Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Do any of the mods in my load order change, like, damage or the defense calculations? It seems everyone is way more bullet spongy than I remember when I played through in Vanilla, though I'm on hard mode now if that's what did it. And in any case, is there a recommended mod to make everyone die in a reasonable amount of shots (Reload)?

Hard mode makes you do 75% of the normal damage (plus enemies do extra damage). That sounds like the likely culprit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Smol posted:

Hard mode makes you do 75% of the normal damage (plus enemies do extra damage). That sounds like the likely culprit.

Is that all hard does? Because gently caress that, if so.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Do any of the mods in my load order change, like, damage or the defense calculations? It seems everyone is way more bullet spongy than I remember when I played through in Vanilla, though I'm on hard mode now if that's what did it. And in any case, is there a recommended mod to make everyone die in a reasonable amount of shots (Reload)?

Also, you might want to look into FOOK. I think it changes some variables (I may be wrong.)

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Is that all hard does? Because gently caress that, if so.

Yeah, the only real effects of changing difficulty are the damage you give and the damage you receive.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Horns posted:

Armory dudes, can you recommend a good ammo crafting mod that has the best compatibility? I like some of the stuff the Alternate Armor System added but didn't really care for the armor changes and new ammo types that went with it. I'm really just looking for something that lets me craft all the vanilla ammo types and doesn't add anything new.

Also, is it OK to use the leveled lists with the Cabinet Add-On?
1) AAS with 2.5 is going to remove its custom ammo lists and ammo types by default with an optional patch to add the new ammo types and recipes. I meant to do that sometime ago but that didn't quite pan out.

2) Yes.

The Lone Badger posted:

For use with the Armory, is there a (mod for a) shop that draws from the same lists as the Gun Runners so having a very broad stock, but doesn't only sell 100% condition weapons? Mint weapons just cost so much.
Mick & Ralph's used to have something like this, but I cut out most of the weapons from their store.

I'm trying to put more of the total weapon stock into store inventories, but the stock game seems awfully picky on exactly what stores would stock from the leveled lists.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 30, 2011

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

I'm pretty sure I've reinstalled Windows since then, but could you tell me what file it is that I need to delete to make sure it's not that?

It's d3d9.dll in the New Vegas folder. Not the \data folder, but the root one with executables and such.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Ignore the first question from my last post, found what I was looking for on a second search. When I wrote that post Nexus was bugging the gently caress out for me, some wires must have gotten crossed somewhere and I missed it the first time (FYI, it's Better Vanilla Ammo Crafting, the most barebones ammo crafting mod I could find).

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Mick & Ralph's used to have something like this, but I cut out most of the weapons from their store.

I'm trying to put more of the total weapon stock into store inventories, but the stock game seems awfully picky on exactly what stores would stock from the leveled lists.
I hope you get this ironed out. It would be really awesome if all the vendors had weapons exclusive to them or carried specific types. Chet would have cheap starter weapons/ammo and much more expensive mid-range weapons for people willing to scrounge up the caps to get an early jump on the more dangerous enemies around the starting area, Powder Ganger vendor (who I didn't even know existed until a few days ago) would have tons of explosives, Dino guy in Novac would probably only have assorted low-level weapons because he isn't primarily a gun vendor, Mick would have crazy expensive black market level poo poo if you got him to show you his special inventory, etc.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
So after about an hour of searching, I'd almost given up on finding a perk mod that doesn't add a bunch of overpowered / broken perks (More Perks) or strangely one-dimensional perks that seem to all focus on improving Guns skill with different requirements (Brutus Rex's Perks). Then I remembered how useful FNVEdit could be, and I went ahead and gutted More Perks down to those that allowed for customization without all of the bullshit baggage.

I removed forty of More Perks' perks. Forty. :aaa:

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's as many as four tens.

But no seriously that's awful. Why does 'more perks' mean 'a bunch of stupid lovely perks'?

(Did you get rid of the stupid "you have a tree growing out of your head" one?)

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Quickman posted:

You'd better not be talking poo poo about my mate Harold (and Bob).

Fallout: Tactics first made it a perk for ghoul characters.

