Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So if I am getting an intermitted BRAKE LT CIRCUIT warning, and I noticed that once out of every few times I push the pedal, my brake lights don't come on(if the lights are off, or don't go bright if the lights are on) I am probably looking at swapping the switch on the pedal arm, right?

And in the interest of E34ing up this page, here's mine, myspace angled to hell(edit: drat, new page):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
since we're on an E34 kick Im just going to post mine again

Mr.Bucket
Feb 7, 2006

Watch out! The balls pop out of his mouth!

AlternateAccount posted:

So if I am getting an intermitted BRAKE LT CIRCUIT warning, and I noticed that once out of every few times I push the pedal, my brake lights don't come on(if the lights are off, or don't go bright if the lights are on) I am probably looking at swapping the switch on the pedal arm, right?

I am new to the e34, but replacing the brake light switch on my e30 solved those exact problems.

8ender posted:

since we're on an E34 kick Im just going to post mine again

What size tires are you running? How does the ride compare to stock?

Both of you guys have phenomenal looking e34s.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Mr.Bucket posted:

What size tires are you running? How does the ride compare to stock?

Both of you guys have phenomenal looking e34s.

225/55R16 on E39 rims. I had to use rings because without I had horrible wobble. The ride is fantastic. Handling is improved and the car feels a lot more planted over bumps and uneven pavement. Going from snow tires on stock rims to those every summer is like getting a new car. Highly recommended.

That picture is the definition of "looks good at 10ft" though. Up close you can see the horrible door rust, dings and scratches. :(

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Nice. Are those seats and dash black or grey?

I've been thinking of trying to hunt down some new wheels for my e34 because the tire selection sucks, even though I really like the Style 7s. What all models can I interchange with a '94 540i? I'm not really a big wheel nut.

E:VVV Yeah I turned f.lux off and I could see it better. I thought it was kind of my car's twin since mine is white on black but mine is a '94 too so it has the scoopy front bumper so I guess not.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jul 1, 2011

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I wish it were black or grey. It's tan or beige or whatever.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AlternateAccount posted:

I am probably looking at swapping the switch on the pedal arm, right?

Right.

Here's a tasty E34 that I really *want* to buy but can't quite sell my wife on the price.

Supercharged S52 swap:

It's on bf.c right now and oh lordy me I want it.

We've also got someone joining us from the stupid questions thread who likes these things. Anyone driven one, or have direct experience with a Z4?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
It's pictures like those that would make me kick myself forever if I settled for an E39. The E34 is just a really good looking car from any angle.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crustashio posted:

It's pictures like those that would make me kick myself forever if I settled for an E39. The E34 is just a really good looking car from any angle.

Black E34 with Basketweaves :swoon:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I really regret not buying an E34. All the ones for sale in my area are priced the same as E36's. I was just afraid of maintenance costs.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
That E34 wagon is awesome, how much are they wanting for it?

And yeah, mine has the basketweaves in fantastic shape. My smart friends recognize them as awesome. The friends that don't, well their stock is down in heavy trading.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

AlternateAccount posted:

That E34 wagon is awesome, how much are they wanting for it?
Only 12k: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1637457

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

I don't know, that's pretty sweet but I think if I had 12k in bimmer money, I would just keep going til I had enough for my unicorn E34 M5.

I'd pay 9k for it though.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
For gently caress's sake that wagon looks awesome. Makes me want to dump the wife's Mazda protégé5 for it.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Out of any engine I could swap into an e34, an s52 would probably be my last choice. It looks pretty nice and clean but that price is hilarious.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

AlternateAccount posted:

I wish it were black or grey. It's tan or beige or whatever.

Why does tan leather even exist? Every car I want, I want black leather in it. Yet every time I buy a car it has that stupid tan leather in it. If I ever get rich, I'm flooding the used market with black leather seats.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Black interior with sport seats is the best E34 interior. Everything is perfect except the BMW opted for "the gutter" instead of cup holders.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That early airbag steering wheel too.

That car looks in fantastic shape though, usually they're ruined.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

dissss posted:

That car looks in fantastic shape though, usually they're ruined.

Its a classic Canadian BMW. The interior is spotless, its mechanically perfect, and the body is rusting in about a thousand places.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Lowclock posted:

Out of any engine I could swap into an e34, an s52 would probably be my last choice.
I'll never understand the s52 ambivalence.

