Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

xcore posted:

(beatles)
So yeah, i'm probably looking for the albums that are a bit more mainstream, but maybe the more earnest/rockier albums as opposed to the uber-hippy albums or the early/bland/pop/boy band type stuff.

Thing is, the Beatles pushed a lot of boundaries for their time. Not all of their "experimental stuff" is like Revolution #9 - a lot of it is pretty accessible by today's standards.

Revolver is my personal favourite, and I wouldn't say it's super out there or anything, but it's got a bit of a raw, "let's try out some new ideas" feel to it. It only has a bit of "eastern influence" :ohdear: if he can handle that. Rubber Soul has a similar feel.

Abbey Road isn't crazy, but again it's pretty inventive. But I don't think it would offend anyone who doesn't like trippy stuff.
The White Album is another pretty straight shot album that anyone would like, and bonus, it's a double LP. Funny thing is, it's actually very experimental. But only a few of the tracks (including Revolution #9) are super out there - the rest are very accessible, and a lot of really widely loved mid-career tracks are on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Tommy Callahan posted:

I've recently started watching The Boondocks and am surprised with the awesome types of music in the show. They even have MF DOOM and Madvillain, which are some of my favorite hip-hop acts. On a recent episode they were playing a beat which incorporated chinese instruments into it, and I was instantly hooked. I've been desperately trying to find some more hip-hop infused with chinese instruments. Any ideas?

Here's one classic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnbHQd0QBKs

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
I'm really into artists like Amon Tobin and pretty much everyone under the Ninja Tune label. However, I'm not really sure how to classify the music that they make. I've heard Amon Tobin primarily called a DnB artist but others disagree.

Anyways, what are some good, for the lack of a better word, electronic artists along the same lines? I'm into Bonobo and started listening to some DeadMau5 (which people tend to look down on for some reason), but I want something really good in that general realm of music.

Mogitis
Oct 15, 2008

My forehead's not that big, right?
I have no idea if any goon is like me and listens to bands like Go Radio, but if so... does anyone know any other band with the same level of musicianship and lyrical greatness? I just feel like any other song I hear can't touch the heart the band (or specifically, Jason Lancaster) puts into its music.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mogitis posted:

I have no idea if any goon is like me and listens to bands like Go Radio, but if so... does anyone know any other band with the same level of musicianship and lyrical greatness? I just feel like any other song I hear can't touch the heart the band (or specifically, Jason Lancaster) puts into its music.

I thought he sounded a little like Tom Dickins.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
I think I post a similar request to this one every half year or so when I run out of the stuff or get a late night urge for it but I want disturbing music. Stuff that makes your heart go weird and gives you nightmares. Something like The Drift by Scott Walker or The Big Bubble by The Residents maybe.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

swampland posted:

I think I post a similar request to this one every half year or so when I run out of the stuff or get a late night urge for it but I want disturbing music. Stuff that makes your heart go weird and gives you nightmares. Something like The Drift by Scott Walker or The Big Bubble by The Residents maybe.

Coil - scatology (actually most coil albums work too)
The Birthday Party - Mutiny!/The Bad Seed EPs
Viscera - A Whole Universe of Horror Movies
Cluster - Cluster

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

swampland posted:

I really liked your two, thanks.

In descending order of relevance:

Stuff in the "Rock in opposition" movement:
Univers Zero (Heresie is my favourite)
Art Zoyd - musique pour l'odyssée
Henry Cow

Also check out Gyorgy Ligeti (he made the creepy choir music in 2001: A Spacy Odyssey), Arnold Schönberg, and Edgar Varese's The Desert.

