Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Reinanigans posted:

Is there any sort of "What if" story that depicts what things would have been like had Anakin never turned to the dark side? It'd be cool to see all the cool poo poo he could've done if he kept his body and reached his full potential. Also, what the galaxy would have been like with a good Skywalker around instead of the Empire, or fighting the Empire at least.

Dark Horse has said they won't make Prequel Infinities like they did for the OT, because the OT ones didn't sell well, so the closest to what you're talking about will probably remain the recent Darth Vader and the Last Command comic that just finished running. In it there's a subplot where Vader comes up with a fantasy scenario in his head where he didn't turn evil. From what I recall, he helped Mace kill Palpatine, and in return the Jedi let him stay openly married to Padme. Anakin eventually becomes the leader of the Jedi and Padme becomes the Chancellor, and they have a son who Anakin takes on as his Padawan and together they fight Sith (although it's not really made clear who exactly those Sith are or where they came from).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Nckdictator posted:

I'd love a Palpatine-era Empire vs Vong short story or something... :smith: God I'm nerdy.

The Empire would have shown a marked inability to adapt and, while their numbers would count for something, the Vong would eventually roll over them Thrawn would get word from the Core regions about what's going on. Knowing the Chiss had faced the Vong before, he'd head back and mop the floor with them.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Torael_7 posted:

The Empire would have shown a marked inability to adapt and, while their numbers would count for something, the Vong would eventually roll over them Thrawn would get word from the Core regions about what's going on. Knowing the Chiss had faced the Vong before, he'd head back and mop the floor with them.

He'd have to get a sample of their art first...actually, the Vong don't really seem like the sort of people to go in for art.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Didn't Han get a line in some book regarding that scenario after a bunch of books implied that the Empire would have beaten the Vong handily if the Rebels had left them intact?

Found it. Thanks, Wookiepedia

quote:

"What the Empire would have done is build a supercolossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing Battle Machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."

Considering the fleet that fought the second Death Star was the Star Wars equivalent of Carnival Cruise Lines strapping cannons onto the Seaward Princess I'm inclined to agree with him.

EDIT: Also, their ground forces were taken out by space bears.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Razorwired posted:

Didn't Han get a line in some book regarding that scenario after a bunch of books implied that the Empire would have beaten the Vong handily if the Rebels had left them intact?

Considering the fleet that fought the second Death Star was the Star Wars equivalent of Carnival Cruise Lines strapping cannons onto the Seaward Princess I'm inclined to agree with him.

See. The entire EU was worth it just for that one paragraph.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Chairman Capone posted:

He'd have to get a sample of their art first...actually, the Vong don't really seem like the sort of people to go in for art.

They quite liked those porcelean statues your gran enjoys really.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
So when does the X-Wing series come to iBooks/Kindle so I can not eat for a month but read about Wedge flying in space dogfights with an elbow hanging out the window?

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Ringo Star Get posted:

So when does the X-Wing series come to iBooks/Kindle so I can not eat for a month but read about Wedge flying in space dogfights with an elbow hanging out the window?

Seriously. I need more Star Wars on my Kindle :-(

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I just saw that my local library has the NPR Star Wars radio drama and I just started listening to it today on the way to/from work. I got through the first episode with Luke and his friends on Tatooine. It's interesting to hear some of the early take on things from the movie, before the current EU set in stone its own interpretation.

Probably the most interesting thing was that the "Academy" that Biggs went to and Luke wanted to go to wasn't an Imperial military institution, but seemed more like some kind of training center for commercial starship crews. Biggs mentions that the Empire is encouraging more people to go to the Academy just so it can draft them into the Imperial fleet later. Also the rebellion seems to be a lot lower-key, Luke talks about Biggs never being able to find anyone in the Rebel Alliance and Luke's friends all dismiss the rebellion as something that's only a minor thing a long way from Tatooine. Also, "Empire" gets used as a geographical (astrographical?) term while in the modern EU "galaxy" would probably be used instead.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Also the rebellion seems to be a lot lower-key, Luke talks about Biggs never being able to find anyone in the Rebel Alliance and Luke's friends all dismiss the rebellion as something that's only a minor thing a long way from Tatooine.

Makes sense I guess. I mean, the Rebellion wasn't exactly recruiting on Tatooine and the Empire clearly didn't care about it either, seeing as how Obi Wan hid out there for a while, right?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Homura posted:

Makes sense I guess. I mean, the Rebellion wasn't exactly recruiting on Tatooine and the Empire clearly didn't care about it either, seeing as how Obi Wan hid out there for a while, right?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Anchorhead_Base

:eng101:

Why do I know this?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Ringo Star Get posted:

Homura posted:

Seriously. I need more Star Wars on my Kindle :-(

You're both in luck because all the SW books were released on the 28th
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_32?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=star+wars+xwing

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Razorwired posted:

Which author wrote that line?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

Which author wrote that line?

I believe it's from Destiny's Way, which would make it Walter Jon Williams. A really great author and the EU would really benefit by having him back. I'd particularly recommend his Dread Empire's Fall trilogy and his standalone novel Aristoi.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm sure we all know that he would be far from helpless even without their art.

I mean, in Outbound Flight he gained plenty of insight from his nothing but his foe's ships. :science:

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
In Star Wars related video game news Battlefront 2 and Empire at War are on sale at Steam for $2:49 and $4:99 and all the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games for $13:99.

Jedi Knight II is still a amazing game despite its age. That reminds me of a question I had: What's Kyle Katarn and/or Jan Ors doing in the EU lately? I stopped reading after the first Dark Nest book and recall Kyle had a brief cameo in the last NJO book.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Nckdictator posted:

In Star Wars related video game news Battlefront 2 and Empire at War are on sale at Steam for $2:49 and $4:99 and all the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games for $13:99.

Jedi Knight II is still a amazing game despite its age. That reminds me of a question I had: What's Kyle Katarn and/or Jan Ors doing in the EU lately? I stopped reading after the first Dark Nest book and recall Kyle had a brief cameo in the last NJO book.

The only thing I can remember happening is Kyle getting his poo poo wrecked by Jac- I mean caedus. I know he's been involved in the Jedi trial and removing Daala.

That's great news about the games though. Besides KotoR 2, those are my two favorite star wars games.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

astr0man posted:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_32?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=star+wars+xwing

Welp time to get downloadin'.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

astr0man posted:

Ringo Star Get posted:

Welp time to get downloadin'.

Also on it, hell yes!

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

Nckdictator posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Anchorhead_Base

:eng101:

Why do I know this?

Biggs sucks at finding Rebels then. :colbert:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Nckdictator posted:

KOTOR is also on sale for 2.49 today. And until July 10 all LucasArts games are 33% off.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Why can't Lucasarts make a Jedi Knight 3 instead of the Force Unleashed bullshit? Didn't Force Unleashed bankrupt the company?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why can't Lucasarts make a Jedi Knight 3 instead of the Force Unleashed bullshit? Didn't Force Unleashed bankrupt the company?

Did it really? God, I hope so. What I would really like is for LucasArts to finally put Curse of Monkey Island on Steam, dammit!

Also at one point they were at least considering making more Jedi Knight games, because Denning wanted to kill Kyle Katarn in Star by Star, but LucasArts put a hold on it in case they ever did a Jedi Knight NJO game. But now that both Kyle and Jaden Korr are prominent book characters I doubt that they'll be the star of games again, especially with Starkiller now being the default Force-using OT-era action game character.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

This has probably been answered a while back, but was there ever any consensus if The Force Unleashed was better or worse for Wii? I saw it in store for $20 (used, I think), and was wondering if it's worth it.

Or maybe I'll finally figure out how to emulate Windows on my Mac and get KotOR II.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mojo1701a posted:

This has probably been answered a while back, but was there ever any consensus if The Force Unleashed was better or worse for Wii? I saw it in store for $20 (used, I think), and was wondering if it's worth it.

Or maybe I'll finally figure out how to emulate Windows on my Mac and get KotOR II.

It's loving terrible on the Wii. I played it on the PS3 and on the Wii, the Wii version was like playing a Hong Kong knockoff game.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

It's loving terrible on the Wii. I played it on the PS3 and on the Wii, the Wii version was like playing a Hong Kong knockoff game.

Well, poo poo. Is it at least worth getting on the PS3 for $20?

NeonTurtle
Sep 24, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING GENOCIDE

mojo1701a posted:

Well, poo poo. Is it at least worth getting on the PS3 for $20?

For twenty bucks? I'd say that would be a decent buy. I'll admit, the game is pretty fun, in a "unstoppable juggernaut of destruction" way.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I wouldn't buy the 1st Force Unleashed for that much, as it has been out for a fair few years now.

Then again, it has been out of print for a while and prices do rise. Despite it being a shadow of a proper Star Wars game.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I really hope the rumors about Spark Unlimited showing Battlefront 3 at ComicCon this year will be true :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What? No, the Force Unleashed series made a ton of money. The first game sold 1.5 million copies in one week when it first came out and sold over 8 million copies altogether. Finding sales figures for TFU2 is a little harder but one source says it sold at least 2 million.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So why is Lucasarts basically dead?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They still aren't making a followup to the X-Wing series?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It seemed to happen about the same time they got that new ceo or president. I would say she's not a fan of TFU since she cancelled it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
gently caress TFU, gimmie more X-Wing \ TIE Fighter or get out.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What is Factor 5 up to? Are they dead?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I probably would have enjoyed TFU more if the PC port wasn't god awful.

The DLC was probably the only good part of it too.

CerebralAssassin
Nov 16, 2005
Oh yea..... I'm THAT important

Nckdictator posted:

I really hope the rumors about Spark Unlimited showing Battlefront 3 at ComicCon this year will be true :(

I have been waiting for this game for way too long.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is Factor 5 up to? Are they dead?

Dead. Lair was their last hope and it bombed hard.

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

CerebralAssassin posted:

I have been waiting for this game for way too long.

Ditto. God drat I want it so bad :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I like all the old stuff, like Full Throttle. I wish they were playable on my current system.