gotten to it.

Naked City Been watching, and ADORING, the TV show.

I Know Where I'm Going! Really gotta get to work on P&P.

The Ninth Configuration I keep getting real adamant about watching this, and then it fizzles out in like ten minutes.

Toto, Peppino e la malafemmina Italian comedy doesn't do it for me, but Terrence Malick of all people loves this one. Certainly worth a try.

New: The Old Dark House For years I thought this and The Black Cat were the same movie. Now I realize they're not, and need a little push to get them sorted out.

Montenegro or Sweet Movie I loved WR and the Eclipse set, but I've avoided Sweet Movie because I heard it sucks and Montenegro because the poster is crap.

Barfly I'm a big Bukowski fan which, actually, is why I keep avoiding this.

Finished from this thread:
Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

penismightier posted:

Two Thousand Maniacs! Is this any good? I wasn't thrilled with Blood Feast.

It probably won't, but you never know.

Serpico was quite good. Lumet and Pacino did two really fantastic collaborations, the guy really brings out the best of Pacino. I find it very interesting and it was 70's as gently caress. That's a good thing by the way. Very hosed up world the guy lived on. You don't want to be a corrupt cop eh? Well get shot in the face then.

There were a couple of things that bothered me. Did not like the soundtrack and there were was a scene, that well, reminded me of The Room. The shoe shop at the beginning was very weird and gave me Flower Shop flashbacks. Not a good reaction. But the movie is solid and Pacino is wonderful.

Edit: Also i just realized that Pacino did The Godfather, Serpico, The Godfather Part II and Dog Day Afternoon in a row, and didn't win a single Oscar. :psyduck:

My Shame List:

Get Carter It's the 40th anniversary of this movie apparently.

Cape Fear I did not care much for the Scorsese remake. Hoping this will be better.

Through a Glass Darkly The first of the Chamber Trilogy.(Or whatever you call it)

Fantasia I remember skipping this movie as a child cause it was only musics and no story. The shame...

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu, Serpico.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 28, 2011

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Electronico6, you get Fantasia.

I just watched Das Boot and I can see why it's considered one of the greatest movies ever made; that's certainly not something I'll contest. Contrary to what others have said, I didn't think it was boring at all; in fact, I was wrapped right up in the crew and their camaraderie and struggles for survival. The film allows you to get to know the crew fairly well, especially the stone-faced captain and Johann in all his attenuated sanity. By the end of the movie, I felt like I'd run a marathon with the characters. That only made the feeling of overwhelming futility at the end hit harder.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha; The Terminator; The Battleship Potemkin; The Bicycle Thief; The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; The Constant Gardener; Walkabout; 3:10 to Yuma; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; Aliens; Rain Man; Xich Lo; Akira; Jules et Jim; Johnny Guitar; Rocky Horror Picture Show; The Thin Blue Line; The Thin Red Line; Blackmail; Slacker; The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover; Terminator 2; Blazing Saddles; The Thin Man; Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!; Sideways; Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia; L'Avventura; Gone With the Wind; Blue; White; Red; Primer; Schindler's List; Network; Beverly Hills Cop; Sweet Sweetback's Baadassss Song; A Night at the Opera; Celine and Julie Go Boating; Night of the Living Dead; Chinatown; Carlito's Way; Requiem for a Dream; The Holy Mountain; Strange Days; Kramer vs. Kramer; When Harry Met Sally…; Irréversible; Tampopo; The White Ribbon; Caro Diario; The Natural; Rosemary's Baby; Mishima; Strictly Ballroom; Splendor in the Grass; Das Boot

An American Werewolf in London: All I know about this movie is it stars David Naughton, who is hilariously arrogant in old episodes of The $100,000 Pyramid. Also, werewolves. And London.
The Dead: I'm interested in the interplay between John and Anjelica Huston, even if they're on opposite sides of the camera.
Dead Man: It's the only Jarmusch film I've tried watching. I didn't make it all the way through. It deserves another chance.
Fish Tank: (2009) I do not know a thing about this movie except that everyone who sees it apparently thinks really, really hard about it afterward.
Kiss of the Spider Woman: Julia Carpenter's such a badass! I'm so excited about seeing this movie where Spider-Woman takes on such foes as Doc Ock and… This isn't what I think it is, is it?
Manhunter: I've seen Silence of the Lambs and Heat, but I'm pretty behind on Hannibal Lecter and Michael Mann.
Mon Oncle: I watched M. Hulot's Holiday recently and I greatly enjoyed it. I haven't seen anything else with Hulot and I'm pretty inexperienced with films about uncles.
My Left Foot: I only know Day-Lewis from his mustache roles.
Raise the Red Lantern: Randomly-picked movie that coincides with my interest in Chinese cinema.
Uzak: :zombie: I've never seen a Turkish film.

EDIT: I'm not sure if it's necessary to say this, but just for the record, even though I greatly enjoyed Das Boot I still really, really hate Nazism.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 28, 2011

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

CloseFriend posted:

My Left Foot: I only know Day-Lewis from his mustache roles.
While I've never seen it I've heard outstanding things.