A bit different, but you might also like Magma (check out Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh). It's like if Carl Orff made creepy minimalist jazz in a constructed language from a fictional society on a distant planet after the earth has ended.

edit: totally different, but I really really like The Carny by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

swampland posted:

I rep him a lot, but pretty much everything by Leyland Kirby. V/Vm being his oldest and most hosed up alias:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eFgRXy432U

V/Vm was a pretty hilarious project, but unfortunately it got him into all sorts of legal trouble, so he started to do creepy Shining-influenced haunted ballroom jazz warpings as The Caretaker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9i8xFGN0BE

His stuff as Leyland Kirby is totally worthwhile too.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Some other great disturbing music makers are Enemite, Propergol, and The Axis of Perdition

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

slowdave posted:

I rep him a lot, but pretty much everything by Leyland Kirby. V/Vm being his oldest and most hosed up alias:

ahhaha this Wham remix owns

Scelsi is really good for unsettling orchestral pieces if that's your jam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLi3xxxjHDc

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012
I've been looking to get into Bluegrass for a while, any recommendations? I am sorry that this is the vaguest possible request but I am completely starting with a blank slate.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Thanks to everyone who recommended me disturbing music! Some great stuff there that should keep me sorted for at least another half year!
To The Doo Do Chasers I actually got my username from a song off of that Birthday Party album, so good.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Any other bands similar to The Naked And Famous?

I know they're heavily-influenced by M83 but I prefer their catchier style over the often drone/shoegazey approach of M83. I've heard of Passion Pit, Tim and Jean and Abe Vigoda already.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I'd like to find a modern band that plays odd songs in the retro style of The Cramps. Anything with a sound close to Psychedelic Jungle or Songs The Lord Taught Us would be great!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Nikolai Fuckharin posted:

I've been looking to get into Bluegrass for a while, any recommendations? I am sorry that this is the vaguest possible request but I am completely starting with a blank slate.

What got me into bluegrass was Russ Barenberg, Jerry Douglas, and Edgar Meyer's album Skip, Hop & Wobble. It's a fantastic instrumental bluegrass album, and a great introduction to the careers of all three of those musicians.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

swampland posted:

Thanks to everyone who recommended me disturbing music! Some great stuff there that should keep me sorted for at least another half year!
To The Doo Do Chasers I actually got my username from a song off of that Birthday Party album, so good.

Ha. Should have noticed that!

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

I want to make a slideshow of my year+ round-the-world solo backpacking trip in windows movie maker, and I'm looking for totally rad songs to go with it. I think I may need 10+ minutes so 3-4 suggestions would be awesome. What songs really get your imagination fired up when you hear them? Think party, scenery, alone, political violence, food, etc. shots. There are tons ^^

edit: Off topic, but if you have a recommendation for software other than Windows Movie Maker that would be sweet too. Hopefully cheap, and easy to put pictures to music with artistic captions flying all over the place.

Also! I'd like to know a nice way to sort my pics if possible. I'm not gonna go for a 1-to-1 picture to day ratio, but it'd be nice to be able to sort my stuff date/time-wise to provide a smooth timeline.

Laopooh fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 25, 2011

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Laopooh posted:

I want to make a slideshow of my year+ round-the-world solo backpacking trip in windows movie maker, and I'm looking for totally rad songs to go with it. I think I may need 10+ minutes so 3-4 suggestions would be awesome. What songs really get your imagination fired up when you hear them? Think party, scenery, alone, political violence, food, etc. shots. There are tons ^^

why do you need more than one song?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
A couple of oddly specific requests:

I want catchy, not especially abrasive industrial music I could put in an '80s mix. Something like All Day Remix by Ministry, or Feurio! by Einsturzende Neubauten.

Also, are there any good bootlegs of the last Jacksons tour with Michael, when they performed stuff from Thriller?

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

I want catchy, not especially abrasive industrial music I could put in an '80s mix. Something like All Day Remix by Ministry, or Feurio! by Einsturzende Neubauten.

How about Severed Heads, the king of slightly weird catchy industrial and cool computer videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrUfIIcK33A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjZK6sBDObM
There's an extended mix of Hot With Fleas with a cool video that's also on youtube but the sound quality for the one I could find is really poor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ-3VWFL23Y

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Rollersnake posted:

A couple of oddly specific requests:

Also, are there any good bootlegs of the last Jacksons tour with Michael, when they performed stuff from Thriller?

