Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Smegmatron posted:

It was a girl :smith:

I see your tapout, and raise you an accidental busted lip. Also, what do you goons think of rolling/randori with girls in general? My general principle is that they are there to be martial artists and athletes, so they don't want to be "treated like a girl" (Whatever the hell that means anymore) and treated as a peer. At the same time, if they are smaller than me, I'll treat it like working with any smaller judoka, focus on technique, move light, don't force anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
pretty much what you wrote is how most girls I've met want to be treated. The ones that don't are usually there for the wrong reasons.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anyone know why kickboxers/boxers can take so many more heavy shots than your standard MMA fighter? Why are there so many more zombie fights in non-mma combat sports?

EDIT: i ask because I'm trying to transition from an MMA to a strict Muay Thai mindset. Learning more about staying in the pocket with my hands up, etc and when i watch other fighters their beatdown threshold is incredible.

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 29, 2011

ManicParroT
Aug 31, 2007

by T. Finn
I think it's because boxers use much bigger gloves than MMA fighters. Also, they have less to concentrate on defending, since they aren't also trying to dodge or cover leg kicks and take downs.

I don't know about kickboxing gloves.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
Extra few ounces of padding probably makes a difference, also I'm sure they're just way more accustomed to getting smashed in the face.

Dirp fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 29, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Fontoyn posted:

Anyone know why kickboxers/boxers can take so many more heavy shots than your standard MMA fighter? Why are there so many more zombie fights in non-mma combat sports?

EDIT: i ask because I'm trying to transition from an MMA to a strict Muay Thai mindset. Learning more about staying in the pocket with my hands up, etc and when i watch other fighters their beatdown threshold is incredible.

Because MMA striking is bad.

Also boxers that stay in the pocket tend to have good head movement or counter big shots with their own. I don't know what you mean by zombie fights as that would to me in my head be a crap mma match.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

swmmrmanshen posted:

I see your tapout, and raise you an accidental busted lip. Also, what do you goons think of rolling/randori with girls in general? My general principle is that they are there to be martial artists and athletes, so they don't want to be "treated like a girl" (Whatever the hell that means anymore) and treated as a peer. At the same time, if they are smaller than me, I'll treat it like working with any smaller judoka, focus on technique, move light, don't force anything.

I like going through drills and exercises with the girls because the size difference between us means that they need to get their technique close to perfect for it to work, which in turn means I get a better feel for how things are supposed to work. Rolling with them is cool from time to time too for the same reason. The reason I was all :smith: though is because I know that I took her back more through bullying her with my size advantage than anything else. If that was a guy my size or maybe one of the female blue belts it would've been highly unlikely.

Based on the aroma of what I'm 99% sure is pot eminating from her gi and her permanently relaxed demeanour though, I'm going to go ahead and wager she's pretty chill about the whole thing and enjoys the process of learning more than anything else.

Also Thoguh, I'm not 100% sure on what you're saying, but that really does sound like an express trip to Americana town. My question was more about how you could get back to guard from underneath side control while one of your arms is more or less out of commission due to not being able to let go of your belt. I think I've worked it out though, and hey surprise, it's all in the hips. Depending on where their weight is, they'll either be giving you a chance to hip escape towards the arm they're attacking and create enough space to slip a knee in between you or they'll maybe be too far over towards the arm they want to attack and will have more or less put your hips underneath them for you. I'll test it with a partner at training tomorrow (hopefully the same guy) and see how it goes.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

swmmrmanshen posted:

As soon as they step through the gym doors, I don't see them as girls. They're just another person to train with.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

At the same time, to attract more girls to the gym you have to try your hardest not to scare them off. I roll very lightly with the girls who are white belts, I still pick some of them to pieces but I don't do anything strengthy, I'm like a ragdoll who occasionally tricks them into an armbar or something. Once they're blue I'll be as mean to them as anybody else.

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
I sweat a lot when rolling/drilling and so I stay away from the girls sometimes because I am self-conscious about sweating all over them and scaring them away forever.

Office Sheep
Jan 20, 2007
My instructor is a woman and I've never even scored points on her.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

swmmrmanshen posted:

Person in a Gi is a person in a Gi. Treat them like you would any other person in a Gi. If they're not as strong, don't use strength, if they're spazzy, control them. You should figure this out through careful practice.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Smegmatron posted:

Also Thoguh, I'm not 100% sure on what you're saying

Get your arm above your head like you are are raising your hand while they are trying to get into the technique. Maybe that's a better way to explain it. If your shoulders are decently flexible it prevents them from getting the angle they need for the Kimura. They can put all the strength in the world into it but as long as your arm is well higher than your shoulder the angle just isn't there. I'll see if I can find a video of what i am talking about.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That seems really stupid. I can just switch grips and americana you. Very easily too. Or poo poo just put you into an arm triangle position to get the mount. I don't see how this works in an advantageous way for you.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KidDynamite posted:

Because MMA striking is bad.

Also boxers that stay in the pocket tend to have good head movement or counter big shots with their own. I don't know what you mean by zombie fights as that would to me in my head be a crap mma match.

