Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006
When all is said and done.
2 days late, a whole host of symptoms, took a test. Negative. Now, after 6 months of perfect periods I'm late? With nausea, feeling light headed, slight cramping on and off, darker areola's and my boobs are veiny all of a sudden. And the stupid test is negative.

gently caress you, PCOS. gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
Give it more time. I really hate to try to get your hopes up, but the areola thing was the kicker for me. When those are suddenly darker and larger...

Anyway, Just give it another week before being disappointed.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006

jota23 posted:

Give it more time. I really hate to try to get your hopes up, but the areola thing was the kicker for me. When those are suddenly darker and larger...

Anyway, Just give it another week before being disappointed.

Thanks. I'm trying not to. My mom told me the same thing. She didn't test positive with me using a pee stick til she was 4 months along. And had periods the first 3 months (she felt 'off' and knew something was up, so she kept testing). Then she didn't test positive with my sister til she was 3 months, even though she hadn't had a period the entire time, but chalked it up to PCOS and coming off birth control. She asked the OB/GYN she works for and she said she's heard of this happening to daughters, something about the hcg not coming out in urine as early and it seems genetic. I don't know if it's true, but a Dr. said it.

Still no period though. Everything's still the same. I'm giving it another week and testing, if a no go, I guess I'll go to the Dr. and ask for blood work and see if they can figure out what the hell is going on. I'm not optimistic about this though because I need a RE and Guam doesn't have any. So, I get military physicians.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I was 7 weeks pregnant, so 5 weeks past conception, when I finally tested positive, and I am a PCOS sufferer too (although, ironically, I didn't get a diagnosis until after I had Cecilia). I don't know if PCOS itself is to blame for late positives, but there it is.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Erm, so think I've gone and got myself knocked up.

Sadly, I only have some very crappy cheap tests from eBay to go on. Used evening pee and got a faint but definite line. Used another a few hours later and still a line there. Not that clear, but I'm guessing that's because I didn't use morning pee to test. Shops now closed here, so have a long sleepless night ahead before I can buy a decent digital one.

Its been a frustrating few months, but this could finally be it! Weirdly enough, I have spent the last month so busy with work and studying that i've had no time to chart, symptom spot and generally obsess like I usually do. drat it, those assholes who go on about "relax and it'll happen" might actually be right.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.

netally posted:

Erm, so think I've gone and got myself knocked up.

Sadly, I only have some very crappy cheap tests from eBay to go on. Used evening pee and got a faint but definite line. Used another a few hours later and still a line there. Not that clear, but I'm guessing that's because I didn't use morning pee to test. Shops now closed here, so have a long sleepless night ahead before I can buy a decent digital one.

Its been a frustrating few months, but this could finally be it! Weirdly enough, I have spent the last month so busy with work and studying that i've had no time to chart, symptom spot and generally obsess like I usually do. drat it, those assholes who go on about "relax and it'll happen" might actually be right.

A false positive is reallllllly really unlikely. I'd say you're having a baby :D

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?
Well, here I am.
My husband and I have been married 4 years and together for 7, we bought a house a year ago, and my job loves me, and keeps giving me raises :).
We've decided to embark on the magical (barf and pooptastic?) adventure of children.
Birth control comes out on July 10th (nuva ring), then away we go to Maui for "one last vacation" at the end of July (right about the time that a bunch of random websites say I should be fertile, yay?)...
Yeah, I'm nervous/scared... I don't know what worries me more, having a baby, or NOT having a baby.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
After a few days of spotting my wife has a period like flow now. Sounds like we lost it :(. We have an appointment for later today to confirm.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
We saw our family doc and he didn't clear up much. He said it was unlikely that it's a miscarriage due to the low flow and no cramps and that 1 in 4 women have bleeding during their pregnancy however if she was in the process of a miscarriage there's nothing that can be done anyways.

Basically we have to wait for another 4 weeks for our first OB appointment to learn for sure if it's still a pregnancy or not.

The Heartless
Nov 7, 2006
Hopefully all turns out well, Canuckistan.

