Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Generic Superhero posted:

I literally just watched a piece of dust get stuck under the screen of my EVO 3D when I was wiping it off. It wasn't there, then a moment later it was. This is in addition to 3-4 other specs I just noticed today. My main concern it that this will just get worse with time (considering it's only been a week) - I think I may go into the Sprint store this weekend and exchange it. Has anyone done any exchanging for dust issues and did they give you any trouble, or won't they care since it's within the 30 days?

Edit: Make that a lot more than 3-4. It's like every time I really look at the screen I'm noticing more and more specs along the edge of the screen.

WTF are you people doing to your phones?!

Also:
Yay root! XDA may be useless but they are reporting that they already have S-OFF so maybe they could talk to each other...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Fancy_Lad posted:

Has there been any info about what happens if you don't use the override? I went through the process to get an override and it is reflected in my account, but after playing with my wife's EVO 3D, I'm not really convinced it is worth $200 over my EVO 4G. Is this a "use it or lose it" situation or can I hold off until something happens to my 4G or something comes out that convinces me to switch?

I will recommend the same thing I recommended last month, at the least get your upgrade "bumped" and hopefully it sticks around after the promo period. Honestly, with the exception of the rollback April 1st, in most cases if your account says "eligible," Sprint usually does not roll it back in my experience. It is not something I can guarantee. So yeah, at least have it bumped, PM me your last name and cell if you need help with that.

Fyi you can trade in your Evo to Sprint for $150, so that $200 Evo 3D is now $50 for you (plus $18 upgrade fee). I'd say with that it is def worth it. I keep getting tempted to get the 3D, its sexy and is just fast as gently caress.

Next Sprint "change stuff" date is July 23rd, and Sprint has a bunch of Photon training stuff out, so I would bet on the Photon round end of July. I am ordering Samsung "Chief" accessories today, but no legit implication on what that is beyond an Android smartphone.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Fyi you can trade in your Evo to Sprint for $150, so that $200 Evo 3D is now $50 for you (plus $18 upgrade fee). I'd say with that it is def worth it. I keep getting tempted to get the 3D, its sexy and is just fast as gently caress.

So I can sell my Evo 4G for $250-300 or I can get a whole lot less from Sprint? Awesome.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

900ftjesus posted:

So I can sell my Evo 4G for $250-300 or I can get a whole lot less from Sprint? Awesome.

Then sell it for $250 on ebay.

Honestly, I would price the Evo at more of $200-250 on craigslist, maybe more on ebay. This is just at via looking for the last few months, but there are a bunch of people selling the Evo now to get the 3D. Either way, of course selling online is more money.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

900ftjesus posted:

So I can sell my Evo 4G for $250-300? Awesome.

Good luck with that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Steve Moore posted:

Good luck with that.

Unless the market has absolutely tanked since the E3D, I got $300 on CL for my Evo in just a few days just prior to the E3D release.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I am thinking I need to let the market dry out. I had mine up for 280, then 260, then 220, with people lowballing 160. I can float the $220 I paid for the 3D until Evos are rare again enough to demand a better price than $200.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I have a $30 SERO contract. Will it work with a BlackBerry 8330 Curve without having to upgrade to the SERO premium?

I'm thinking it'll be fine but I just want to make sure. Thanks.

vvv I'm using a Palm Treo 700w right now, which is a WinMo and it hasnt charged me the extra 10 a month. Is that a new thing they've added?

Evil Agita fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 1, 2011

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Evil Agita posted:

I have a $30 SERO contract. Will it work with a BlackBerry 8330 Curve without having to upgrade to the SERO premium?

I'm thinking it'll be fine but I just want to make sure. Thanks.

AFAIK, Blackberries on SERO always required a $10 fee for BIS. Besides that, even old WinMo get the $10 data fee when newly activated or reactivated.

All smartphones get the $10 on SERO, even phones like that eco-recycled Samsung Replenish android phone. You'll have to get a. Feature phone to avoid it.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 1, 2011

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Followup: If that won't work with the $30 SERO plan can anybody recommend a decent phone that would work with it for about a hundred bucks or less?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So my weather widget on my 3d stopped working, reset the phone, lost all service and internet connection, and I had to pull the battery. Now I can't connect to anything on wifi or 3g. Hurray!!

Generic Superhero
Nov 9, 2000

You've gotta find first gear in your giant robot car.

spidoman posted:

WTF are you people doing to your phones?!

Nothing. I've been babying it so far. It's so frustrating. Once you see them you can't unsee them.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So since I'm new to this whole Android/Sprint/Data thing, I was wondering. Is it really true that only AT&T lets you talk and web-browse at the same time? It seems like something that ought to be easily hackable on an Android with 3G/4G/NearbyWifi and in general sounds like the dumbest kind of restriction that AT&T could claim having a hold over. What's up with this?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

DaveKap posted:

So since I'm new to this whole Android/Sprint/Data thing, I was wondering. Is it really true that only AT&T lets you talk and web-browse at the same time? It seems like something that ought to be easily hackable on an Android with 3G/4G/NearbyWifi and in general sounds like the dumbest kind of restriction that AT&T could claim having a hold over. What's up with this?

