Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Shadowgate posted:

Got my new jacket today to go with my new helmet from a couple weeks ago.

I love it so far but it's really stiff. I'm sure it will loosen up soon with some riding :D

I hope you have riding pants to go with that getup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Shadowgate posted:

Hey guys, headed out for a ride.

lolled.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..

Shadowgate posted:

Hey guys, headed out for a ride.

Are those the Jorge Lorenzo replica leathers?

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

n8r posted:

I hope you have riding pants to go with that getup.

Not yet, those are next on the list. I need to find a good pair still. Any suggestions?

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Shadowgate posted:

Not yet, those are next on the list. I need to find a good pair still. Any suggestions?

I was impressed by the Akito Desert Pants when I saw them, nice quality and good armor with the same 3 liner system that Rev'it uses in their gear. Plus they're cheap: http://www.ekmpowershop11.com/ekmps/shops/kitco/akito-desert-pant-07-92-p.asp

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
My scorpion exo1000 give me a horrible headache after exactly an hour and a half. Huge pressure point right on the top of my forehead that comes out of nowhere. Fits fine everywhere else. Any helmet brands I should try that are a little more narrow that aren't shoei or arai?

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

henne posted:

My scorpion exo1000 give me a horrible headache after exactly an hour and a half. Huge pressure point right on the top of my forehead that comes out of nowhere. Fits fine everywhere else. Any helmet brands I should try that are a little more narrow that aren't shoei or arai?

You could try get a spoon and lightly push on the hot spot. May give you some relief. I had something similar - I found that getting a shorter haircut helped with it, but since I pushed in the one hot spot its been great.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Helmet shape can vary greatly per model within the same brand so don't assume any scorpion fits like crap. With that said, I've got a small face and my Airoh sv55 fits beautifully.

GanjamonII posted:

You could try get a spoon and lightly push on the hot spot. May give you some relief. I had something similar - I found that getting a shorter haircut helped with it, but since I pushed in the one hot spot its been great.

Just don't crash at that exact spot and you'll be fine! :downs:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Crushing the eps is not a good idea. Just try on as many helmets as you can. I get a forehead hotspot with some scorpion helmets but suomy spec1rs/apex/extremes fit me perfect, might fit well for you too. Check the first post in the marketplace for a discount code for where I get my helmets if they fit you. The apex/spec1/extreme are the same shell shape, the vandal is different.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
So, am I basically screwed if I want a Corsair V but the X12 fits me PERFECTLY? I'm assuming the shapes are different enough that the Arai isn't going to fit. Anyone have experiences with fit between the two? Despite selling helmets every day, we don't stock Arai and they refuse to allow us to. So I've never actually had a chance to try one on, other than an RX-Q which fit me terribly (bad sign).

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I'd like to go try on a bunch of helmets but the only decent shop here is a Arai/Shoei only place. I'll try a sumoy if I can find one.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Anyone know of any cool motorcycle keychains? I normally would never care about poo poo like that, but I have my bike key on its own keychain. http://www.amazon.com/Suzuki-Black-Leather-Key-Chain/dp/B001GN5820/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1309731975&sr=8-23 looks pretty dope. So does http://www.amazon.com/Suzuki-3D-Keychain-Holder/dp/B0054KZS6C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1309732049&sr=8-5 but I don't really want something metal since it'd bang against the metal on the bike and probably make a lot of noise.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

http://www.amazon.com/ALPINESTAR-MOTORSPORTS-CASUALWAR-KEYCHAIN-690026-30/dp/B0022ZWZKE is pretty cool and I rocked that for a while. Though now I just use a rubber keychain with my school's logo on it.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

-Inu- posted:

http://www.amazon.com/ALPINESTAR-MOTORSPORTS-CASUALWAR-KEYCHAIN-690026-30/dp/B0022ZWZKE is pretty cool and I rocked that for a while. Though now I just use a rubber keychain with my school's logo on it.

Nice, a school keychain is a good idea. I'll browse the bookstore on campus soon.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
I keep all my keys on a carabiner with the motorcycle key on a separate split ring. Maybe instead of looking for an entirely separate key chain look for a small clip and keep it with the rest of them? I keep mine all clipped together because I'd loose them all instantly if they were separate.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fangs404 posted:

Anyone know of any cool motorcycle keychains?

