Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Range is easy enough, as I highly doubt the interference does anything to rangefinding lasers.

The EM interference effects all weapons (even lasers). It's not random because it's an actual rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

PoptartsNinja posted:

The EM interference effects all weapons (even lasers). It's not random because it's an actual rule.

Yes, but that's targeting interference. I'm not talking about interfering with your targeting for your weapon lasers, which you only get to fire once in a while, but a little rangefinding laser installed as part of those "Sensor" crits in your cockpit. Like a laser-pointer, it sweeps across the landscape with your targeting reticule, and you can simply sweep it across a distant object or 'mech to get a range on them. Hell, this would probably be automatic, ala Mechwarrior 4 showing you the range on your HUD from your 'mech to whatever's under your reticule.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Question to the assembled: I am thinking it might be good for us frontal elements to hold position (well, probably walk forward 1 in my case) for one turn to let the jump jetting left flank and our slowpokes catch up before we go over the top

Is this a good or terrible plan

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Hey guys. I appreciate that your mechs are super fast and cool, but it might be a good idea to let us heavies roll in first and take the brunt of enemy fire.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Gothsheep posted:

Hey guys. I appreciate that your mechs are super fast and cool, but it might be a good idea to let us heavies roll in first and take the brunt of enemy fire.

This is it, the sum total of player discussion and cooperation for this scenario. Prepare for a bloodbath.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

This is it, the sum total of player discussion and cooperation for this scenario. Prepare for a bloodbath.

Good point. I'll let you guys know what I'm doing here: I sent in my orders to move to hex 1728 (five north of where I am now, and one to face that direction) and fire my ER PPC at F2, if the shot is possible.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

UberJew posted:

Question to the assembled: I am thinking it might be good for us frontal elements to hold position (well, probably walk forward 1 in my case) for one turn to let the jump jetting left flank and our slowpokes catch up before we go over the top

Is this a good or terrible plan

Tactically speaking, I would suggest the faster mechs move into position on the edge of the bluffs they are running over (one more turn of movement). Pinning the Clanners in the valley with lack of cover would make it a deathtrap. Once the bluffs are secured and the heavier mechs have caught up, CrabGuard can flank to either the left or right, using JumpJet mechs to jump the river and flank, or using the hill in the center of the valley as cover to come up to the HPG plateau.

Chicken Slayer
Nov 7, 2009
Too complicated. Just agree on a target to bum rush and the rest should sort itself out.

Right?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You seem to be mistaken in thinking we picked to play as Kurita.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wait, Combine forces know how to focus fire?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, they do after 3050. That's when they invent C3 and then focus fire becomes the only thing they're any good at.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Defiance Industries posted:

Well, they do after 3050. That's when they invent C3 and then focus fire becomes the only thing they're any good at.

In fairness, C3 is pretty awesome so it is worth it..

..Till that annoying scout mech with ECM gets in the midst of your army and ruins you completely :mad:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

the pony has dared to approach, eat its head. Next turn the hunchback should be within range of glorious crab gauss rifles, and you should focus fire on that paper thin mech (one gauss hit will open a hole to its delicious internals) to get rid of its double ac/20s

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 30, 2011

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Rick_Hunter posted:

Tactically speaking, I would suggest the faster mechs move into position on the edge of the bluffs they are running over (one more turn of movement). Pinning the Clanners in the valley with lack of cover would make it a deathtrap. Once the bluffs are secured and the heavier mechs have caught up, CrabGuard can flank to either the left or right, using JumpJet mechs to jump the river and flank, or using the hill in the center of the valley as cover to come up to the HPG plateau.

Given that they're backing out of the valley rather than flanking across the river I'm just going to shuffle forward to 1429. That way next turn when I charge it'll be keeping pace with our black knight.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

Gothsheep posted:

Good point. I'll let you guys know what I'm doing here: I sent in my orders to move to hex 1728 (five north of where I am now, and one to face that direction) and fire my ER PPC at F2, if the shot is possible.
That seems fine, I'm going to jump to 1228 and see about flanking.

The problem is, we can't spend too much time flanking on the left side since the Hell's Horses have (presumably) a large range advantage. I know we have a few ERPPCs, but we'll never survive a long-range slugging match. The only mech of ours that could potentially hold it's own in that case is the King Crab.