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

I hope you got rid of the secretly overpowered ones like Potato Farmer :ohdear:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So after about an hour of searching, I'd almost given up on finding a perk mod that doesn't add a bunch of overpowered / broken perks (More Perks) or strangely one-dimensional perks that seem to all focus on improving Guns skill with different requirements (Brutus Rex's Perks). Then I remembered how useful FNVEdit could be, and I went ahead and gutted More Perks down to those that allowed for customization without all of the bullshit baggage.

I have to find the ESP that I made with a bunch of perks gathered from the Nexus - pretty much a bunch of perks and traits from the previous games, the universal perks mod from the OP, etc. I'd be curious to see what you kept in More Perks. I felt like it just had way too much poo poo in it.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Did you do anything for the companions and traits as well?

You should share your work with us!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Quickman posted:

That's as many as four tens.

But no seriously that's awful. Why does 'more perks' mean 'a bunch of stupid lovely perks'?

It's pretty ridiculous. I was running with the original "More Perks" for a while until I started reading about a lot of complaints in this thread. Then I started poking around and realized just how broken a lot of the Perks actually were. I kept the "Bonsai" perk simply because of the soft spot I have for Harold (FO2 Harold, not that stupid loving FO3 version.)

Co-sine posted:

I hope you got rid of the secretly overpowered ones like Potato Farmer :ohdear:

Yeah I removed that.

Gyshall posted:

I have to find the ESP that I made with a bunch of perks gathered from the Nexus - pretty much a bunch of perks and traits from the previous games, the universal perks mod from the OP, etc. I'd be curious to see what you kept in More Perks. I felt like it just had way too much poo poo in it.

I think you should do that. I'd love to see a nice, consolidated Perk pack that gives you the ability to craft really unique characters and not broken demi-gods.

This is the notepad list I made as I went down and checked what I wanted to remove:

Art of Pain
Cancerous Growth
Doorbuster > "Explosive Entry" from PN makes this obsolete
Double Slash > Really buggy
Drink to Last!
Dubious Craftsman > Way too easy to exploit
E.P.I.C.
Fading Fingerprints
Famous Survivor
First Thing First > Useless
Fortuitous Warrior > Useless
Ghoulificated Heart > Makes ghouls friendly? Completely broken concept.
Heavily Trained
Heavy Marksmanship
I Hate That Guy!
Inspiring Leader
Jump to Conclusions > Really?
Kleptomaniac Punch > loving STUPID.
Knife in the Shadow > Applies only to specific weapons; coincidentally, the knife is not one of them.
Limb Grinder
Major Achiever
Mutant Hunter
Mutual Attraction > Enemies randomly become my friend? Holy frito bandito!
Nikola's Shockwave
No Time to Think > "Reload guns faster in combat" = Cool. Oh wait, only applies to like launchers, apparently. Great perk description.
One way or Another > Makes grenade launcher headshots "lethal"...aren't they already?
Outsmarting Booletz
Pathfinder > Move 5% faster indoors! WTF?
Peer Pressured > Meant for Unlimited Companions; don't have
Persistent Manner
Pipboy Upgrade > Broken
Potato Farmer > Too easy to exploit, broken.
Professional Courier
Repair Master > Alternative Repair system
Run Like the Wind! > PN makes this obsolete
Sense of Emergency
Sharpshooter
Shells for Shelly
Smooth Criminal
Special Ops
Steel Behind Suits > Craft Power Armor out of pre-war clothing? WTF?
Turret Expert

TOTAL CUT: 42

Siljmonster posted:

Did you do anything for the companions and traits as well?

You should share your work with us!

I haven't done any of that. I'm actually really non-plussed by the More Traits pack, which introduces absolutely asinine gems such as:

quote:

"You've been vilified by the major factions of the Mojave. Because of this, you now have 2 raider companions" and

"When you are eating, your overall damage is increased by 10%. However, when you are not eating, you take 10% more damage."

I use Expanded Traits instead.

God, this has been one big, goony, spergy post. Sorry about that.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Well worth the sperg though: I'm always wary about mods for the simple fact that people tend to sneak in overpowered bullshit with otherwise good content.

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

God, this has been one big, goony, spergy post. Sorry about that.

I disagree. Would you mind sharing your esp (or whatever it is)? It would be easier for me and anybody else interested to just not have to deal with these silly perks rather than having to read through every one to make sure you don't get a game breaking one.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Lemonpieman posted:

I disagree. Would you mind sharing your esp (or whatever it is)? It would be easier for me and anybody else interested to just not have to deal with these silly perks rather than having to read through every one to make sure you don't get a game breaking one.

Sure, I'll edit this post with it once I package it together.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 30, 2011

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Sure, I'll edit this post with it once I package it together.

Could you do the same with Manual Reload? I like PN2.1, but I needs my manual reload.

EDIT: VVVV Awesome, thanks a lot.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 30, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

My revised version of More Perks *I attached a list of what I kept and what I didn't, with some explanations for what I cut. I know there are a few perks I should have probably kept, and undoubtedly there will be differences of opinion on what I've done. But hopefully you guys enjoy the 34 I left untouched!

ALSO: If you aren't happy with what I've done, you at least have my list to go off of for paring down your own More Perks mod. Simply download More Perks from the Nexus, open up the .esm and .esp in FNVEdit, pick PERKS from the expanding menu for each plugin, and right-click / remove those perks that you don't want. Save, and enjoy.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Could you do the same with Manual Reload? I like PN2.1, but I needs my manual reload.

Manual Reload for NVSE 2.0 *Like I said before, I just gutted some of the script without really knowing what I was doing. Sort of like Orc-logic, it worked because I wished hard enough.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 30, 2011

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So uh, I installed the following mod:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=41480

I followed ALL the poorly written directions to the letter, used the installer like it said, and then when I went into FO3 from New Vegas the game looked like this:

Is there anyone out there who could provide me with proper instructions? That being, ones that actually make sense. I tried looking online for solutions but it's pretty much exclusively people complaining about the same problem.

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My revised version of More Perks *I attached a list of what I kept and what I didn't, with some explanations for what I cut. I know there are a few perks I should have probably kept, and undoubtedly there will be differences of opinion on what I've done. But hopefully you guys enjoy the 34 I left untouched!

ALSO: If you aren't happy with what I've done, you at least have my list to go off of for paring down your own More Perks mod. Simply download More Perks from the Nexus, open up the .esm and .esp in FNVEdit, pick PERKS from the expanding menu for each plugin, and right-click / remove those perks that you don't want. Save, and enjoy.

Manual Reload for NVSE 2.0 *Like I said before, I just gutted some of the script without really knowing what I was doing. Sort of like Orc-logic, it worked because I wished hard enough.

Thanks!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nevermind my above message, I installed one version lower instead of the current one and now it works perfectly! :toot:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I'm really curious as to what the hell Potato Farmer does?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

So uh, I installed the following mod:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=41480

I followed ALL the poorly written directions to the letter, used the installer like it said, and then when I went into FO3 from New Vegas the game looked like this:

Is there anyone out there who could provide me with proper instructions? That being, ones that actually make sense. I tried looking online for solutions but it's pretty much exclusively people complaining about the same problem.

I can't help you with your bigger problem, but I excel at little problems. Looking at your HUD, it seems that you're probably using DarnUI but haven't modified your fallout_default.ini to accommodate the new font changes. You might want to check out the readme again.

If you ARE using DarnUI, go into your Fallout New Vegas folder, open up fallout_default.ini, search for keyword "fonts", and paste this over the original font files:

;sFontFile_1=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_Large.fnt
sFontFile_1=Textures\Fonts\DarN_FranKleinBold_14.fnt
;sFontFile_2=Textures\Fonts\Monofonto_Large.fnt
sFontFile_2=Textures\Fonts\DarN_FranKleinBold_16.fnt
sFontFile_3=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_Medium.fnt
;sFontFile_4=Textures\Fonts\Monofonto_VeryLarge02_Dialogs2.fnt
;sFontFile_4=Textures\Fonts\DarN_FranKleinBold_Otl_12.fnt
sFontFile_4=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_10.fnt
sFontFile_5=Textures\Fonts\Fixedsys_Comp_uniform_width.fnt
;sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Monofonto_VL_dialogs.fnt
;sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\DarN_PetitaMedium_Outline_18.fnt
;sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Forgotten_Futurist_Otl_18.fnt
sFontFile_6=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_13.fnt
;sFontFile_7=Textures\Fonts\Baked-in_Monofonto_Large.fnt
sFontFile_7=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Libel_Suit_Otl_24.fnt
;sFontFile_7=Textures\Fonts\DarN_Klill_Outline_20.fnt
sFontFile_8=Textures\Fonts\Glow_Futura_Caps_Large.fnt
sFontFile_9=Textures\Fonts\NVFont_Test.fnt

Chief Savage Man posted:

I'm really curious as to what the hell Potato Farmer does?

From the perk readme:
"You have come to the realization that some enemies carry more explosives than others. From now on, you can loot more grenades and mines from fallen enemies."

Basically you have a +35% chance to find explosives on enemies. That's a really, really high probability. You'll be finding explosives on loving everything.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, I just fixed the DarnUI problem, I figured it was because of the [fonts] thing. If only there was some way to make it do that automatically. Ah, well.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Concerning quad barrel shotguns, the one from Phantasm 4 is the best :colbert:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/phantasm-shotgun-prop-26468/

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

From the perk readme:
"You have come to the realization that some enemies carry more explosives than others. From now on, you can loot more grenades and mines from fallen enemies."

Basically you have a +35% chance to find explosives on enemies. That's a really, really high probability. You'll be finding explosives on loving everything.

You already find a shitload of grenades on most enemies. My underground hideout is sitting between Novac and HELIOS One. I went out on a walk yesterday toward Nipton. By the time I reached the empty city, I poo poo you not, I had 38 grenades from various Legion and Viper encounters. I left the hideout with zero.

I'm starting to get curious just how much the leveled lists break once you get above level 30. Especially if you start getting north of 50. At 39, even the Vipers and Legion Recruits are starting to get some pretty interesting equipment. Stuff like Desert Eagles, katanas, and other mid-high end stuff from The Armory.

I do find it a little entertaining, however, that the Legionnaires that use melee exclusively are coming loaded down with two or three different types of ammo, usually 10mm, 5.56, and either 9mm or .22 LR.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Best perk is the one that makes your guns ignore DT on any enemy with less intelligence than you.

(All of them, if your INT is at 10)

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 1, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

SourceElement posted:

You already find a shitload of grenades on most enemies. My underground hideout is sitting between Novac and HELIOS One. I went out on a walk yesterday toward Nipton. By the time I reached the empty city, I poo poo you not, I had 38 grenades from various Legion and Viper encounters. I left the hideout with zero.

I'm starting to get curious just how much the leveled lists break once you get above level 30. Especially if you start getting north of 50. At 39, even the Vipers and Legion Recruits are starting to get some pretty interesting equipment. Stuff like Desert Eagles, katanas, and other mid-high end stuff from The Armory.

I do find it a little entertaining, however, that the Legionnaires that use melee exclusively are coming loaded down with two or three different types of ammo, usually 10mm, 5.56, and either 9mm or .22 LR.

Is that the Armory that has such generous level lists, or another mod you're running? I'm playing PN 2.1 with some pretty mean loot rarities and I consistently run out of ammo for my guns on long expeditions if I don't hit up a couple of vendors for all of the .357, .44, and .45/70 they've got (also I usually only find a couple of rounds on each kill.)

Vertigus posted:

Best perk is the one that makes your guns ignore DT on any enemy with less intelligence than you.

(All of them, if you're INT is at 10)

Which Perk pack does this come from? I didn't find it when I was gutting More Perks, but I remember somebody mentioning it and I wanted to see it with my own eyes. ST Traits and Perks? (That's such a goddamned stupid perk, though.)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SourceElement posted:

Melee legionaries containing ammo isn't really supposed to happen nor has happened during my wacky "break everything" testing methods. Is another mod doing this?

