Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

penneydude posted:

Did I read this wrong, or is that second to last picture on the right a 500 speed film shot at 6400 with no push? If so, that's incredible...

On a related note, is bulk loading complicated? And how do you get ECN-2 film developed? :v:

You're right. Vision3 500T is insane, but don't forget that it's tungsten balanced, so you will need a filter (and lose some speed).

Bulk loading isn't bad. For still film, it comes on a 100' spool. You load the spool into a loader in a darkroom. The loader has a felt light trap on it. You pull the film through, tape it onto a spool, then load the spool into a snap or screw-apart canister. Insert the canister into the loader, close the door, and crank it. I believe 100' is considered a short end of 35mm movie film, so that may be a bit cheaper. I don't know if the spool fits inside a bulk loader. Processing will be your biggest challenge.

According to a thread on Apug, Cinelab in Massachusetts may be willing to do short run ECN-2 processing. If you call, ask them how modern ECN-2 films store at room temperature. The datasheet calls for storing your negatives in a freezer for long-term stability, and I'm curious if this is actually crucial. Some people here think it may be overkill and a room temperature/cool basement would be acceptable.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
That's it, I'm buying some Portra 400 after work today.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>
My first foray into the world of film photography was a failure - the camera refused to work. Luckily, I remembered that my Grandfather had a spare body lying around. Little did I realise that he had two...

A rough guide, from picture left to right:
135m f/3.5 Takumar lens
Asahiflex IIb model with 58mm f/2.4 lens attached
Teleconverter for same (A set of attachable bellows sits in front of this)
Light meter/guide (sixtomat X3)
Baby brownie special (127 film camera)
Pentax 70-200mm f/4.0 - 5.6
Pentax 28-80mm
Pentax SF7 with Sigma 35-70mm lens attached.

When I asked him what he wanted for it, he said to me that there was 2~3 cubic metres of wood that needed stacking down near his chopping block in his back yard.

I am a little excited to put some film into the Asahilfex and see how it turns out.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'd love to see how that 58/2.4 performs. It'll probably be fairly modest (read: low in contrast and not super sharp until f/5.6 or f/8) but it's an interesting design. It's the shortest and fastest Heliar design ever made and the only Heliar ever made for a SLR.

For best results be sure to check the light seals.

Asahiflexes are so classy. If you ever decide to sell it (don't), let me know.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 29, 2011

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'd love to see how that 58/2.4 performs. It'll probably be fairly modest (read: low in contrast and not super sharp until f/5.6 or f/8) but it's an interesting design. It's the shortest and fastest Heliar design ever made and the only Heliar ever made for a SLR.

For best results be sure to check the light seals.

Asahiflexes are so classy. If you ever decide to sell it (don't), let me know.

I took it in to the local camera shop after I got it back, and they said that they would be a little concerned about the light seals as they seem to be a bit sticky, and will start wearing away soon enough - but encouraged me to run a film through it to see how it goes to start with. Depending on how bad it is, I might just part with the $150 to replace them.

I will be happy to post some results once I get the film developed/printed and I can get some scans up.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Hahahah, holy poo poo. $150? Look up the seller 'interslice' on ebay and see if he makes a light seal kit for it. If not, he will sell you enough raw materials to do it yourself and it'll be $11 shipped.

Or, buy/special order a tube of Pliobond from your hardware store or Amazon, get a roll of black wool yarn, and seal it yourself. The flat seals on the end of the door can be done with some black self-stick foam from Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Just be really careful not to put anything through the shutter, and leave the back open for a night to vent.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 29, 2011

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Hahahah, holy poo poo. $150? Look up the seller 'interslice' on ebay and see if he makes a light seal kit for it. If not, he will sell you enough raw materials to do it yourself and it'll be $11 shipped.

Or, buy/special order a tube of Pliobond from your hardware store or Amazon, get a roll of black wool yarn, and seal it yourself. The flat seals on the end of the door can be done with some black self-stick foam from Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Just be really careful not to put anything through the shutter, and leave the back open for a night to vent.

Sweet. Thanks for the tips. I will look into those.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
For the fellow Aussies, I'm moving back home soon from the UK and I was looking to bring back a pile of film, mainly Fuji Acros in 120 and FP-100c instant, and I wanted to know where is the cheapest film in Australia is these days? (I'm seeing if its going to be worth my while). Also is there anything film related that is heinously expensive that might be worth getting?

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

A friend went to NZ and brought me back a bunch of old cameras. That place is a treasure trove. Here's some shots from a test roll of kodak ultima 100, with my new old OM2n.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

nasoren posted:

A friend went to NZ and brought me back a bunch of old cameras. That place is a treasure trove. Here's some shots from a test roll of kodak ultima 100, with my new old OM2n.

I love this.

