Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I doubt it. I'm sure Dodge branding on the front will really clash with the nice Alfa styling in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

The new Alfa derived Dodge Caliber is almost done.

It appears to be very, very similar to the Giulietta:
http://www.google.fi/search?q=alfa giulietta&tbm=isch

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Faerunner posted:

That might actually be attractive.

Agreed. I'm digging the rear quarterpanels for some reason.

Of course, being a Caliber, it's going to have a poo poo engine and poo poo handling (but a refrigerated glovebox!) so we'll see.

I'm still baffled that this is Chrysler's "small car" that replaced the neon.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I refuse to believe that Chrysler will not gently caress this up somehow but if they don't, this will be one sexy ride.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I doubt it. I'm sure Dodge branding on the front will really clash with the nice Alfa styling in the back.

Pretty much this. Goddamn Crosshair.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
It looks like the stock Alfa headlights so it'd mainly consist of swapping for an Alfa bumper to make it look decent again.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2011/06/story-reveals-new-engine-info

There will likely be a new 2.4l engine. Since the Hyundai version of the engine already puts out 200hp, the Chrysler version with Multiair should be good for more.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/258004/

Finally. I've been waiting for a long time to see a manufacture add another gear to a manual.

I mean, we have lockouts for reverse, what's stopping them from adding a lockout cruise gear?

Horay for more manual shifting! :woop:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ziploc posted:

Finally. I've been waiting for a long time to see a manufacture add another gear to a manual.

"The PDK double clutch auto has been sharpened up again but it is the manual that might be introduced that breaks new ground. In effect it is a manually controlled single clutch version of PDK which means, for the first time in any manual production car I can think of, seven forward speeds."

What the devil? :psyduck:

Porsche, you crazy crazy Germans!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KozmoNaut posted:

"The PDK double clutch auto has been sharpened up again but it is the manual that might be introduced that breaks new ground. In effect it is a manually controlled single clutch version of PDK which means, for the first time in any manual production car I can think of, seven forward speeds."

What the devil? :psyduck:

Porsche, you crazy crazy Germans!

Huh. Makes sense I suppose. A dual clutch is in effect just an electronically actuated manual gearbox, turning it into a manual would be a simple case of stripping out the extra clutch and whatnot. I wonder if with the widespread adoption of the 7 speed dual clutch, 7 speed manuals will become the norm on future economy cars too?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throatwarbler posted:

Huh. Makes sense I suppose. A dual clutch is in effect just an electronically actuated manual gearbox, turning it into a manual would be a simple case of stripping out the extra clutch and whatnot. I wonder if with the widespread adoption of the 7 speed dual clutch, 7 speed manuals will become the norm on future economy cars too?

Probably in 10-15 years time. Most economy cars don't even have 6-speeds yet.

I wonder how the shifter pattern will be or if it will be sequential?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2011/Mar/0311_captiva

The Saturn Vue is coming back as a fleet only vehicle.

quote:

DETROIT – Chevrolet will introduce the Captiva Sport, a new entry to the U.S market, later this year to help satisfy growing demand for compact crossovers by fleet customers. The Captiva Sport is a variant of the globally successful Chevrolet Captiva compact crossover.

Variants of the compact crossover are sold in more than 50 markets across Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, the Middle East and South America. The U.S.-specific version will give fleet customers a contemporary five-seat crossover with a comprehensive range of features and amenities, and will also address their need for roominess, utility and fuel efficiency.

“It says a lot about our ability to draw on international programs and proven, quality crossovers that we were able to identify and federalize a strong new entrant such as Captiva Sport for the U.S. market,” said Alan Batey, U.S. vice president, Chevrolet Sales and Service. “We turned to our global network for a solution to quickly meet the rising demand from local fleet customers and continue to meet strong retail demand for the Equinox.”

The Captiva Sport will be available for delivery in the fourth quarter of 2011, as a 2012 model.

The Chevrolet Equinox continues to show strong retail sales growth, with retail sales up 98 percent in February compared with the same month last year. Chevrolet expects sales retail sales to remain strong, in part due to its 32 mpg highway fuel economy rating, higher than the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, or Ford Escape.