It's not a restriction imposed by the carriers, it's a restriction imposed by the technology. AT&T uses GSM which allows you to talk and use data at the same time. The EVDO technology that Sprint and Verizon use preclude this capability simply because of the way that information is transmitted between the tower and phone. If you have Sprint or Verizon 4G, I believe it's possible to use data over 4G while talking, however.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

DaveKap posted:

Is it really true that only AT&T lets you talk and web-browse at the same time?
No of course not.

You can definitely talk and use 4G data or WiFi at the same time. What you can't do on Sprint is use 3G data and make a call simultaneously. At least, not at this time on any released device.

SuperNuts
May 7, 2004

From the frozen north a... squirrel emerges?!?
:haw:
I was going to get a 3d, but someone mentioned to me that the new Nexus S II is coming out. I have never had a smart phone before, is it worth the wait? What are the main differences?

Ahh, Galaxy S II, my bad.

SuperNuts fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 1, 2011

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

You're thinking of the Samsung Galaxy S II, and it's been getting really good reviews. But we're not 100% sure yet if it's coming to Sprint. Just rumors so far.

Evil Agita posted:

Followup: If that won't work with the $30 SERO plan can anybody recommend a decent phone that would work with it for about a hundred bucks or less?
Check the list of dumbphone options in the OP. That's pretty much it.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Unless the market has absolutely tanked since the E3D, I got $300 on CL for my Evo in just a few days just prior to the E3D release.

It hasn't, people don't know how to sell phones. You can get even more just by flashing a Cricket ROM.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

900ftjesus posted:

XDA is useless, follow @shinzul because

:siren: Evo 3D rooted :siren:

He's now working on S-OFF.

Holy crap! I hope this is out by the weekend.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Holy crap! I hope this is out by the weekend.

I've only rooted a Samsung Moment before this, but are there any other advantages with rooting other than being able to get rid of bloatware and customize the apperance? I'd imagine a rooted Evo can do a lot more than a rooted Moment, just no idea what.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

td4guy posted:

You're thinking of the Samsung Galaxy S II, and it's been getting really good reviews. But we're not 100% sure yet if it's coming to Sprint. Just rumors so far.

Yeah, I'm really hoping this article ends up being true-

http://androidspin.com/2011/06/02/as-exlusive-sprint-source-confirms-late-july-release-for-the-samsung-within-galaxy-s-2/

It was hard passing on the EVO3D but form factor is much more important to me than 3D.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Any predictions on the worthiness of the Motorola Photon whatsit versus the EVO 3d?
My two year renewal rate kicks in tomorrow, but finances are a little tight and by the time I have the money together the Photon may be out.
I've been out of the phone tracking game for a while now, so I have no clue what Motorola's reputation is now. Is there a decent chance it would be a real HTC rival? Or are they turds now like the Samsungs appear to be?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

Everyone is correct on tech stuff, I just want to bitch about how completely sick I am of hearing about this feature difference. Do people really need this feature so drat much for it to be such a big factor? Its just the most obnoxious (and obviously successful) marketing campaign att does.

"Hey our network drops calls and we overcharge our customers and give crap customer service, but here is the one feature we do better."

Sorry if I sound like a carrier fanboy, I honestly don't mind verizon or T-Mobile, but man do I not like a lot of things Att does.

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

Duckman2008 posted:

Everyone is correct on tech stuff, I just want to bitch about how completely sick I am of hearing about this feature difference. Do people really need this feature so drat much for it to be such a big factor? Its just the most obnoxious (and obviously successful) marketing campaign att does.

"Hey our network drops calls and we overcharge our customers and give crap customer service, but here is the one feature we do better."

Sorry if I sound like a carrier fanboy, I honestly don't mind verizon or T-Mobile, but man do I not like a lot of things Att does.

When they first started advertising it I tried to use the feature but as soon as I'd make a call I'd suddenly switch from 3g with full bars to edge so it didn't work. As soon as i hung up, 3g came back.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fagalicious posted:

When they first started advertising it I tried to use the feature but as soon as I'd make a call I'd suddenly switch from 3g with full bars to edge so it didn't work. As soon as i hung up, 3g came back.

And to think they were still overcharging you and maybe even metering that EDGE usage.

Thanks to Sprint I've been using Stitcher (AKA loving Awesome) for the past couple weeks and have no worries about overages. You know how Palpatine screams UNLLLLLIMMMMITED POWAAAAAHHH at Sam Jackson in Star Wars, right before blasting his Jedi rear end out the window? Swap POWAAAAHHH for DATAAAAAAH and that is precisely how I feel.

:smugdog:'in all over them tiered data fools.

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005
Does anyone else have an Otterbox Commuter for the 3D? Mine fits kind of loose at the top, I'm wondering if they're all like that or if I just got a bad one.

Battery life with the 3D is just absolutely absurd. 16 hours 30 minutes and it's still sitting at 80%.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

z16bitsega posted:

Battery life with the 3D is just absolutely absurd. 16 hours 30 minutes and it's still sitting at 80%.

I think I got a detective battery. I had it unplugged overnight and it was down to 30% from 80%. 50% in 6 hours of standby seems like a lot.