On the other hand, my period is still missing. Ugh. No more symptoms really. Other than daily headaches, random cramping and that 'if I don't eat NOW I'm going to get sick' feeling. I took another test yesterday when I was 8 days late and still negative.

I'm set to go to the Dr. next week to get some blood work done and see what's going on. Hopefully I can get myself sorted out and go back to trying.

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl
For those who responded to my previous post about implantation bleeding, I have a follow up now. I took two pregnancy tests which were both negative and went to a second opinion with another OB/GYN today. I do like him better than my previous one, she told me it's irregular bleeding from stopping the birth control and said I could either go back on birth control or just let it go it's course. The new doctor did a physical exam and some blood work, a urine pregnancy test which was negative, told me that I have a yeast infection, which caught me off guard as I have no symptoms and he said is not unusual, finally he scheduled me for an ultra sound in 4 weeks to check out my ovries and uterus. He also gave me medroxyprogesterone and said the bleeding between periods could be remaining uterine lining that didn't shed during my period, so I am to take that every night for 10 nights and begin tonight. I am very pleased with his attention to my concern about the irregular bleeding and my husband's and my desire to start a family. He said the blood work will test for thyroid function and I forgot the other test he ordered on the blood work.

One thing he said got me thinking, he said sometimes women who are slightly overweight, which he said "you fall into that category", don't ovulate regularly. At least he didn't say "you're fat" but he suggested I loose some weight and that may return my cycles to normal. They aren't bad, just vary from 24 to 34 days since stopping the pill. I got to thinking, I know of women who got pregnant that were much bigger than I am. So I'm curious how many overweight women have been successful about getting pregnant? As embarrassing as this is I will say that I'm 5' 4.5" tall (yes that .5 is important :) ) and sadly 207 pounds, I am muscular, at least more so than my friends, thanks to gym workouts before my wedding to tone up some so I didn't have flabby arms in my beautiful strapless dress. I found out today I have a large frame too and carry my weight well. The hubby and I are going to start exercising and eating right as I heard that is important to do pre pregnancy. So hopefully it'll go down, but is my weight going to prevent pregnancy until I lose my goal 50 pounds? I don't want to wait that long. Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I got pregnant with PCOS, at 180 lbs and 5' tall, so definitely overweight for my height.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

I got pregnant, also with PCOS, at 183lbs and 5'4. My highest weight while trying to conceive was 206, so I think losing some weight helped a bit, although my original doctor--not the OB I eventually worked with--pretty much said there was absolutely no way I was going to get pregnant until I was around 170. So, ha! I did a ton of weightlifting too, once I started exercising and eating healthier, so at least SOME of that weight was muscle underneath my fat. It's good that you found a doctor who's willing to listen to you! That really made a huge difference to me and I hope it does for you too.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

DrPepperholik posted:

One thing he said got me thinking, he said sometimes women who are slightly overweight, which he said "you fall into that category", don't ovulate regularly. At least he didn't say "you're fat" but he suggested I loose some weight and that may return my cycles to normal. They aren't bad, just vary from 24 to 34 days since stopping the pill. I got to thinking, I know of women who got pregnant that were much bigger than I am. So I'm curious how many overweight women have been successful about getting pregnant? As embarrassing as this is I will say that I'm 5' 4.5" tall (yes that .5 is important :) ) and sadly 207 pounds, I am muscular, at least more so than my friends, thanks to gym workouts before my wedding to tone up some so I didn't have flabby arms in my beautiful strapless dress. I found out today I have a large frame too and carry my weight well. The hubby and I are going to start exercising and eating right as I heard that is important to do pre pregnancy. So hopefully it'll go down, but is my weight going to prevent pregnancy until I lose my goal 50 pounds? I don't want to wait that long. Thanks for reading my ramblings.

You should head on over to this thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3407406

I've been low carbing for one month and I've lost 25 pounds. I don't have insurance till the end of this month so I'm working on losing weight before I can go to the gyno and really start trying to get pregnant again. I'm officially overweight and no longer obese. Its seriously the only diet that works for me. I've tried other diets and lots of exercise, and I was gaining weight.

