Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I have some anti-grind character points on LotJ from making characters, playing for a while, and then quitting. Maybe I should come back. How anal are the admins? Are people allowed to talk to each other and assume we've met in the past, or do they want us to make all of our contacts via gameplay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Depends. I have an RL friend and every timeline we just happen to "meet" in a public workshop, do a brief introduction and just osay forever to converse.

If you're trying to meet other people, you'll probably have to play a bit of a role, but things are distilled down so that you can get employed, trained, or set up in an outfit with minimal beating around the bush.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Everyday Potato posted:

Hey folks, I'm sort of occasionally involved in the Mudlet project. We're an open source, performance oriented client. We're doing our 2.0 final release tomorrow, but I'm actually posting for a different reason.

I know a few Goons play DR off and on and I'm in the process of building Simu support into mudlet. I've got the login system handled (you can just click "connect" and it'll beam you straight into DR or GS4 or whatever) but I'd like input on scripting needs, features that would be good for DR, etc.

So, that said, anyone here play DR with any regularity? Do you do much scripting? Would you like to?

Pastie example of the login process in action

See what's in Genie 3, add that. Genie 3 is the standard for scripting in DR (I assume GS too, haven't actually tried). That being said, I don't anticipate many people are going to want to switch. The play is so heavily scripted that if you have to modify any of your scripts in order to use this client, people just aren't going to do it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

piL posted:

I have some anti-grind character points on LotJ from making characters, playing for a while, and then quitting. Maybe I should come back. How anal are the admins? Are people allowed to talk to each other and assume we've met in the past, or do they want us to make all of our contacts via gameplay?

Right now I'm playing one of a pair of brothers. You can set stuff up like that, if you want.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
That makes sense, I just have nobody specifically to do that with. I just like the idea of a group of people crewing a ship a la Firefly, filling various roles, and serving as smugglers/mercenaries. This seems contrary to the game's focus which seems to be either solo in nature, or joining a large faction. I can't figure out how to set something like that up ICly--other than maybe putting out some ads: "Mercenary captain looking for crew mates for nefarious activity, apply within!"

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Diplomaticus posted:

See what's in Genie 3, add that. Genie 3 is the standard for scripting in DR (I assume GS too, haven't actually tried). That being said, I don't anticipate many people are going to want to switch. The play is so heavily scripted that if you have to modify any of your scripts in order to use this client, people just aren't going to do it.

I know someone made an android client once. There's a link to it on the DR forums, but since my DR account is inactive I can't find it. I think it might of been one of the GS4 GMs (Illdan? sp may be off), iirc.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

Erdricks posted:

I know someone made an android client once. There's a link to it on the DR forums, but since my DR account is inactive I can't find it. I think it might of been one of the GS4 GMs (Illdan? sp may be off), iirc.

Holy poo poo they are charging 25 dollars and 50 dollars a month for their pay services. I can't believe those games are still going, I remember running into them for the first time back on the Microsoft zone back in 99 and 2000. I remember really liking the atmosphere, combat and ease of use of DragonRealms but hated how you just sat and cast/foraged over and over for poo poo a lot of the time, was boring.

I'll never forget finding my way to the thieves guild back in the day, figuring out where it was and how to get in, one of my video game memories that I'll always have.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I play off and on on this video game clusterfuck MUD, Cleft of Dimensions (http://cod.mudmagic.com/). The classes are sort of generic but pretty unique, with each one getting a class change into something more specialized at level 30 out of 100. Races include stuff like humans, moogles, reploids, koopas, etc. - the premise is the world is like a dumping ground, with video game stuff just dropping in and getting incorporated.

Combat is alright and requires you to be paying attention, and it takes a while to get super-grindy, with the main progression idea being that you take a character to 100 and then remort, keeping one skill off that class permanently, and then doing whatever you want to do next, like Kingdom of Loathing. Each time you remort, it takes more experience to gain levels.

I play Hyperion there, just kind of scarcely because I get distracted easy. The game is still getting updated and expanded at a fairly rapid rate, which is impressive since I think it's been open since 2000 or so. Plus, I haven't seen a single giant dramabomb or much evidence of imm chicanery.

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
I was bored tonight so I decided to draft up a design document for a Deus Ex themed MU*. You can read the DD at http://tinyurl.com/deusexmud

I'm mostly looking for insight both from MU*ers and Deus Ex fans alike. I'm mostly looking for insight as to what will work both as a MU* and as a Deus Ex themed game.

Disclaimer: Unlike most "I have a great idea for a mud!" things on mudconnect.com or whatever I actually have coding and administrative experience.

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

For the inexperienced among us, what level of programming knowledge is required to actually construct a MU* ? Can content be made with a limited understanding of programming?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
That depends on the code base. Some are super easy with a few commands, some are utterly impossible without a degree in CS (mild overstatement.)

