Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Defleshed posted:

Hah, there was a scene in the (terrible) movie adaptation of Jack Ketchum's Off Season (I think it was called Offspring) where the cops are trying to figure out what is going on and are standing around what is clearly a police car from Michigan (has a big picture of the state of Michigan on the door).

The movie takes place in Maine.

Maybe they were on vacation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

I watched Prey on a whim on Netflix's instant (And no, it's not the movie with the killer lions). It was actually a pretty decent creature flick with some inspired set pieces, but the less than 50 votes on IMDB tells me pretty much no one knows this movie exists. The special effects (all practical) are nice and nasty, though there's not much gore. The character development is so thin, and they're so eager to accept the outlandish situation that they're in that sometimes it felt like footage had been cut from it. All in all, not bad.

Then I took a chance on another French horror movie on Netflix called High Lane (originally titled "Vertige") and I highly recommend it if you like cinematic trainwrecks. It starts out with a not-too-terrible ripoff of "The Descent," but I've never seen a movie so quickly lose all its good will and dignity so fast as when High Lane introduces its villain. He's offscreen for a good duration, doing the typical Hills Have Eyes/TCM/Wrong Turn schtick without much style or tension, and then they dramatically reveal him by having him jump out and ineffectually wrestling with the cast for a while. He's honestly so non-threatening, and acts so goofy that someone could make a pretty good youtube highlight reel similar to the ones Slasherfan makes.

One sequence is particularly amazing: The bitch boyfriend of the main character who's been whining and acting like a douche for no reason the entire movie runs away when the villain first shows up (After knocking his friend in a hole and stealing the flares; again, for no reason). After a few minutes of the villain just looking like a mildly retarded trucker, Bitch Boyfriend runs back in the room, throws something at the villain, and runs out. He catches up to the boyfriend and proceeds to have a sit-down slapfight with him, gets beaten in the head with a rock and passes out. The boyfriend then uses this advantage to find the nearest cliff to run off the side of (in clear daylight), eventually to his death. It plays out like a scene from Scary Movie.
The forced (bad) dubbing on Netflix also didn't help.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^Seriously, gently caress High Lane. It started out ok (but, felt like a reverse Descent), but got lovely in record time. I had trouble finishing it. And, like you said, the dubs were terrible.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I just watched Vanishing on 7th Street and it ended up being pretty good. Small cast, little dialog and some pretty decent cinematography. The movie carried that same sense of hopelessness that Pulse did (like it or hate it). Hayden Christensen was Hayden Christensen but it worked pretty well here. Very little blood or gore of any kind - very simple but effective.... effects. I'd recommend it and it's on Netflix Instant right now.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

XIII posted:

^Seriously, gently caress High Lane. It started out ok (but, felt like a reverse Descent), but got lovely in record time. I had trouble finishing it. And, like you said, the dubs were terrible.

I thought it was decent (UK Version was subtitled) but as everyone else has stated it got bad as it went on. I did not buy the killer had been living in the woods all his life, didn't look like it also the characters all turned into backstabbing assholes.

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

Levantine posted:

I just watched Vanishing on 7th Street and it ended up being pretty good. Small cast, little dialog and some pretty decent cinematography. The movie carried that same sense of hopelessness that Pulse did (like it or hate it). Hayden Christensen was Hayden Christensen but it worked pretty well here. Very little blood or gore of any kind - very simple but effective.... effects. I'd recommend it and it's on Netflix Instant right now.

I really felt let down on the ending for that movie. I got the feeling that it was started out as a Rapture film, then some producers or something had the idea to remove any religious themes and what you were left with was... well, disappointing.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

IceNiner posted:

I really felt let down on the ending for that movie. I got the feeling that it was started out as a Rapture film, then some producers or something had the idea to remove any religious themes and what you were left with was... well, disappointing.

I felt kind of the same way - the movie isn't without weaknesses but I felt the overall atmosphere made up for its shortcomings. I totally agree about the Rapture thing though - I couldn't stop thinking about that the entire film, especially when considering the location for the ending.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I guess I'm the only person in the thread that thought Black Death sucked, huh?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

XIII posted:

So, I guess I'm the only person in the thread that thought Black Death sucked, huh?

