Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

I would rank them from best to worst in the exact opposite order that they came out, myself. MBDTF being the best, and Dropout being the worst.

You really think 808's is his second best album?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
808s is better than you think

it kinda set the stage for what was possible in mbdtf

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

A Typical Goon posted:

So where would people here rank this album out of Kanye's?

I'd personally say this is his third best. Just a little better than Graduation in my mind. I perfer College Dropout and Late Registration.

808's & Heartbreak = MBDTF > Graduation = College Dropout > Late Registration

They're all pretty similar in greatness in my mind, but those are the three "tiers" I have them in. If Late Registration didn't have that awful Brandy song and if My Way Home (which is still an amazing song) was on a Common album instead of that album, it'd probably be on an equal level with College Dropout for me.

Reverend Jones
Jan 1, 2007
The Sauce is Boss

Brett824 posted:

808's & Heartbreak = MBDTF > Graduation = College Dropout > Late Registration

They're all pretty similar in greatness in my mind, but those are the three "tiers" I have them in. If Late Registration didn't have that awful Brandy song and if My Way Home (which is still an amazing song) was on a Common album instead of that album, it'd probably be on an equal level with College Dropout for me.

This is pretty much how I feel. However I might put late registration a little higher, I think Hey Mama and Roses are incredible. Was listening to MBDTF and was wondering if there was a kanye following on SA, and it was the top thread. :toot:

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
monster vid finally came out

kanyewest.com is hosting it but that site folded vevo will have it soon

edit: haha all his vids come with disclaimers now

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I loving love the video a lot.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Only disappointing part of that video was the lack of Justin Vernon with a chainsaw or something at the end

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
This is apparently the tentative tracklist for watch the throne

http://www.dubraontherocks.com/post/6239008872

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

atrus50 posted:

This is apparently the tentative tracklist for watch the throne

http://www.dubraontherocks.com/post/6239008872

Huh, no H.A.M. ?

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Angryhead posted:

Huh, no H.A.M. ?
It's a pretty lackluster song, I'm not too heartbroken it isn't on the album.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

H.A.M is balls, real lack of effort in the vocals from both.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

So do remixes just not get album releases? The "Power" remix was obviously great, and I thought they were saying it would be on Watch the Throne from the beginning. Doesn't matter, I'd obviously like more new music and fewer repeats, it's just weird. And I can't check from work, but if I wanted to pay money for that remix, could I, via iTunes or something?

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

onefish posted:

So do remixes just not get album releases? The "Power" remix was obviously great, and I thought they were saying it would be on Watch the Throne from the beginning. Doesn't matter, I'd obviously like more new music and fewer repeats, it's just weird. And I can't check from work, but if I wanted to pay money for that remix, could I, via iTunes or something?

just download it for free from kanyes website man

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
something's gonna happen on monday

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

atrus50 posted:

Care to elucidate? That's kind of an extremely vague statement.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

onefish posted:

As someone said they're all free on Kanye's site. What many people have done is combine them all in order of released as one album.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

atrus50 posted:

Please what the hell

Kanye I swear is just a troll. "Watch the Throne coming soon! New Album in summer!" *literally no info for months*

Icen
Jun 1, 2007

Who is Josh Groban?! KILL YOURSELF!

atrus50 posted:

It is monday. Nothing has happened I don't think.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
http://www.rap-up.com/2011/06/13/new-music-big-sean-f-kanye-west-roscoe-dash-marvin-gaye-chardonnay/

New stuff with Kanye on it today, just not a Kanye song

edit - warning: it kinda sucks

Final Fart Buttball fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 14, 2011

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
ok so as it turns out we all got trolled the announcement was that frank "of" ocean is gonna be on watch the throne

sorry for getting yr hopes up word on the street was that the first single (lift off w/ beyonce and bruno mars) would drop

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
uhh, mama's boyfriend (finally) has a studio version

http://www.mediafire.com/?cs3bcz4m6m9fo4a

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else... I don't know.
But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.
gently caress kanye

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Has he always been this erratic in releasing info? I mean seriously according to the little timeline he spoke about earlier in the year we should have already had Watch the Throne done and dusted by now and possibly even another album here/on the way... the fool makes no sense

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
late registration is the best one simply because We Major is one of the greatest hip hop songs of the past decade

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

teacup posted:

Has he always been this erratic in releasing info? I mean seriously according to the little timeline he spoke about earlier in the year we should have already had Watch the Throne done and dusted by now and possibly even another album here/on the way... the fool makes no sense

I think he gets an idea or plan in his head and has a compulsion to immediately tweet it without actually ruminating on it so he says a lot of stuff that is just fancy.

Chim posted:

late registration is the best one simply because We Major is one of the greatest hip hop songs of the past decade

I love a handful of songs from Late Registration (We Major, Drive Slow and Hey Mama are my favorites) but I think overall it is Kanye's weakest album. I know many people will disagree with me but I think Graduation is way better...and I even like 808s more.