I have read To Kill a Mockingbird so I knew what I was going into. I know the book is a literary classic and books are generally better than the film version due to the detail put in. I can't necessarily say the film was better, but I can say this is one of the most powerful pieces of film I've ever seen. I generally prefer film to book because I like to hear and see, so that really kind of skews things a bit too. I have never cried during a movie, and I'm usually not one to really have emotions take over in something of this medium. However, this is the exception to that. When the juror decided the fate of the trial, I lost it. I knew what was going to happen and it couldn't help me. I guess one flaw is the details of Robinson's death were different in the novel where he was shot several times as opposed to the film. I think that detail would've made things better, but I don't think it changes the story to enough degree to make it worse an any way. Racism and discrimination are things that I have really been researching on my own these past few years and are probably the subject I find most interesting about human kind. With that in mind, and with how much I loved the movie, I have to rate this movie perfect. There arn't going to be much of any movies better (I know I say that now).

New List:

1. This is Spinal Tap - Looks like a movie I would love.

2. Fargo - I've only ever seen one Coen bros film.

3. Sin City - I need something to fill my action slot, and I've always watched the action movies that I've really wanted to see. I've heard good things about this though.

4. Slumdog Millionaire - Most recent best picture movie I haven't seen. I have heard great things about this movie.

5. Rebecca - Hitchcock's best picture film. Like most everything else that's not recent on this list, I'm going in blind.

7. Stand by Me - Seems to be liked by everyone I know. What I know is that it's supposed to be a Goonies-esque coming of age type of adventure movie.

8. City Lights - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen and a nice reappearance of Chaplin.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10, Harvey 6/10, Nikita 5.5/10, Yojimbo 8/10, How to Train Your Dragon 7.5/10, To Kill a Mockingbird 10/10

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

marioinblack, everyone needs to see This is Spinal Tap.

I saw Blade Runner (final cut) and I may get killed for this but I didn't like it at all. Visually it was pretty incredible but I thought the story was simplistic and it took too long to get where it was trying to go. I didn't like Harrison Ford in it at all, either. He just seemed very out of place and the role didn't suit him. I had heard from friends that the ending was supposed to be ambiguous and I thought it was going that way when the girl asked him if he ever took the test himself but nothing ever seemed to come of that. Overall I found it to be kind of boring but I'm glad I finally saw it, though. I also don't know what to spoiler tag and what not to so if I overdid it then sorry.

My list:

1. Kramer vs. Kramer - Barely know a thing about it other than it won some awards in a fairly big year so I feel like I should watch it.

2. Happy-Go-Lucky - I've been curious about it since I read the premise a couple of weeks ago.

3. Scenes From a Marriage - Added it to my wishlist but haven't followed through yet.

4. A Somewhat Gentle Man - I love introspective films like this one seems to be.

5. The Shining - I'm a big Opie and Anthony fan and they constantly reference it, which lends to my curiosity. I've seen the last 15 minutes of it and it seems creepy enough to sink into but I just haven't dedicated the time to sit and watch it.

6. Blade Runner Casablanca - Ugh, I really, really, really don't want to watch it but I have to at some point in my life, I suppose. I have a prejudice toward older films like this and always got the impression that the story is probably really corny.

7. Once Upon a Time in America - The running time is the only thing that's kept me from watching it, basically.

8. All the Presidents Men - I was a journalism major for awhile in college and this is supposedly the opus of journalists.

9. The Fighter - The previews made me hate it but too many people have told me how good it is so I'm torn.

10. Stranger Than Paradise - Really intrigued by the premise but Jarmusch is pretty hit or miss for me.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

BIZORT posted:

I saw Blade Runner (final cut) and I may get killed for this but I didn't like it at all. Visually it was pretty incredible but I thought the story was simplistic and it took too long to get where it was trying to go. I didn't like Harrison Ford in it at all, either. He just seemed very out of place and the role didn't suit him. I had heard from friends that the ending was supposed to be ambiguous and I thought it was going that way when the girl asked him if he ever took the test himself but nothing ever seemed to come of that. Overall I found it to be kind of boring but I'm glad I finally saw it, though. I also don't know what to spoiler tag and what not to so if I overdid it then sorry.

I don't think anyone will kill you for that. I respect a lot of the things it does, but it's just too cold of a movie for me to really love it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

BIZORT posted:

6. Blade Runner Casablanca - Ugh, I really, really, really don't want to watch it but I have to at some point in my life, I suppose. I have a prejudice toward older films like this and always got the impression that the story is probably really corny.

God I wish it was my turn to recommend.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Bizort, you've got to see The Shining.

I'm hoping to slowly transition this from more famous movies to more niche ones, but first I think I'd be better served by a guilt trip to push me into seeing some classics.

1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I'm aware of the basic plot outline and feel like I already know R.P. McMurphy and Nurse Ratched despite never seeing a minute of the actual film. I guess because of that passing familiarity I never was motivated to actually watch it.