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
It might be cool to have a testbed MUD open to goons to join and mess around with building areas and making objects or whatever. Probably not as fun as something like Ground Zero where there is an actual game going on, but I always liked making rooms and messing around with mobprogs when I was building for a couple of small MUDs back in the day.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

The Strangest Finch posted:

For the inexperienced among us, what level of programming knowledge is required to actually construct a MU* ? Can content be made with a limited understanding of programming?
Some of the later versions of MUDs have online builder tools, allowing you to dig new areas, fill out descriptions and set up scripts (f.inst have a mob respond when looked at) while logged in. It's slow, but requires next to no programming experience. MUSH and their kind are slightly more involved, and requires you to understand at least what an object is in a programming sense (since everything is an object, the type of which is determined by flags). Also to make something interesting, you need to have a fair grasp of scripting. I've never actually set up a server, so no clue how involved that is.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

pixelbaron posted:

It might be cool to have a testbed MUD open to goons to join and mess around with building areas and making objects or whatever. Probably not as fun as something like Ground Zero where there is an actual game going on, but I always liked making rooms and messing around with mobprogs when I was building for a couple of small MUDs back in the day.

May I (once again) recommend Dead Souls? It's a nice little mud with a rather decent interface and a pretty good building system.

Main page: http://dead-souls.sourceforge.net/

Introduction to their building system: http://dead-souls.net/example.html

You can at least flesh out your areas and mobs without knowing any programming at all. To make it good you'll probably need to write some code, but the language isn't that hard.

Anybody got a barely-used server just sitting around? I'd run it myself but I don't want to link my (firstname + lastname) domain name with my SA account :v:

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!

The Strangest Finch posted:

C and/or C++ knowledge, good/solid understanding of TCP/IP networking, generic computer science stuff (algorithms and what not) and security.

Of course, if you are starting from scratch it will require quite a lot more skills than if you were to use an open-source as your base.

If you are interested in adding content, I believe most (if not all) MU* will have the content detached from the actual source code of the server itself. As in probably all games, the 'engines' that run the game are created by developers while the actual content is done by graphical artists/writers/etc, hence they are somewhat independent.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
I did some more reading on Ground Zero, and holy poo poo I want to play this game. I'm going to set it up on my local server for my friends and I, and if it's a lot of fun I'll get it going on my internet-able server.

croakey
Mar 23, 2006

Ninja Gun - Restless Rubes

ambushsabre posted:

I did some more reading on Ground Zero, and holy poo poo I want to play this game. I'm going to set it up on my local server for my friends and I, and if it's a lot of fun I'll get it going on my internet-able server.

:woop: Maybe we can schedule a game?

Visti
Apr 26, 2010
Hm, I'm looking for a new game and there are just a ton of systems and games. Last time I played was probably some five years ago in a heavily RP'd World Of Darkness game, but I have no idea how to find a new game or what to look for. How do you guys go about finding new games?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I call it the MudConnect cycle, where I go on mudconnecter every couple of months, look at the retarded furry superhero sex muds on the front page, laugh, see something and go, "Oh, that's a good idea" then connect and find it was minimally implemented, and it's really just another person doing another diku-style MUD.

Edit: We welcome players of all kinds, to play both established Feature
Characters and exciting Original Characters. At Flights 'n Tights,
the name of the game is hot superheroes having sexy fun...but they
have adventures too, and they fight villains! Every player character
is encouraged to be played a gay or bisexual male, although female
characters and straight supporting cast are more than welcome to be
emitted!

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Autarch Kade posted:

I played one called GalaxyWeb: Stellar Epoch. It was a space themed one with ships that were modular, similar to EVE's tech 3 cruisers. It was a very advanced MUD, or MOO I guess. However it was also very corrupt, the most powerful player character was also a dev, and it was he that caused the server to eventually shut down.

I know this is from the first page, but were you around the time the mods screwed up the chat and say system? Me and my friends were hanging out in our ship talking about stupid crap and using smilies and one of them came down and told us not to use smilies. So being the trolls we were, we just answered in more and more smilies until they started censoring every variation of them we came up with. They censored so many letters and characters that you couldn't even type in any kind of chat because it'd just censor anything you said.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cephalectomy posted:

I know this is from the first page, but were you around the time the mods screwed up the chat and say system? Me and my friends were hanging out in our ship talking about stupid crap and using smilies and one of them came down and told us not to use smilies. So being the trolls we were, we just answered in more and more smilies until they started censoring every variation of them we came up with. They censored so many letters and characters that you couldn't even type in any kind of chat because it'd just censor anything you said.

