Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I get the feeling from "Achewood formulating new storyline for free public site. I miss doing it" that the truth is that some site is paying him to make exclusive new strips.

Who are these go-getters?

I know that's not the case though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

grilldos posted:

I get the feeling from "Achewood formulating new storyline for free public site. I miss doing it" that the truth is that some site is paying him to make exclusive new strips.

I suspect its more that he's realised that the main strip functions as an advert for the supplementary material like merch and the fanflow content. Nobody's going to give a crap about Chapbooks and blogs unless they're accompanying the strip.

Of course, whether he can regain people's trust in his ability to deliver stuff in return for their money is another issue.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ChuckDHead posted:

I suspect its more that he's realised that the main strip functions as an advert for the supplementary material like merch and the fanflow content. Nobody's going to give a crap about Chapbooks and blogs unless they're accompanying the strip.

Of course, whether he can regain people's trust in his ability to deliver stuff in return for their money is another issue.

I'd be convinced if he could get a strip out weekly for several months. Convinced enough to buy things from him, though probably not enough to pre-order them.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Dominion posted:

I'd be convinced if he could get a strip out weekly for several months. Convinced enough to buy things from him, though probably not enough to pre-order them.

Definitely. I would like to own more Achewood books (especially that drat cookbook), but I'm not going to be buying anything that isn't available off Amazon for a good long while.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Today is four months to the day since Onstad voiced his disapproval of Comics Alliance's usage of "over" and "end" to describe Achewood.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Van Dis posted:

Today is four months to the day since Onstad voiced his disapproval of Comics Alliance's usage of "over" and "end" to describe Achewood.

So, four months, plus however time it took him to declare a hiatus... How long did it take him to 'miss it'?

Though I don't think any incoming Achewood content (if any) is nothing but something that Onstad did because he wanted to, not a push to keep Achewood or his finances aloft. I mean, dude can't be deluded enough to think that a) fans are going to trust him right away and moreover b) that money would flow back in as soon as he posted a new strip, like everyone is rightly saying, it would take MONTHS of new content to kind of restart Achewood as a cash machine.

I don't like what happened to Achewood as a whole, but I don't remember anyone giving a counter argument to what Onstad said about feeling formulaic and repetitive, and I think it's because it's true.

Someone mentioned it earlier, the cop out of the Williams-Sonoma arc with Cartilage Head, while interesting, was kind of the same thing all over again, down to the picture of 'I proved myself a coward' at the end. I think it does stand on its own, but maybe not against the astringent standards of originality Achewood set in the past (The Lonis Edison arc, for example, I mean, Ray walking back from Mexico)... wait, that arc abused the poo poo out of magical Mexican realism, which already had been abused. (Nephew in Wales). If anything what we had going on was the same key pieces and formulas, in different settings. This is just my opinion, and it's probably wrong because I'm looking back on Achewood on a wrong way or something.

TL:DR Was Achewood really becoming stale and repetitive towards the end? If so, will this hiatus ultimately benefit us all if it allowed Onstad to foodie it up enough to come up with new ideas?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Zefiel posted:

So, four months, plus however time it took him to declare a hiatus... How long did it take him to 'miss it'?

Though I don't think any incoming Achewood content (if any) is nothing but something that Onstad did because he wanted to, not a push to keep Achewood or his finances aloft. I mean, dude can't be deluded enough to think that a) fans are going to trust him right away and moreover b) that money would flow back in as soon as he posted a new strip, like everyone is rightly saying, it would take MONTHS of new content to kind of restart Achewood as a cash machine.

I don't like what happened to Achewood as a whole, but I don't remember anyone giving a counter argument to what Onstad said about feeling formulaic and repetitive, and I think it's because it's true.

Someone mentioned it earlier, the cop out of the Williams-Sonoma arc with Cartilage Head, while interesting, was kind of the same thing all over again, down to the picture of 'I proved myself a coward' at the end. I think it does stand on its own, but maybe not against the astringent standards of originality Achewood set in the past (The Lonis Edison arc, for example, I mean, Ray walking back from Mexico)... wait, that arc abused the poo poo out of magical Mexican realism, which already had been abused. (Nephew in Wales). If anything what we had going on was the same key pieces and formulas, in different settings. This is just my opinion, and it's probably wrong because I'm looking back on Achewood on a wrong way or something.