I watched that this weekend and I walked away conflicted. It's a good movie, I think - but it is really the antithesis of fun. It's just so bleak and dreary. Which, while it works for the tone of the film, left me feeling a bit blah when it was all over.

I did appreciate that it was just a story - no good guys, no bad guys, just guys really. No one was all that sympathetic or over the top evil. Both the main characters and the 'antagonists' had reasons for doing what they did.

It was a very, very dark movie and I can see it not being for everyone. I'm still trying to sort out how I feel about it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I kind of wanted every single character to die. I loved the ending though. So in the end I guess it was a good choice for a movie to put on in the background while I'm doing other poo poo.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
Vanishing on 7th Street's moral is "accept Jesus as your savior and the light will return to your life." The whole movie is a pro-Christianity metaphor. Even ignoring that, it sucked.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

XIII posted:

I liked it, but kind of in the same way I liked Pandorum. I liked the subject and style enough that I still enjoyed them despite being mediocre movies.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

toxick posted:

Vanishing on 7th Street's moral is "accept Jesus as your savior and the light will return to your life." The whole movie is a pro-Christianity metaphor. Even ignoring that, it sucked.

I've got to pretty much agree with this. I had high hopes for it, awesome director, awesome concept..in theory it should've worked. In reality it was an unfortunate mess with unlikable characters, piss-poor pacing and a terrible ending.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

toxick posted:

I don't agree that was the metaphor for the movie, considering the ending but I can see how you could interpret it that way. I think the symbolism of any sort of salvation was purely a visual theme and pretty short lived.

I finished up The Hole over a few days (can't really watch violent stuff around my son) and I rather enjoyed it. I found the mystery surrounding what happened really compelling. I felt it lost some steam towards the end when everything was revealed and the ending was kind of unsatisfying, but probably the only way the movie could have ended.

Thora Birch was really convincing in her role as well. My taste seems a bit different than the forum's so take it with a grain of salt, but I'd definitely recommend it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Hole was okay but I wish someone ADR'ed all of Thora Birch's lines or just wrote her to be an American in London because that was one of the shittiest british accents I've ever heard.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Hole was okay but I wish someone ADR'ed all of Thora Birch's lines or just wrote her to be an American in London because that was one of the shittiest british accents I've ever heard.

Yes, it was bad enough she was harder to understand than everyone else in the movie. I wish directors would just let actors use their natural accents - it's not unreasonable to have an American in England or an Australian in the U.S. - just seems weird all these otherwise good actors faking really bad accents in everything they are in.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Actually I read The Hole not too long ago and am in the middle of watching it right now. I'm actually liking the movie better than the book.

I'm not hearing good things about Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. Kinda bummed out about that but am still looking forward to it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I watched The Tunnel with the girlfriend the other night and it was awesome. Easily my favorite "found footage" movie. The location was just soooo perfect, plus, knowing that it's a real place made it extra creepy.

MAXIMUM SWEAT
Apr 21, 2003

by Lowtax
I got around to watching Insidious and its probably the least imaginative and tacky horror film I've ever seen. It started out decent, but the
"Further" :rolleyes:, incredibly bad funhouse like smoke to indicate hes in another realm, stereotypical knowledgeable old lady to help solve problems, "you're stronger than the ghosts, just believe! *pushes ghost over*", the costuming. Holy poo poo the costuming. Splash some red facepaint on a guy, hes a demon. Ghosts are pale right? Indicate these people are ghosts by putting them in white makeup. Also, all ghosts move like they are Frankenstein. Put your arms straight out and weakly grasp at the main characters, Ghost Extra #3, its so freaky. I also just remembered the freeze frame fake ending and cliche "everything isnt what it seems!". I laughed out loud at that. I'm not trying to be smug, I love a good scary movie, but the scene with everyone laughing and the slow motion freeze frame I half expected the credits to overlay on top and something like the Cosby Show theme song to play.

What a joke.

MAXIMUM SWEAT fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 29, 2011

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Those poles penetrated that person's skull in an extremely convenient way!

