Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unruly Amoeba
Feb 11, 2007

z16bitsega posted:

Does anyone else have an Otterbox Commuter for the 3D? Mine fits kind of loose at the top, I'm wondering if they're all like that or if I just got a bad one.

Battery life with the 3D is just absolutely absurd. 16 hours 30 minutes and it's still sitting at 80%.

I do, honestly I like it a lot for the complete protection. But, yeah, mine fits generally the same way you describe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
The sides of my Otterbox are more snug than the top or bottom, but I wouldn't call those 'loose'.

Am I right in thinking that without rooting there's no way to remove the Nascar and other apps that came built-in that I don't want? They don't show up in the AppBrain list.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Jorath posted:

Am I right in thinking that without rooting there's no way to remove the Nascar and other apps that came built-in that I don't want? They don't show up in the AppBrain list.

That is correct.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Has anyone else been experiencing any difficulty with their visual voicemail on the 3D?

For some reason, instead of getting the visual VM notification icon (as I used to on my Hero and had prior to getting an OTA update), I get a text stating something along the lines of "ANDROID: (number) has left you a voicemail message", a number to call, and when called, the number asks to confirm your device (3D) can receive VMs - which, obviously, it can - and it then hangs up.

Visual voicemail is such an awesome thing, it's pretty irritating to have to go into the dialer and access voicemail manually. I tried resetting my PRL with Sprint, did a hard reset and everything and its still not working. I'm not integrated with Google Voice.

A cursory googling seems to suggest I'm not the only one.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I honestly don't know anyone with an Android phone on Sprint that uses Visual Voicemail. You can use GV Voicemail without integrating if you want.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

e: Nevermind

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 1, 2011

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

SLOSifl posted:

I honestly don't know anyone with an Android phone on Sprint that uses Visual Voicemail. You can use GV Voicemail without integrating if you want.

My issue is mainly that I did use visual voicemail, and it worked correctly, notifying me when I had a new VM in the notification bar. That's no longer the case and I now receive texts when getting a VM which is annoying, at the least. I just want to know why, and if there's a way of going back to the previous system.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Jorath posted:

If you use an alternative launcher like LauncherPro, you can hide them but not remove them. Once they're hidden I just forget about them.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

plester1 posted:

If you use an alternative launcher like LauncherPro, you can hide them but not remove them. Once they're hidden I just forget about them.
Will that also let me put different apps on my unlock screen?

Went to the Sprint store this morning- got help moving my contacts over from the old phone using bluetooth, which worked. Then tried to do the same with my pictures and the Exclaim could no longer see the EVO 3D as a bluetooth device (it could see other phones in the store still).

Annoying.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Jorath posted:

you actually can remove Nascar and a few of the other sprint garbageware apps. Go to settings>applications>manage applications and it will let you remove a ton of the crap you arent going to use. Still wont let me remove stocks though. :argh:

Edit: I cant spell

Old Man Pants fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 1, 2011

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
So if I get a new phone for my wifes line that's under contract, can I just give it to a friend to enable on his line? Shes using my old evo, we have TEP, and I just upgraded to the 3d. Seems silly to just not cash in on a free phone when we plan on staying with sprint for a long while.

a shameful boehner posted:

Has anyone else been experiencing any difficulty with their visual voicemail on the 3D?

I had this problem a long time ago, and I fixed it some how but I forget exactly. There is a toggle that sprint needs to set for visual voice mail. You can do it yourself if you call some number but I don't remember what it is.

ease fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 1, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Jorath posted:

Went to the Sprint store this morning- got help moving my contacts over from the old phone using bluetooth, which worked. Then tried to do the same with my pictures and the Exclaim could no longer see the EVO 3D as a bluetooth device (it could see other phones in the store still).

Annoying.

Launcher Pro will only replace Rosie, the Sense launcher. The lock screen along with every other app stays the same.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Jorath posted:

Go into the personalize display menu > lockscreen > settings and change the apps there.

Took me a while to find it too.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

sonicice posted:

What is the point of spinning all the home screens around really fast? You always end up at the same screen you were on. Is it just to look cool and show off that it is lag-free? Or is there a purpose that I haven't realized?

This is going back a couple of days, and I don't have a 3d, so I'm not sure about this, but I read somewhere that if you do the spin, you always go to your default homescreen, which is somewhat useful.... still sounds annoying though.