TL:DR Was Achewood really becoming stale and repetitive towards the end? If so, will this hiatus ultimately benefit us all if it allowed Onstad to foodie it up enough to come up with new ideas?

I think the only thing that got old and stale was the "whoops sorry but I'm back now" strips. I still enjoyed the storylines themselves right up until the end. I got frustrated at how long the Nice Pete high school arc dragged on but that was because of how long it was between strips, not how many strips there were.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Dominion posted:

I think the only thing that got old and stale was the "whoops sorry but I'm back now" strips. I still enjoyed the storylines themselves right up until the end. I got frustrated at how long the Nice Pete high school arc dragged on but that was because of how long it was between strips, not how many strips there were.

I still think that's a good arc based on a great concept. Read it again without the massive delays, and it's a mainly satisfying read, albeit one that feels a bit abrupt at the end.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ChuckDHead posted:

I still think that's a good arc based on a great concept. Read it again without the massive delays, and it's a mainly satisfying read, albeit one that feels a bit abrupt at the end.

Well yeah, because it didn't end.

Mainly I didn't like it because I just don't find Nice Pete a terribly compelling character. Also I am ideologically oppposed to any storyline which does not feature Roast Beef more prominently. :colbert:

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Dominion posted:

Well yeah, because it didn't end.

Mainly I didn't like it because I just don't find Nice Pete a terribly compelling character. Also I am ideologically oppposed to any storyline which does not feature Roast Beef more prominently. :colbert:

As far as I'm concerned it ended here. Just ignore that "continues" bit.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Awesome, we'll be getting one new comic and then Onstad will get depressed again after people don't send him thousands of dollars, and he'll go back to writing for Not-McSweeneys.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

ChuckDHead posted:

People who haven't heard about the circumstances will buy more merch if it is available. Will he get enough new traffic? There's another question where you kind of just have to wait and see.

Djolly
May 4, 2011

war. on drugs.
The question is how long it will take to get back to goodwill of the internet populace. One strip, five, nine? I dunno, I'm interested. And I expect the work will be quality, no matter what.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.
Goodwill? Who knows.

I won't lie, I will probably enjoy the old, good, free strip. However, I will not be paying for the fanflow or donating any money until the people who ordered Cookbook II get what they paid for. I hope everyone is on board with this.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Call me in 5 months, if he has posted consistently, I'll catch up and start paying attention again.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

McGravin posted:

Goodwill? Who knows.

I won't lie, I will probably enjoy the old, good, free strip. However, I will not be paying for the fanflow or donating any money until the people who ordered Cookbook II get what they paid for. I hope everyone is on board with this.

Same here. I would have shelled out the cash for the Fanflow to catch up on everything I missed, but I can't bring myself to give him money until he un-frauds himself.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Zefiel posted:

This may be Achewood Heresy, bu I honestly felt the strip lost a bit of steam after the GOF and never really recovered after the wedding. There were good strips after that, sure, but...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I understand people's complaints and fears and all that.... I'm just happy to get new Achewood strips :shobon:

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

ChuckDHead posted:

As far as I'm concerned it ended here. Just ignore that "continues" bit.

Now that you mention it, I think we were all in that van.

Can we get a :smith: with a cat face called :beef: :(

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Trouble Man posted:

This may be Achewood Heresy, bu I honestly felt the strip lost a bit of steam after the GOF and never really recovered after the wedding. There were good strips after that, sure, but...

Pretty much agreed. I think he should have ended it there (or after the Mexico arc, which I love). Achewood was solid gold for the first five years, after that it was never consistently great.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

It mostly just weirded me out that he was so concerned with coming across "formulaic," when most of the arcs start with "Ray has had a terrible idea for a business."

I mean, not that I'm complaining about that.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I really hope that when (if) Achewood comes back the first few strips aren't self-referential 'return from hiatus' humour. For some reason that drives me up the wall. It'd be so nice to just go straight into some kind of new arc and be able to pretend that this rather depressing year in Achewood never happened.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

glug posted:

Now that you mention it, I think we were all in that van.

Can we get a :smith: with a cat face called :beef: :(

We really do need some achewood emotes.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I really hope that when (if) Achewood comes back the first few strips aren't self-referential 'return from hiatus' humour. For some reason that drives me up the wall. It'd be so nice to just go straight into some kind of new arc and be able to pretend that this rather depressing year in Achewood never happened.

