Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
So I decided to pick this up last Friday, thinking I'd just check out a few pages, but it turned out I accidentally read the entire archive.

Short weekend.

I felt this recent chapter was effective, though the last several hundred pages still fresh in my mind, it's probably because I remembered this page when reading Monday's. That's a pretty unsettling echo, there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Bad Seafood posted:

So I decided to pick this up last Friday, thinking I'd just check out a few pages, but it turned out I accidentally read the entire archive.

Short weekend.

I felt this recent chapter was effective, though the last several hundred pages still fresh in my mind, it's probably because I remembered this page when reading Monday's. That's a pretty unsettling echo, there.

Oh poo poo. Very interesting parallel. Thanks for sharing that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

UnoriginalMind posted:

Oh poo poo. Very interesting parallel. Thanks for sharing that.

I... don't get it. What's the parallel?

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Calaveron posted:

I... don't get it. What's the parallel?

Coyote says that the Court is mankind's attempt to become God. Here is a robot of the Court proclaiming Kat, a student of the Court, divine, if not straight up their God.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Interesting parallel, but blunted a bit by how pissed off Kat would be if she were to find out about Robot's cult.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Boxbot, how did you even get up there?

You come down from there right now, young man. ...Robot.

Robox, stop leering at him, you're being creepy! :mad: ...Also, can't help but hear Robox's voice as Mr. Popo as played by the Team Four Star guys. I can only assume that after the final panel, Robox went "Byeeee!" and walked off.

...Man, Boxbot's lookin' pretty beat up. :(

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

For what my opinion's worth not much I didn't really like the chapter too much while it was going on, but going back and reading through it from the beginning it works out fine.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Oh Boxbot, you're so utterly awful :rolleyes:

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

The saddest update.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I can't help but feel that if Boxbot was to somehow manage to ride Robox we would have before us a uniquely average robot.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Laser Cow posted:

I can't help but feel that if Boxbot was to somehow manage to ride Robox we would have before us a uniquely average robot.

I cannot believe I remembered this image existed.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
This page makes Robox seem like a sociopath. He's still awesome, though.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

It's even more disturbing out of context!

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

I am the Naked King of Shoreditch, AND I AM NOT AFRAID!
Right, I also just consumed all of Gunnerkrigg over a couple of days, and it's sublimely brilliant, etc. etc.

One question - Tom's joking here, right? He doesn't really believe that UK state schools have fruity "10 points from Griffindor" set-ups does he? I mean, a tiny handful of comps* and grammars* do, and most public** schools do, but the average state school sure as hell doesn't. I mean, I went to what is basically the real-life version of Hogwarts (but with aggravated buggery in place of magic), and even I know this poo poo.

*Do not expect to know what the gently caress I'm talking about here if you're not British. You're better off not knowing.

**Case in point - a "public" school in the UK is what we call the private schools you have to pay through the nose for. Obviously!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Honestly I'm surprised there's no robot cult centered around Robox.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

hairysammoth posted:

Right, I also just consumed all of Gunnerkrigg over a couple of days, and it's sublimely brilliant, etc. etc.

One question - Tom's joking here, right? He doesn't really believe that UK state schools have fruity "10 points from Griffindor" set-ups does he? I mean, a tiny handful of comps* and grammars* do, and most public** schools do, but the average state school sure as hell doesn't. I mean, I went to what is basically the real-life version of Hogwarts (but with aggravated buggery in place of magic), and even I know this poo poo.

*Do not expect to know what the gently caress I'm talking about here if you're not British. You're better off not knowing.

**Case in point - a "public" school in the UK is what we call the private schools you have to pay through the nose for. Obviously!

Tom IS British, though, so I expect he knows. And it's fairly clear that Gunnerkrigg isn't a state school--hell, at this point we barely have any idea WHAT it is.

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

Redeye Flight posted:

Tom IS British, though, so I expect he knows. And it's fairly clear that Gunnerkrigg isn't a state school--hell, at this point we barely have any idea WHAT it is.

I know, that's what makes it so weird. He actually says: "All schools in the UK are like this as far as I know. I went to a normal ol' comprehensive (high school). It just so happens that Gunnerkrigg Court is a boardng school."

It's not what Gunnerkrigg is which confuses me - it's that Tom seems to think that all British schools are like this in real life (despite being British)!

Weird derail, it just struck me as very confusing - I was just wondering if you lot knew if it was some kind of weird in-joke or plot thing. Doesn't seem to be, though.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Yeah, exactly - it's common enough that it's something a lot of people come across, but it sure as hell doesn't happen in the average urban state school.

hairysammoth fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 29, 2011

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Both the schools I attended in Scotland had a variation on the system close enough for me to say gently caress it, close enough.

I didn't think it was universal though.

Yeah yeah big up Strathmore house.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Yeah, my school (just an ordinary school, not one of those fancy expensive boarding schools or anything) had us divided into four houses named after Scottish castles. There wasn't any points-scoring competition like in Harry Potter though, it was just for organising classes.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Well I didn't go to every school in the UK, but I did go to three different ones and they all worked the same. And everyone I've talked to had a similar structure in the shools they went to. I'd be interested in knowing which kinds of schools didn't organise their students into different groups.