Jeratain
Apr 5, 2004

I have no socially redeeming value.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Launcher Pro will only replace Rosie, the Sense launcher. The lock screen along with every other app stays the same.
Does it actually "replace" the Sense launcher, or does it just run in parallel as another launcher? I noticed that both seem to be running simultaneously when I installed LauncherPro and that just didn't seem efficient.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Sense will always run all sorts of crap in the background- the launcher is just one of those many things that run.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

So I've been stuck in digital roaming mode for the last three days. I kind of assumed I got booted off because I tethered too much at my friends house. The advanced tech support guy says there's been an outage in my city since the twenty second, which seems ridiculous. Any advice?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

ease posted:

I had this problem a long time ago, and I fixed it some how but I forget exactly. There is a toggle that sprint needs to set for visual voice mail. You can do it yourself if you call some number but I don't remember what it is.

Do you have any more detail on this? As I said above, I've reset my PRL, called Sprint, done a factory reset on my phone, etc. Is it as easy as saying "please enable my phone to receive visual voicemail"?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Heffer posted:

So I've been stuck in digital roaming mode for the last three days. I kind of assumed I got booted off because I tethered too much at my friends house. The advanced tech support guy says there's been an outage in my city since the twenty second, which seems ridiculous. Any advice?

My (home) internet has been down for the past 5 days and I've been tethered since then. I've been watching netflix (on my PC), gaming (poorly, ping is awful) and downloading just like I have been before and I haven't run into any issues yet. Sprint doesn't seem to care what you do with their connection so I doubt they booted you.

PDANet is pretty awesome. I gotta say.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Grumpwagon posted:

This is going back a couple of days, and I don't have a 3d, so I'm not sure about this, but I read somewhere that if you do the spin, you always go to your default homescreen, which is somewhat useful.... still sounds annoying though.

If it put you back at the main screen every time, that might actually be useful. As it is, it spins and ends up back on the screen you were already on. Pretty pointless, mostly just eye candy.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My dad was telling me that Lightsquared's 4g (in partnership with sprint) is causing a bunch of waves in aviation news because pilots are worried Lightsquared's frequencies will mess up all of their GPSes. Is there any truth to this?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

mastershakeman posted:

My dad was telling me that Lightsquared's 4g (in partnership with sprint) is causing a bunch of waves in aviation news because pilots are worried Lightsquared's frequencies will mess up all of their GPSes. Is there any truth to this?

If it's anything like the Wifi on an airplane controversy it's just paranoia. Any device meant for airplane safety should be shielded against widely used frequencies or it shouldn't be on a plane at all.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

mastershakeman posted:

Here is some information. I read some technical jargon on it the other day (may have even been in this thread) but don't remember any of it because I didn't really understand it.

http://www.pnt.gov/interference/lightsquared/

Long story short: they're working on it.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Heffer posted:

Wait for them to fix the outage. There's nothing else you can do.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

a shameful boehner posted:

Do you have any more detail on this? As I said above, I've reset my PRL, called Sprint, done a factory reset on my phone, etc. Is it as easy as saying "please enable my phone to receive visual voicemail"?
Keep calling and asking or google it. If you keep calling in eventually youll get a tech who knows whats up.

Im a land surveyor. High precision gps is way more important. gently caress light squared. They need to find a frequency far away from gps/glonass

ease fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 2, 2011

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Jeratain posted:

Does it actually "replace" the Sense launcher, or does it just run in parallel as another launcher? I noticed that both seem to be running simultaneously when I installed LauncherPro and that just didn't seem efficient.

You can force close Rosie so it's not running, but the launcher itself doesn't actually go anywhere.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Jeratain posted:

It runs parallel, and it runs slower.

letsgoflyers81 posted:

You can force close Rosie so it's not running, but the launcher itself doesn't actually go anywhere.
In my experience, though, the process restarts if you use HTC apps.

Shed
Apr 13, 2005

You stupid bitch.

Duckman2008 posted:

First sign of network vision, sprint has a decent feature in employee news on rolling out push to talk on cdma within the next year. 3 sprint cdma ptt devices will be launched.