2. All About Eve - This is really in place in a thread called SHAMEFUL, but I only know about the famous "Fasten your seatbelts" line and that Showgirls was a modern retelling of this. For me, Bette Davis is Baby Jane Hudson since my parents watched Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? at least once a year for as long as I can remember. (I really wish I could have a transcript of them explaining the plot to 6-year old me, I remember thinking they were supposed to be playing themselves as children, not aged versions of themselves) I am literally going into this expecting Baby Jane channeling Nomi Malone and keeping an eye out for 50s Kyle MacLachlan analogue.

3. Raging Bull - Until I saw Taxi Driver, for some reason I got the two movies mixed up whenever one was referenced, like I thought Jake LaMotta would be saying "You talking to me?" into the mirror.

4. The Sting - I love goofy heist Robert Redford in The Hot Rock, which is the only Donald Westlake novel adaptation I actually liked as someone who would burn through Dortmunder novels in middle school. From what I know, this is basically the same goofy heist Robert Redford.

5. Double Indemnity - At the top of basically every film noir list I've seen, I know only the most basic outline of a plot so I'm going in expecting a two-conspirator version of the Dial M for Murder scheme.

6. Charade - Outside of My Fair Lady, I don't know if I've seen anything with Audrey Hepburn, which needs to be remedied. (Sabrina just missed the cut for this list, too) On a similar note as Robert Redford The Sting, I know slapstick Carey Grant from Arsenic and Old Lace, which I loved, and look forward to slapstick Carey Grant here.

7. Persona - The Seventh Seal is my only experience with Bergman, and I'm more intrigued by the plot of this than Fanny and Alexander or Wild Strawberries.

8. The Graduate - Basically the same as One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, I know the main characters, the basic plot outline, the plastics line, and the wedding scene.

9. Gone with the Wind - What I've heard about the length and racism plus how ubiquitous references to it are have been pretty huge deterrents. Why did I put this on the list again?

10. Inland Empire - Obviously the outlier on the list, I got about an hour in when I tried to watch it last year and just dropped out for some reason I don't even remember. Since then, I really haven't been that eager to re-experience the first hour of Inland Empire for obvious reasons, but I'm a huge Lynch fan and feel like I really should watch it in one sitting.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Two Thousand Maniacs! is better than I expected. It's pretty witty and a clear Civil Rights-era jab at the whole idea of Southern hospitality. It anticipated a lot of much better movies (Souther Comfort, Deliverance, etc), but it's pretty good in its own right and has some beautiful bubblegum 60s colors.

Power of Pecota, Charade.

New list:

New: Ordet Why the gently caress haven't I watched Ordet?

The Tarnished Angels Sirk's favorite Sirk movie.

Night Moves I've been meaning to watch this since Arthur Penn died, but haven't gotten to it.

The Ninth Configuration I keep getting real adamant about watching this, and then it fizzles out in like ten minutes.

Toto, Peppino e la malafemmina Italian comedy doesn't do it for me, but Terrence Malick of all people loves this one. Certainly worth a try.

The Old Dark House For years I thought this and The Black Cat were the same movie. Now I realize they're not, and need a little push to get them sorted out.

Montenegro or Sweet Movie I loved WR and the Eclipse set, but I've avoided Sweet Movie because I heard it sucks and Montenegro because the poster is crap.

Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10), Two Thousand Maniacs! (7/10)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Electronico6 posted:

Ah those scenes. They were important and very different from the Act I scenes. Both moments play each other off quite well.

In retrospect they do, but the image I had of the film going in was "guy in desert doing heroic things". I had absolutely no idea it was really an epic character tragedy about Lawrence coming to terms with his own humanity. Taken in that light the film makes way more sense and I look forward to revisiting it when it eventually gets a Blu-Ray release.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

In retrospect they do, but the image I had of the film going in was "guy in desert doing heroic things". I had absolutely no idea it was really an epic character tragedy about Lawrence coming to terms with his own humanity. Taken in that light the film makes way more sense and I look forward to revisiting it when it eventually gets a Blu-Ray release.

Well next year it's the 50th Anniversary and some dude has said in some interview work has started, so there might be hope that 2012 is finally the year that it comes to Blu Ray. The movie was suppose to be out in 2007 or 2008. :psyduck:

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
penismightier, The Tarnished Angels. It's been forever since I saw this, but I remember it being gorgeous.

There isn't a sigh big enough for how long it took me to get around to

Modern Times - So much fun. I watched it with the family, and they loved it, as well. I enjoyed how deftly it handled the political subtext; I've always felt that comedy has a unique opportunity to point to injustice without falling into exploitation or sensationalism, and Modern Times is a great example. All of the scenes with the factory machinery are staggering, I can't imagine the engineering that went into them. Most impressively, I think, is that an eighty-year-old film was still able to make me bust out laughing. Well done, Chaplin and crew. Almost as funny: watching my parents listen to the Dardenne brothers' socialist rant in the extras. 9/10

In the meantime, I also watched

Jaws - This is an odd one, in that I really liked it, but still found it kind of lackluster. I realize that technically it's wonderful, and it hits all the right beats, but it still felt lacking. I don't want to harp on it too much for being "too neat", because it played a big part in defining that "neatness," but nothing in it really surprised or resonated with me. I realize that it's a genre movie, and characterization is not supposed to be the primary focus, but the town and boat scenes were great, and I found myself wishing the drat shark would just go away and stop disrupting these great scenes. It wound up being more annoying than scary. I appreciate that it doesn't show the monster more than it does, but I could have done with a little less, really. 8/10.

