Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

dyn posted:

Honestly, the higher you go up the more serious the gameplay it becomes and the more douchey players become. You will get slashed, hooked, and crosschecked even more than the level you're at now.
This is the god's truth. Also, even if you're playing in a Tuesday night beer league, there will always be at least one guy (or in some cases, an entire team) that is clearly trying far more than everyone else. This same person will play like a dick the entire game, but the minute you put the body on him, he'll whine like a little bitch. Ugh.

Anyone have advice on how to pseudo-sterilize a chest protector? I apparently have tinea versicolor, and I suspect that my gear is to blame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
We won our 4th game in a row last night which makes us the undefeated leaders of the league. The only thing that sucks is that the rest of the season pits us up against some pretty weak teams and although its fun to win, its not a lot of fun winning against teams that don't really pose a threat. After our 9-3 victory (easily could have been 20-3), we went out for beers and talked about moving up to a more difficult league since its clear that our team is one of the better teams in the silver division.

We're 4-0 (of 7 games in the season before playoffs), sitting in 1st place, with 49 GF and 19 GA.

Aggro posted:

Anyone have advice on how to pseudo-sterilize a chest protector? I apparently have tinea versicolor, and I suspect that my gear is to blame.

Alcohol bath? Set it in the sun to fry? Not too sure, if they're incredibly ancient maybe its time for new gear.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!
Ozone chamber? My local skate shop has an ozone chamber big enough for a couple full sets of gear.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

After 11 days in shipment from MN, my :siren: bumblebee gloves :siren: are finally in the Bay Area. I leave the country on Friday, so USPS better get their poo poo together and hurry up and get them to Sac.

So close yet so far.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
Finally scored. Finally. It was garbage in the front of the net but still, feels good man. We won 4-0 and my line scored 3 of the 4 goals. I felt bad though because we had 12 skaters and the other team had 8 skaters. They were dead tired by the end.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

bewbies posted:

Their team got all uppity about it (one of my pickup buddies gave me a nice cross check in the back), so we jawed at each other a bit, and I got a minor for checking, and was pushed away towards the penalty box.

This will happen any time you hit a guy in a non-checking league. At least it should happen, unless the other team doesn't have any balls. I wouldn't put up with anyone hitting another member of my team in a non-hit league. But I'm all teamy like that.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
My team won my last game by 10 goals. With a few seconds left, their goalie came way out to contest a 50-50 puck. My teammate cleanly got there first, took the puck around their goalie, and shot it in from almost no angle along the boards. The other team's hothead defender absolutely crushed him against the boards behind the net a few seconds after the puck went in.

No one did anything. The defender got immediately thrown out, but no one retaliated on either side. I couldn't believe it.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Crossposting here but I think you forward types might find some value how goalie feels/plays. These are vids of me playing, first with the GoPro attached to my mask and the 2nd in the back of the net. I'll be uploading more and more stuff on my youtube page and might even have some of the forwards wear it from time to time.

This first vid I'm at an elite invite camp with some of the UofM Gophers at least one of which played in the world juniors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2ApQk_Hh_4

This second vid is a decently skilled invite skate I do every Monday night in the summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9CeaLbGxc0

Let me know what you guys think, I'll post vids in this thread from time to time if you're interested. I probably wont be doing any more helmet cams as goalie though, kinda clunky and not terribly valuable when it comes to improving my play.

titanium fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 29, 2011

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Those are some pretty high quality videos. I liked seeing the helmet cam. I always wondered how easy it was to see pucks coming at a goalie.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!

ManicJason posted:

My team won my last game by 10 goals. With a few seconds left, their goalie came way out to contest a 50-50 puck. My teammate cleanly got there first, took the puck around their goalie, and shot it in from almost no angle along the boards. The other team's hothead defender absolutely crushed him against the boards behind the net a few seconds after the puck went in.

No one did anything. The defender got immediately thrown out, but no one retaliated on either side. I couldn't believe it.

This is absolute bullshit. I would have ran right at the guy for doing something like that.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

ManicJason posted:

I play on two teams and one of them is my friends mom's friends team so we have some older females on the team. In the same period this guy ran my friend into the boards and dropped my friends mom to the ice with a crosscheck from behind. She said it was happening all game and decided that she would sit out the rest of the game because she was scared of the guy... I dropped him to the ice my next shift and got yelled by the captain for doing it:smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So I'm perusing local rinks looking for a good learn-to-play program, and end up on this page:

http://www.allseasonsicerinks.com/brochures.html

Seems like a pretty normal list of brochures.. hey, why's there an embedded youtube here? I think I'll click play.