Or is this just the "warm up period" people talk about?

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Evil Crouton posted:

I had the exact same problem with my fiance's Evo Shift. I brought it into the store and they put a new screen on it in 15 minutes. It cost me $35 because I didn't have insurance on that line but would have been free if I had TEP.

Before you get it fixed though, download an MS Paint type program and leave it running just to see what your phone will draw for you.
This is exactly what happened with mine tonight. New screen, issue resolved, plus those loving light leaks right in the middle of the screen are history. gently caress yes, very happy w this resolution

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

dphi posted:

http://androidspin.com/2011/06/02/as-exlusive-sprint-source-confirms-late-july-release-for-the-samsung-within-galaxy-s-2/

It was hard passing on the EVO3D but form factor is much more important to me than 3D.

poo poo, $350 before rebate? That means it'll probably never drop below $400 on ebay. I'm never going to get this phone :sigh:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
First sign of network vision, sprint has a decent feature in employee news on rolling out push to talk on cdma within the next year. 3 sprint cdma ptt devices will be launched.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Bioshuffle posted:

I've only rooted a Samsung Moment before this, but are there any other advantages with rooting other than being able to get rid of bloatware and customize the apperance? I'd imagine a rooted Evo can do a lot more than a rooted Moment, just no idea what.

Like you said you can remove bloatware and customize the appearance. You can also use applications that require root access to do things like free WiFi tethering, removing ads from apps, taking screen shots, and make other functional customizations to the operating system.

Dayne
Dec 5, 2003
uh, yeah

Duckman2008 posted:

I will recommend the same thing I recommended last month, at the least get your upgrade "bumped" and hopefully it sticks around after the promo period. Honestly, with the exception of the rollback April 1st, in most cases if your account says "eligible," Sprint usually does not roll it back in my experience. It is not something I can guarantee. So yeah, at least have it bumped, PM me your last name and cell if you need help with that.

Next Sprint "change stuff" date is July 23rd, and Sprint has a bunch of Photon training stuff out, so I would bet on the Photon round end of July. I am ordering Samsung "Chief" accessories today, but no legit implication on what that is beyond an Android smartphone.

How much are they buying the Epic back for? If I can get $150 from Sprint for it, I might go get an Evo 3D today.

edit: Is there a list of current buy back prices you can post? I'd be interested to see if they would buy back my fiancee's Moment too.

Dayne fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 1, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dayne posted:

How much are they buying the Epic back for? If I can get $150 from Sprint for it, I might go get an Evo 3D today.

edit: Is there a list of current buy back prices you can post? I'd be interested to see if they would buy back my fiancee's Moment too.

I can look up prices on the Moment but I doubt its much. The Epic is $100, not near as good as the Evo. My point was $150 via a company is a pretty good buyback, usually they suck.

Samsung has a survey for Sprint indirect employees on how effective trainings and spiffs are, which allowed me to go on a 3 paragraph rant about how spiffs mean nothing if the quality of the device sucks. Doubt anyone will really read it, but it made me feel pretty good!

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

Dayne posted:

https://secure2.sprintbuyback.com/consumer/

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

dphi posted:

God if this is true I don't know if I can wait for the new Nexus. It is such a beautiful phone. HTC is a great company, but I am so sick of their phone design. I want something that looks and feels different than my EVO. I know Samsung sucks yadda yadda yadda, but the SGS2 might be one of the highest reviewed phones in years, and consumer feedback has been great. My only fear is will that carry over to their Sprint version (or any of their North American versions)?

Dayne
Dec 5, 2003
uh, yeah
Thanks for the info! Does the original SD card need to be with the phone? I upgraded to a 32 gb card and gave my 16 gb to someone.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Dayne posted:

Thanks for the info! Does the original SD card need to be with the phone? I upgraded to a 32 gb card and gave my 16 gb to someone.

Go buy a 2 gb card to put in your phone, and keep your 32 gb card please.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
In an ideal world where a large domestic market didn't allow high margin American carriers to demand customized phones for their locked down CDMA networks, we'd see the international SAMSUNG GSII with nothing but the GSM/UMTS compatible SoC swapped for a CDMA compatible Exynos. Throw in a WiMax or LTE modem for Sprint and Verizon. As found in the Thunderbolt, Qualcomm already has dual CDMA/LTE chip support with a second CDMA modem for simultaneous voice and EvDO data.

But really its the size of these networks. Verizon and AT&T each have more subscribers than there are Germans or Brits. Can't place all the blame on Samsung for cranking out crap for $$$ thrown at them by carriers demanding cheaper (less to subsidize) plastic phones with no front facing cameras and Skype apps that route calls over the voice network.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Speaking of, can someone link to one of those video calls unlocked Skype.apk with support for the 3D and 4G.

EDIT: Sometimes finding things from your phone isn't too hard.
http://www.villainrom.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/4849-Skype-with-Video-Support-for-Various-Devices...?p=42265#post42265

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fagalicious
Jan 15, 2004

WHAT FAG

Dayne posted:

I don't know for sure, but reading the site it looks like all they want is the battery and phone.