Updated:

2. Bringing Up Baby - I have no idea why I haven't seen this, I'm a fan of everyone involved.

3. City Lights - I've only ever seen The Great Dictator, but it was years ago. Bad, I know. I do love Buster Keaton. *Have now seen Modern Times, as well

6. L'atalante - I love visually creative silent films, and the couple of scenes I saw in a documentary once were gorgeous.

8. Sansho the Bailiff - Ugetsu blew me away; I've been meaning to explore some more Mizoguchi.

10. Sunrise - Note for #6 applies here, too.

11. My Darling Clementine - The ever-promising 3 F's: Ford, Fonda, and...Walter Brennan, I guess.

12. Stagecoach - Another, more obvious Ford. I've held off on this because the images I've seen make it look less visually striking than his later work, but that's not really fair, I guess.

15. Nashville – I loved McCabe & Mrs. Miller (we will not speak of Quintet), and this seems to be Altman’s most popular work.

16. Greed - I've never seen a von Stroheim film, and the story behind its production is fascinating, but I've never really been compelled to give it a go.

17. Amarcord – And I call myself a fan of Fellini.

Mission accomplished: The Godfather Part II - 9/10, Some Like it Hot - 9/10, The Battle of Algiers - 9.5/10, Double Indemnity – 9.5/10, Lawrence of Arabia – 9/10, Jaws - 8/10, Modern Times - 9/10

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Aorist, go with Nashville

A.I. Artificial Intelligence started out okay, but by the end I was just waiting for it to be over. The fairy tale narration was grating, and the acting was mostly terrible. 2.5/5

Shadows
More Cassavetes..
Andrei Rublev
On the most lists. I know nothing about this other than that it is Tarkovsky and long.
Safe
Other Todd Haynes/Julianne Moore movie. This one sounds much better.
71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance
Haneke noooooo. Recommended to me earlier in this thread.
Winchester '73
I need some more Westerns.
Local Hero
Picked this up at a flea market a few days ago. Don't know much about it other than that I probably won't ever watch it unless someone here makes me.
Ugetsu
Next on TSPDT. I know nothing about it.
Princess Mononoke
Almost done the top 250.
Tender Mercies
Been wanting to watch this one for a while.
Syndromes and a Century
Next up on TSPDT's 21st Century list. I wasn't a big fan of Tropical Malady, so I'm not sure how I'll feel about this.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Princess Mononoke
Almost done the top 250.
I'm about to put this on my list and would like to see some reception on it.

This is Spinal Tap is outstanding. That's really all I have to say. It's so well done for the type of movie it is and covers a genre of music I know a bit about. Everything struck the right cord with me.

New List:

1. Wayne's World - I forgot I'd never seen this.

2. Fargo - I've only ever seen one Coen bros film.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10, Harvey 6/10, Nikita 5.5/10, Yojimbo 8/10, How to Train Your Dragon 7.5/10, To Kill a Mockingbird 10/10, This is Spinal Tap 9.5/11

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Marioinblack, I'm a huge Coen brothers fan (I'll even defend the first half of The Ladykillers) so I'd recommend Fargo.

I came into Charade expecting a romantic comedy with light action aspects, and was really delightfully surprised by how wrong I was. Hepburn and Grant had really remarkable chemistry together and Walter Matthau was a really pleasant surprise. Grant's character reminded me of kind of a spiritual predecessor of Mark Whitacre in The Informant!, only becoming more likable over time. Some of the early jokes fell kind of flat (really I'm just thinking of the terrible liverwurst ones), but once Grant and Hepburn met up for the second time it absolutely took off. 10/10

1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I'm aware of the basic plot outline and feel like I already know R.P. McMurphy and Nurse Ratched despite never seeing a minute of the actual film. I guess because of that passing familiarity I never was motivated to actually watch it.

2. All About Eve - This is really in place in a thread called SHAMEFUL, but I only know about the famous "Fasten your seatbelts" line and that Showgirls was a modern retelling of this. For me, Bette Davis is Baby Jane Hudson since my parents watched Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? at least once a year for as long as I can remember. (I really wish I could have a transcript of them explaining the plot to 6-year old me, I remember thinking they were supposed to be playing themselves as children, not aged versions of themselves) I am literally going into this expecting Baby Jane channeling Nomi Malone and keeping an eye out for 50s Kyle MacLachlan analogue.

3. Raging Bull - Until I saw Taxi Driver, for some reason I got the two movies mixed up whenever one was referenced, like I thought Jake LaMotta would be saying "You talking to me?" into the mirror.

