Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

waffleking posted:

Hey dudes, can I join your Jeep club? I just got my first Jeep two weeks ago and it is awesome! It's a
'97 TJ 2.5L with a 4" rough country lift and 33" Mud Claws. I had to do a little maintenance on it when I first got it but it's doing good now. It needed a new power steering pump and distributor.

Welcome! How does that 4 banger do with the 33"s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffleking
Jul 13, 2005
It doesn't do too bad, I don't get to use 5th very often, but I think with a re-gear it would be fantastic. I'm trying to hold off on that until I can afford an axle swap.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Cops actually found my Jeep. Sans $1200 tires of course :argh:, not counting the wheels :kratos:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

BoostCreep posted:

Welcome! How does that 4 banger do with the 33"s?

Every time I hear about a 4-banger with a trail setup, I just imagine an engine upgrade in the future.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Faerunner posted:

But... the problem is a coolant leak, how would a vacuum leak have anything to do with that?

I'd check the upper radiator hose for a hole.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Put the top up (minus windows) for the first time this year.

I'm weak.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

Boomerjinks posted:

I'm weak.

I really should get a family bar in my YJ. If it weren't for just having a bikini for the front seats, I'd go topless whole year round. I'm telling you, having people ride in the back in the beautiful Costa Rican rain is not so fun. Have had them use umbrellas in several occasions, but having one fly out and almost cause an accident probably was an indicator that this is not a good idea.

Edit: for me, family bar=front/back bikini top

Steiler Drep fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 1, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

commissargribb posted:

Every time I hear about a 4-banger with a trail setup, I just imagine an engine upgrade in the future.
I once had a Suzuki (in low first) that I stalled on a hillclimb just roll backwards with worrying ease, engine compression and direction of rotation be damned.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Boomerjinks posted:

I'm weak.

I burn easily so I normally run top up and no doors/windows the whole summer except for the exceptional day that it's too hot for the top. I get plenty of air and it's less damaging on my skin.

Then again, I know there are people with soft top jeeps that drive them all summer without EVER taking the top or doors off. Those people need to have their jeep cards removed.

InitialDave posted:

I once had a Suzuki (in low first) that I stalled on a hillclimb just roll backwards with worrying ease, engine compression and direction of rotation be damned.

I loved my dad's sidekick. I swear that thing went everywhere. I would buy another one if I saw a deal.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008
Local bodyshop guy has a 79 jeep CJ with the 304 in it, with a bunch of edelbrock parts and its been completely repainted and all. Why did i have to find out about this after i bought my XJ :(

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Is there such as thing as warranty transfer or "certified" when it comes to the newer used jeeps? I think I determined on the website your SOL if your the second owner, but I can't seem to find if any dealers (or jeep) offers a warranty on the used products directly.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Untagged posted:

Is there such as thing as warranty transfer or "certified" when it comes to the newer used jeeps? I think I determined on the website your SOL if your the second owner, but I can't seem to find if any dealers (or jeep) offers a warranty on the used products directly.
the factory warranty is tied only to the vehicle, not to the owner.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Untagged posted:

Most jeeps dont begin really being cared for until the 3rd or 4th owner ;)

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Untagged posted:

Depends on the year. If it had the lifetime warranty, zero zilch nada (except the Federal Emissions Warranty) transfers to subsequent owners. If it had a regular warranty and was sold pre-lifetime, that transfers for a fee. If it has the 3/36 from post-lifetime, that transfers for $0. If it's Certified Pre-Owned, you're the owner of that warranty, plus the balance of any original factory warranty, and it's transferable to subsequent owners, and the CPO buyer can extend it to lifetime.

Chrysler will let you put a Chrysler extended warranty on anything that's under 4/48 from its in-service date. (For things like dealer demo or lease vehicles, that can be the date of delivery—for safety, assume the build date on the door/jamb is the in-service date unless they can show you a Chrysler VIP Report that says otherwise.) No inspections. Pick your plan, pay a Chrysler dealer or Chrysler, and off you go. Extended warranties are also transferable to subsequent owners for $50(?) or so.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 1, 2011

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Just tried to fold my windshield down today. The windshield came done, but the hinges did not move. :ohdear:

Buying a new set right now just in case, $64, gently caress me!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Been there, done that: "Boy, these hinges are stiff!" *snap*

Only the PS broke, so it's being held in place by the DS & the rollbars because :effort:

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Thanks guys. I've been looking at the 2008-2010 range and I couldn't figure out the deal with warranties or transfers of said warranties if it was possible or not to subsequent owners.

Additionally, I've only seen ONE "Certified Pre" vehicle at a dealer.

Omg50BMG
Feb 9, 2008

Untagged posted:

Thanks guys. I've been looking at the 2008-2010 range and I couldn't figure out the deal with warranties or transfers of said warranties if it was possible or not to subsequent owners.

Additionally, I've only seen ONE "Certified Pre" vehicle at a dealer.