Liasons Dangerouses come to mind.

life of lemons
Sep 7, 2005

I steal stuff all the time.
I'm looking for something similar to Neil Young around After the Gold Rush and Harvest era. I really like his voice, but I'm not specifically asking for an artist that sounds like him, I just like unique and strong voices. I don't mind solo or in a band

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Where do I start with R. Kelly?

Oops. wrong thread! Oh well, I'll leave it here just in case.

the Bunt fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 26, 2011

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Laopooh posted:

The Mogwai tip was a good one. I'd check out Explosions in the Sky also. Not great for party/food scenes, but other stuff yes.

For something cheesily topical, try ELO's Stepping Out, or Jerry Garcia/John Kahn I've been all around this world.

Party/food, if it were me I'd go with some funk. James Brown has instant party results.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Hmm, thanks for the suggestions and personally I like the music so far, but it's not what I have in mind for the video. Something inspirational, emotional, radical, maybe a little more pop...I guess that's why I was thinking of doing 3-4 songs for it. Any other idea? What would you want to listen to for inspiration while looking at travel photos?

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
It's been about 2 years since Mew released No More Stories, and instead of continuing to re-listen to their back catalog, I'd like to check out other bands with similar sounds. I really like the catchy dark pop sound they do so well and the mixture of the high vocals and the way he holds the words and gives them a soft, distant feel.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Laopooh posted:

Hmm, thanks for the suggestions and personally I like the music so far, but it's not what I have in mind for the video. Something inspirational, emotional, radical, maybe a little more pop...I guess that's why I was thinking of doing 3-4 songs for it. Any other idea? What would you want to listen to for inspiration while looking at travel photos?

How about some El Guincho? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0owC49iIen8

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Laopooh posted:

Maybe some Anti-Flag? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI0Li0-_Yy0

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Michael Frank - Lotus Blossom

I need songs like this, or a place to find them. Really relaxing, soothing etc. Lyrics aren't necessary, genre doesn't really matter either but this is a really good example of a nice, calm song.

Lizard Giblets
Apr 26, 2010

Nikolai Fuckharin posted:

Check out Trampled by Turtles. I've been a fan of bluegrass for years, but these guys blow me away. They're probably not the traditional bluegrass that you may be looking for, but they're really worth a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjdkc14-zwQ

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

I just caught myself up on a year's worth of posts in this thread and now I have a list of 40+ arists and albums to check out. This thread is incredible!

But unfortunately, I have not found what I was specifically browsing for. I need to find heavy synth-based electronic music that frequently uses arpeggiation and evokes themes and moods of mysterious, almost alien-like qualities.

Music similar to The Knife's album "Silent Shout", including and especially the title track and Austra's self-titled, including the song "Beat and the Pulse".

If it helps, I'm in love with Depeche Mode's mid-80s era (like the b-side "In Your Memory") and anything Björk puts out (like "Army of Me"). In regards to The Knife, I prefer Silent Shout over their older stuff, and Karin Dreijer's Fever Ray material is a big favorite.

EDIT: In fact, anything like what I've posted would be awesome.

LoudLoudNoise fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 30, 2011

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anything else like Skrillex? Dubstep which is fast.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

unpurposed posted:

I'm really into artists like Amon Tobin and pretty much everyone under the Ninja Tune label. However, I'm not really sure how to classify the music that they make. I've heard Amon Tobin primarily called a DnB artist but others disagree.

Anyways, what are some good, for the lack of a better word, electronic artists along the same lines? I'm into Bonobo and started listening to some DeadMau5 (which people tend to look down on for some reason), but I want something really good in that general realm of music.
Let's see... I guess Amon Tobin is like experimental DnB sometimes, but like with his new LP sometimes he's experimental everything. I guess the name for that is "IDM":airquote: but it's kind of agreed on that it's a dumb name, so I will say it in another way. An experimental everything artist would be Aphex Twin (megathread here), and I would recommend looking into that direction.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I recently discovered this band called The Pepper Pots. They are a currently active band from Spain (I think) that makes upbeat soul music from an era that's older than I am. I love bands that make new old music.