4. The Sting - I love goofy heist Robert Redford in The Hot Rock, which is the only Donald Westlake novel adaptation I actually liked as someone who would burn through Dortmunder novels in middle school. From what I know, this is basically the same goofy heist Robert Redford.

5. Double Indemnity - At the top of basically every film noir list I've seen, I know only the most basic outline of a plot so I'm going in expecting a two-conspirator version of the Dial M for Murder scheme.

6. Persona - The Seventh Seal is my only experience with Bergman, and I'm more intrigued by the plot of this than Fanny and Alexander or Wild Strawberries.

7. The Graduate - Basically the same as One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, I know the main characters, the basic plot outline, the plastics line, and the wedding scene.

8. Gone with the Wind - What I've heard about the length and racism plus how ubiquitous references to it are have been pretty huge deterrents. Why did I put this on the list again?

9. Inland Empire - Obviously the outlier on the list, I got about an hour in when I tried to watch it last year and just dropped out for some reason I don't even remember. Since then, I really haven't been that eager to re-experience the first hour of Inland Empire for obvious reasons, but I'm a huge Lynch fan and feel like I really should watch it in one sitting.

10. Three Colors: Red - I can't believe I forgot this for my first list, I absolutely loved Blue and thoroughly enjoyed White despite its flaws. I've heard that this is generally regarded as the best in the trilogy, and it has a lot to live up to with Blue.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Power of Pecota, I don't know what plot you're intrigued by with Persona, the film is much more visceral experience than narrative, but it's one of my all-time favourites so go watch it.

Punishment Park is unabashedly didactic, and that gets a little grating at times, but I was expecting that and not too annoyed by it. The performances are really strong on both sides of the spectrum, really selling the frustrations and personal blind-spots of their characters. Dialogue where people cut each other off as much as they do in this film is often hard to capture and I give Watkins full credit for doing it well. The editing is the film's highlight, contrasting the 'trial' of a group of dissidents with those who preceded them and are now fighting through Punishment Park, the hellish endurance trial offered as a way to avoid a stiff prison term. By contrasting the scenes in this way, especially with the way they play out, the film creates an increasing sense of frustration and a target at which to direct it. I really only have one gripe with the film, but it's one that looms large over my impression. The conceit of the film lies on very uncomfortable ground that undermines its effectiveness as either political commentary or thought experiment. The concept of quick railroaded trials, police brutality and denial of rights is way too close to home for things to work as a thought exercise. Many of these types of things happened, and still do, and the film isn't outrageous enough to provide a distance from which this can be viewed as satire or as a legitimate exploration of themes and concepts. On the other hand, the content and form itself is wholly unbelievable so, despite the film's attempts with its documentary style, it's impossible to take what's being presented at face value and be outraged by the injustices. As such I was watching the film annoyed by the reality of certain concepts being discussed, but never outraged by their portrayal nor provided any sort of cathartic release through entertainment.

Updated list:

Blackmail Hitchcock, it's been a while. There's both a sound version and a silent version. I'm not sure which I should watch, or if both which I should watch first.

Twelve O'Clock High Gregory Peck WWII film.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10 , Lagaan 8.5/10 , The Warriors 8/10 , Être et avoir 9/10 , Punishment Park 7/10

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Time to watch it then.

Fantasia has it's ups and downs. Did not care for a whole lot of the Nutcracker scenes, the creation of life segment was not as impressive as the recent Malick film(Yeah I know.) and felt really bored during the Beethoven piece with the greek mythology. But when it was good, it was mindblowingly good. The spectacle of colours and imagery coupled with the music, during the good parts, was really captivating and trippy.(30 years before the 60's!) It's something that I defiantly should have seen during my childhood, and I wish I could go slap Past Me in the face for ignoring it. That moron.

My Shame List:

Get Carter It's the 40th anniversary of this movie apparently.

To Kill a Mockingbird Is the movie better than the book?

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu, Serpico, Fantasia.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Your point about Punishment Park walking a really tight line is a good one - some government, maybe Sweden, thought it was a straight documentary and officially decried our actions. Personally, I think that tension is the strength of the film. It's a very uncomfortable experience.

The Tarnished Angels is really good and just what I've come to expect from Sirk - though closer in quality to All I Desire than the stunning Imitation of Life. You could tell Sirk was hoping to do this in color, it's dying for it. At least b/w makes the flying effects a little stronger.

I also watched The Old Dark House which was slightly disappointing until the last ten minutes or so. Saul is an unbelievably well-realized character.

Electronico6, Shane, because if not me, who?

New list:

Ordet Why the gently caress haven't I watched Ordet?

New: Beware of a Holy Whore Cult Fassbinder hit?