I did find this Wikipedia article and it says:

"The house system is a traditional feature of British schools, and schools in ex-British colonies. Historically it was associated with established public schools, where a 'house' refers to a boarding house or dormitory of a boarding school. In the case of a day school, however, the word 'house' refers only to a grouping of pupils, rather than to a particular building. The house system has been common in the state sector for many years."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_system

I'm not sure how it could have been seen as a gag or in-joke, but I changed the wording from "all" to "many", and hopefully this is less offensive.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
For what it's worth, my (British) school was also split into houses, named after the surrounding villages. But you wouldn't have known unless you asked, there wasn't any kind of points system. Most students couldn't tell you what house they were in.

I think, if your school wasn't a completely new build, you were probably in a house. Even if you didn't know it.

e: Our classes were named after our registration teacher, though. So if your teacher was John Smith, you'd be in 7JS (or 8JS, 9JS, etc.) The houses only came into play on sports day, when each house was given a colour and their points were totaled to give an overall winner. Even then, we played under the banner of "yellow", not "Moorside".

Noonsaliwah fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 29, 2011

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

Tea-san posted:

Well I didn't go to every school in the UK, but I did go to three different ones and they all worked the same. And everyone I've talked to had a similar structure in the shools they went to. I'd be interested in knowing which kinds of schools didn't organise their students into different groups.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty universal too, right up to the point I moved to London. If I asked my nephew in his Hackney comp which "house" he was in he'd probably assume I was taking the piss.

I think it comes down to the age of the school - if it was founded in the 19th or pre-war 20th C, they've probably still got a house system, state or otherwise. Anything built more recently tends to divide up the students in other ways.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Tea-san posted:

I did find this Wikipedia article and it says:

"The house system is a traditional feature of British schools, and schools in ex-British colonies. Historically it was associated with established public schools, where a 'house' refers to a boarding house or dormitory of a boarding school. In the case of a day school, however, the word 'house' refers only to a grouping of pupils, rather than to a particular building. The house system has been common in the state sector for many years."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_system

I'm not sure how it could have been seen as a gag or in-joke, but I changed the wording from "all" to "many", and hopefully this is less offensive.

There's a typo on that page, too, in the last instance of 'boarding school' at the end.

I only remembered at this moment that we did actually have a house structure at my high school (in Scotland). It didn't affect anything except the occasional sports day and our class designations, as far as I remember, and I always assumed it was just a token effort to make the place look like less of a scumhole. :britain: Warriston house.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Don't know about Australian public (government) secondary schools, but public primary schools and private schools of any level use a house system too. That said, we don't divvy classes by them. They're mostly just used for things like sport and stuff.

I would imagine house systems are a lot more prominent in any boarding school, though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 29, 2011

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
You monster how could you be so mean to boxbot :(

always keepin' the box robots down

e: oh man that Robox/Boxbot combo image is hilarious. I want to see this happen in the comic. Bonus points for a proper Transformers transform-noise onomatopoeia, though I have no idea how you'd do that.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 29, 2011

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Psion posted:

Bonus points for a proper Transformers transform-noise onomatopoeia, though I have no idea how you'd do that.

"Keek koo cha chee craw."

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm still laughing at "Yes."
hahahaha
I'll be doing something completely unrelated and then

"Yes."
hahahahahahaa

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Is it just me misremembering or do many chapters seem to inevitably start on fridays?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Is it just me misremembering or do many chapters seem to inevitably start on fridays?

About 1/3...

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

hairysammoth posted:

Yeah, I thought it was pretty universal too, right up to the point I moved to London. If I asked my nephew in his Hackney comp which "house" he was in he'd probably assume I was taking the piss.

I think it comes down to the age of the school - if it was founded in the 19th or pre-war 20th C, they've probably still got a house system, state or otherwise. Anything built more recently tends to divide up the students in other ways.

I went to a comp in Wales I think founded in the late 70's and we had houses which got points for sports days and eisteddfodau, though I think outside of those sort of big events it didn't really matter that much.

Similar set up to Tom's as well, 8 forms with 2 forms in each house.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

But I like robots. :(

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Pester posted:

Exactly my thought. :(

Bats Everywhere
Dec 25, 2010

My Little Pony
I used to wonder
What this shit could be
My Little Pony
Until you all shared
Its magic with me

Pester posted:

Well, most of them anyway.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Bats Everywhere posted:

Well, most of them anyway.

Yes.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Tom just twooted this:

http://www.bookoftheyearawards.com/winners/2010/category/graphic-novel/

:toot:

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

That's kinda big, isn't it?

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Funkz posted:

That's kinda big, isn't it?

On one hand, it's an award for Gunnerkrigg, and that's awesome. On the other hand, I personally have never heard of the BOTYA, so... eh.

Not to diminish Tom's accomplishment, mind you! It's still awesome news. Gunnerkrigg is really deserving of way more awards and recognition that it gets.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

It shoulda got the gold :colbert:

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

hairysammoth posted:

Tom has said that the houses in Gunnerkrigg are named after the ones in the school he went to, I believe.

DontMockMySmock posted:

This page makes Robox seem like a sociopath. He's still awesome, though.

He can't help, he has no arms :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

It shoulda got the gold :colbert:

Agreed.