Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Hamburglar posted:

Thanks. Going to take your advice and use Remix. I guess because it isn't using Gingerbread is the reason you don't need to change the radio. Supposedly the MR2 radio is good, but I would like to "officially" get it rather than cram it in there. I know GB should be out for this phone soon from Verizon, but I like waiting for the official ones to come out before downloading hacked variations.

Same here, I'm tempted to go for this and not flash a radio update I feel hinky about.

Is this still a sensible method to roll back if I want? It looks like this would stomp the shipping radio, bootloader, recovery, etc over whatever's on there but I want to be sure.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/03/26/tutorial-how-to-un-root-the-htc-thunderbolt-and-return-it-to-stock/

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Red_Fred posted:

Okay I got S-Off (finally) and I flashed the new HBOOT partition and restored my nandroid backup that I made before this. However I'm getting crazy force closes and all sorts when I get in. This has been mentioned before but I can't remember the fix, it's to do with my app settings right?

Should I just wipe and start again? It seems this has kinda happened anyway.

Is the radio working? I got some forceclose loops on mine but it was kernel panicks from needing a new radio flash

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Flashed CM7 on my Droid X uneventfully, and it is 100% holy poo poo improvement over stock/other Droid X "roms". I miss Swype though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nostrum posted:

Flashed CM7 on my Droid X uneventfully, and it is 100% holy poo poo improvement over stock/other Droid X "roms". I miss Swype though.

Install the beta then?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Nostrum posted:

http://beta.swype.com/

edit: Maybe I should give cm7 another go. HRm.

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus

Nostrum posted:

Is the camera working yet? That's the only thing holding me back at this point.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Farking Bastage posted:

Is the radio working? I got some forceclose loops on mine but it was kernel panicks from needing a new radio flash

I think the radio is fine. I did a complete wipe and just loaded back in apps + settings with Titanium backup and all seems fine now with 230mb free internally!

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Nupraptor posted:

There are plenty of flashable zips available to fix the camera but I think they are based off of Motorola files so they aren't included in CM7 nightlies.

Scinon
Jul 23, 2006
Now with 2% more atoms!
Just flashed CM7.1.0-RC1-N1 on my Nexus One and everything looks good except the Bluetooth. The radio is 32.41.00.32U_5.08.00.04. For some reason it will not enable like on the stock ROM. I click the Bluetooth button in Wireless and network settings and it greys out like it is enabling but will just uncheck the button and Bluetooth will not work. In a log app the system logs "E/bluedroid(172): bt_enable: Timeout waiting for HCI device to come up". Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Huh, clearing bluetooth share cache fixed it for some reason.

Scinon fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 29, 2011

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I'm a noob who just rooted my phone, whats a really good rom for my samsung vibrant?

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Nupraptor posted:

Same here, I need my Camcorder functionality as well. But if I can just flash it with zips, I think I might jump.

On a different note though, would I still have to SBF back to Froyo to get to CM7? I wouldn't want to do this, since I'm on GB (Liberty 0.7, specifically).

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Dancing Peasant posted:

Same here, I need my Camcorder functionality as well. But if I can just flash it with zips, I think I might jump.

On a different note though, would I still have to SBF back to Froyo to get to CM7? I wouldn't want to do this, since I'm on GB (Liberty 0.7, specifically).

TBH/p3droid posted an all-in-one "monster" zip that will put you in CM7 from any firmware. Worked for be the one time I tried it.

Edit: vvvv yeah I can't speak to the stability of using this method. My X reboots constantly on the FroYo kernel so I can't use CM7. The official way is to SBF which really isn't much more difficult especially if you have the Linux-bootable-script thing.

jfreder fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 29, 2011

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Dancing Peasant posted:

An SBF is probably your best bet. There is anecdotal evidence that there is some instability when installing the nightlies after you've done the "monster" zip install.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Got my new Thunderbolt yesterday, rooted it, installed das BAMF 2.1 with the MR2 radio and man the speedup difference is astounding over stock. The Incredible was noticeably faster when I went to CM7 over stock, but this is like a different phone.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Well, after deciding that I really don't need my phones camera that badly, and that I can always use a patch or fastburst or something to have something, I'm installing cyanogenmod on my droid X :toot:.

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus

Mr. Despair posted:

Well, after deciding that I really don't need my phones camera that badly, and that I can always use a patch or fastburst or something to have something, I'm installing cyanogenmod on my droid X :toot:.
Please do report back.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

DigitalMocking posted:

Got my new Thunderbolt yesterday, rooted it, installed das BAMF 2.1 with the MR2 radio and man the speedup difference is astounding over stock. The Incredible was noticeably faster when I went to CM7 over stock, but this is like a different phone.

