Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

So, I've just been trying out Project Nevada 2.1 and... my god.

The new configuration menu seems to cause all kinds of breaks in other mods, and after I tried uninstalling it through FOMM the entire drat game broke and refused to load past the initial splash screen. Even after disabling all my mods it still wouldn't work, so I had to delete everything, verify Steam files and then reapply my mods to get it to work again. :bang:

PN looks awesome on paper, but so far my experience with it has been pretty lovely. New Vegas ran fine until I started using it. It also seems to mess with Nevada Skies, which isn't cool in my book. Maybe once they release a version that actually works with most other common mods, I'll try it again. But not before that.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I haven't bothered updating Project Nevada since its release. Except for the occasional refuse to zoom the screen back out after sprinting it works fine.

How's that FO3 in NV mod working out, besides the guy who has nothing but red error blocks everywhere?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Moldy Meatball posted:

It also seems to mess with Nevada Skies, which isn't cool in my book. Maybe once they release a version that actually works with most other common mods, I'll try it again. But not before that.

Pretty sure the problem here was your mod setup. :ssh:

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Moldy Meatball posted:

The new configuration menu seems to cause all kinds of breaks in other mods, and after I tried uninstalling it through FOMM the entire drat game broke and refused to load past the initial splash screen. Even after disabling all my mods it still wouldn't work, so I had to delete everything, verify Steam files and then reapply my mods to get it to work again. :bang:

PN looks awesome on paper, but so far my experience with it has been pretty lovely. New Vegas ran fine until I started using it. It also seems to mess with Nevada Skies, which isn't cool in my book. Maybe once they release a version that actually works with most other common mods, I'll try it again. But not before that.

I've never been a fan of Project Nevada either. Tried it several times, didn't understand why it's been getting so much praise (on Nexus anyway).
The only thing that comes in handy is the list of mods they've used, in case I forget where to download grenade-hotkey or sprint mod :P

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Moldy Meatball posted:

Uh, care to post your load order? I'm running a bunch of mods, including Nevada Skies, and Project Nevada 2.1 has worked just fine for me, even after upgrading.

General "best practice" for mod upgrade/installation with Bethesda games is to uninstall said mod, make a "clean" save without the mod, and then install the updated version. This usually helps avoid the type of situation you have, and is not related directly to Project Nevada at all. Also make sure you are using the FOMM version of the mod, not the manual version.

Swartz posted:

I've never been a fan of Project Nevada either. Tried it several times, didn't understand why it's been getting so much praise (on Nexus anyway).
The only thing that comes in handy is the list of mods they've used, in case I forget where to download grenade-hotkey or sprint mod :P

I guess it isn't apparent at first, but if you look at the coding/back end that goes into PN, you can see how clean the mod is made. Everything is controlled through scripts, added to formID lists through scripts, and basically compatible with drat near any other mod. The weapons module is pretty sweet too and very compatible, although I wish Arenovalis would contribute to it instead of FOOK :argh:

I really like the overhaul because I liked FWE in Fallout 3, and also because the guys who make it tend to have the same ideas of MY IMMERSION! as I do.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Gyshall posted:

although I wish Arenovalis would contribute to it instead of FOOK :argh:

Me first. :colbert:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Welp...

Level 13.
Hard difficulty; Hardcore.
I have a Trait that gave me +1 to Strength, Endurance, and Agility in exchange for all chems and consumables being only half as effective (Stimpaks heal ~18 HP.)
Project Nevada Food and Ammo rarity 10% (extreme), food doesn't heal, and Alternative Repair prevents me from scrapping weapons on the fly...I need repair kits for that.
Dead Money.

This is what separates the men from the boys. :clint:

Just how did you sneak that rebreather into the Villa? :colbert:

Seriously, though - I want to know. Nevada Skies screwed with the weather when I played through Dead Money and two districts were under some really intense darkness in the middle of the afternoon. (The sort of darkness that the regular world sees about 2:00 in the morning.) Being able to bring my Advanced Recon Headgear (I can't live without the NVG mode) into the Villa would have let me view the DLC in a much more positive light.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
To celebrate Canada Day, I give to you Canadian fucks (like me) one of our military's active weapons - the C7A2, with optional silencer and scope mods. The Armory's required, sorry non-Armory users.