:stare:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

poser posted:

I play on two teams and one of them is my friends mom's friends team so we have some older females on the team. In the same period this guy ran my friend into the boards and dropped my friends mom to the ice with a crosscheck from behind. She said it was happening all game and decided that she would sit out the rest of the game because she was scared of the guy... I dropped him to the ice my next shift and got yelled by the captain for doing it:smith:

Your captain is a pussy.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

xzzy posted:

So I'm perusing local rinks looking for a good learn-to-play program, and end up on this page:

http://www.allseasonsicerinks.com/brochures.html

Seems like a pretty normal list of brochures.. hey, why's there an embedded youtube here? I think I'll click play.

:stare:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hey Topoisomerase, our team just started talking about our roster for next season today. From the sounds of it, we're gonna continue in Bronze A, and try to form a Silver B team as well. If you guys don't move up next season, please take it easy on us, we suck!

We've had Saturday/Sunday night games for the past couple weeks to make up for Memorial Day / Fourth of July weekends, and we pretty much all decided that playing 2 games a week is much more fun than one game a week and a stick time.

Now I just have to figure out if I want to pay double league fees and give up my Friday and Sunday nights...

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

cenzo posted:

Finally -- I did ask the guys that I just started playing with about wheels... they told me just to piss on my wheels to make them more sticky. Has anyone heard of this, or am I being trolled? Pretty sure no matter what I won't be doing this, but it was worth asking.

Just clean them.

Also I still stand by Labeda Grippers, or Millenium Grippers.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

titanium posted:

This first vid I'm at an elite invite camp with some of the UofM Gophers at least one of which played in the world juniors.
Hahaha like 50% of those shots go high and wide, judging by the sound of the glass. Picking corners :argh:

titanium posted:

This second vid is a decently skilled invite skate I do every Monday night in the summer.
Couple of questions:
Did you start as a goalie or did you make the switch from a skater position?
If you were a skater, was it a weird adjustment getting used to the skates?
Is it fun to go sliding around all willy nilly? That second vid looks like a blast.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Pleads posted:

Hahaha like 50% of those shots go high and wide, judging by the sound of the glass. Picking corners :argh:

Couple of questions:
Did you start as a goalie or did you make the switch from a skater position?
If you were a skater, was it a weird adjustment getting used to the skates?
Is it fun to go sliding around all willy nilly? That second vid looks like a blast.

A lot of the time they're shooting for corners but I'm deflecting them up and over or to the side. I felt bad because at times I was sending the pucks right at guys in line to run the drill.

I've been playing keep since the 2nd grade. My current style didnt take shape till about 3 years ago, before that I played a Hasek'ish oldschool style. It really does feel good to get a big push and rob someone down low but theres some cleaning up to do in my butterfly slides in that I shouldnt use it as the only recovery method.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:hellyeah:

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:hellyeah:

Oh man those are sexy...I think I got a woody.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!
So.. we have this guy on our team who plays D and he sucks, we hes not terrible but he is playing a few levels too high right now. He misses a lot of games and those seem to be the games we win and we always lose when he plays and he is on ice for most of the goals against.

Would I be an rear end in a top hat if I asked him not to return?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

If he seems like he doesn't belong in the league, then yeah, you can ask him to find a lower-level league to play in. If he's just the worst guy on the team, but otherwise is in the right league, then idunno...I guess it's your call.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

poser posted:

So.. we have this guy on our team who plays D and he sucks, we hes not terrible but he is playing a few levels too high right now. He misses a lot of games and those seem to be the games we win and we always lose when he plays and he is on ice for most of the goals against.

It's a beer league, so yes.

Dangerllama posted:

If he seems like he doesn't belong in the league, then yeah, you can ask him to find a lower-level league to play in. If he's just the worst guy on the team, but otherwise is in the right league, then idunno...I guess it's your call.

actually, this instead. :3:

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

poser posted:

have you tried offering pointers or to work with him?

i think it more depends on his attitude. if he's actively trying to get better, then i think you need to deal with him being bad and trying to better himself.

but then again if he's trying to play multiple levels too high, or doesn't actually care, you might want to pull him aside and say a lower level division might be best for everyone's enjoyment.

if thinking about it makes you feel genuinely like poo poo, i think you already know the answer.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

cenzo posted:

have you tried offering pointers or to work with him?

i think it more depends on his attitude. if he's actively trying to get better, then i think you need to deal with him being bad and trying to better himself.

but then again if he's trying to play multiple levels too high, or doesn't actually care, you might want to pull him aside and say a lower level division might be best for everyone's enjoyment.

if thinking about it makes you feel genuinely like poo poo, i think you already know the answer.

Yeah... I cant do it. He is nice and trying to get better and I'm fine with it but our goalie gets mad.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

On the one hand, I don't think people should take a beer league so seriously. On the other, I've played on teams with guys that are frustratingly bad and can understand why people get pissed. If he doesn't belong at that level, he shouldn't be there and I'd tell him. But if he is at the right level, tell people to chill the gently caress out and work with him so long as he's trying his hardest.

If he's not at the right level, I doubt he's having much fun anyways.

oddIXIbbo
Feb 25, 2009

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Gio posted:

On the one hand, I don't think people should take a beer league so seriously. On the other, I've played on teams with guys that are frustratingly bad and can understand why people get pissed. If he doesn't belong at that level, he shouldn't be there and I'd tell him. But if he is at the right level, tell people to chill the gently caress out and work with him so long as he's trying his hardest.

If he's not at the right level, I doubt he's having much fun anyways.

Gio, You interested in Suburban on Friday night, 8:30? putting some guys together.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Hey San Jose types (poser, Henrik) I landed a job and I'll be moving out there in the next few weeks.

I'm rehabbing a pretty bad groin injury but if you need a player I'd love to jump on board.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

oddIXIbbo posted:

Gio, You interested in Suburban on Friday night, 8:30? putting some guys together.
It might be tough cause of work, but I'd love to yeah. What's your e-mail again? I'll let you know by this coming Tuesday for certain.

Do they still have the saturday skate, or did their schedule for the summer completely change?

e: are you just renting the ice out yourself? cause saturday night is way better and something I can easily commit to.

Gio fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 30, 2011

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

edit: wrong thread

shyduck fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 30, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Chemmy posted:

Hey San Jose types (poser, Henrik) I landed a job and I'll be moving out there in the next few weeks.

I'm rehabbing a pretty bad groin injury but if you need a player I'd love to jump on board.

A spot on my team for a job :)

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

shyguy posted:

http://bit.ly/jMYx7d

Some shitheel "Flyers" fan is a little bit too :qq: over the trades that he's auctioning off his fanhood on eBay
This fucker will probably be the first person at the parade if we're to win a Cup again. Fucker.

That's so weird. I mean, Philly fans are world-famous for not being complete and utter asshats.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Difficult decision: should I go to pickup tonight?

Pro:
I have a new toy to play with (new stick)
It is really fun
I haven't exercised at all since Sunday due to injury as dicussed below and it is driving me crazy

Con:
I hurt my back a month ago and it still hurts
I may have implied to my girlfriend that I'd go out with her tonight

Pro:
If I go tonight I'll have a week and a half to rest the back thanks to the holiday weekend

Con:
If I go tonight it'll probably reset the back situation to "injured" from "sort of sore"

WHAT TO DO

bewbies fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 30, 2011

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
what it really boils down to is:

play hockey vs. don't play hockey

when you break things down to their simplest parts, it makes decisions easy and fun to make :eng101:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

On that note, I'm currently rehabbing a knee injury...of sorts. It's been really sore for a couple days after every time I skate for a few months now, and my range of motion on the ice has been limited a bit--mostly due to apprehension than anything else, I think. It's not so much soreness as it is a "tweak" in the knee. In other words, it depends on how I move the knee, what kind of pressure is put on the knee etc. that makes it hurt.

ANYWAYS, long story short, had an MRI, turns out there is no tissue damage BUT my whatever-the-hell-the-kneecap-aligns-with is shallow so the kneecap goes from side to side outside of its "groove". My doctor ended up recommending this workout facility (that he goes to)--it's in a warehouse and looks like a training facility--that costs a decent amount of money ($125/month) for as many guided group workouts a week I want. Because I honestly don't have a clue how to workout myself, I've started doing that to help strengthen those muscles around the kneecap--or whatever the hell!--so that I don't have this problem anymore.

I've worked out there a couple times already and it's pretty awesome, but...they wanted me to sign a contract with my credit card number and bank account number on there. I told the guy who runs the place, I'm not going to sign anything of the sort but I'd love to be there, and he--very quickly--said I could pay cash. I mean, awesome, but I'm kind of insulted you tried to get me to sign it in the first place? Kinda shady, but I'm smart enough to avoid the pitfalls. As long as I'm not on the books with any contract and paying out of pocket, I feel I'll get my monies worth.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

poser posted:

A spot on my team for a job :)

What do you do?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

bewbies posted:

I may have implied to my girlfriend that I'd go out with her tonight

Aaannnd...scene.

Gio posted:

My doctor ended up recommending this workout facility (that he goes to)--it's in a warehouse and looks like a training facility--that costs a decent amount of money ($125/month) for as many guided group workouts a week I want.

Is this a cross-fit place by chance?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jun 30, 2011

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

Chemmy posted:

What do you do?

Nothing worth a job :(

I have a worthless degree (marketing/social media stuff)and its depressing.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Is this a cross-fit place by chance?
Yeah. Cause I'm a student he cut me a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to get back to campus and start playing pickup there again. I think I've gotten much, much better this summer so it will be fun to go and play with all the guys that saw me at my very worst again.

Chemmy posted:

What do you do?

How does it feel to have goons continually begging you for work?