Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

scribe jones posted:

got a fb friend agonizing about which schools to apply to for "sports law." hope I die, or he dies, or both

Marquette. That's only if he wants to learn about sports law though, and not if he actually wants to do it. Hope that's what he means!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

scribe jones posted:

got a fb friend agonizing about which schools to apply to for "sports law." hope I die, or he dies, or both

Tulane

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
embarrassing question:

since I'm moving allll the way across the country my parents want to come for 1L move-in day, since they've never been east of chicago and I currently live the same city they do, so they're doting parents and all that. would it be as weird and atypical of them to be there to help me move in as it was for people to have parents at admitted students weekend? there were about three people with parents at the ASW and it seemed like the most godawful thing.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

embarrassing question:

since I'm moving allll the way across the country my parents want to come for 1L move-in day, since they've never been east of chicago and I currently live the same city they do, so they're doting parents and all that. would it be as weird and atypical of them to be there to help me move in as it was for people to have parents at admitted students weekend? there were about three people with parents at the ASW and it seemed like the most godawful thing.

Don't sweat it, no one will care. Everyone knows moving sucks and whoever you can rope into it helps.

SafetyDancer
Aug 30, 2003

hop for jesus

sigmachiev posted:

What up brotha if they don't close the Bear's Lair as rumored right now lets get a drink and maybe some really dirty thai food when I get back there around 2nd week of August. Lemme know if you have any questions

Sup. I asked you a bunch of questions a few months ago and you were super helpful. Why are they thinking about closing the Bear's Lair :(

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

I work until beer o'clock.
So my friend:

Has pretty good numbers ~170 LSAT 3.8 gpa

and is going to a tier 3 law school with like a half scholarship (not exactly but some situation like that)

They've already sent in their deposit and all -- is it too late?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

Trash Can Man posted:

So my friend:

and is going to a tier 3 law school with like a half scholarship (not exactly but some situation like that)

He'd lose his deposit but it's not too late.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

embarrassing question:

Nobody will care and also you will probably get free groceries and potentially free booze. Letting your parents buy you groceries is the last financially sound decision you made since deciding to blow a few hundred grand on law school.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

scribe jones posted:

The funniest part of law school is hearing about people who want to practice sports law, fashion law, anal hamster law or whatever they think will be a fun area of law to practice in.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Trash Can Man posted:

So my friend:

oh my lord wtf.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Lilosh posted:

The funniest part of law school is hearing about people who want to practice sports law, fashion law, anal hamster law or whatever they think will be a fun area of law to practice in.

I have a friend who practices sports law, what she wanted to do since before she sent her first law school application. But then, she went to HLS and had industry connections since undergrad, so there's that.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

IrritationX posted:

I have a friend who practices sports law, what she wanted to do since before she sent her first law school application. But then, she went to HLS and had industry connections since undergrad, so there's that.

Not to undervalue HLS or anything, but I think the industry connections might have more to do with it.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

IrritationX posted:

Who actually practices sports law, even with connections? What is sports law?

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Trash Can Man posted:

So my friend:

Lose that deposit, the $200 is nothing compared to the $10000000 in lost earnings and medical bills from being stabbed to death by the hobos that inhabit tier 3 law schools.

And you are allowed to have parents help you move in 1L year, that isn't weird.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Trash Can Man posted:

So my friend:

Your friend is an idiot. A complete idiot. Like, unrealistically dumb considering they have such a good GPA and LSAT. How can they be that dumb with such good numbers?

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

BigHead posted:

Nobody will care and also you will probably get free groceries and potentially free booze. Letting your parents buy you groceries is the last financially sound decision you made since deciding to blow a few hundred grand on law school.

if law school was costing me a few hundred grand I sure as hell wouldn't be going

I wouldn't be going if it was even going to cost me a hundred grand

caveat: if my parents get the idea they shouldn't go, they will give me the cash value of the trip!

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

embarrassing question:

Everyone's parents were there on my 1L move-in day. It never even occurred to me that anyone would think it was weird.

Have more confidence goon :(

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

scribe jones posted:

Had a buddy who was asking me about this too. He ended up deciding Tulane had the strongest program for it. Sounds about right, right?

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Draile posted:

Everyone's parents were there on my 1L move-in day. It never even occurred to me that anyone would think it was weird.

Have more confidence goon :(

This is what TLS has done to me~

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Lilosh posted:

Not to undervalue HLS or anything, but I think the industry connections might have more to do with it.

Yeah, I think the same thing. But I'm sure HLS didn't hurt with getting the summer gigs that led to the job.

gvibes posted:

Who actually practices sports law, even with connections? What is sports law?

It's a transactional specialty of the firm where she works. Not really that tough since most contracts are fairly well standardized, barring what isn't just copy-pasted in from some other contract.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

SafetyDancer posted:

Sup. I asked you a bunch of questions a few months ago and you were super helpful. Why are they thinking about closing the Bear's Lair :(

Oh right now I kind of remember (not really). My friend dates someone there and it comes from him. We'll see hopefully he got his signals mixed up. They closed for the summer but that's a regular thing for them.

For those unaware The Bear's Lair is Cal's on-campus sports bar. It's filthy but charming and it's ours so the prospect of it shutting down wounds me deeply.

BigHead posted:

To answer your first question, most of your job will probably be about writing memos like the one you did in LRW. Except longer, and due in a day instead of a month. Also, you will be responsible for developing your own factual record. But there are lots of types of jobs. BigLaw is going to be different than solo practitioner domestic crap which is different from criminal.

FWIW most associate memos I see are substantially shorter than what's going on in LWR, at least compared to my class.

Cortina
Oct 14, 2010
Our law clerk, who is a rising 3L, came into my office sobbing yesterday to tell me that she failed a four credit class Fall semester, got put on academic probation and told to raise her GPA to above a 2.0, and then got three B's and a D this past semester, and is therefore being "academically excluded", ie, expelled.

I really, sincerely feel bad for her, because she's a good person and a good clerk and she tried really hard, but some people just aren't cut out to make it through law school. Particularly at a TTT like ours where the professors don't blink at culling the herd and failing people.

Kids, don't go to law school. Especially don't go to third and fourth tier law schools that have zero compunction at failing rising 3Ls in the hopes of weeding out people who might drag down the bar pass rate.

Nero
Oct 15, 2003

Cortina posted:

Our law clerk, who is a rising 3L, came into my office sobbing yesterday to tell me that she failed a four credit class Fall semester, got put on academic probation and told to raise her GPA to above a 2.0, and then got three B's and a D this past semester, and is therefore being "academically excluded", ie, expelled.

I really, sincerely feel bad for her, because she's a good person and a good clerk and she tried really hard, but some people just aren't cut out to make it through law school. Particularly at a TTT like ours where the professors don't blink at culling the herd and failing people.

Kids, don't go to law school. Especially don't go to third and fourth tier law schools that have zero compunction at failing rising 3Ls in the hopes of weeding out people who might drag down the bar pass rate.

These places ruin lives. They should be shut down for fraud.

crunk and white
Apr 21, 2008

by Ralp
I took the LSAT for the first time in December, whiffed the logic games, knew it, and cancelled my score the same day. Took it again in February, whiffed the logic games, knew it, and kept my score because I thought it'd look neurotic to cancel twice. Got a 168, which, fine, I haven't lost sleep over, and was exactly what I expected walking out of the test center, but which was also the lowest score of my regular pretesting range.

So: is it ever worth it to retake the LSAT? My understanding going in was that you took it once (scored) and lived with whatever you got, but nerds topping the Google results seem to disagree? Caveats: I'm pretty positive I wouldn't spend the money to attend anything but a T1 school, and my college GPA will shake out to just about a 3.2-3.3 when grades from both my undergrad schools are standardized and combined. So, would retaking and snagging an extra 4 points get me through a door that would otherwise have been closed, or just laughed at for wasting another 140 bucks? Averaged with the first score for a gain of 2? Dismissed entirely? What about an extra 10 points? (I won't get an extra 10 points)

For what its worth, while the February test doesn't report anything but your final score, I'd bet fair cash that I missed at most one, maybe two questions on the other three sections combined, and absolutely flunked the logic games... which is pretty consistent with how I'd been pretesting.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Most schools now take the higher score, so if you absolutely must go to law school you really need to retake.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

crunk and white posted:

For what its worth, while the February test doesn't report anything but your final score, I'd bet fair cash that I missed at most one, maybe two questions on the other three sections combined, and absolutely flunked the logic games... which is pretty consistent with how I'd been pretesting.
FYI, logic games is one of the things kaplan and the like can actually teach.
I went from like 20% right on practice tests to 100% right in logic games because of a class (think it was kaplan, but i don't know). They are very teachable.

A lot of loving money, but then, so is law school.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Seriously. I went from 4 logic games correct on my diagnostic to 19 correct day of solely on the basis of possessive bible. Do it.

Xvimic
Sep 22, 2007

Meow...
I took the Kaplan class, It does really help if you don't know what the gently caress is going on with the logic games. I went from getting 13 wrong on my 1st practice test to getting 4 wrong on test day. (still my highest incorrect on any given section though).

Only thing I really wouldn't recommend Kaplan for is Reading comp, I found their methods completely useless and my instructor who was a pretty cool, super bright guy basically admitted as much in class. Their method for LR is ok too, just don't be afraid to modify it if for yourself if you find it starts to really trip you up continually after large amounts of practice.

As a side note, if you get 170+ after taking a Kaplan or other course let the instructor know, I did and he let his boss know and she offered me a job teaching. Good part time work while you go to law school if you need it and because they have centers just about everywhere if you can get the hook-up it doesn't really matter where you decide to go to school.

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!
I took both Kaplan (like a 12 week long course) and Testmasters (their weekend review course) and I actually felt like Testmaster's system for logic games was better - at least for me. Both significantly help you out though with logic games.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004
Kaplan helped my logic games immensely but I waited a year or so after the class to take the LSAT, used the Powerscore books to brush up, and thought their logic games system was a bit better. The way Kaplan did relative sequential games (or whatever they're called) just never clicked with me.

The only thing I can credit Kaplan for on that front is that my test ended up having one of those really weird atypical games, and Kaplan had gone over it.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Xvimic posted:

Only thing I really wouldn't recommend Kaplan for is Reading comp, I found their methods completely useless and my instructor who was a pretty cool, super bright guy basically admitted as much in class.

Yeah, using Kaplan techniques actually made my RC go DOWN.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Xvimic posted:

As a side note, if you get 170+ after taking a Kaplan or other course let the instructor know, I did and he let his boss know and she offered me a job teaching. Good part time work while you go to law school if you need it and because they have centers just about everywhere if you can get the hook-up it doesn't really matter where you decide to go to school.
I don't know if things have changed but when I was shopping my services in 2007 Kaplan's pay was absolute poo poo. $12/hr for rookie instructors (this was in Houston) while Testmasters and Powerscore paid more than double that. Their classes were also heavily scripted and supervised by local middle management, while the other companies basically let you run things on your own as long as you hit the main concepts and don't tick off the students. There's no reason to work for Kaplan if you have a score that can meet the other companies' cutoffs.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 2, 2011

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

I wouldn't be going if it was even going to cost me a hundred grand

This is supposed to be in regards to Harvard Law School? :smug:

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Save me jeebus posted:

Yeah, using Kaplan techniques actually made my RC go DOWN.

This, a thousand times this. If you are doing awesome on your RC do not use their methods. Your instructor will not like this, but remember you're the one paying an assload of money to take their class, you can pick and choose whatever methods you like.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
RC is pretty hard to teach, "learn to read" because almost all the answers are explicitly stated?

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005
I had two interviews today - the first was the final round for a local set and I think it went well but I'd been given a legal problem to discuss and even though I knew it really well, I didn't sleep at all last night because I spent the whole time paranoid that I'd missed something important or got something wrong.

By the time the first interview was over, all the coffee I drank beforehand had worn off and I was in a pretty zombie-like state on the train to my next one. The website didn't say anything about the interview process so I didn't know what to expect but was ready for the usual questions. I was waiting in the reception area waiting for my interview panel to call me in, and another guy was called in to his, looking all excited and happy. His jacket collar was sticking up a bit though, and the man who called out his name just looked at him with disgust and said, 'put down that collar' and the guy's face just sank. I couldn't help laughing but I had a feeling it'd be a pretty poo poo interview.

My interview went hilariously badly - the first question was, 'so do you know your age?' and I made a joke, saying: 'please don't tell me I got the first thing on the application wrong'. Well turns out that I'd left my date of birth blank and put my date of birth as my age - great start. He then went through my application pointing out every spelling mistake and my explanation that I'd written it in five minutes just before the deadline didn't go down very well. They asked me what my strengths were next and I spoke about being likeable and relating to clients and then I mentioned having good advocacy skills and a good mooting CV, which was ignored but somehow ten minutes later we ended up talking about mooting again and the guy banged his hand on the table and shouted, 'why didn't you mention mooting before?!' to which I explained that I had, so we argued about that for a bit.

Then we moved on to talking about my personal interests. I'd written that I like music and spend a lot of my time playing instruments. They asked what I played and I listed various things: guitar, piano, accordion etc. and it progressed to me being asked how proficient I was at each of them. I talked about having passed Grade 8 piano when I was much younger, and the guy practically had an aneurysm and started shouting some more about how I should have put this down. I explained that I didn't want to use too much of the strict word count on talking about my extra-legal interests, and then as the situation became more and more ridiculous I said that I thought it was good to 'leave an element of mystique about these things'. One of the women got annoyed and said, 'not when we have over 400 applicants it isn't' to which I pointed out that I'd been offered an interview and had obviously done something right.

I have no idea how I even got an interview there - it's the most competitive place that's offered me one by far, despite my application being full of unanswered questions and spelling mistakes. If I get through to the second round then I will laugh my head off but I don't think it's likely. After we shook hands and I said goodbye, my last words as I left the room were, 'sorry again for the spelling!' which was met with icy silence.

Anyway sorry if this is all a long stream of consciousness that might not amuse anyone else as much as it did me but it's been a long day and I found it pretty funny so there you go.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

ragle posted:

This is supposed to be in regards to Harvard Law School? :smug:

Sure.

I'm immensely debt-averse. I didn't pay a dime for my undergrad- big loans are frightening. Also this thread has scared me too much for me to think it wise to go to any law school for ticket price.

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.

Elotana posted:

I don't know if things have changed but when I was shopping my services in 2007 Kaplan's pay was absolute poo poo. $12/hr for rookie instructors (this was in Houston) while Testmasters and Powerscore paid more than double that. Their classes were also heavily scripted and supervised by local middle management, while the other companies basically let you run things on your own as long as you hit the main concepts and don't tick off the students. There's no reason to work for Kaplan if you have a score that can meet the other companies' cutoffs.

I worked for Kaplan for a couple of years after taking the LSAT. In my opinion, Kaplan's greatest strength is from taking people from ~140 to ~160. It's really solid at giving people good methods for the games. For the most part, it's methods on logical reasoning questions are good too. The reading comprehension methods though, just don't quite have the same effectiveness. So much of it is looking for magic words, and it's bringing in innate skills that aren't as easily learnable for a single test.

The advantage that led me to choose to work for them was they were quite a bit more flexible in terms of schedule than Testmasters, and also in being able to go from one city to another and continue working there. My last six months for them I was working only as a tutor, and so I basically got to pick whatever hours I wanted. Of course, that did come at the expense of lower pay.

ewr2870
May 8, 2007

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

Sure.

I'm immensely debt-averse. I didn't pay a dime for my undergrad- big loans are frightening. Also this thread has scared me too much for me to think it wise to go to any law school for ticket price.

I think what he meant is: "it will cost you significantly more than $100k to go to Harvard Law School."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

ewr2870 posted:

I think what he meant is: "it will cost you significantly more than $100k to go to Harvard Law School."

HYS give out scholarships like any other school. I believe more than 50% of HLS students receive scholarships.

It certainly does cost most people over 100k to attend HYS, but that's because most people are too wealthy to receive substantial need-based aid.

If my first year loans are any indication I won't be paying more than 100k.