I use these

http://www.rotary13b1.com/c/remove-before-flight.html?gclid=CIfOurvF5qkCFYeQ5god4nXXYQ

Easy to see, durable, and soft.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

kylej posted:

I use these

http://www.rotary13b1.com/c/remove-before-flight.html?gclid=CIfOurvF5qkCFYeQ5god4nXXYQ

Easy to see, durable, and soft.

Nice! I like those. I wound up picking up a leather one with the school logo on it for like $5 at the store.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I used to rock an AC/DC Highway to Hell :rock: keyring, but the hard plastic rattled like a mofo at highway speeds, so now I have this:

An MSF (Médecins Sans Frontières) keyring, because of all the brave people who work for them. It's leather and metal, costs $40 and all of it goes directly to MSF.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Or you can do I what did which is use an old steel cased .45 ACP round that 's been drilled out after removing the primer and powder. The Honda key is on the old key ring that my dad bought at a resale shop.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

KARMA! posted:

Just don't crash at that exact spot and you'll be fine! :downs:

Yeah cause pushing it in a millimeter is going to kill you.

Snell helmets are designed to survive dual impacts (whether or not you like snell or not up to you, been discussed before), and I don't think that gentle pressure with your finger in a spoon really qualifies as an impact.

In my case, I only discovered the hotspot on the top right of my head after my first 2+ hour ride after owning the helmet for a week or two. It was past the point of being able to return it, and I can't afford to forfeit an otherwise great 400$ helmet for that.

Clearly if you can return the helmet and change it out, you should do so.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GanjamonII posted:

Yeah cause pushing it in a millimeter is going to kill you.

Snell helmets are designed to survive dual impacts (whether or not you like snell or not up to you, been discussed before), and I don't think that gentle pressure with your finger in a spoon really qualifies as an impact.

In my case, I only discovered the hotspot on the top right of my head after my first 2+ hour ride after owning the helmet for a week or two. It was past the point of being able to return it, and I can't afford to forfeit an otherwise great 400$ helmet for that.

Clearly if you can return the helmet and change it out, you should do so.

I crashed at 90mph on the track, including a headfirst trip through the windshield and hitting hard enough to see stars. There was about a milimeter of compression on the EPS liner.

Don't deform the EPS liner. Jamming a spoon against it, and crushing the EPS is destroying the only defense your helmet provides against concussions. It doesn't matter how gently you compress it, you're still compressing it.

The dual impact test doesn't mean that you're ok to compress the liner, in fact, it could mean that its now worse at defending against both impacts as you now only have the foam that compresses under extreme hits vs. the softer foam that helps against low speed impacts, robbing you of protection in impacts that aren't your head going into a telephone pole at speed. Hell, I avoid snell helmets because I feel even their single hit allows too much impact through to the head, you rob the helmet of that initial crush zone and you're even worse off, especially on smaller hits.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 4, 2011

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
On general recommendation;

Haven't tried it yet.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
I guess I'm weird since I don't use a key chain at all. Key chains annoy me since I carry my keys in my pocket; anything bigger than a split ring bugs me.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
My keychain is a piece of genuine norwegian antler. :cool:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

I used to rock an AC/DC Highway to Hell :rock: keyring, but the hard plastic rattled like a mofo at highway speeds, so now I have this:

An MSF (Médecins Sans Frontières) keyring, because of all the brave people who work for them. It's leather and metal, costs $40 and all of it goes directly to MSF.

Where did you get that at?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Armyman25 posted:

Where did you get that at?

I was designed by the Danish jewelry company Pilgrim, so it may only available at msf.dk. I don't know if they do international orders.

But if you google something like MSF Pilgrim key ring, perhaps you can find an international reseller. I think they're sold in England as well.

Don Music
Jun 20, 2008
You know what I use for my keychain?

The rest of my keys. :)

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I use this because the future.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
I've just been wearing jeans since I started riding, and after the most recent bunch of crashes in the Crash Test thread, I think I should really get some pants. It's really hot here, so I'm aiming for mesh. Also, I want to go on a group ride in September, and I'd probably feel way more comfortable in full gear than with my walking bits protected only by a thin layer of cotton.

I was hoping to get the FirstGear HT Air overpants, for ease of changing once I got to work in the mornings, but the ladies are all sold out. Any opinions on whether the guys pants would do alright in the smallest size, or would the fit be way too different?

I have the "women's" FirstGear MeshTex jacket, and it's styled pretty much like the men's, so I don't mind looking goofy.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Frances B Cat posted:

I've just been wearing jeans since I started riding, and after the most recent bunch of crashes in the Crash Test thread, I think I should really get some pants. It's really hot here, so I'm aiming for mesh. Also, I want to go on a group ride in September, and I'd probably feel way more comfortable in full gear than with my walking bits protected only by a thin layer of cotton.

I was hoping to get the FirstGear HT Air overpants, for ease of changing once I got to work in the mornings, but the ladies are all sold out. Any opinions on whether the guys pants would do alright in the smallest size, or would the fit be way too different?

I have the "women's" FirstGear MeshTex jacket, and it's styled pretty much like the men's, so I don't mind looking goofy.

I'm dubious over the protective qualities in that it only comes with foam knee armor and no hip armor. They don't look much different than these non-overpants that I bought and then shipped back. FirstGear Mesh 2.0 Tex pants They were super baggy, felt cheap, and looked like they would offer very little protection in a crash. I guess they would be fine if you replaced the crap foam armor with CE approved stuff and got some hip pads.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Crayvex posted:

I'm dubious over the protective qualities in that it only comes with foam knee armor and no hip armor. They don't look much different than these non-overpants that I bought and then shipped back. FirstGear Mesh 2.0 Tex pants They were super baggy, felt cheap, and looked like they would offer very little protection in a crash. I guess they would be fine if you replaced the crap foam armor with CE approved stuff and got some hip pads.

I used knee armor from an old pair of Cortech jeans on top of the stock foam inserts, seems pretty good. Still looking for something to go in the hip.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
Well, my HJC CL-15 decided that moving the visor up and down was more work than it was up for anymore. It's a huge pain in the rear end, and often the visor comes out all together when I try to put it down. I'm afraid it's only a matter of time until I give it too much and either the pivoting mechanism or the visor itself breaks.

I've always had a thing for the EXO line. I tried on a large at my local gear shop, and it was tight as hell (my HJC is a large, and is a bit loose after wearing it for 2 years). I didn't try on an XL, as I wasn't actually going to buy anything at that point, but now I don't have much of a choice, as I'm leaving Friday for Jersey for a family-sponsored charity ride.

To bring this rambling story to a close, I bought this helmet in XL to go with my green Versys because I don't care if I look ridiculous.

Does anyone have experience with the size difference between HJC and Scorpion? Just curious if I'm going to end up having to ship this thing back.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Retarded Pimp posted:

I used knee armor from an old pair of Cortech jeans on top of the stock foam inserts, seems pretty good. Still looking for something to go in the hip.

I did the exact same for my Firstgear HT Air pants (a step up from the mesh tex), but also can't find insertable hip armor anywhere. Other than that they are really good commuting pants.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

frozenphil posted:

I guess I'm weird since I don't use a key chain at all. Key chains annoy me since I carry my keys in my pocket; anything bigger than a split ring bugs me.

Same thing I do, I keep the key in my wallet, have a spare on my key ring with my house and work keys, and the original at home.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Just a little reminder/PSA here, but remember to recondition your leather gear if it gets wet. When leather gets wet, the natural oils that keep it soft and malleable are washed away. If you don't re-oil your leather, it's going to become brittle and stiff (uncomfortable), and it's going to wear out quicker and may even lose some abrasion resistance capabilities.

My leathers got completely drenched on 4 separate occasions yesterday and I just got finished reconditioning them. Here's a little trick if you are conditioning your leather gloves + something else: Put your gloves on and use them to work the conditioner into your other garment. This keeps you from having to dirty a towel and re-molds your gloves to the shape of your hand. Remember folks, healthy leather is happy leather™.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Crayvex posted:

Good to know. Guess I'll keep looking then!

Kyon
Dec 19, 2006

brap

Don Music posted:

You know what I use for my keychain?

The rest of my keys. :)

I used to do this, but the other keys would rattle around and scratch the gently caress out of my triple clamp. Now I keep them separated.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Since liners for old icon helmets are apparently backordered forever what's the consensus on just ripping it out and throwing it in the washer? It's at that "starting to change color" phase.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

Gnaghi posted:

Since liners for old icon helmets are apparently backordered forever what's the consensus on just ripping it out and throwing it in the washer? It's at that "starting to change color" phase.

How old are we talking? I have a year old Icon spare that I rip the liner out of constantly and wash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Probably Hates You posted:

How old are we talking? I have a year old Icon spare that I rip the liner out of constantly and wash.

It's maybe a year and a half to two years. I'm already planning an upgrade if/when I get hired to something better.