New: Body Heat I got nothin'

Au Hasard Balthazar (8/10), In the Mood for Love (8.5/10), La Dolce Vita (6.5/10), Anatomy of Murder (9/10), The Grand Illusion (9/10), Ben-Hur (8.5/10), Gone with the Wind (9/10), Black Orpheus (8/10), The Departed (4/10), Midnight Cowboy (5/10), The Red Shoes (9.5/10), Harvey (8.5/10), M. Hulot's Holiday (7.5/10), Trouble in Paradise (8/10), Ugetsu Monogatari (8/10), All That Heaven Allows (9.5/10), Blow-Up (8/10), If... (8/10), The Bad & The Beautiful (7.5/10). Autumn Sonata (9/10), Harold and Maude (3.5/10), L'Atalante (8/10), Anticipation of the Night (8.5/10), Cleo from 5 to 7 (8/10), Wavelength (7/10), Saddle the Wind (7/10), Partie de campagne (7.5/10), My Neighbor Totoro (7/10), Shadows (8/10), Odd Man Out (8/10), Don't Look Now (8/10), Dead Ringers (7.5/10), Written on the Wind (8.5/10), My Winnipeg (8/10), On Dangerous Ground (8.5/10), The King of Comedy (8.5/10), Berlin Express (7/10), The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (8.5/10), 3 Women (8.5/10). Harakiri (9.5/10), Zelig (7.5/10), Veronika Voss (7.5/10), Late Spring (8/10), Soldier of Orange (7/10), Vivre Sa Vie (8.5/10), The American Friend (7.5/10), The Endless Sumer (7.5/10), Yesterday Girl (7.5/10), Battleground (8/10), Two-Lane Blacktop (8/10), Chimes at Midnight (9/10), Trash Humpers (6/10), The Docks of New York (9/10), The Fallen Idol (9/10), Fires on the Plain (9/10), Tomorrow I'll Wake Up and Scald Myself with Tea (7.5/10), The Americanization of Emily (8.5/10), I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (8/10), The Mirror (8.5/10), The Thin Man (8.5/10), Danger: Diabolik (7.5/10), Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song (7.5/10), Black God White Devil (8/10), Little Fugitive (8/10), Drunken Angel (7.5/10), Funeral Parade of Roses (9/10), How to Train Your Dragon (8/10), Across 110th Street (7.5/10), The Hypothesis of the Stolen Painting (8/10), The Wind (8.5), Portrait of Jennie (7/10), Primer (8/10), To Catch a Thief (8/10), The Fantastic Mr. Fox (4/10), Getrud (8.5/10), Our Hospitality (9/10), Les Diaboliques (8/10), The Awful Truth (8/10), Duel in the Sun (6.5/10), A Guy Named Joe (6/10), Quiet City (5/10), People on Sunday (8.5/10), Nothing but a Man (8.5/10), Spring Summer Winter Fall and Spring (8/10), Comradship (7.5/10), Too Early, Too Late (4/10), Wooden Crosses (7.5/10), White Zombie (8.5/10), No Highway in the Sky (8/10), The Wanderers (8.5/10), My Son My Son What Have Ye Done (7/10), Our Town (9/10), The Winning of Barbara Worth (8/10), Red Riding 1974 (7/10), Grand Hotel (8/10), Rapt (8/10), The Champ (7/10), Red Beard (8.5/10), Rendez-vous d'Anna (8/10), Two Thousand Maniacs! (7/10), The Old Dark House (7.5/10), The Tarnished Angels (8/10)

penismightier fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 30, 2011

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Dial M For Murder

First off, I have to say that I'd love to see this in 3D, if just to see how it affects the already gloriously deep cinematography. 3D is usually really tacky and when you see a 3D movie in 2D more often than not it's really obvious that some parts were made for it and some parts weren't at all, but Dial M looks like it could have been effective in its third dimension all the way through as an atmospheric device rather than a gimmick. It makes doubly the sense as it's based off of a play. In some ways the play structure damages the film, because there are only so many ways to shoot people talking a lot, and a lot less then than there were now (though the next decade would open a lot of doors; Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? is one of the most frenetic films I know of). It doesn't help that the apartment is hopelessly drab in a kind of blandly static early Hollywood way.

Where Dial M succeeds is mostly in its taught script. By the intermission I felt like a piano wire. It's also a great example of a film having its cake and eating it too, in that we get to have the voyeuristic thrill of seeing a crime being committed (and cheering on the criminals) and the juicy satisfaction of seeing a criminal get what's coming to him. It's a funny sort of gradual change.

8/10

SHAAAAAAME

1) Howards End - I'm going to watch every Criterion Blu-Ray, dammit, no matter how boring they look.

2) Badlands - I like what I've seen of Malick so far.

3) All About Eve - Well, Netflix doesn't have the Blu-Ray, but it's next on TSPDT and I've heard good things.

4) Secret Honor - I love Robert Altman and I love Richard Nixon (as a subject), and I've heard endless good things about this.

5) Viridiana - Next on the TSPDT list. I've only seen two Buñuels, one I was too dumb to appreciate at the time and the other I loved.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Bringing Up Baby - My film professor told me to watch this once and I didn't for some reason. Apparently it has Cary Grant and a baby tiger?

9) The Wrong Man - More Hitchcock. I don't know much about this, even about the real-life case. I do remember Hitchcock and Truffaut arguing about a shot in which Fonda spins on a stool in his cell.

10) The Silence - Part 3 in a Bergman trilogy.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10, Lawrence Of Arabia 8.5/10, Dial M For Murder 8/10 (total: 35)

penismightier, enjoy Ordet.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Magic Hate Ball watch Badlands.

Manhattan is just excellent. The black and white photography is stunning. Allen is just great at creating complex and interesting characters. There are some very uncomfortable moments between Allen and Hemingway, but at least it's mitigated somewhat by Allen being fairly self-critical. Their relationship didn't bug me as much as I thought it would.

1. Manhattan Pather Panchali - Only experience with Ray was a very low quality DVD of The Music Room. I liked it a lot.

2. Tokyo Story - I think I might have a problem appreciating muted emotions in movies. I might have a hard time watching this.

3. Some Like it Hot - Wilder is pretty great.

4. Mean Streets - Love Scorsese, but I've heard people say that this is too similar to Taxi Driver but not nearly as good. That's okay, even if it isn't half as good as Taxi Driver it'll still be a good film.

5. Rio Bravo - John Wayne seemed like he was a real rear end in a top hat. Maybe I'll enjoy some of his films anyway.

6. The Graduate - I can't really get excited to watch this for some reason.

7. The Rules of the Game - Ranked as one of the very best movies of all time, I think it's a about class warfare or something. Ooooh, a war movie!

8. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - Don't really know how I managed to avoid this for so long, not even ever seeing it on TV.

9. Nights of Cabiria - Haven't seen a ton of Italian films.

10. Brief Encounter - Haven't seen that many movies from the 40's. A David Lean film that isn't a sprawling adventure sounds interesting.

Watched(Score/100): The Seventh Seal 95, Moon 84, Barton Fink 95, The Thin Blue Line 86, Cool Hand Luke 87, Citizen Kane 96, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind 91, Rear Window 94, North by Northwest 86, Goodfellas 97, Casablanca 95, City Lights 81, Seven Samurai 92, Bicycle Thieves 88, Do the Right Thing 95, The Battle of Algiers 86, On the Waterfront 78, Wild Strawberries 94, The Trial 91, Adaptation 89, Unforgiven 91, Annie Hall 86, The 400 Blows 88, Diabolique 80, Mulholland Dr. 98, Dirty Harry 60, The 39 Steps 82, Aguirre: The Wrath of God 92, 8 1/2 85, Boogie Nights 88, A Streetcar Named Desire 77, Raiders of the Lost Ark 92, The General 87, Pickpocket 74, Pulp Fiction 96, Amadeus 88, Lawrence of Arabia 92, Eraserhead 84, The Lady Vanishes 84, The Wild Bunch 83, A Clockwork Orange 79, Platoon 76, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 85, Ikiru 91, Jules and Jim 92, The Asphalt Jungle 81, M 86, The Thin Red Line 86, Dial M for Murder 85, The Sting 81, Once Upon a Time in the West 86, The Exterminating Angel 85, A Woman Under the Influence 96, Singin' in the Rain 85, Scenes from a Marriage 93, Badlands 85, City of God 91, The Gold Rush 74, The Maltese Falcon 86, The Conformist 87, The Shawshank Redemption 83, High and Low 90, It's a Wonderful Life 75, Days of Heaven 87, Le Samourai 71, The Night of the Hunter 91, Metropolis 93, The New World 86, Persona 81, Manhattan 86

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Electronico6 posted:

It probably won't, but you never know.

Serpico was quite good. Lumet and Pacino did two really fantastic collaborations, the guy really brings out the best of Pacino. I find it very interesting and it was 70's as gently caress. That's a good thing by the way. Very hosed up world the guy lived on. You don't want to be a corrupt cop eh? Well get shot in the face then.

There were a couple of things that bothered me. Did not like the soundtrack

If it makes you feel any better, Lumet was adamant that the movie have no score at all but the producer Dino de Laurentiis insisted, so he put in the 15 minutes or so of music in Serpico just to shut up him up, more or less.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Atheistdeals, Some Like it Hot is pretty great.

I didn't like Princess Mononoke. I love Spirited Away, but this was missing the playfulness of that one. 2/5

Also saw Tender Mercies. Duvall definitely deserved his Oscar for this. This is almost my favorite performance of his (just behind Lonesome Dove) and he nails every scene by masterfully underplaying every moment. The structure of the story was interesting too, in that almost all of the major developments happen off screen, and we only learn what's happening through dialogue. 4/5

Shadows
More Cassavetes..
Andrei Rublev
On the most lists. I know nothing about this other than that it is Tarkovsky and long.
Safe
Other Todd Haynes/Julianne Moore movie. This one sounds much better.
71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance
Haneke noooooo. Recommended to me earlier in this thread.
Winchester '73
I need some more Westerns.
Local Hero
Picked this up at a flea market a few days ago. Don't know much about it other than that I probably won't ever watch it unless someone here makes me.
Ugetsu
Next on TSPDT. I know nothing about it.
Syndromes and a Century
Next up on TSPDT's 21st Century list. I wasn't a big fan of Tropical Malady, so I'm not sure how I'll feel about this.
Ran
Almost done the top 250. I really should have seen this a long time ago.
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
It's time I saw this, I love Herzog. And maybe Nic Cage a bit.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Go see Ran, because why not? Completism.

The Godfather: Well, it was better than The Phantom Menace, so that makes it at least- what, 1.5? The Godfather was certainly good. It was nice seeing where all the now-cliché ideas, like the horse’s head in the bed, came from. The acting was incredibly good all the way through, and the music helped the understated mood. I was surprised how quickly Michael got involved in the business. I knew it was a story of him being inadvertently drawn in, but he was quick to suggest killing his father’s attackers. However, it was clear he expected it to be a one-time event and ran to Sicily to stay out of it. The Sicilian scenes dragged a bit, but they were effective in showing that Michael couldn’t escape his past. And, of course, there’s the irony that Michael wanted to stay out of the Mafia and ended up even more vicious than his father.

My one complaint was that there were so many characters that I couldn’t really keep track of all of them. I saw Robert Duvall a number of times, but I have no idea who he was playing. I get that they were telling an epic story, but all those Italians started to blend together pretty quickly. However, the acting was so strong that, even when I didn’t understand what was going on, I still felt emotionally involved. Similarly, once Michael got back from Sicily, the time seemed to fly by. In one scene, Michael’s proposing, and then suddenly he has a three year old son? Okay.
3.5/4

2. Goodfellas - Just never came up. I know Joe Pesci yells about not being funny for a while, and I remember the Animaniacs parodies, but that's really all I know. But I liked Gangs of New York and Raging Bull, so I have confidence in Scorsese.

Speaking of De Niro:

3. Taxi Driver - Most of these I don't have a good reason for. This is another one of those movies everyone can quote, so I think I should see it, but it's just never come up.

4. Blade Runner - Now this is really shameful. I'm a big sci-fi fan, and I like Harrison Ford, so it's bad already. But what really makes it inexcusable is that I bought it a couple years ago, and it's still sitting on the shelf in shrink wrap.

5. 2001: A Space Odyssey - More sci-fi that everyone but me has seen. I think my dad has a copy, so that would make it easier. I think I already know most of the plot, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it. If I'm given this one, I promise to try my best not to make too many Portal jokes.

6. Anything by Kurosawa - Seems to me like you have to go out of your way to see foreign films. I don't know anyone who owns these, and no one's ever personally suggested one to me. I like Japanese culture and history (I once wrote a whole story set in 16th century Japan), so I feel I should see some of these, and not just more anime. Rashomon sounds interesting, but I'll take the recommendation of the thread.

7. Pulp Fiction - For that matter, anything by Tarantino except for Inglourious Basterds. Pulp Fiction, however, is that only one I've gotten the "you've never seen?" treatment over. I know Jackson quotes the Bible and Walken shoves a watch up his rear end, and there's a suitcase full of macguffins that they're fighting over, but I'm most interested in this because of the clever dialogue that Tarantino writes. Both this and Reservoir Dogs are on my instant queue, so just say the word.

8. Chinatown - I didn't realize this was a must-see, but so many people upthread have included it that I figure I must be missing something. I really like Rosemary's Baby, and I'm willing to overlook the fact that the director is a rapist and judge the film on its own merits (of course, by the same token, his personal behavior should be judged on its own merits and not because of what films he's made, but that's a whole other conversation).

9. The Aviator - More from that Scorsese clown. This one isn't as much a must see as some of the others, but it's added shame because it's another one that I own but haven't seen (there's probably another five movies like that, but most of them are more obscure). I bought it for three bucks about four years ago when a local video store went out of business and I've never taken it out of the box.

10. Casablanca - Well, at least I’ve seen Citizen Kane, but AFI’s number 2 has escaped my notice. I can’t believe I didn’t think of this one right away- I was sitting here for a couple minutes trying to think of a number 10 to round out the list.

11. Godfather Part II- I borrowed the box set from a friend, and everyone says Part II is as good as if not better than Part I, so I'll probably watch it next any way. I doubt anyone will demand I watch Part III. Is that okay?

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Jurgan posted:

11. Godfather Part II- I borrowed the box set from a friend, and everyone says Part II is as good as if not better than Part I, so I'll probably watch it next any way. I doubt anyone will demand I watch Part III. Is that okay?
Normally I'd pick Goodfellas, but the Godfather needs to be seen in both parts.

So yah, Fargo was a pretty good movie you betcha. Kept itself interesting and very amusing throughout yah. I think we all oughta see a film like this someday. Nothing in this movie really stood out except one thing yah. However, you betcha that everything was done well. Good movie yah.

New List:

1. Wayne's World - I forgot I'd never seen this.

2. Barton Fink - No Country will be put up after I see Slumdog so I figure might as well put an early Coen movie up here since Fargo interested me in them enough.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10, Harvey 6/10, Nikita 5.5/10, Yojimbo 8/10, How to Train Your Dragon 7.5/10, To Kill a Mockingbird 10/10, This is Spinal Tap 11/11, Fargo 8/10