When I say zombiefight I mean both fighters are taking a loving shitton of damage and still somehow firing back in small bursts. I've seen that a lot with boxing/kickboxing.

Sometimes two strikers just amble on up to each other, cover up less than a foot away, and throw bombs for five minutes.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Oh well I say stuff like that comes when you've got two equally skilled guys. There's just times you have to take one to give two(optimistically). Besides you don't want to be backing up the whole fight or resetting the range after every single exchange. Moving around the ring like Floyd Mayweather isn't something many people can do. Or if they can they can't keep it up for 12 rounds sometimes your legs go and there's nothing you can do but stand and fire back. Also if you have a good defense like say Winky Wright you can just tire out your opponent by letting him punch himself out. No need to move with a strategy like that. In mma you don't see that because there's always the threat of the takedown.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Fontoyn posted:

When I say zombiefight I mean both fighters are taking a loving shitton of damage and still somehow firing back in small bursts. I've seen that a lot with boxing/kickboxing.

I think you're also overestimating how much damage is being done. Seasoned strikers can very subtly roll with punches even if they land and can brace against some of them. It's one reason why you see way more leg kicks in a kickboxing match but not as much limping as if even half as many were to land in an mma bout -- some really nuanced work to reduce how much damage is really absorbed.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KidDynamite posted:

Oh well I say stuff like that comes when you've got two equally skilled guys. There's just times you have to take one to give two(optimistically). Besides you don't want to be backing up the whole fight or resetting the range after every single exchange. Moving around the ring like Floyd Mayweather isn't something many people can do. Or if they can they can't keep it up for 12 rounds sometimes your legs go and there's nothing you can do but stand and fire back. Also if you have a good defense like say Winky Wright you can just tire out your opponent by letting him punch himself out. No need to move with a strategy like that. In mma you don't see that because there's always the threat of the takedown.

That's really the attitude I'm trying to wrap my mind around. A lot of my problems stem from getting tagged by big guys and shutting down offensively. I can move for 3 rounds without feeling gassed, but one good stroke to the jaw completely shuts down combinations and counters to the point where I'm just throwing enough of a jab to keep my opponent away.

kimbo posted:

I think you're also overestimating how much damage is being done. Seasoned strikers can very subtly roll with punches even if they land and can brace against some of them. It's one reason why you see way more leg kicks in a kickboxing match but not as much limping as if even half as many were to land in an mma bout -- some really nuanced work to reduce how much damage is really absorbed.

Oh, I understand that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Fontoyn posted:

but one good stroke to the jaw completely shuts down combinations and counters to the point where I'm just throwing enough of a jab to keep my opponent away.

I think a lot of it is that you're trained offensive combinations and drill those to death, but defensive movements aren't drilled the same way.
If you get caught, you should still have go-to moves to weave and step out of danger. You can't always return fire; sometimes you have to maneuver to a better position first.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?
our black belt stayed after class to roll and that was really an eye opening experience. the simple elegance and efficiency of his movements was mesmerizing, just perfect conservation of energy and no force required to completely dominate me. Was very instructive too, trying different attacks and even leaving various opportunities to feint us into mistakes and show us where we can improve, so enlightening. I also got a bunch of points on a two stripe white with about 6mo experience over me, I have a couple solid attacks or escapes in each position I can go to now so I'm really starting to gel an offensive and defensive game, great way to end the first month of training!

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Osoto Gari arrived in the mail today. Thanks to whoever suggested it (thoguh I think), I loving love it and it looks great. I plan to try to have it as my specialty. Its my favourite throw and the only one I've ever had real success with too.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Nierbo posted:

Osoto Gari arrived in the mail today.
This is the best mental image. Like play-by-mail chess but with more concussions

doop doop doop just checking the mail OH gently caress

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I had a mental image of one of those inflatable Acme strongman suits.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Got to attend a small 2.5hr clinch seminar with Saul Mitchell.

Dude was pretty cool and knew his poo poo really well.

EDIT: And he's a loving clinch beast.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Osoto Gari arrived in the mail today.

Can we make this the thread title?

As far as the book goes, I think the biggest thing I took out of it was what to do with your right arm (or left arm for a right sided throw). A lot of people neglect that, but getting control of their head is one of the most important parts of the throw. It is so much easier to get kuzushi by snapping their head back than by any other means.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 1, 2011

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
KidDynamite's post had me watch this again re: boxers not getting hurt. Winky takes on feared power puncher Felix Trinidad. Wright gets hit a poo poo ton, but when you watch it nothing really gets through. He has the best defense only keeping his hands up rolling with the punches, after which he throws the jab (or three) - and scores.

Just beautiful boxing defense standing more or less in one place during exchanges. No damage.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Thoguh posted:

Can we make this the thread title?