I played with Kade. And I don't know if he was about for that, but I definitely was. It was -hilarious.-

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
I dont remember which imm it was, but one of them had a serious hardon for harassing me and my friends when all we did was fly around in our ship minding our own business. The chat breaking was his attempt at an ultimate gently caress you and when he broke the whole game with it he tried to have a sit down talk with us all serious like about how we shouldn't use smilies ever again. Then he banned us. :commissar:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I really wish GalaxyWeb would come back. I loved the concept for it, and I love playing space dolphins.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
GalWeb was ruined by that one single guy. I don't remember his name, but he'd do the same poo poo to me and Kade.

Also: Space Dolphin was the best, and they had some of the most unique and interesting races.. Such as Hyper Intelligent Space Worm made of 18 separate and potentially individual parts. Or Space Monkey with two symbiotic ferrets attached to its back. Or Gas Cloud that literally ate energy (and could step outside of the space ship and consume solar energy, without needing a space suit, because why the gently caress would it need a space suit?)

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
I used to play The Two Towers LP MUD. It was probably 15 years ago when I started, haven't played in well over a decade at this point.

They had some weird stuff. It wasn't a "PvP MUD", and the guy who ran it would get really pissy if you said it was, but they allowed PvP. They even had an assassin class and a sheriff class and a system of scaling fines for attacking/killing other players. Full loot, totally imbalanced classes, no level restrictions on who you could attack, but the community and those scaling fines kept ganking pretty low.

There were a few guys who were dicks about it, but they all eventually had to back off or reroll (it took forever to level) to avoid the fines. If you didn't pay fines you ended up in jail. Depending on how big your fine was you could be there for days to even months where all you can do if you log in is try and find new things to /l in the cell.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

nucleicmaxid posted:

GalWeb was ruined by that one single guy. I don't remember his name, but he'd do the same poo poo to me and Kade.

Also: Space Dolphin was the best, and they had some of the most unique and interesting races.. Such as Hyper Intelligent Space Worm made of 18 separate and potentially individual parts. Or Space Monkey with two symbiotic ferrets attached to its back. Or Gas Cloud that literally ate energy (and could step outside of the space ship and consume solar energy, without needing a space suit, because why the gently caress would it need a space suit?)

The floating donuts with tentacles were my favorite. Xez or whatever they were. You could even get a laser gun implanted inside the donut that would pop out and shoot people on command it was fun to mess around with.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
I am looking for a MUD that has some key things. Number one community/roleplaying (Hopefully roleplay enforced), second system, and third player run stuff (economy, politics, etc?)

Am I hoping to high here? The only MUD I had played in the past was Achaea. I have played through the opening character creation of HellMOO, Achaea and Lusternia, but I have heard that IRE stuff is kind of crap or is corrupt. Looking up the Wiki page, it seems that Achaea admins are even more corrupt giving pet favorites free toys, so I don't want to go into that environment unless its fixed.

Maybe I am asking to much... sigh. :(

HellMOO was pretty neat, only got past character creation but its pretty neat. I do prefer the fantasy setting however..

edit: Also, heard some stuff about how good or bad Aardwolf is, may give that a spin...

Basically I am trying to find a MUD I can sink my teeth into and I don't want to join something that is corrupt/horrible and spend 20 to 30 levels to find that out.

Bardlebee fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 4, 2011

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
You might be interested in my MUD but we're also replacing our embarassing newbie school in the very near future so I'll hold off on re-plugging until then... I wrote some stuff about it a page or two ago though.

e: It does take some time to get into things, but leveling goes relatively quickly, even as someone totally new to the game.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Please don't fire the imps!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

No, no, they're still there, though we've gutted some of their more horrifying behaviours.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Been playing Aardwolf myself, just started it up. Learned very early to quest a lot first.

Fun fun fun, looks like it's lots of grinding.
Where are most of the Goons playing now?

nowithac
Apr 1, 2010
I played Nodeka for a little while back in middle school. I quit because the admin started charging money to play and I was in middle school. I think I will check out Worlds of Carnage though, thanks to this thread.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

Jenner posted:

Been playing Aardwolf myself, just started it up. Learned very early to quest a lot first.

Fun fun fun, looks like it's lots of grinding.
Where are most of the Goons playing now?

Was it RP heavy? I understand that Aardwolf was just RP accepted, not enforced.

I have been playing New World actually. While their site is a big ball of hurt their game has a constant population and is RP enforced.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

New Worlds Ateraan? I played that game for a year. It is one of the most frustating MUDs that I've played, especially now that it's pay for perks. The roleplay is pretty good at times, and there's some fantastic players, but I have some huge, huge gripes about the game itself.

It allows multiplaying (they 'allow' 2 characters on at a time, but I know a guy that multiplays up to 5) and staying logged in idling, so that "constant population" is actually about 15-20 people even if the player count says 120 or whatever it usually is. You're actually rewarded for staying in and idling, you get a reward every 36 hours (I think) of playtime/idletime. The progression is horribly slow, they have a meter called the "borg meter" that punishes you if you kill too many mobs in a day. They say that it goes down if you roleplay, but it's actually completely time based.