It's not a lot of work to maintain, parts are common since it's not that much different from the m52, it makes decent power for it's weight (better than the s38 at least) and about the worst issue you'll run into would be the vanos tick (in the US at least, no nikasil ones came here.)

It's not sexy, but it's hard to beat the performance + reliability combo.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

krysmopompas posted:

I'll never understand the s52 ambivalence.

It's not a lot of work to maintain, parts are common since it's not that much different from the m52, it makes decent power for it's weight (better than the s38 at least) and about the worst issue you'll run into would be the vanos tick (in the US at least, no nikasil ones came here.)

It's not sexy, but it's hard to beat the performance + reliability combo.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice engine, but you could have more powerful motors in an e34 without having to swap anything in the first place. To me it feels like if you were to upgrade an old 4 banger Camaro to a V6. Sure it's better than it was, but it could have been so much better.

Das Goof
Nov 13, 2004
I've just inherited a 1989 318i with only 66000km on it. :) It's currently in the shop getting a few minor niggles worked out (mostly as a result of sitting in a shed for 15 years) and apart from the paint on the back being a tad faded, it's perfect.

Well, except for the wasps nests... so many of them hiding around the place...

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Lowclock posted:

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice engine, but you could have more powerful motors in an e34 without having to swap anything in the first place. To me it feels like if you were to upgrade an old 4 banger Camaro to a V6. Sure it's better than it was, but it could have been so much better.

I agree. A car like that needs an LS1 swap or something. Or at least a 540i engine or some other BMW v8.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
A supercharged S52 is an interesting swap. Isn't it much lighter than the M6x series of engines? Just about anyone I've talked to says the e34s/e39s with the sixes handle better than the v8s. I would think it'd almost be a drop in swap for an E34 since they had M50s.

If he was going to do a V8 swap, it should have been an S62. That would be something I'd buy if it was done properly, especially since it is a touring.

The guy with the Hartge 535 finally got back to me, turns out it's an automatic. Disappointing.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

8ender posted:

Black interior with sport seats is the best E34 interior. Everything is perfect except the BMW opted for "the gutter" instead of cup holders.

That interior is so goddamn fantastic and looks so much better than my tan grocery-go-getter looking one :\

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I'm checking out a 1988 BMW 325iX 5-speed with 230,000 miles on it for $1,900. I know that these cars have the potential to run forever, but the mileage scares me regardless. He said there's only a little surface rust and that the shift linkage is a bit worn. Anything I should check for specifically in these cars?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I'm checking out a 1988 BMW 325iX 5-speed with 230,000 miles on it for $1,900. I know that these cars have the potential to run forever, but the mileage scares me regardless. He said there's only a little surface rust and that the shift linkage is a bit worn. Anything I should check for specifically in these cars?

Check my posts in this thread (the ? mark). If you are on a budget at all an iX is not really a good idea for an e30. At the very least get a PPI if you're going to get it. There are some AWD bits that would cost you up to 1/2 of the purchase price.

That worn shift linkage isn't fixable on a 325iX without removing the exhaust, heatshields, driveshaft and transfer case. It's just short of doing an entire clutch job.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Crustashio posted:

Check my posts in this thread (the ? mark). If you are on a budget at all an iX is not really a good idea for an e30. At the very least get a PPI if you're going to get it. There are some AWD bits that would cost you up to 1/2 of the purchase price.

That worn shift linkage isn't fixable on a 325iX without removing the exhaust, heatshields, driveshaft and transfer case. It's just short of doing an entire clutch job.

I actually just sold my 1G DSM this morning so I have a little extra cash to play with now. Thanks for the info on the shift linkage, I'll have to pass on this car. There was a rust free e30 325i in my area with an M50 swap, maybe I'll look into that.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Found one and a half euro headlights in a junkyard today including the adjusters. Other half's headlight glass was broken but perfect condition high beam. They're Depos but are in really nice shape.
So now I have 2 Hella smilies, 1 and a half Depo smilies, 1 and a half Hella Euro highbeams, and 2 Depo Euro highbeams.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Car: 1997 328i (E36) with fold-down rear seats

My driver's side rear seat belt keeps locking up. I can't pull it out all the way. I've managed to get it out some of the way, but only by dicking around with it. I really need to get this fixed, and the internet hasn't been much help. Anybody have any ideas?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

hitze posted:

Found one and a half euro headlights in a junkyard today including the adjusters. Other half's headlight glass was broken but perfect condition high beam. They're Depos but are in really nice shape.
So now I have 2 Hella smilies, 1 and a half Depo smilies, 1 and a half Hella Euro highbeams, and 2 Depo Euro highbeams.

I have a set of US ellipsoids I could sell you if you want.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

CornHolio posted:

Car: 1997 328i (E36) with fold-down rear seats

My driver's side rear seat belt keeps locking up. I can't pull it out all the way. I've managed to get it out some of the way, but only by dicking around with it. I really need to get this fixed, and the internet hasn't been much help. Anybody have any ideas?

2 door? I've got the same problem on the passenger side on my 328is. Sometimes it works perfectly, other times my passengers give up and move to the other seat. I'm guessing it's an issue with the restraint mechanism.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Four door, but it's probably the same part.

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007
Hi all. I originally posted this in the main area of AI and it was suggested to me to post these questions here as I might get some more responses.

I've got the opportunity to buy a 2005 BMW X5 6 cylinder with the premium and sport packages, 88K miles, excellent condition inside and out for about 17k. From the research I've done this seems like an OK deal and I have until Tuesday to make up my mind.

I have a few questions that maybe someone can help me out with:

In the past I've heard that parts for foreign (to the US) vehicles and the associated labor are much more expensive than a domestic. Is this true? Besides that are BMW parts and labor generally more expensive?

Will I need to always use premium gas in this type of vehicle?

The vehicle's CPO status expired June 30 or 100K miles, will I be able to get some kind of extended warranty. If so, what's your advice on that?

Anything I should consider about this vehicle before buying it? I like to think that I have done my homework - I haven't read or come across anything that suggests that these X5s have anything major wrong with them as a vehicle, although I did read about issues with individual vehicles.

17.5 seems like a good price in comparison to others I've found with similar specs. I'm going to offer 17 - doesn't seem like a bad deal right?

Thanks for your help on this!

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

At 80+k miles you're looking at a cooling system overhaul/refresh, explicitly ask the seller if anything had been done in terms of that. X5s are an suv derivative of the e39 and those things tend to get hot if not properly maintained. If the guy selling it has no idea what you're talking about -- run/try knocking off a grand or four. Oh and make sure that the suspension isn't thrashed as well, bmw bushings tend to eat through your wallet. When buying a BMW you must also get acquainted with the following term: preventative maintenance. Depending on your OCD levels you may or may not go insane.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 4, 2011

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

awesome-express posted:

preventative maintenance...

Cool, I'll ask about that. We saw a DVD player in the back and the guy mentioned it was for the nav system, however I noticed a slot loading and tray loading port on the same unit. I asked him about this and he said the vehicle was pre-wired for DVD, we just had to add a screen. Does that make sense?

Also, I saw some third row seats for about $55 each which seems kind of cheap. I know third row seating in the X5 is tight, but what are people doing for third row seats? There must be more comfortable variants than $54 ones?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
awesome-express covered the rest, so:

Stares At Floor posted:

Will I need to always use premium gas in this type of vehicle?

Yes. It's only 20-25 cents a gallon difference, that's about $4-5 per tank if the capacity is around 20 gallons. Not really a big deal. If you use a lower octane at best you'll experience reduced power and fuel economy (defeating any possible savings, those who do this insisting they are saving money are stupid), at worst it has the potential to destroy the engine.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Stares At Floor posted:

In the past I've heard that parts for foreign (to the US) vehicles and the associated labor are much more expensive than a domestic.

I don't know whether the plant makes any of the parts domestically, but X5s are manufactured in South Carolina (as well as Mexico and Russia). Part for part, I am curious if an X5 is more than a comparable Lexus.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

wolrah posted:

awesome-express covered the rest, so:

Yes. It's only 20-25 cents a gallon difference, that's about $4-5 per tank if the capacity is around 20 gallons. Not really a big deal. If you use a lower octane at best you'll experience reduced power and fuel economy (defeating any possible savings, those who do this insisting they are saving money are stupid), at worst it has the potential to destroy the engine.

In the mid-west, many of lower-grades contain ethanol which lowers fuel efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The x5 is a nice SUV for the money... but I think the price is a touch high. The AWD system in these cars are quite nice. It feels and drives like a rear wheel drive sedan but with the space of an SUV. Plus 6000 pound towing capacity isn't all that bad either.