My tier list is

MBDTF=College Dropout>Graduation>808s>Late Registration

The Astro Zombie
Nov 14, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Late to the party here, but I would say hands down, 808's and mbdtf are definitely #1 & 2. Both of them though, I think you really have to listen to from start to finish as all the tracks compliment each other really well.

Also devil in a new dress is a badass song, least favorite would be so appalled. Jay z comes across bored to me and is just phoning it in with typical "I'm rich and untouchable" bullshit and the whole rza part seems like a waste to me. I get the point is that they're so big now that they're the bad guys now but they embrace it.

That said the instrumental is sick, and is one of the best on the album.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I think the best part of So Appalled is the completely unnecessary and years late dis that Jay Z throws at MC Hammer. Also the line "all ya'll can suck my ba-wls through my dra-wrs."

The Astro Zombie
Nov 14, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheJoker138 posted:

I think the best part of So Appalled is the completely unnecessary and years late dis that Jay Z throws at MC Hammer. Also the line "all ya'll can suck my ba-wls through my dra-wrs."

Yeah there's that "timely" insult and another one thrown at ma$e. Nothing like taking shots at guys who's careers were over 10 years ago.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So Appalled is for sure the worst track on there. Jay's verses really are the worst on the album - luckily the Monster one has enough decent parts that it doesn't bog the song down at all.

The Astro Zombie
Nov 14, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bown posted:

So Appalled is for sure the worst track on there. Jay's verses really are the worst on the album - luckily the Monster one has enough decent parts that it doesn't bog the song down at all.

Yeah jay to me sounds bored as hell the whole album, maybe Kanye just makes him look bad? jay z still kinda does that old school "i'm ballin heres how rich I am" kinda rap and Kanye has more substance and is a little more versatile imo. Even on monster jay's whole verse just doesn't seem like it fits. Course compared to Nicki Minaj' crazy rear end on that track they kinda all fall short.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

teacup posted:

I imagine he's releasing what he hopes for and then labels/other involved parties delay things.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

The Astro Zombie posted:

Yeah there's that "timely" insult and another one thrown at ma$e. Nothing like taking shots at guys who's careers were over 10 years ago.

Even Bobby Brown gets a mention!

I agree that So Appalled is probably the weakest track on the album, though I think the chorus bit (champagne wishes, thirty white bitches etc) is pretty catchy and amusing. But I find it interesting that the least popular track also happens to be the only Kanye-free track on the album.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

webmeister posted:

Even Bobby Brown gets a mention!

I agree that So Appalled is probably the weakest track on the album, though I think the chorus bit (champagne wishes, thirty white bitches etc) is pretty catchy and amusing. But I find it interesting that the least popular track also happens to be the only Kanye-free track on the album.

Kanye is the first verse and the hook. He has some sort of pitch-shift thing going on with his vocals.
what a hypnotic beat. I can't believe people think it's the weak point of MBDTF. For me that is definitely Blame Game.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I love Blame Game, except for the Chris Rock bit at the end, which was funny once but I now skip.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

I love Blame Game, except for the Chris Rock bit at the end, which was funny once but I now skip.

Same. When I first heard that bit on the album, I thought it was pretty sick, but on subsequent listens, the Christ Rock bit definitely runs a bit too long at the end. yeezy didn't teach them how to edit down tracks I guess.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
So Appalled was great as a GOOD Friday song, but I'm surprised it made to the CD. Didn't really fit in. And yes, Jay-Z was not good at all on the album.

Diamonds From Sierra Leone Remix gives me hope for Watch the Throne.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

So Appalled is my favourite from the album :< then again, as many others have said themselves, i find it very hand to pick one single track as a favourite.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Windmill Hut posted:

So Appalled is my favourite from the album :< then again, as many others have said themselves, i find it very hand to pick one single track as a favourite.

I find that with all Kanye's records there is a song that just a poo poo load of plays from me. Not that they all don't get a lot of plays, just that one song is always the first I put on when listening to the album

TCD = All Falls Down
Late Registration = Touch the Sky
Graduation = Homecoming
808s = Amazing
MBDTF = Power

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

A Typical Goon posted:

I find that with all Kanye's records there is a song that just a poo poo load of plays from me. Not that they all don't get a lot of plays, just that one song is always the first I put on when listening to the album

TCD = All Falls Down
Late Registration = Touch the Sky
Graduation = Homecoming
808s = Amazing
MBDTF = Power

Power is my most listened to song from the album as well, but only because it was in like...every game trailer at this years E3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
After a whole lot of listens, Power has ended up as my favourite track on the album. That sequence of Power -> All of the Lights -> Monster is just amazing.

I don't think I've ever listened to a modern album for this long before :psyduck:

• Locked thread