I was Guildmaster of the Mages on there for a very short time, the staff micromanages the RP of the city "leaders" so much that you don't actually do any leading at all. God forbid you run afoul of any of the staff morts, either. Andrew's brilliant idea for cool events usually involves just killing off the entire pbase so they all lose levels in their skills.

Another great thing about death on there is that every time you die, half of your gear disappears, then the mob that kills you picks your gear up. When you kill that mob to get your gear back, half of the gear IT drops disappears. It's an exercise in futility to try to get your things back.

Basically, New Worlds is fine if you're a roleplayer. If you're going to try and actually play the game, you better hope you're unemployed or have a lot of free time, because to actually progress on there you need to treat the game like a full time job.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

FordPRefectLL posted:

New Worlds Ateraan? I played that game for a year. It is one of the most frustating MUDs that I've played, especially now that it's pay for perks. The roleplay is pretty good at times, and there's some fantastic players, but I have some huge, huge gripes about the game itself.

It allows multiplaying (they 'allow' 2 characters on at a time, but I know a guy that multiplays up to 5) and staying logged in idling, so that "constant population" is actually about 15-20 people even if the player count says 120 or whatever it usually is. You're actually rewarded for staying in and idling, you get a reward every 36 hours (I think) of playtime/idletime. The progression is horribly slow, they have a meter called the "borg meter" that punishes you if you kill too many mobs in a day. They say that it goes down if you roleplay, but it's actually completely time based.

I was Guildmaster of the Mages on there for a very short time, the staff micromanages the RP of the city "leaders" so much that you don't actually do any leading at all. God forbid you run afoul of any of the staff morts, either. Andrew's brilliant idea for cool events usually involves just killing off the entire pbase so they all lose levels in their skills.

Another great thing about death on there is that every time you die, half of your gear disappears, then the mob that kills you picks your gear up. When you kill that mob to get your gear back, half of the gear IT drops disappears. It's an exercise in futility to try to get your things back.

Basically, New Worlds is fine if you're a roleplayer. If you're going to try and actually play the game, you better hope you're unemployed or have a lot of free time, because to actually progress on there you need to treat the game like a full time job.

Wow, were is it that it says its pay for perks. I am surprised by this actually. I started in the southland so I haven't gotten to the combat yet, all this is quite disappointing. Especially the number of players.

Tis a sad day for my new hobby. :(

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Bardlebee posted:

Was it RP heavy? I understand that Aardwolf was just RP accepted, not enforced.

I have been playing New World actually. While their site is a big ball of hurt their game has a constant population and is RP enforced.

Yeah, I'm hunting for a more RP heavy mud and having no luck. Maybe I'll pop into New World and check it out.
Might just be easier to migrate a large role-player population into a rp sensitive mud with a good solid population then foster a role-player community with manufactured story lines and build it ourselves.

gently caress Aetolia/Imperian/etc.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 12, 2011

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
There's always Armageddon.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

Jenner posted:

Yeah, I'm hunting for a more RP heavy mud and having no luck. Maybe I'll pop into New World and check it out.
Might just be easier to migrate a large role-player population into a rp sensitive mud with a good solid population then foster a role-player community with manufactured story lines and build it ourselves.

gently caress Aetolia/Imperian/etc.

I am going to start playing Avendar. It is a MUD neongrey and company are working on. They have a integrated client with the website and everything. They are currently redoing the newbie section though. But the newbie section was pretty straight forward anyway.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

It's straightforward but doesn't really give an accurate impression of the game. We'll probably have the new newbie area done sometime this week (and I'll post when we do)... it'll probably be a bit more difficult, per se, but it'll mean a) there'll be less of a difficulty spike on people who don't know where to go once they finish, and b) that the newbie school as a whole actally gives an accurate display of what the mud is like and how it's built. Basically at present it's one of the worst areas in the game... it'll be one of the best, once we're done polish/testing on this update and it goes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
/\/\/\/\

I used to work as a developer for MUDs and such back in the day, coming up with descriptions and organizing events and storylines (for the aforementioned "gently caress x" games above.) I have no time now, I'm tired of being a MOD, I'd actually just like to sit back and PLAY a game.

I'll peek into your game as soon as your newbie zone is finished, one thing I've noticed is how so many people just DO NOT read the script or help files. We briefly considered the Zelda technique where we made everything important a glaringly obnoxious color. To be honest if people don't want to read they're not going to.

In other news my dumb rear end is awaiting approval for this Armageddon game. I had too silly of a character concept and the desert is serious business.

• Locked thread