Do we know if the Hells horses are sticking to zellbrigen?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Xmas Future posted:

I most certainly hope so to the extent where I might suggest not breaking it this turn shooting at the pony with multiple mechs.

We could really use them failing to focus fire for even one or two turns of our charge across the valley

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Xmas Future posted:

Given the opening post's story, the Horses have been fighting ComStar for several days now. They're probably used to and expecting IS tactics.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it

UberJew posted:

We could really use them failing to focus fire for even one or two turns of our charge across the valley
We could probably wait even longer than that, we can probably take out at lest one mech before ganging up on them.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)
Just reminding Fits that if the Clanners are adhering to Zell, he probably has already declared his target by firing at the Dervish. Which should probably tell us if the Clanners are adhering to Zell if the Dervish follows him to stay in range.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010
If this is the CrabGuard, then I definitely hope we see a pincer movement.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Surprise Pizza posted:

If this is the CrabGuard, then I definitely hope we see a pincer movement.

Ideally you want to keep low, present a hard shell, and go for the toes. Don't let them crack your defense, or they will be able to get at your soft meat. And beware psychological warfare, the clanners might try to gain an edge by buttering you up.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If we need reinforcements, we can try and lay our eggs in their pubes. I consider this a last ditch option, as Blake frowns upon that sort of thing.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 30, 2011

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Defiance Industries posted:

If we need reinforcements, we can try and lay our eggs in their pubes. I consider this a last ditch option, as Blake frowns upon that sort of thing.

We don't need Decapod 10 Terra telling us what to do! The CrabGaurd will do what it must to achieve victory.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Bad Moon posted:

We don't need Decapod 10 Terra telling us what to do! The CrabGaurd will do what it must to achieve victory.

We will defend the mobile stationary oppression communication palace relay!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Above all, be careful not to expose your weakpoints. It'll let the Clanners hit you for massive damage.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Guys, We all know the crab pilot's name should be Leonard J.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

bunnyofdoom posted:

Guys, We all know the crab pilot's name should be Leonard J.

No, he's the mercenary leader of Leonard J's Crabs, around which Stackpole is basing a new series.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tempest_56 posted:

I am still sad there is no canonical Rocket Carrier tank.
There is a Rocket Karnov.

Mukaikubo posted:

The long answer? Also no, because there's really not even a basis for either riding mechs or movement acting as a force multiplier on weapons damage in the rules. Besides, a Lance would be a much better idea.
That's why he asked about charging, where distance moved does make a difference.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Arquinsiel posted:

That's why he asked about charging, where distance moved does make a difference.

Yes, but charging and weapon damage do not combine. If you are charging, you are not using your weapon, and vice versa.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You've not looked at the rules for spikes have you?

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Arquinsiel posted:

You've not looked at the rules for spikes have you?

No. Ew. I mean.

Ew.

Okay, wow, that is, um. Ew. Okay, carry on.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Please share with the class. What are the rules for spikes?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Leperflesh posted:

Please share with the class. What are the rules for spikes?

Any limb that has a spike mounted on it will suffer 4 less damage from a physical attack, while also dealing 2 damage to the attacker. Any torso mounted spikes also increases damage dealt when charging a foe.

Spikes are .5 tons (I think) and take one crit space. You can only put one max on each limb.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

Any limb that has a spike mounted on it will suffer 4 less damage from a physical attack, while also dealing 2 damage to the attacker. Any torso mounted spikes also increases damage dealt when charging a foe.

Spikes are .5 tons (I think) and take one crit space. You can only put one max on each limb.

my god, its covered in spikes

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

It says something about a game featuring giant robots with death lasers and super cannons that one of the deadliest attacks you can perform is still running at a guy real fast and poking him with something sharp. :black101:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, and what it says is "maybe they should try making mech armor out of whatever those spikes are made out of, and then they might not get completely hosed up to poo poo just from falling over onto the dirt."

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
There's actually a 1 in 4 chance that the spikes will be destroyed whenever the mech is hit in the location mounting them.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Xmas Future posted:

There's actually a 1 in 4 chance that the spikes will be destroyed whenever the mech is hit in the location mounting them.

A small price to pay for mech sized brass knuckles

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

AtomikKrab posted:

A small price to pay for mech sized brass knuckles

Or brass nipples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If you only get a single spike per body part, a CTor spike is clearly a brass codpiece. :eng101: (The area where the legs connect is technically part of the center torso.)

• Locked thread