I'd be honoured. Although I don't think its worthy.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I still think the correct one is "I was winning the fight - up to the moment I died"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I lost 8 1/2 pounds at Hapkido practice last night despite doing my best to stay hydrated. gently caress summer.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

http://judo.teamusa.org/live

Miami World Cup, I think an A level tournament.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

swmmrmanshen posted:

http://judo.teamusa.org/live

Miami World Cup, I think an A level tournament.

It seems like Judo is a lot of stop.start kind of exercise. How much do the judo practitioners in the thread train their cardio capacity?

EDIT: And what stops talented college wrestlers from just shooting in all the time?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
It is. Judo is burst exercise, so you really need to be able to pull out all of your energy for those few minutes, and then be able to recover quickly for your next match.

My kids run sometimes, but mostly it's timed mat exercises.

Nikolovar
Nov 26, 2010
Hi. BJJ goonette here, I've been training two hours a week for about five months now and I'm still breaking in my white belt but I'm loving it. I did randori for the first time today and I guess I did alright. We were working from guard and I went from in-guard to side controlling my partner (who wasn't going easy on me at all) a couple of times. :unsmith: I'm considering upping the number of classes I do per week, seeing how little I'm able to do with a non-compliant partner. I'm on a six month, two days per week plan which is ending soon so I'll probably go for three times a week next.

Oh yeah, question. How the hell do I get someone's grips off of my sleeves? I was able to do it with my first partner(she had skinny girl wrists and small hands) but not my second(big handed dude, thick wrists)?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ligur posted:

I still think the correct one is "I was winning the fight - up to the moment I died"

Was this from the story where the guy was getting peppered with ineffective punches(stabbed to death(literally))? That was depressing don't make it the thread titile.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Fontoyn posted:

It seems like Judo is a lot of stop.start kind of exercise. How much do the judo practitioners in the thread train their cardio capacity?

EDIT: And what stops talented college wrestlers from just shooting in all the time?

Judo is so hard, I cannot explain it in words. It requires explosiveness and endurance. The current ruleset, which is no popular, bans shooting directly for the legs, because high level judo was turning into freestyle wrestling with a gi on. It's a silly rule, but it doesn't change the fact that judo is still difficult and challenging.

Please don't start the "Judo is stupid because of rules" argument.

The emphasis in sportjudo judo is on throws. They want victories through throwing.

Edit: This commentary is awful

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 2, 2011

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

swmmrmanshen posted:

Judo is so hard, I cannot explain it in words. It requires explosiveness and endurance. The current ruleset, which is no popular, bans shooting directly for the legs, because high level judo was turning into freestyle wrestling with a gi on. It's a silly rule, but it doesn't change the fact that judo is still difficult and challenging.

Please don't start the "Judo is stupid because of rules" argument.

The emphasis in sportjudo judo is on throws. They want victories through throwing.

Edit: This commentary is awful

I don't know anything about Judo but I am a wrestlerdude so I probably don't belong in a Judo discussion.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

KidDynamite posted:

Was this from the story where the guy was getting peppered with ineffective punches(stabbed to death(literally))? That was depressing don't make it the thread titile.

Yeah about the hulking guy who loved fighting everyone and anyone and never lost fight, until that happened.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

Fontoyn posted:

The best way to train for judo is to do judo. Even HIIT and tabata type stuff just doesn't cut it as a replacement for an actual sparring session, and I generally tailor those kind of activities to judo-style movements.

With wrestlers, in the lower belts absolutely nothing stops them. They dominate lower level tournaments, and I think it's sandbagging to compete as a white belt when you've actually got 3+ years wrestling experience under your belt, but there's no stopping it so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, once the judoka have a few years experience they can generally just shut down wrestlers by using the gi to hinder their movement and sprawling out on them, usually to finish with a clock choke. The key is that wrestlers want to avoid being on their backs, but aren't taught how to use seated guard, so they're very vulnerable to your mobility once you stuff their shot if you just don't let them get back on their feet.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over how blue my belt is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Nikolovar posted:

Hi. BJJ goonette here, I've been training two hours a week for about five months now and I'm still breaking in my white belt but I'm loving it. I did randori for the first time today and I guess I did alright. We were working from guard and I went from in-guard to side controlling my partner (who wasn't going easy on me at all) a couple of times. :unsmith: I'm considering upping the number of classes I do per week, seeing how little I'm able to do with a non-compliant partner. I'm on a six month, two days per week plan which is ending soon so I'll probably go for three times a week next.

Oh yeah, question. How the hell do I get someone's grips off of my sleeves? I was able to do it with my first partner(she had skinny girl wrists and small hands) but not my second(big handed dude, thick wrists)?

In my opinion; continue as you are. You're about to up clases so you'll see some improvement probably. But realize that all your classmates are taking the same classes and also progressing; you'll see your results when new guys come in.

Sleeves are sleeves. Don't let them grip them. Otherwise, unless they're an easy break, just accept it (some people have electricians or Judo grip, I dont know which is worse) and use it. They only have control of your sleeve, but in essences, you now also dictates where their arm goes. After a bit of practice sleeve gripping turns into something that is mostly annoying, but something you can deal with.

(I don't really use the GI when I roll gi though.)

• Locked thread