Ciro-Flex
Jan 28, 2009

nasoren posted:

What focal length lens were you using? How do you get crazy DOF like that at your distance from the subject?

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

Ciro-Flex posted:

What focal length lens were you using? How do you get crazy DOF like that at your distance from the subject?

This was with an OM-adapted 70-210, stopped down to something like f/8.

Some of my recently-acquired stash. Asahi Pentax SV, Spotmatic, SPII, and the aforementioned Oly OM2n, with their respective fifties

And this lovely thing from 40s

fartmanteau fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 30, 2011

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
The other night I found a posting on craigslist for a bunch of old cameras. Ended up walking away with an Olympus Pen D3 and a Leica Ikonta 521/16 for $100 tote :dance:

(I messed up the depth of field in this pic :( )

I ran them both through their range of f-stops and apertures and they seem to work perfectly. They are both getting film in them tonight and I can't wait to shoot with them.

I hadn't originally intended to get the Pen as I already have a bunch of 35mm cameras, but it's in mint condition; absolutely no blemishes in the lens or on the body. I even tested the meter which matches both my hand held light meter and my dslr. It's a funky little camera in that it's half frame and the exposure meter counts down. The meter is also uncoupled as you have to set the exposure using ev values. It even came in the original felt/leather case (which is actually very worn) with the instruction manual

The Ikonta is in almost equally good condition. The black finish on the metal is very worn, but everything else is spotless. The bellows looks brand new, the self timer still works, and everything shifts and moves smoothly.

Definitely a good day.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.
Welp, just ordered 100' of Vision3 500T and bulk loading equipment (loader, reusable canisters, etc) for like $70 total. Let's see how this turns out...

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Just took delivery of :clint: :siren: THE BOSS :siren: :clint: from Adorama:

Yep, that's 5x120 reels of capacity (or 8x35mm). I've got 21 rolls of B&W medium format to work through from my road trip, then I think I'm going to box it up and mail it to myself in Japan. Was originally thinking suitcase, but it weighs basically nothing, so shipping shouldn't be too bad. Lon Lon Rabbit was saying he was having a hard time finding cheap developing tanks/reels over there, so still feel good about buying it here.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Oh snap, I didn't even know they made an 8-reel tank. I thought it maxed out at 5 reels. I want two of those.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

holy poo poo that's monstrous

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The biggest I had was 4 and I almost never used it.

In other awesome news, I found an amazing darkroom in the town I've moved to. 70 bucks a year unlimited usage. :hellyeah:
They have an enlarger that does 1x2m. I'm going to spend so much money on paper :(

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

:q:

DancingPotato
Aug 26, 2009
They're ALL 220 rolls!? Wow. That should keep you going for a millenia or so...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

MrBlandAverage posted:

Mmmmmmmm... :allears:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

Oh snap, I didn't even know they made an 8-reel tank. I thought it maxed out at 5 reels. I want two of those.

I googled around, I think it's the biggest. It can also hold two Mod reels with room for another roll of 120; if it was big enough to do three at once I'd be able to load all of my Grafmatics in to get developed at once :hellyeah:

evil_bunnY posted:

In other awesome news, I found an amazing darkroom in the town I've moved to. 70 bucks a year unlimited usage. :hellyeah:
They have an enlarger that does 1x2m. I'm going to spend so much money on paper :(

I'm hoping the place I'm moving to offers a similar opportunity with a reasonable distance, I'll have to try at the local college or something. It'd be awesome if my place had a spare room I could convert, although a non-bathroom seems like it would be a pain for the wet stuff though. Worst case scenario, Fukuoka is only an hour or so away, has to be something there.

MrBlandAverage posted:

:aaaaa:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

penneydude posted:

Welp, just ordered 100' of Vision3 500T and bulk loading equipment (loader, reusable canisters, etc) for like $70 total. Let's see how this turns out...

Where did you get the shortend, and where are you planning on sending it for development?

Wayfaring Stranger
Feb 16, 2011
Incidentally, a poor digital snapshot of my film camera I've been messing around with the past couple weeks:

My Canon FTb by chaussée, on Flickr

It's heavy as sin, but sturdy. I definitely need to shoot more, but I need to find a tenable film/dev solution. In any case, these are the only ones worth sharing so far:

Cross-post from the long-exposure thread

Bargate, Southampton by chaussée, on Flickr

River near Arundel 1 by chaussée, on Flickr

River near Arundel 2 by chaussée, on Flickr

Sleepy kitty by chaussée, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

DancingPotato posted:

They're ALL 220 rolls!? Wow. That should keep you going for a millenia or so...
Maybe not a millennium, but at least a year or two...

Anybody want some? I'll part with up to 5 rolls a person for my cost, $7 plus actual shipping. Seems to be about the going rate. Expired 2009, supposedly freezer kept since, except for its trip to me.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -