Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

My Spirit Otter posted:

We must be, but it's definitely not for exceptional MCpls. I know this from experience

I re-read his post and you're talking about the same thing.

Subjectively exceptional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

SpaceMost posted:

... Then can I be an officer? :3:

Sure, you'll just be the one 40 year old on course who knows how everything is done and has to barely restrain himself from killing all the stupid 2LTs that he has to take phase 4 with. But you'll probably get TC anyhow, mainly since the rest of us can barely dress ourselves, let alone have fieldcraft.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

Simkin posted:

If, on the other hand, you love Microsoft Outlook and Powerpoint, and give a gently caress about whether your correspondence is all in TIMES NEW ROMAN(!) 10 font, with two spaces, properly indented, and OH GOD WHERE IS MY STAPLER... Umm, yeah, join us.

I absolutely loving love how you turned from "Hey dudes, new unit! This is going to be cool." to "gently caress me, gently caress this, gently caress everybody, kill me with a ball peen hammer."

In an estimated ten pages no less.

And those Sgts aren't having a good time either. I mean, when Poffley pops smoke you know it's time to get the gently caress out. Everybody hates their lives these days.

On the other hand, the TO we have now is fairly decent. While I do pick on him alot, I think he'll turn out to be a pretty good officer overall and I'm actually pleased for once.

Doesn't hurt that he let me build some adventure training for the Pl before I leave.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

drat, all this talk is really depressing considering I was recently accepted into ROTP as an Infantry Officer. Do the opportunities look any better in the next 2-4 years or am I going to feel compelled to off myself part way through? Furthermore, what kind of opportunities might exist for an Infantry Officer post-Afghanistan?

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 24, 2011

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah I'm glad I got out when I did. I kinda started to see the writing on the wall when 56FD down in St Catharines lost their guns for mortars. Dudes in my unit were like "WELP we're still the senior arty unit in the country we're never getting our guns taken away!" while half the year we didn't even HAVE any because some stupid gently caress tried to perform an unload with a motherfucking cam-pole and we had to rebarrel the gun/steal some other unit's gun.

The C3 is a 70 year old platform at this point, there will be no further upgrades, 105 is 100% useless in a tactical environment because it's role is either filled by mortars carried by front-line units, 155mm in the rear or aircraft dropping precision munitions. 105 is not big enough for the rounds per minute the C3 can pump out and the reserves are just goading the old girls along until they're gate-queens at some soon-to-be-shut base.

It honestly looks to me that the CF is going in the direction of a severely downsized force, focused on rapid deployment. We're gonna see some serious churn in the next few years as Afghanistan dies down which sucks because the guys that were there and could teach the good lessons are gonna see the writing on the wall and peace the gently caress out.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

MagicCube posted:

drat, all this talk is really depressing considering I was recently accepted into ROTP as an Infantry Officer. Do the opportunities look any better in the next 2-4 years or am I going to feel compelled to off myself part way through? Furthermore, what kind of opportunities might exist for an Infantry Officer post-Afghanistan?

We recently had our recce pl commander complete his ranger and freefall courses. There's always opportunity if you're pretty checked out; Cambrian Patrol as I mentioned before is an incredibly ambitious project to oversee, and we've been trying forever to teach officers how to properly employ snipers since it's apparently only like one 40-minute class on your phase training.

Like I said before, if you have a good attitude and can really identify yourself as a good, keen soldier and an effective leader, you can still go far.

edit:

MA-Horus posted:

We're gonna see some serious churn in the next few years as Afghanistan dies down which sucks because the guys that were there and could teach the good lessons are gonna see the writing on the wall and peace the gently caress out.

This is the biggest problem the CF is going to face in the next few years, I think.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Wasn't there talk of opening a base(s) in the Arctic, or even some rumors of overseas bases for quicker deployment to humanitarian crisis zones?

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Quite happy as an NCM, tyvm. :)

MARS officers can keep their exciting world of backstabbing and douchbagery. I have to believe that the navy has the worst officers in the CF.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
the "overseas bases" is just talk between respective governments of securing permission ahead of time to set up bases near areas we would potentially operate in. Much like the U.S. has permission to base troops in most of the world. It would allow us to not be caught flat-footed like we were when the U.A.E. forced us out.