Note that even though this gun will be in the future 2.5 update, I changed the IDs so they won't conflict though I'd personally deactivate it when the time comes. Also, it obviously has no support for leveled lists nor has it been added to any other formlists. Enjoy it for now and do report problems so I can fix 'em.

:canada:

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Moldy Meatball posted:

Project Nevada isn't buggy at all, it's actually one of the most polished mods I've ever seen and I'm pretty familiar with how they all work. Any conflicts that project nevada has that causes other mods to break can be fixed in 5 minutes by moving around your load order and poking around NVEdit.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Speaking of buggy mods, am I the only one whose initial impression of Underground Hideout was horribly negative? Typos abound, the intro simulation quest managed to lose my Vera's Outfit when looting the chest, and the clincher is interacting with HEIDI (the AI thing) breaks my camera every. single. time, forcing me to use the s1st console command to restore it.

This is mainly why I was looking for Lucky 38 suite improvements, and mistrusting of them. I'd rather have the original suite expansion mod, with less features, than something full of buggy features.

Jan fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 1, 2011

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Nah you're not the only one, modders need to learn that most people would much rather have something simple that fills a need than download a mod that reinvents the wheel and lags the game enough to cause memory crashes. UHNV is a classic example of a simple mod that persisted for way too many versions and has become stupidly unplayable at this point.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah Underground hideout is just a mess at this point. It was a fantastic house mod until he really jumped the shark and started doing VI simulators and adding poorly scripted quests.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I really haven't seen any need to interact with HEIDI at all when playing with UHNV. Beneath all her video screens is a separate interactable object that launches the "console" that you can do stuff with. Really, at this point all I'm using UHNV for are the collections. If there were another hideout mod that had as many sorters, display walls, and quest trophies as it did, I'd switch in a heartbeat and never look back.

Though on the "why bother playing at all" side of things, you can exploit the "tgm" command and the shooting range for literally infinite XP by continually shooting a blue target until you get tired of holding down the mouse button. The hunting simulation was also kinda-sorta fun to a point.

Am I also the only person who completely cheeses the "quest" for UHNV by deactivating clipping and avoiding the laser hallway entirely? I still have yet to find a way to do that legitimately. I'm convinced it's not possible.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

SourceElement posted:

Am I also the only person who completely cheeses the "quest" for UHNV by deactivating clipping and avoiding the laser hallway entirely? I still have yet to find a way to do that legitimately. I'm convinced it's not possible.

All the lasers did for me was obnoxiously make my view completely white, until I stopped moving. So, uh, I guess I did it legitimately?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The lasers in my version explode. I think it's an explosion at least. All I know is that when the white light clears, I'm dead and gibbed.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Question for those of you who are fans of the K98 as it affects what we do with it in the future with The Armory... as you might have noticed, the Mosin-Nagant doesn't quite animate accurately because we're cheating with it. The Mosin and the K98 are both actually top fed, bolt action rifles and as far as I can tell it's impossible to get both animations working together unless we figure out how to create a new reload+attach animation that can work together. With the Mosin, detaching the part that holds the clip is how we're cheating, but with the K98 it has nothing like this.

So my question to you guys is - would you like us to cheat again like with the Mosin and chalk it up to lol gun runner custom lol or would you prefer us to just not use it at all until someone can blend those animations together? I ask all this because the K98 is probably the most requested gun to date...

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
If it really bothers the hell out of me, I won't use it, but I doubt it would. I vote for cheating again.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
It would bother the hell out of me too.

What about a different, more unique Nazi gun?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gewehr_43

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

lilspooky posted:

It would bother the hell out of me too.

What about a different, more unique Nazi gun?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gewehr_43

Yeah, if only we had that in the pack, huh. If only...

:)

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

A blend of the Hunting Rifle and This Machine's reload would be ideal, since you have the bolt opening/closing and (could) have a stripper clip of 8mm Mauser take the place of This Machine's en bloc.

You actually might want to check our Hunting Rifle model. We may have even slipped a stripper clip into the stock for an animation experiment we never followed up on. .308 and 8mm Mauser aren't that close, but it might be a good starting point.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Moldy Meatball posted:

Like a few others are requesting, definitely post your load order. I've been using PN 2.1, the WMX patch, and the DLC patches for the last few weeks (2.1 since it was released internally) and haven't had any issues whatsoever. And this is coming from a load order that I frequently add and remove mods from on the fly, in addition to Nevada Skies.

SourceElement posted:

Just how did you sneak that rebreather into the Villa? :colbert:

Seriously, though - I want to know. Nevada Skies screwed with the weather when I played through Dead Money and two districts were under some really intense darkness in the middle of the afternoon. (The sort of darkness that the regular world sees about 2:00 in the morning.) Being able to bring my Advanced Recon Headgear (I can't live without the NVG mode) into the Villa would have let me view the DLC in a much more positive light.

I'm not supposed to have it? I have no idea, then. When I woke up in Dead Money, it was one of the few items left on my person, besides the "distinctive cigarettes" and a couple of other things. Maybe it's still flagged as a quest item, even though the quest was finished?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Naky posted:

Yeah, if only we had that in the pack, huh. If only...

:)

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. Thought you guys were making a new gun from scratch.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

rope kid posted:

A blend of the Hunting Rifle and This Machine's reload would be ideal, since you have the bolt opening/closing and (could) have a stripper clip of 8mm Mauser take the place of This Machine's en bloc.

You actually might want to check our Hunting Rifle model. We may have even slipped a stripper clip into the stock for an animation experiment we never followed up on. .308 and 8mm Mauser aren't that close, but it might be a good starting point.

From my experiments thus far, I'm not sure if it's possible. My experiments doing exactly what you said by using ReloadP, but naming the bolt so it can work with Attack 3/9 just doesn't work well with the reload animations despite the animation itself working fine after adjusting it. Basically it works great until the hand movements to open up what would normally be the pullrod doesn't work on the bolt and the clip passes through the bolt's mesh. It looks terrible, but I guess it's better than nothing :(

I think what would be ideal is modifying one of the attack animations and/or ReloadP's animation so that ##PullRod == ##HRBolt.

lilspooky posted:

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. Thought you guys were making a new gun from scratch.

I was poking fun at you. We've had a G43 from day one.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Oh seriously? Awesome! Wish I had a comp that could play Fallout, hell, anything, again.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm not supposed to have it? I have no idea, then. When I woke up in Dead Money, it was one of the few items left on my person, besides the "distinctive cigarettes" and a couple of other things. Maybe it's still flagged as a quest item, even though the quest was finished?

Yeah, it's a quest item by default, so it normally stays, I believe. I'm using a mod that changes its equipment slot and quest status, however, so it didn't follow me to Sierra Madre.

I've been trying out the Lucky 38 Suite Reloaded, and it's actually kinda nice. I did have to solve conflicts with Interior Lighting Overhaul -- its "Original Lucky 38 Suite" add-on that's supposed to restore the suite doesn't actually restore everything, so I ended up just nuking the whole cell from ILO.

The hall is gorgeous, much more like what I expected when I was first given access to a "presidential" suite. I like that it's a single cell instead of split up into 5-6 like Underground Hideout, even if that means slightly longer load times. There's sorters, weapon display cases, but no mannequins. (How will I show off my outfit collection!? :argh:) Of course, most of the work in the sorters and display racks comes from UHNV, but who cares.

There are some upgrading issues if you'd purchased anything in the vanilla suite, though, as all some upgrade containers show up in their original location. Nothing that can't be fixed with a little console work, though.

The biggest shortcoming is the horribly jarring text, riddled with typos, grammatical errors and bad translations from French. I offered the author to proofread and translate anything he wants, which will probably get me banned from Nexus. :v:

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Jan posted:

The biggest shortcoming is the horribly jarring text, riddled with typos, grammatical errors and bad translations from French. I offered the author to proofread and translate anything he wants, which will probably get me banned from Nexus. :v:

Just do it and offer it to him. If he doesn't like it/use it, throw it up here and be done with it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Naky posted:

Anyone looking for more quest mods to try, have you seen this new one, the New Vegas Trade Center? From the description and screenshots it doesn't look half bad.

This looks really interesting. It's by the same guy who did "More Perks", which gives me the feeling it's going to get bloated at some point and release six or seven versions long after it jumps the shark. Still, it sounds awesome.

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

Seconding underground hideout being cool at first but degrading over time. The last update added making GBS threads sounds when you go to the toilet and an open/close reactor door that adds rads (That almost instantly get removed )

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
EVE:NV v1.0 just hit Nexus: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=42666

File is currently missing though, which is odd. Don't know what happened there.

It's uploading still. Not sure why he made the page before the upload was complete, but whatever.

Swartz fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jul 1, 2011

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I don't have my load order anymore, but it was something along the lines of

Core .esm files
Project Nevada .esms
Project Nevada .esps
Project Nevada DLC Patches
WMX .esps
WMX DLC Files
Project Nevada WMX Patch
Darn's UI
Nevada Skies

For some reason the timescale on Nevada Skies stopped working correctly after I installed PN (only got can't-see-poo poo dark for a few hours in the morning, brightest time of day was 4 PM) even though it's last in the load order. It seemed like different parts of the PN interface would fail to load properly on each try (first the main config menus, then Cyberware, then the config menu again).

And to those asking about clean saves, this was a brand new character I was testing things on.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 1, 2011

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Swartz posted:

It's uploading still. Not sure why he made the page before the upload was complete, but whatever.

That's the way uploading on Nexus works. I guess he couldn't be arsed to hide it while uploading.

On a side note, uh, is there a way to disable the incredibly obnoxious spell checking in GECK? GECK PowerUp doesn't seem to work with the latest version.

Whining edit: I don't know how you guys can stand these lovely tools. Maybe I'm spoiled by past work on Unreal engine, but seriously, these things have the usability of UnrealEd 1.0. Or maybe 2.0, let's be fair, UnrealEd 1.0 was unstable as hell and written in BASIC or something.

Jan fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 2, 2011

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Jan posted:

That's the way uploading on Nexus works. I guess he couldn't be arsed to hide it while uploading.

On a side note, uh, is there a way to disable the incredibly obnoxious spell checking in GECK? GECK PowerUp doesn't seem to work with the latest version.

Whining edit: I don't know how you guys can stand these lovely tools. Maybe I'm spoiled by past work on Unreal engine, but seriously, these things have the usability of UnrealEd 1.0. Or maybe 2.0, let's be fair, UnrealEd 1.0 was unstable as hell and written in BASIC or something.

I do most of my work with Nifskope/Lightwave and just do the initial entry work with GECK via setting the object window to ALL and using the filter window to jump to where-ever I need to go. In the 3D window though, learn the keyboard shortcuts and when placing things I've found entering things in an XYZ fashion to be far better than loving around with the mouse view and all the different buttons you have to hold down to rotate and move on various axises. Axisii. Axisis. I dunno.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
What's the reason there hasn't been complete model replacement? The idea of having fully custom companions would be really cool, but my guess is there's some limitation.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Cubemario posted:

What's the reason there hasn't been complete model replacement? The idea of having fully custom companions would be really cool, but my guess is there's some limitation.

I don't get what you mean by model replacement. What needs replacement? In my experience, most models are actually fine or need small tweaks - it's the textures that makes the difference. Just look at what Arenovalis does with the stock meshes. As for companions, I imagine what holds back most people is the need for quality voice acting both on a technical (equipment) level and an acting level.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
I meant custom player models with custom rigs and entirely different appearances. Maybe it's been done on some level with MMM in FO3 and I don't remember. I suppose it's uncommon for the reasons you said.

I sometimes forget games are far more complicated than back in the days of UT where custom player models and the like were commonplace.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Cubemario posted:

There have been: Type 3, the furry mods, Children of the Wasteland, ED-E as an anime ect. Besides turning Bethesda RPGs into porn games there's not a lot of reason to modify the base body models themselves. The way these games handle clothing is by completely replacing the body parts with clothed ones, so any alterations to the underlying body aren't carried through without modifying every single piece of armor.

Likewise any new clothes or armor have to be fully rigged to work. Creating a new suit of armor pretty much IS building a replacement character model.

There was an experimental mod that used scripts to make people skinny or fat but I don't know if it ever matured into something useable.

Internet Friend fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 2, 2011

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I haven't played New Vegas in a long time but when I did play I remember several "Realistic/Balanced Combat" mods such as the Realistic Battle and Dynamic Combat mod. Anyone have an idea which became the number one contender among the Fallout NV community?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=16372

I am almost obligated to combine this with C4 and put it in the pack. I may not but goddamn.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Naky posted:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=16372

I am almost obligated to combine this with C4 and put it in the pack. I may not but goddamn.

Do it. It'll give death by hugs a whole new meaning! :downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Is there a good, simple mod that changes hardcore to only have the water/hunger/thirst needs, and stimpack healing over time, but doesn't add weight to ammo and other items?

And doesn't add a new house, 4 unique weapons, and a sex bot?