Everyone except NCR troops are supposed to get high-level weaponry as you advance in level, though.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Which Perk pack does this come from? I didn't find it when I was gutting More Perks, but I remember somebody mentioning it and I wanted to see it with my own eyes. ST Traits and Perks? (That's such a goddamned stupid perk, though.)

I think it was More Perks, since that's the only one I used. Maybe it was an older version?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Vertigus posted:

I think it was More Perks, since that's the only one I used. Maybe it was an older version?

If it was More Perks, it definitely got the boot in the latest versions. I can see why.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It very well might be rePopulated Wasteland or IWS affecting the leveled lists. Though in every case, The Armory should be winning any conflicts that arise. I'll try re-adjusting my load order to force PN and The Armory to load later and see what happens.

I honestly forget I have those mods (rPW and IWS) installed.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, I just fixed the DarnUI problem, I figured it was because of the [fonts] thing. If only there was some way to make it do that automatically. Ah, well.

I don't use the mod that has been released for it but I have some experience trying to load Fallout 3 in New Vegas. It looks to me like you haven't properly registered fallout 3's BSAs to the New Vegas .ini. If you are launching through the steam launcher then you want to make sure that you are editing fallout_default.ini in your new vegas folder, and if not then the fallout.ini in your my documents folder will suffice.

The fallout3 BSA files need to be registered to the section that says SArchiveList in order for the missing meshes to show up. There is almost certainly a portion of that mod's documentation that should tell you the order to put them in, so try looking for it and get back to me if you are still having problems. If you cannot find the order, just stick them in somewhere at the end and see if that works.

SheepNameKiller fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 1, 2011

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Has anyone tried some of the other Lucky 38 suite modifications? The one in the OP is nice, but hasn't really been updated in forever. There's no automatic sorter, and companions get stuck in the navmesh. I was thinking to move everything out of there and try different ones, so if someone can recommend one with more features, it'd give me a place to start. Otherwise I'll just try them one by one, I guess.

Edit:
vvvvvv
Yeah, I was looking at Reloaded among other things -- I was wondering if anyone had good or bad experiences with it, cause schlepping all this stuff out and into different modded suites isn't exactly a fast process. There are some negative-ish comments on Nexus, but it's Nexus.

Jan fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 1, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Jan posted:

Has anyone tried some of the other Lucky 38 suite modifications? The one in the OP is nice, but hasn't really been updated in forever. There's no automatic sorter, and companions get stuck in the navmesh. I was thinking to move everything out of there and try different ones, so if someone can recommend one with more features, it'd give me a place to start. Otherwise I'll just try them one by one, I guess.

Might I suggest Lucky 38 Expansion Expanded? Or Lucky 38 Reloaded?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Welp...

Level 13.
Hard difficulty; Hardcore.
I have a Trait that gave me +1 to Strength, Endurance, and Agility in exchange for all chems and consumables being only half as effective (Stimpaks heal ~18 HP.)
Project Nevada Food and Ammo rarity 10% (extreme), food doesn't heal, and Alternative Repair prevents me from scrapping weapons on the fly...I need repair kits for that.
Dead Money.

This is what separates the men from the boys. :clint:

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 1, 2011

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Welp...

Level 13.
Hard difficulty; Hardcore.
I have a Trait that gave me +1 to Strength, Endurance, and Agility in exchange for all chems and consumables being only half as effective (Stimpaks heal ~18 HP.)
Project Nevada Food and Ammo rarity 10% (extreme), food doesn't heal, and Alternative Repair prevents me from scrapping weapons on the fly...I need repair kits for that.
Dead Money.

This is what separates the men from the boys. :clint:

Unless both your legs and head are crippled and you're out of stimpacks I'm not impressed :colbert:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Quick heads up: Project Nevada just got set to hidden on the Nexus. Could possibly be that the team's releasing 2.1.

Hopefully that means the WMX compatibility patch will be turning up too. :dance:

EDIT: Yep, the updates page is saying that a file's been uploaded.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 1, 2011

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Unless both your legs and head are crippled and you're out of stimpacks I'm not impressed :colbert:

In hardcore stimpacks dont heal crippled limbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Anyone looking for more quest mods to try, have you seen this new one, the New Vegas Trade Center? From the description and screenshots it doesn't look half bad.