Speaking of the Cambrian Patrol, this is the 2nd year running now that we've been preparing for it. The new C.O. wants to tie it into the 150th anniversary of our unit. They've taken the pick of the litter and made a miniature recce platoon (it's more of a reinforced section with back-up guys to be honest). Like Acumen says, It's not all gloom and doom. Excel at your job and never turn down a course. There's plenty of opportunity out there and you will be rewarded if you put in the effort.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Barrakketh posted:

I, for one, enjoy chatting with the coleman stove at 03:00 AM. :colbert:

Well, I have to say, a nice hour long stroll at 3 am in -40 weather isn't all that bad.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Barrakketh posted:

I, for one, enjoy chatting with the coleman stove at 03:00 AM. :colbert:

As the tank runs dry and you find out the last man on shift didnt fill up the secondary fuel tank. So you have to go outside and fill both.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.

Fraser CDN posted:

As the tank runs dry and you find out the last man on shift didnt fill up the secondary fuel tank. So you have to go outside and fill both.

Where you discover someone has looted your funnel and your back-up funnel from the spares kit box. So you pour as much naphta on your hands as you do in the cells.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

ub posted:

Quite happy as an NCM, tyvm. :)

MARS officers can keep their exciting world of backstabbing and douchbagery. I have to believe that the navy has the worst officers in the CF.

You know for all their lovely personality issues I know a fuckton of extremely competent MARS officers. There's a ton less backstabbing in subs too.

Unlike the rest of the navy, subs are actually looking at having more platorms than we can crew next year (that would be three), so it will be super quick advancement for any mars or engineering officer that want to cross over.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Hey, is it a bad thing if an officer in your chain tells you "you have a very expressive face"

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
It means some officer spent alot of time gazing lovingly at your face.

It doesn't mean anything about you except that people occasionally have a laugh at your expense. Don't worry about it.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
So, I've been scratching my head apart trying to find maps online with a basic UTM/MGRS grid overlay. I can find topo maps fine enough using canada's toporama and geogratis, but the best map I found doesn't have the gridlines on it. Yeah I could grab some maps from my unit but my CQ seems pretty adamant that "You can just get the maps online!" which I so far haven't been able to my liking

I'm going camping and such and I figure I might as well fool around with a compass while I'm out there. Anyone got any ideas? I got a bigass topo map of the area I want, unfortunately it doesn't have the standard 100m gridlines and UTM numbers that I am so used to. Sorry if I seem to be giving too much of a gently caress, but I dont know, I havent touched a map and compass in awhile so why not with my summer off right now and now that Im going Officer last thing I want is to get ridiculed because Im a former infantry corporal who can't nav worth poo poo.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Morristron posted:

I absolutely loving love how you turned from "Hey dudes, new unit! This is going to be cool." to "gently caress me, gently caress this, gently caress everybody, kill me with a ball peen hammer."

In an estimated ten pages no less.

Yep. Maybe it was Suffield, maybe it was living in the shacks, or maybe it's just something in the air. :iiam:

quote:

On the other hand, the TO we have now is fairly decent. While I do pick on him alot, I think he'll turn out to be a pretty good officer overall and I'm actually pleased for once.

Be careful with him, he's quite fragile.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Simkin posted:

Yep. Maybe it was Suffield, maybe it was living in the shacks, or maybe it's just something in the air. :iiam:

I'm with the guns, I was at the position with the triple 7s and mortars. The RCHA biv site was loving attrocious, or so I thought until I visted 3VP. My god, you couldn't get anywhere in that place without being up to your knees in dirt. Also the out-route, goddamn, the out-route. I thought I wouldn't make it out, the water/mud was up to the bottom of the goddamn bushguard. Suffield was a good go for the guns, but seriously gently caress that place.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

Simkin posted:

Be careful with him, he's quite fragile.

Pfft. If we can turn some of that nervous new guy into bitter vet and get him demanding more of his troops without losing his want to look out for them I would take that as a Maj any day of the week. And I'm sure he can handle it. I think it's just a matter of time in.

Also, I'm turning in every bit of kit I own less two sets of combats on Monday. gently caress yes.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Morristron posted:

Also, I'm turning in every bit of kit I own less two sets of combats on Monday. gently caress yes.
So jealous, I've got 4 more months

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Have I mentioned, recently, just how much anyone thinking of joining as an officer should avoid the infantry? Maybe I can make it a standing Public Service Announcement. :smithicide:

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
Navy engineering or logistics officers: come on in, the water's fine!

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

That's good to hear. I'm currently working through the application process to become a NCSE. The next NOAB isn't until October though, so I have much more waiting to do.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.
I just shredded both my heels off on Monday during a BFT. Never having had even a blister in all the marches I have done before, somehow this time I completely decimate my feet.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Elgar posted:

I just shredded both my heels off on Monday during a BFT. Never having had even a blister in all the marches I have done before, somehow this time I completely decimate my feet.

What boots were you wearing? GPs, gortex, desert boots? Maybe you need new insoles.

I'm guessing from what I've been reading that there aren't any officer spots open for prior-service reservists. I wouldn't even be considering it until September 2012.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Depends on the trade, I'd guess. That far out, it's anyone's guess. We may have all been fired and replaced with contractors by then. :iiam:

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Woo four day weekend and my unit is #1 in DUIs Canada-wide, or perhaps just 1CMBG wide

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Who's got two thumbs and is duty officer (again) for the whole weekend?

ninja edit: please, oh please let nobody try to jump off a bridge or in front of a train goddamnit.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

MA-Horus posted:

What boots were you wearing? GPs, gortex, desert boots? Maybe you need new insoles.

I'm guessing from what I've been reading that there aren't any officer spots open for prior-service reservists. I wouldn't even be considering it until September 2012.

It was a pair or corcorans. They were fine before, but they just tore my feet apart.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

Simkin posted:

Who's got two thumbs and is duty officer (again) for the whole weekend?

ninja edit: please, oh please let nobody try to jump off a bridge or in front of a train goddamnit.

Could be worse. You could be the BOS. They actually have to stay in the building. Assuming nobody offs themselves you can just do what you were going to do anyways but not get drunk.

Unless there's more to the duty officer thing than I thought there was.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Well, at least this weekend I'm not on extras. If that were the case, I may as well be BOS, as I'm meant to sleep in the Bn building, and wear 3Bs around, like a pretty princess.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Got promoted to PO2 today. Immediately after which I was handed a pair of Officer Cadet slip ons. From an almost somebody to an absolute nobody in 10 seconds flat. At least I got to sign as a PO2 at clothing stores when I got more OCdt slip ons...

That said, this is now going to be the most stress free time I've ever had in the forces, because I have literally no boss and no job until I go to school Sept 7th. I cannot remember being this relaxed since I swore in.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Weird, I would have figured that CFR'ng from PO2 would leave you at least as a 2LT.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Well congrats (I guess?)!!

In other news, I got a call this week while on leave - looks like I just won a six-month all-expenses paid cruise to the mediterranean, and we leave in a week. Wish me luck!

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
Happy Canada day you drunkards!

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Simkin posted:

Weird, I would have figured that CFR'ng from PO2 would leave you at least as a 2LT.

I'm UTPNCM so I'm an OCdt until I finish school, at which point I'll get 1Lt.

It's still confusing because all the references are very old (they refer to "UTPM", University Training Plan, Men) and I swear I saw a UTP I know wandering around with 2Lt on while he was still in school.

It doesn't matter much because I'm a civilian most of the year.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Ten days before I deploy to Afgh. Happy Canada Day all!

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
FG;GL

Tell us if anything actually happens. Now that our combat roll is over they'll finally capture that 82mm recoilless rifle.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I just got bugged out to fight floods in Manitoba, again. I swear, I'll murder everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

You know, This is the first summer in 6 years now I'm not wearing combats every morning. The first summer in 6 years I'm not melting and choking on dust out on the prairies or freezing my nuts off in Val (-5 at night in August?). I've got 2 months of beard going strong and another 2 months to go before I have to shave it again.

For the first time ever I flat out refused a call to come in and work a week-end at the armoury. I don't know who was more shocked, my I/C or or myself. A strange mixture of elation and dread over that. It's finally hit me how badly I needed a vacation.

Have a picture from an old friend whose been fighting the floods in Manitoba.

1VP to the rescue