I did the same thing this afternoon. I have't noticed a speed difference but it does seem like my battery life is a little better for sure.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
When the Desire finally gets Gingerbread, is it likely that the update will block unrevoked and other current root methods? I ask because I want to root but I also want to run official ROM, and as I understand it, accepting an OTA on a rooted phone will either unroot, fail, or cause major problems.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Seven Round Things posted:

When the Desire finally gets Gingerbread, is it likely that the update will block unrevoked and other current root methods? I ask because I want to root but I also want to run official ROM, and as I understand it, accepting an OTA on a rooted phone will either unroot, fail, or cause major problems.

There will be a rootable OTA rom out within a few hours of the official drop. You won't be able to receive it as OTA, you'll flash it like anyother rom, and it will be identical asside from having root.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Nupraptor posted:

Please do report back.

It's working better for me than the first version. Everything seems smooth and fast, gps works great. Haven't tried phone or mms, but those are both supposed to work fine now (who uses their phone to make calls, anyways?).

Right not my only real issue with it is the whole "swipe to get rid of notifications", it just doesn't seem to work well for me. Looks cool when it works, but the blur style X button was faster and more reliable. Also as I'm typing this I'm not seeing any place to calibrate the compass, so google sky is a bit gimped for now.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

deong posted:

There will be a rootable OTA rom out within a few hours of the official drop. You won't be able to receive it as OTA, you'll flash it like anyother rom, and it will be identical asside from having root.
Will the flash preserve data like the OTA does, and is flashing it more risky than accepting an OTA? (I am somewhat paranoid about bricking my phone somehow.)

My preferred course of action would thus be to update OTA and then root once on Gingerbread, but I have been reading that manufacturers have begun to block root attempts with their 2.3 updates. For what it's worth, my device is completely unbranded.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Will the flash preserve data like the OTA does, and is flashing it more risky than accepting an OTA? (I am somewhat paranoid about bricking my phone somehow.)

My preferred course of action would thus be to update OTA and then root once on Gingerbread, but I have been reading that manufacturers have begun to block root attempts with their 2.3 updates. For what it's worth, my device is completely unbranded.
It would preserve data but if you're rooted, there's no reason you wouldn't have both a nandroid in case something goes wrong and Titanium Backup so you could wipe everything and restore just the app data once you have a fresh install so things might likely go more smoothly. In other words, I'd root now rather than later.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LastInLine posted:

It would preserve data but if you're rooted, there's no reason you wouldn't have both a nandroid in case something goes wrong and Titanium Backup so you could wipe everything and restore just the app data once you have a fresh install so things might likely go more smoothly. In other words, I'd root now rather than later.

This.
There is not point to hold off on root. If your wanting to do it, do it. Nothing will change. They may try harder to prevent root in the future, they'll fail. It's never a shock that XDA got their hands on the OTA pre release, root it, and release it before its official even.

The only way you will brick is by not paying attention and pushing files that are for the wrong device. Read your poo poo, you'll be fine. As an extra precaution, just read the XDA thread if you can stomach it. Read the first 2 then jump to the middle or whatever, and check the last page. If there are over whelming complaints, pick another rom/thread. Likely you'll see a lot of "10 character" posts (or did that stop finally?} meaning your good to go.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Also learn the recovery mode key combo to get you out of a bootloop, that's a big help.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
I had a couple of people ask me about this directly, so here's a breakdown of how to root your shiny new thunderbolt. Its pretty simple, but there are a lot of different threads on it various places and it can get a little confusing.

First you have to get the android SDK installed, then get it to recognize your thunderbolt. Follow the instructions to get the SDK to see your tbolt here: http://www.thunderboltforums.com/forum/htc-thunderbolt-development/315-android-sdk-adb-driver.html

Then follow this posting: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=996616
Do every step, check every MD5 sum, when you're done, you have your stock phone, but rooted now.

After that what I did was grab rom manager from the market, flashed clockwork mod, then proceeded to pick a ROM, Radio and Kernel. ROM and kernel were all done from CWM, not in Rom Manager. Radio is flashed from Hboot, the xda thread explains how.

I went with das BAMF 2.1 standard from XDA-Developers for my ROM. IMPORTANT: In CWM make sure you do a complete clear/format before installing your ROM, you can't brick your phone with it, but your new ROM won't work, it'll just hang halfway through booting. (Trust me on this :p)

This required a radio flash to MR2 or MR2.5, I went with MR2 after talking to some folks in IRC. When you flash the radio and ROM make sure to check and doublecheck those MD5s. IMPORTANT: Make sure you check and doublecheck your MD5 because flashing the radio CAN brick your phone if you flash a corrupted download.

Last step was flashing a new kernel from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1086518

That should do it!

Battery life has been greatly improved for me, responsiveness is way better than stock. I'm losing about 3%/hour right now on my stock battery vs 7% an hour prior.

disclaimer: You brick your phone, your dog dies, whatever, Not my doing :p

DigitalMocking fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 30, 2011

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003
Evo3D rooting news, no root yet but the guys who brought 4G and HDMI to Cyanogenmod for the Evo 4G posted this:

quote:

#teamwin is at it again! We just found an bug in the #evo3d which should allow us to a rooting exploit! Stay tuned!!!