I've been brutally sick so I haven't seen that if it was posted yesterday or today (Friday). I really hope they make it easy for customers to transition over, because I'd say at least 75% of mine are on Nextel right now. :ohdear: Luckily people seem to be pretty floored when they hear the coverage differences between Nextel and Sprint, but a lot don't like to deal with the hassles of swapping devices. At least they get killer prices on their phones, ignoring California's dumb taxes of course.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Are there any options for going from a 3rd party employee plan to SERO premium or something? I currently have a plan that I've had with Best Buy for 10 years, and I'm leaving the company next week...wondering if my only options are "Wait and see how long it takes for them to notice I don't work there anymore" or "Say screw it and go to a full price plan"

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005

FlyingCheese posted:

I think I got a detective battery. I had it unplugged overnight and it was down to 30% from 80%. 50% in 6 hours of standby seems like a lot.

Or is this just the "warm up period" people talk about?

It could be that, the first day I had mine it dropped from 60% to 5% within about 10 minutes. If you run it from full to dead a couple times it should calibrate the battery meter properly.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Are there any options for going from a 3rd party employee plan to SERO premium or something? I currently have a plan that I've had with Best Buy for 10 years, and I'm leaving the company next week...wondering if my only options are "Wait and see how long it takes for them to notice I don't work there anymore" or "Say screw it and go to a full price plan"

From what I can tell, sprint will give you notice before switching your plan. That being said, i'd say just keep the plan as long as possible, I have seen people have it for years and years after quitting. You could get caught in am audit in a few months or few years, who knows.

No way to get sero, can only get eprp by porting out and back in. Id course, just keep a best buy pay stub, that can get you 20% monthly discount if needed.

Of course, when I left best buy and had a Verizon employee plan verizon found out 8 months later and deactivated me. No warming, my calls just started going "welcome to the great American roaming network." Thankfully I did not have am important number on that account.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Medullah posted:

If that number is important to you, you should port it out while your account is still in good standing and your Sprint regional representative can release it if necessary. Maybe do like Duckman said and open a new Sprint retail plan with your 20% discount.

I had the same thing happen to me when I left Best Buy back in 2004. My Cingular employee plan was $20 with a small data allowance--lasted me from a SE T610 through a few Windows Mobile phones up to the Tilt. Then suddenly, it was shut off and all porting requests failed. Customer service was useless and the regional mananger refused to return my calls. I had that number for 4 or 5 years.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Duckman2008 posted:

Fyi you can trade in your Evo to Sprint for $150, so that $200 Evo 3D is now $50 for you (plus $18 upgrade fee). I'd say with that it is def worth it. I keep getting tempted to get the 3D, its sexy and is just fast as gently caress.

Out of curiosity, do I just go into a store and ask to trade it in? And, does it have to be in perfect shape? My Evo has kissed the ground a few times and so it has some scratches and a couple small dents to the plastic (screen is perfectly fine, though) and on craigslist that's just an invitation for lowballers to the point I just don't even want to deal with them.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So.... when they say it takes up to 72 hours to activate my phone's account... they really push it to 72 hours huh? *On hour 39 and fondling his phone delicately*

By the way, the screen protector Otter box uses, the self-adhering one... why is it so drat smudgy? Seems worse than the one that came on my friend's iPhone that he sold me.. seems weird that screen protectors could have different smudge factors...

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Run Settings->System Update->Update Profile every once in a while if you haven't already. It shouldn't take that long to activate the account, but if you're waiting for something to happen automatically, you may be waiting a long time.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Somebody came in here asking about the $10 data fee recently, and I swear somebody reported that they're not, in fact, adding the fee on Everything plans when you ESN swap to older smartphones like WebOS and WinMo.

Did I imagine this? Maybe I read it in another thread because I can't find that post.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
Probably a stupid question, but I want to double check. If my girlfriend signs up for an EPRP account by bringing her number from ATT, she can get the $125 credit, right?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

tuckfard posted:

Probably a stupid question, but I want to double check. If my girlfriend signs up for an EPRP account by bringing her number from ATT, she can get the $125 credit, right?

Yes, I just did it from Verizon to Sprint. You just have to fill out a form after the port is complete.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Anyone else's 3d only charging up to 99% or is that just a droid thing? Not that important but it's kind of annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

change my name posted:

Anyone else's 3d only charging up to 99% or is that just a droid thing? Not that important but it's kind of annoying.
It's two things:

1 - The battery charges up to full or almost full, and then discharges a bit and bumps back up again. It's a battery health thing, and most phones do something similar these days.

2 - Your phone may not have had time to figure out that "99%" is full.