Two "return from hiatus" strips in a row would look pretty bad, hopefully he'll just dive into Ray coming up with some terrible new product and go from there.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Dominion posted:

Onstad just tweeted this:

How many times has it "resumed production" in the past several months? How many "okay let's try this again. hello!" false starts?

I can't say I'm particularly optimistic or credulous at this point.

McGravin posted:

Goodwill? Who knows.

I'm on your bandwagon.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Onstad needs to treat Achewood like a BBC television show. Every few years he says "I miss Achewood", dishes out a good amount of content over a chunk of time and stops. If he does another "series" of strips later that would be nice, but if not, everyone has the right expectations.

1 Side of the 0
Jan 28, 2005

Hyper Viper Beam? No, this is just a gun. It shoots holes in people. Bang.

grilldos posted:

Onstad needs to treat Achewood like a BBC television show. Every few years he says "I miss Achewood", dishes out a good amount of content over a chunk of time and stops. If he does another "series" of strips later that would be nice, but if not, everyone has the right expectations.

That would fit Onstad I think. I'd get behind it too.

If he said "New season of Achewood starts July 1st, ends September 31st" and then uses 3-4 months for his food review, respect me as an artist, pay content thing, I would be completely happy.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12052006

So which one of these panels has the correct head to use for a smith-like :roastbeef: or :rb: depression emoticon?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

glug posted:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12052006

So which one of these panels has the correct head to use for a smith-like :roastbeef: or :rb: depression emoticon?

I cant decide if it is better or worse to have the toast in the emoticon. I also sort of want a little animated Ray doing the gothic dance, sort of like the "run this poo poo into the ground guy"

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I don't remember any mention of Roast Beef trying anti-depressants, and that's always bugged me.

Has it been talked about in any of the expanded Achewood material?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Clitch posted:

I don't remember any mention of Roast Beef trying anti-depressants, and that's always bugged me.

Has it been talked about in any of the expanded Achewood material?

I can guarantee that Gramma K has convinced him that those fancy medicine pills are for quitters and the Rich.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Clitch posted:

He registered for a shitload of anti-depressants for his wedding

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Clitch posted:

Does the mood light to help with his SO-SAD count? I mean, Lyle was using it to grow one kind of anti-depressant.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I remember the registering for anti-depressants, and the sun lamp. The thing that bothers me is that nothing comes of either of them. I'm not expecting realism from my webcomics, but as someone whose life is night and day different with medication, it bugs me that it's never even addressed.

Roast Beef is a compelling character for a cartoon cat, but him never really trying to address his depression turns it into a gimmick. It's not like he's a little blue sometimes. The guy has debilitating depression that has a significant impact on his life. Doesn't he have health insurance from the greeting card thing?

And I just sperged pretty hard over a comic character. That's depressing.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
He's lived his whole life in a "depression" It is as much a part of his character and personality than any sort of chemical imbalance. You can act down and depressed and poo poo without being clinically depressed.

That sad cat should roll himself some MMDA.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Many pages back, we started casting people to play characters. Did we ever get good suggestions for Pat, Nice Pete and Cornelius?

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Clitch posted:

Roast Beef is a compelling character for a cartoon cat, but him never really trying to address his depression turns it into a gimmick. It's not like he's a little blue sometimes. The guy has debilitating depression that has a significant impact on his life. Doesn't he have health insurance from the greeting card thing?

To be honest, the refusal to even consider any major changes in Roast Beef's personality ever since the wedding arc really soured me on his character. I still love reading him and reading about him, but it's kind of obnoxious writing to have this massive build-up to the wedding, with Roast Beef slowly becoming optimistic about his life, and then oops no development at all for years. Roast Beef will always be Eeyore. He is the guy who sucks.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Cobweb Heart posted:

To be honest, the refusal to even consider any major changes in Roast Beef's personality ever since the wedding arc really soured me on his character. I still love reading him and reading about him, but it's kind of obnoxious writing to have this massive build-up to the wedding, with Roast Beef slowly becoming optimistic about his life, and then oops no development at all for years. Roast Beef will always be Eeyore. He is the guy who sucks.

That is actually what I like about him.

E: man now I am sad I never bought the "I'm the guy who sucks" shirt. And I never will get to. :smith:

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 2, 2011

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Having Roast Beef not be depressed is like having Garfield not like lasagna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dodgeball posted:

Having Roast Beef not be depressed is like having Garfield not like lasagna.