Don't take any OTA until further notice, you may patch this hole.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

DigitalMocking posted:

Whats up BAMF 2.1 thunderbolt buddy! It's a beast of a device fully unlocked. I still ended up putting a 3700 mAh extended battery on it though.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

DigitalMocking posted:

I had a couple of people ask me about this directly, so here's a breakdown of how to root your shiny new thunderbolt. Its pretty simple, but there are a lot of different threads on it various places and it can get a little confusing.

First you have to get the android SDK installed, then get it to recognize your thunderbolt. Follow the instructions to get the SDK to see your tbolt here: http://www.thunderboltforums.com/forum/htc-thunderbolt-development/315-android-sdk-adb-driver.html

Then follow this posting: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=996616
Do every step, check every MD5 sum, when you're done, you have your stock phone, but rooted now.

After that what I did was grab rom manager from the market, flashed clockwork mod, then proceeded to pick a ROM, Radio and Kernel. ROM and kernel were all done from CWM, not in Rom Manager. Radio is flashed from Hboot, the xda thread explains how.

I went with das BAMF 2.1 standard from XDA-Developers for my ROM. IMPORTANT: In CWM make sure you do a complete clear/format before installing your ROM, you can't brick your phone with it, but your new ROM won't work, it'll just hang halfway through booting. (Trust me on this :p)

This required a radio flash to MR2 or MR2.5, I went with MR2 after talking to some folks in IRC. When you flash the radio and ROM make sure to check and doublecheck those MD5s. IMPORTANT: Make sure you check and doublecheck your MD5 because flashing the radio CAN brick your phone if you flash a corrupted download.

Last step was flashing a new kernel from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1086518

That should do it!

Battery life has been greatly improved for me, responsiveness is way better than stock. I'm losing about 3%/hour right now on my stock battery vs 7% an hour prior.

disclaimer: You brick your phone, your dog dies, whatever, Not my doing :p

Which kernel did you go with? I stopped toying around with mine after getting BAMF and the radio flash

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

900ftjesus posted:

Evo3D rooting news, no root yet but the guys who brought 4G and HDMI to Cyanogenmod for the Evo 4G posted this:

Don't take any OTA until further notice, you may patch this hole.

They apparently have root now, so it's time to play the F5 game.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Farking Bastage posted:

Whats up BAMF 2.1 thunderbolt buddy! It's a beast of a device fully unlocked. I still ended up putting a 3700 mAh extended battery on it though.

oddly enough, I'm charging my shiny new Seido extended battery right now :p :)

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Farking Bastage posted:

Which kernel did you go with? I stopped toying around with mine after getting BAMF and the radio flash

I went with the leanKernel from Imoseyon (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1086518). No performance issues at all so far, seems even snappier.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

There's a new CM 7 RC1.1 candidate out for the Thunderbolt. Despite some wonky 4G issues, it's pretty slick.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Leathal posted:

They apparently have root now, so it's time to play the F5 game.

This is the best news ever.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

This is the best news ever.

No joke. From the guys who did everything for the Evo 4G:

quote:

#evo3d rooted #teamwin twitpic.com/5j7a03

He's now working on S-OFF.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

900ftjesus posted:

Hell yes. Once I can restore my Angry Birds scores etc this phone will be literally perfect.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

Hell yes. Once I can restore my Angry Birds scores etc this phone will be literally perfect.

Speaking of this, I have a general question that's kind of outside the scope of any one thread... Snowball's chance in hell and all, but what's the likelyhood of me being able to take the backed up scores from my webOS Angry Birds and put them in the Android version? If this is not possible and I have to play through again to unlock the levels on my EVO3D, it will impact my life in precisely zero ways, just curious. If I'm not mistaken, the webOS saves are saved as a couple files with the extension .lua if that matters.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

big mean giraffe posted:

There's a few apps in the Market that don't require root to backup/restore Angry Birds scores to/from any nonrooted device. I've used these:

https://market.android.com/search?q=whitney+powell&so=1&c=apps

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

As the others said, root it now. I have a Desire and have been running Gingerbread for months. I'm not even sure official gingerbread will come to the Desire to be honest.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

JayKay posted:

There's a new CM 7 RC1.1 candidate out for the Thunderbolt. Despite some wonky 4G issues, it's pretty slick.

Well that was a short experiment for me. I was having some serious issues with acquiring and keeping 4G. I'm now back to a stock debloat build.

For reference, I'm on MR2, stock kernel.

Edit: I might give das bamf a try next.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

900ftjesus posted:

Apparently it's done.

@mobilemods
michael allman
EVO3D has been rooted and s-off!! Congrats #teamwin You guys never cease to amaze.

edit: Still haven't seen anything official from the devs at this point, may not be true

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 1, 2011