The Captiva Sport features either an Ecotec 2.4L direct-injected four-cylinder or 3.0L direct-injected V-6 engine – each matched with a fuel-saving six-speed automatic transmission. Because the crossover is based on a proven GM global architecture, only minor revisions are required to meet federal standards, allowing Chevrolet to fast-track the Captiva Sport for the United States.

The Captiva Sport will be offered in LS and LT models, with four trim packages, including an all-wheel-drive model (LTZ). All models feature 17-inch aluminum wheels, XM Satellite Radio, six-speaker sound system, four-wheel disc brakes with antilock, traction control, StabiliTrak electronic stability control, air conditioning, power locks and windows (with driver’s express down) and remote keyless entry.

Uplevel LT and LTZ models include the V-6 engine (with dual exhaust), along with OnStar and Bluetooth phone connectivity. A rear-view camera and leather trim package – including leather-trimmed and heated front seats – are standard on LTZ and available on other trims. The LTZ trim also includes a 10-speaker sound system and a sunroof.

“The range of features offered by the Captiva Sport is as rich as any Chevrolet vehicle,” said Batey. “Our fleet customers will find it to be a versatile vehicle that gives them the cargo capacity they need, in a fuel efficient package that will help keep their ownership costs in check.”

Under the skin

At the core of the Captiva Sport is a European-inspired driving character, with a stiff, steel body-frame integral structure complemented by a MacPherson strut independent front suspension and independent multi-link rear suspension. An isolated engine cradle enhances quietness and contributes to a smooth ride.

Standard on all models are four-wheel antilock disc brakes, traction control and StabiliTrak electronic stability control – systems that work together to provide outstanding vehicle control

In addition to handling features such as StabiliTrak that help drivers avoid crashes, the Captiva Sport helps protect occupants with its high-strength steel structure and a long list of standard occupant-protection safety features. Dual-stage front-seat air bags, front-seat side thorax air bags and rollover capable head curtain air bags covering front and rear rows are standard on all models.

Other standard safety features include front-row safety belt pretensioners, Pedal Release System that decouples the brake pedal in a crash to avoid injuries, active head restraints, tire pressure monitoring system, automatic power door locks and side turn signal lamps.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I wonder how the shifter pattern will be or if it will be sequential?

You could do it with a dogleg 1st with reverse in the same gate and have 6-7 share one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Muffinpox posted:

You could do it with a dogleg 1st with reverse in the same gate and have 6-7 share one.

Perhaps I'm just tired, but can you draw this for the :downs: among us?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

The old Focus SVT tranny had twin lay shafts, but it only had 6 gears. So the idea of packaging things that way isn't unheard of, I guess.

I dunno about going to 7 gears for economy cars, though. If cheap cars are supposed to be cheap and dull commuter vehicles, I feel like not many of the buyers will be clamoring for another gear to row. The idea of putting in an even smaller motor mated to a very narrowly spaced truck-like 10 gear amuses me, though.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

KozmoNaut posted:

R 2 4 6
|-|-|-|
1 3 5 7

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

KozmoNaut posted:

code:
1  3  5  7
|  |  |  |
----------
|  |  |  |
R  2  4  6

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Q_res posted:

R 2 4 6
|-|-|-|
1 3 5 7

Well, that was my first thought as well, but wouldn't that cause issues with the stick stick effectively being centered between the two center gates?

Or are you proposing a lockout similar to BMW's and VAG's gearboxes?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

KozmoNaut posted:

Well, that was my first thought as well, but wouldn't that cause issues with the stick stick effectively being centered between the two center gates?

I used to drive an 8 speed (with reverse) international fuel truck that was set up with a dog leg reverse and everything else as you'd expect (on 4 more gates). Yes, no sports car, but you really do get used to it. It's a bitch when you first start driving, but with the right detents and centering spring pressure, anyone who is serious about driving will get proficient quickly.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Motronic posted:

code:
1  3  5  7
|  |  |  |
----------
|  |  |  |
R  2  4  6

He said dogleg first, so it would be at the bottom. :colbert:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Q_res posted:

He said dogleg first, so it would be at the bottom. :colbert:

Ohwwww.. Yeah, you're right. But 1st on the bottom is so......unnatural.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

No matter how they do it, I can't wait to see Jeremy Clarkson's reaction to it.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I expected 7th and reverse to hide on the right behind the same lockout.

If it is the PDK trans, I'm assuming they are removing the dual-input shaft nature of it too.

Still, can't wait for the details.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

You could probably center on the 4-5 gate and have a lockout for 1st above whatever mph exceeds 1st gear red line. 1-2 would still be a weird shift. I could also see a sequential, then they could use the pdk gear indicator reverse engagement mechanism (button) and not have to deal with making two different clusters.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 30, 2011

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Why not just

code:
1 3 5 7
|-|-|-|
2 4 6 R
?

Or, more likely

code:
   1 3 5 7
 ,-|-|-|-'
 R 2 4 6
because they're German.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Frankly, I like Reverse being out on it's own. But that's probably a bias born from habit.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Q_res posted:

Frankly, I like Reverse being out on it's own. But that's probably a bias born from habit.

I also like the idea of first being left and down, since I'm used to driving a truck with granny low, so I start in second. Having first in a car there would be neat.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Hopefully they'll carry over the VAG tradition of having the driver push the lever down to engage reverse. Otherwise I can see things going wrong pretty drat quick.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They should have hi-lo like a 9 speed.

code:
  5 7
R 1 3
|-|-|
L 2 4
  6 8
Where you hit a sitch after 4th and shift into the one slot to get 5.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 1, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Powershift posted:

code:
  5 7
R 1 3
|-|-|
L 2 4
  6 8

I think direct access would better serve a sports car.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Powershift posted:

code:
  5 7
R 1 3
|-|-|
L 2 4
  6 8

How much of your life have you wasted paddling a Fuller 8LL? I'm guessing either none at all, or a ton more than I have. No other options could explain that opinion.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Motronic posted:

How much of your life have you wasted paddling a Fuller 8LL? I'm guessing either none at all, or a ton more than I have. No other options could explain that opinion.

All of my driving time was spent on 18 speeds, eaton-fuller or mack, a hi-lo transmission would really seperate the men from the boys.

edit: also, they should add a splitter and make it a 14 speed

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 1, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

When the world needs a better transmission Chrysler will build it. :colbert:

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
code:
 R  +-- 1
 |  |
 +--+--+ 
    |  |
3 --+  2

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

ehnus posted:

code:
 R  +-- 1
 |  |
 +--+--+ 
    |  |
3 --+  2

Total classic.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ehnus posted:

code:
 R  +-- 1
 |  |
 +--+--+ 
    |  |
3 --+  2

To be fair, it was a response to what was perceived to be a conspiracy against the world order:

code:
       1/7
        ^
 6 ____/_\____2
   \  /   \  /
    \/  N  \/
    /\     /\
  5/__\___/__\3
       \ /

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Powershift posted:

All of my driving time was spent on 18 speeds, eaton-fuller or mack, a hi-lo transmission would really seperate the men from the boys.

edit: also, they should add a splitter and make it a 14 speed

Fair enough. So way more (same idea anyway - I just always drove local runs with triaxles and the like so no 18 speeds for me).

I used to prefer my 1971 DM 2-stick slope hood. We called it "slowpoke", and yes, it was positive ground.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What's the wear rate on sequential gear boxes in cars? Because I think your average person is terrified of the clutch and would be much more likely to learn a different way of shifting on a sequential.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Russian Bear posted:

What's the wear rate on sequential gear boxes in cars? Because I think your average person is terrified of the clutch and would be much more likely to learn a different way of shifting on a sequential.

The hardest part of working a clutch is getting going from a standstill and you still need the clutch for getting a sequential gearbox going..

Unless you do something like the Ferrari e-gear or BMW SMG, but those are automated manual gearboxes, not real sequentials like in a WRC car or motorcycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Possible Cadillac ATS chassis spotted:

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f70/cadillac-ats-gms-website-103900/