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Thanks for your responses so far! I really appreciate the nice non-judgmental replies! Hopefully with support from my husband I can lose even 10 pounds and it'll make a difference. I'm going to use ovulation test strips to see if I am ovulating normally and maybe that's just an idea the doctor threw out there as a possibility, he didn't say that it was the case. But I am glad I found one I like!

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
I have "mild" PCOS and am around 5'6" and 165 lbs. My doctor told me that I need to lose at least 15 pounds in order to increase my chances of ovulation. I guess it's pretty common advice. I have a hard time convincing myself to lose weight when I just plan on gaining it again...

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.
Plenty of people don't gain a lot during their pregnancies. If you're already on the heavier side, most OBs will advise against gaining weight as long as you're meeting your daily caloric intake needed to sustain a life in your uterus. I don't know how you normally eat, but cutting things out like caffeine and excess sugar (which aren't good for baby growing anyway) might bring a lot of the weight off. I remember hearing that low carb is not good for while you're pregnant, unless you have gestational diabeetus. I'm still working on trying to cut soda out of my life because I'd like to try the next pregnancy eating a lot better than I did for my first one.

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Soda was actually what I gave up during Lent this year, not that bad. I never lost a pound in those 40 days though. Sugary stuff I do eat occasionally, usually if I have a craving for something sweet I get a little something then bring the remainder in for my work buddies, if I just ignored it I'd over eat it eventually. Carbs are an important part of our diets, they are necessary but more complex carbs take longer to be absorbed by the body so they give energy for a longer duration than simple carbs. I switched over to wheat stuff and can't stand white bread anymore, too sweet.

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Has anyone taken medroxyprogesterone? I have been taking it for 5 days, I still have 5 to go but don't have my period yet, is it supposed to come while I'm taking this medicine or when I'm done with it?

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

I took progesterone for five days and two or three days after the last pill, I got my period. My OB said it was a withdrawal bleed, so I assume it comes after you stop the last pill. I only took it for 5 days, though, so maybe I was on a higher dose that affected when I bled.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
I've taken a bunch of pregnancy tests in the past few months to see if I was pregnant. (We're semi trying, but not too hard.) All of them have been negative, even when my period was over a week late. Now, it's been 3 weeks since the date of conception would have been. I used a digital test that said "Pregnant" and had a very strong second blue line when I pulled it out of the tester.

I checked online and saw there's not a whole lot of likelyhood that it's a false positive. Should I wait a few days before testing again? (Sorry if this is asked a lot, I didn't see it recently and there's not much of an OP.)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
You can wait if you want to... but I don't think there's any reason to! by the time I got a strong positive, I tested positive even with middle-of-the-day pee, so you could try that too. Or you could call up your obgyn and make your first prenatal appointment :)

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

DrPepperholik posted:

Has anyone taken medroxyprogesterone? I have been taking it for 5 days, I still have 5 to go but don't have my period yet, is it supposed to come while I'm taking this medicine or when I'm done with it?

I've done two rounds now. The doctor told me that 7-10 days after finishing the meds that I would have my period. It's worked that way both times for me. The first one was pretty heavy because I got put on for having cycles of up to like 100 days... The second one was much lighter, though.

Good luck!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

car dance posted:

I've taken a bunch of pregnancy tests in the past few months to see if I was pregnant. (We're semi trying, but not too hard.) All of them have been negative, even when my period was over a week late. Now, it's been 3 weeks since the date of conception would have been. I used a digital test that said "Pregnant" and had a very strong second blue line when I pulled it out of the tester.

I checked online and saw there's not a whole lot of likelyhood that it's a false positive. Should I wait a few days before testing again? (Sorry if this is asked a lot, I didn't see it recently and there's not much of an OP.)