HERE'S A LINK TO A GOOD'N

I'm interested in more artists like this, either similarly making sort of anachronistic music, or just making the same style as this group from back when it was something you could hear on the radio.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
So the other day I just started hearing some reggae, with no prior experience into it I need some recommendation on more reggae like the kind I've been listening to.

So far, I really like Alboroise's songs, mostly from his Rough Tune 2007 album, so like Kingston Town. I also heard a few songs by Damian Marley and I like it a lot too.

Any other recommendation for someone completely new to reggae? I guess the only experience i had is with Shaggy and some of the classic Bob Marley songs

links to what I've really liked so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNUdSgc0eh8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gixI2thU-8A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GZlJGERbvE

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 2, 2011

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Sorry if this is weird or too specific, but can anyone recommend songs with beats similar to these?

Army of the Pharaohs - Dump the Clip
Celph Titled - Real Villains
Apathy & Celph Titled - Drink Specials

I realize that Celph Titled is the common thing between these songs, but I dug through all of The Gatalog/AOTP albums and youtube/last.fm/Grooveshark/etc and didn't find much I liked. I didn't really like Jedi Mind Tricks either, maybe I'm just picky & retarded

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Brace posted:

Michael Frank - Lotus Blossom

I need songs like this, or a place to find them. Really relaxing, soothing etc. Lyrics aren't necessary, genre doesn't really matter either but this is a really good example of a nice, calm song.

Let's see - right now it would be classified as new weird america, so I can recommend: The Oaks, Calexico, Iron & Wine, Plants & Animals, Destroyer. But, if you're looking for some relaxing music I would take into account either some post rock - Do, Make, Say, Think, Balmorhea, Dancing Beggar, or some drone - Stars of the Lid. I used to find good folk bands on KUT, but now can't get the grasp of the new design - so here's a youtube search.

unpurposed posted:

Take a look at Flying Lotus - though I'm not a fan of it, it's in similar veins as Amon Tobin. Besides that I'd say that every glitch/trip-hop artist lands under the wings of either Ninja Tune, or Warp, so, already mentioned Aphex Twin, but also Gonja Sufi, Prefuse 73, Autechre. You might also check Ous Mal

edit: forgot to mention - thanks to the person that mentioned Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - it's a great listen.

canis minor fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 2, 2011

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

swagger like us posted:

So the other day I just started hearing some reggae, with no prior experience into it I need some recommendation on more reggae like the kind I've been listening to.

So far, I really like Alboroise's songs, mostly from his Rough Tune 2007 album, so like Kingston Town. I also heard a few songs by Damian Marley and I like it a lot too.

Any other recommendation for someone completely new to reggae? I guess the only experience i had is with Shaggy and some of the classic Bob Marley songs

links to what I've really liked so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNUdSgc0eh8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gixI2thU-8A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GZlJGERbvE

Those Alborosie songs are straight riffing on early '80s dancehall/deejay, such as:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBJPJKU7kuk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVDkBBsdhe8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmICNNX0_ak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af3kbT682YA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpivgO3QFbo (Jamaican music leans pretty heavily on the familiar tunes of earlier generations, a lot of hit songs use old instrumentals ("riddims"))

Modern dancehall favours the rougher stylings of Kartel, Mavado et al:

http://youtu.be/E0K5brjDO_E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glui5pKNYlU&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrygQNlV3b0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymDA_4PNlKM

But there's still people making "deep and rootsy" tunes, it's not as good as classic deejay stuff but there's some gems, and there was a lot of good stuff in this vein in the '90s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYpX2W-nimE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1ZB1gjKvJY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBqbTPKl8m0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kji2qk771pQ

Reggae is a singles genre - I don't even know which album, if any, most of these songs are on - so you're better off searching for good compilations. Try, for examples, King Jammy's Selectors Choice Vol. 1, Rough Inna Town - The Xterminator Sound, Conscious Ragga Vol. 2, Rastafari Lives - Best of Roots Vol. 1, and such.

I'll shut up now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Looking for good Japanese music. No J-Rock. I prefer things along the lines of either Envy/Heaven In Her Arms and Eastern Youth/NUMBER GIRL.