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
It's Final Destination. "Extremely convenient (for death)" is the MO of the franchise! :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I've never seen a Final Destination movie. Do they constantly rotate to new casts, or is it an ongoing epic about how Death is the most incompetent self-correcting force of nature and how all the other demiurges laugh at him behind his back?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've never seen a Final Destination movie. Do they constantly rotate to new casts, or is it an ongoing epic about how Death is the most incompetent self-correcting force of nature and how all the other demiurges laugh at him behind his back?

The former. Although Ali Larter survived the first film only to die in the second.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Actually, every film in the series proves that death is extremely competent. The entire cast dies in every movie, with maybe two exceptions in the whole run of the series.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
I watched Insidious last night and was willing to forgive the stupid plot devices introduced in the first hour until the movie went full retard in the last 30 minutes. My god, what a wasted opportunity. And the demon looked terrible. It was much better when they kept him in the shadows.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

qbert posted:

Actually, every film in the series proves that death is extremely competent. The entire cast dies in every movie, with maybe two exceptions in the whole run of the series.

There aren't any exceptions; death has literally killed everyone in every movie it was after (any surviving cast members die in between movies as shown either by dialogue in the next movie or on DVD extras for the next movie).

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Darko posted:

There aren't any exceptions; death has literally killed everyone in every movie it was after (any surviving cast members die in between movies as shown either by dialogue in the next movie or on DVD extras for the next movie).

Didn't the two main characters of the 2nd one survive?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

qbert posted:

3's DVD special features or something note that they died in a woodchipper accident.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Darko posted:

That seems like a kind of lazy way to kill off characters for the sake of continuity though.

"Bob did you ever slap together that special feature for the DVD?"

"Yeah Tim got it right here."

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003

qbert posted:

Not according the the extras of FD3. They orginally wanted to get the actors for the final scene but they where unavailable.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Slasherfan posted:

Not according the the extras of FD3. They orginally wanted to get the actors for the final scene but they where unavailable.

Yeah that pretty much doesn't count. (Also it's why FD2 is by far the best one)

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Wasn't that the one with the cop and the girl who saw the accident? I wondered what happened to them. I just finished the fourth one because I've never seen the series. Dumb as hell, but it's probably fun to think of really ridiculous death scenes.

"Okay, so this person steps in a puddle of ____, and the wind then blows a _____ into the street nearby, and..."

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Four was the worst of the four. If you only watch one, watch the second one. And watch it with a bunch of people who enjoy these kinds of movies.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yeah, four seemed pretty bad to me. From what I remember, most of the deaths in the "big sequence" were just terrible looking cgi things falling on/in front of people and they just disappear.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

toxick posted:

I watched Insidious last night and was willing to forgive the stupid plot devices introduced in the first hour until the movie went full retard in the last 30 minutes. My god, what a wasted opportunity. And the demon looked terrible. It was much better when they kept him in the shadows.

What were the plot devices introduced in the first hour that were stupid.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

Cage posted:

Yeah, four seemed pretty bad to me. From what I remember, most of the deaths in the "big sequence" were just terrible looking cgi things falling on/in front of people and they just disappear.

Yeah, and to add to that, I don't think dying at a NASCAR rally is a major fear for the average American like plane crashes, car wrecks and roller coasters are (though the roller coaster wasn't very well done either).

2 is by far the best, and the subtle way it slips from horror movie to comedy was magnificent.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Scissorfighter posted:

2 is by far the best, and the subtle way it slips from horror movie to comedy was magnificent.

2 is the best and 4 is the worst, and somehow they have the same director. :confused:

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

qbert posted:

2 is the best and 4 is the worst, and somehow they have the same director. :confused:

I think a lot of it had to do with effects. 2 had some crazy practical gore (They actually built a dummy full of fake blood and guts to smash under the plate glass) but the fakeness of 4's deaths took out a lot of impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What were the plot devices introduced in the first hour that were stupid.

The thing that had me rolling my eyes first was when the medium explained that their son's astral body was being held prisoner in "The Further" and all that. It just got worse from there and the last 30 or 40 minutes destroyed what atmosphere and suspence they'd managed to build (although when they showed the demon's face early on my expectations immediately sank).

Insidious didn't reach A Haunting in Connecticut levels of stupid, but it came close.