Yeah false positives are exceedingly rare and generally related some types of fertility or hormonal medication. So it's fairly safe to say you've got a bun in the oven! Congrats! :D

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
Thanks guys! I just see on the internet a lot about "chemical pregnancy" and I'm not sure if I should be concerned if that's what this is. I'm going to be refraining from telling anyone for a while anyway obviously, so if it is, it's no big deal. At least I know I'm definitely pregnant now. We'll see if I stay this way! :3:

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

car dance posted:

Thanks guys! I just see on the internet a lot about "chemical pregnancy" and I'm not sure if I should be concerned if that's what this is. I'm going to be refraining from telling anyone for a while anyway obviously, so if it is, it's no big deal. At least I know I'm definitely pregnant now. We'll see if I stay this way! :3:

Congratulations! It's very weird seeing that first positive. I had the same reaction and tried to talk myself into thinking it wasn't real.

Most chemical pregnancies seem to be from taking tests before your period is due. You see them a lot on those pregnancy forums because people seem to obsessively know their cycles and will test constantly.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Not sure yet but I'm wondering if my wife might be pregnant.

Backstory is that we are both early 30's and after a rash of friends starting to pop we had a talk and she decided to come off the pill. Since then she's had her first non-pill period right on time. Every time except our anniversary in June I've used a condom as i understand you are supposed to get 2-3 periods out of the way first (i think?).

She's now a week late for her period. I know it can take a while for things to settle down after the pill sometimes so the chances of one go hitting the target are low.

Any thoughts beyond leave it a few weeks and see if the next period kicks in? If there's no sign after then I'll suggest getting a test from the chemists.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Mr Darcy posted:

Backstory is that we are both early 30's and after a rash of friends starting to pop we had a talk and she decided to come off the pill. Since then she's had her first non-pill period right on time. Every time except our anniversary in June I've used a condom as i understand you are supposed to get 2-3 periods out of the way first (i think?).

She's now a week late for her period. I know it can take a while for things to settle down after the pill sometimes so the chances of one go hitting the target are low.

Any thoughts beyond leave it a few weeks and see if the next period kicks in? If there's no sign after then I'll suggest getting a test from the chemists.
If she's a week late for her period, get a test now. For most people, tests will show up from the first day of the missed period, if not sooner. BTW there is no requirement to get 2-3 periods out of the way before trying.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

slinkimalinki posted:

If she's a week late for her period, get a test now. For most people, tests will show up from the first day of the missed period, if not sooner. BTW there is no requirement to get 2-3 periods out of the way before trying.

Cheers, I'll see what happens over the weekend before running the idea past her. It'll be sods law if she is pregnant though, i was hoping for a few months of fun trying first.

I think the 2-3 period thing came from the doctor, with a regular period it's supposed to be easier to estimate the hatching date? Of course I'm aware that scans are more accurate, we'd decided to stop the condoms after the next period anyway.

I'll update when I know more.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Mr Darcy posted:

Yeah, I'd get a test now. If she's pregnant it will definitely show up. Better to know as soon as possible so you can start preparing! It -can- take awhile after going off the pill to get pregnant but it is absolutely possible for it to happen right away - I got pregnant with my daughter pretty much immediately after stopping the pill.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Normal service has been resumed. Period was just running a week late, maybe next time.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

Mr Darcy posted:

Normal service has been resumed. Period was just running a week late, maybe next time.

I'm so sorry.

Question for all: How do you deal with the way other people treat you? And with the feelings you have when you find out other people are pregnant?

For instance, no one really knows we're trying, so people bug us about having kids. We're young, we've been married for three years, and especially since I work with teenagers, they like to harass me about having children. I've been pretty good about reacting to them so far, but 13 months in... it's getting harder and harder to deal with.

I'm also finding it harder and harder to be happy for people I know who get pregnant. (And I have a difficult time not getting pretty darn angry when my teenagers get pregnant!) How do you deal with those emotions?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I got really depressed and sad/angry today because one of my friends at work told me his wife just found out she's pregnant.

She's the biggest loving bitch in the world and they almost got a divorce less than a year ago because she's a loving psycho and will raise some messed up kids. I almost cried. It'll be 3 years of trying in December. Thankfully I'll be getting insurance again at the end of this month.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.
I'm sorry about that Alterian. :( Maybe it will just add to the already overabundant appreciation you will have for your future kids? I'm glad to hear you'll have insurance soon. It will be nice to be able to just go and tell them "Figure out why this isn't happening!" and having a definite answer.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

SassySally posted:

I'm so sorry.

Hey, don't worry about it! We were only going to start trying after the late period was over anyway. So this was more a case of us getting "twitchy" when she was a week late, which I understand can happen after you come off the pill?

Our game plan for the next few months is just to have fun and see what happens without working out most fertile times etc. If we are still trying in a while then we'll get more technical, but for now we just aim to have fun.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Mr Darcy posted:

Hey, don't worry about it! We were only going to start trying after the late period was over anyway. So this was more a case of us getting "twitchy" when she was a week late, which I understand can happen after you come off the pill?

Our game plan for the next few months is just to have fun and see what happens without working out most fertile times etc. If we are still trying in a while then we'll get more technical, but for now we just aim to have fun.

After coming off birth control, periods can be wonky for a little while. It might just be from something as simple as her period adjusting to be at the same time as the women she hangs with regularly.

I think you're right on with just having fun. The "just see what happens" method works really well for most people. I got knocked up immediately, and my best friend (who started trying at the same time) got pregnant just two months later. All your wife needs to do is take a prenatal vitamin daily, keep stress levels low, and have fun during sexy time. If there's no reason to worry about conception (like PCOS, other reproductive health problems, etc.), I think we're better off just not worrying about it more than necessary.

On a tangential subject - sometimes I feel really guilty that I got pregnant so quickly and easily, especially when I come across a stories of people who have spent ages trying everything under the sun. Maybe this is just my crazy preggo hormones talking, but it makes me want to be a surrogate or gestational carrier sometime in the future to sort of 'pay it foward' or something like that.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

MoCookies posted:

On a tangential subject - sometimes I feel really guilty that I got pregnant so quickly and easily, especially when I come across a stories of people who have spent ages trying everything under the sun. Maybe this is just my crazy preggo hormones talking, but it makes me want to be a surrogate or gestational carrier sometime in the future to sort of 'pay it foward' or something like that.

If it doesn't work for us and we get to our financial and emotional limit, we're going to adopt. If it comes to the point where the next procedure would cost as much as an adoption, I would rather adopt a child. I wouldn't be super picky, I would even take a toddler and I don't care what race. I don't think we could adopt a special needs child though. We plan to eventually move out into the sticks and it probably wouldn't be feasible. Our plan was to have 2 children naturally and adopt one anyway.

I just want a little someone to teach cool things to and raise them to be great adults. My husband and I already have all the things we want to do and teach our kids. My husband is even getting into a carrier where he'll only have to work about 25 hours a week and can spend the rest of the time at home with them.

Edit: Its also a lot of pressure since my husband and I will be the only one having any kids on both side of our family. My mom gives me a lot of anxiety about having a kid. (I haven't told her we're trying. I don't need that stress) I'm not sure how she would feel if we adopted a kid. She can be a giant bitch about weird things.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 10, 2011

DrPepperholik
Jul 15, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Another question for those who took medroxyprogesterone, I took it for 10 days and finished on Friday. I am so hot, it's driving my husband crazy as he's freezing. I don't recall exactly if I felt like this before Friday, but I know I felt like this yesterday. Is that a common after effect of medroxyprogesterone?

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

DrPepperholik posted:

Another question for those who took medroxyprogesterone, I took it for 10 days and finished on Friday. I am so hot, it's driving my husband crazy as he's freezing. I don't recall exactly if I felt like this before Friday, but I know I felt like this yesterday. Is that a common after effect of medroxyprogesterone?

I haven't had that issue, and I don't remember reading it on the label/ info packet, but that doesn't really mean much. My major side effect is that from the time I finished the pills until I was finished with my period my breasts were really sore. Like REALLY sore. I don't remember it from the first round of the pills, but this second time it was bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Bad news.
The HCG numbers never looked right, and the doctor became concerned of ectopic. We had an ultrasound, and it appears that the developing mass is wedged in a tube. They estimated at about 7mm.

So my wife got the shot, and has been grieving ever since. So far, it doesn't seem to be any change, and she keeps taking pregnancy tests and they are coming out still darker since the shot. Any ideas? next blood test is wednesday.

Sorry to depress the thread.

• Locked thread