I'd seriously wait until the 2012 or get a TJ if i was you. The 3.8 in the JK is a gutless wonder. They also had problems with soft metal front covers, but i believe that was fixed in 08. Never seen oil actually leak through a metal before until i had a 07 JK. If you're ever going to take the doors off dont get power windows, makes them pretty heavy.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

The two E12 torx bits on the top of the 4.0 bell-housing can suck my dick.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Boomerjinks posted:

Just tried to fold my windshield down today. The windshield came done, but the hinges did not move. :ohdear:

Buying a new set right now just in case, $64, gently caress me!

shop around. I got a pair for much cheaper on ebay. stainless too.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Slow is Fast posted:

How'd you manage to break an I6?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Sponge! posted:

How'd you manage to break an I6?

The head cracked. There was play in the piston/rings and the walls had no more hone. So short block is getting rebuilt and I'm buying a reman cylinder head. I could have slapped it all back together with a new head and gaskets and called it a day, but I have a crazy obsession with "doing things right" after watching my father half rear end his way through projects over the years.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I got lucky I guess. The bottom end on mine was still tight when my head cracked. Good luck locating a head though, lots of 2000-2001 heads are junk and there's not many of later years left around it seems. No, you can't use older heads either :(

EightBit fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jul 4, 2011

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

EightBit posted:

I got lucky I guess. The bottom end on mine was still tight when my head cracked. Good luck locating a head though, lots of 2000-2001 heads are junk and there's not many of later years left around it seems. No, you can't use older heads either :(

Mines a 1999 with 0630 heads, not the 0331's. The thing is, no one can give me an exact consensus on what year/casing number head I should look for. I want to just order a cylinder head and have it be the right one rather than gently caress around in junkyards then bringing junkyard heads to be checked for cracks at the machine shop.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Slow is Fast posted:

Mines a 1999 with 0630 heads, not the 0331's. The thing is, no one can give me an exact consensus on what year/casing number head I should look for. I want to just order a cylinder head and have it be the right one rather than gently caress around in junkyards then bringing junkyard heads to be checked for cracks at the machine shop.

I think I got this link from this thread, but I'll repost it in hopes that it is useful, again.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/2182/not_those_jeeps_again_the_facts_about_40l_cylinder_heads.aspx

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

EightBit posted:

I think I got this link from this thread, but I'll repost it in hopes that it is useful, again.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/2182/not_those_jeeps_again_the_facts_about_40l_cylinder_heads.aspx

Seems like from that article any 0630 will work. Some of the other messageboard poo poo I read mentioned some of them have different intake/exhaust sizes on the same casting, so I wasn't sure. I'll probably just call Odessa and ask them.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

Slow is Fast posted:

Seems like from that article any 0630 will work. Some of the other messageboard poo poo I read mentioned some of them have different intake/exhaust sizes on the same casting, so I wasn't sure. I'll probably just call Odessa and ask them.

Would something like this help you? Several people I know bought them for their jeeps.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Omg50BMG posted:

... The 3.8 in the JK is a gutless wonder. ...

If you're ever going to take the doors off dont get power windows, makes them pretty heavy.

Correction, the 3.8 is fine if you get a Rubicon. I've NEVER been in my Rubi and thought to myself, wow this thing is slow and gutless. Just got back from a 1200 mile trip around Hells Canyon and had no trouble doing 80 up the mountain passes in a headwind with the top down. So don't believe all the "3.8 is a worthless piece of poo poo" hype. People are just mad and wondering why Jeep did away with the awesomeness of the 4.0L

Also, re: power windows - the weight of the doors is a paltry payoff for the comfort and convenience of my power windows. They're not THAT heavy!

Also, also:

This is at the base of McGraw lookout a few miles down a dirt road from the tourist ridden Hells Canyon Overlook. Notice the lack of other people? It was rad.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Braincloud posted:

Also, re: power windows - the weight of the doors is a paltry payoff for the comfort and convenience of my power windows. They're not THAT heavy!
Regular roll-up doors are too heavy for me. I ditch My roll-ups after the snow melts and put them back on in November. During warmer months, I substitute full fabric doors which are light as hell.

Braincloud posted:

Also, also:

If your doors are so easy to take off why are they on in this photo? :colbert:

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

commissargribb posted:

If your doors are so easy to take off why are they on in this photo? :colbert:

Ha ha ha, because I was 600 miles away from home. If I'da had someplace local to leave them, they would have been off. But, to alleviate your disdain, I got home yesterday and they're sitting in my apartment right now. :D

VVV... You're tellin' me! I get the funniest looks from my neighbors when I cart the doors or my back seat up the elevator!

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 5, 2011

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Braincloud posted:

Ha ha ha, because I was 600 miles away from home. If I'da had someplace local to leave them, they would have been off. But, to alleviate your disdain, I got home yesterday and they're sitting in my apartment right now. :D

I cannot wait until I have a garage all to myself. I am going to buy every single piece of "jeep part storage" equipment that quadratec sells!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I've got a quick question: I just went to meet my insurance adjuster to look at the Jeep, and its being stored sitting on the brake discs/drums. How pissed should I be?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

EightBit posted:

I've got a quick question: I just went to meet my insurance adjuster to look at the Jeep, and its being stored sitting on the brake discs/drums. How pissed should I be?

Very.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

EightBit posted:

Yeah, that sounds pretty bad. I just hope it was craned, not dragged, onto the flatbed and then off it, into its current abode.

Of course, if they found it like that by the side of the road, then maybe they figured the damage was already done. Still seems pretty unprofessional to store it like that if it's not yet been officially declared FUBAR.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Braincloud posted:

This is the other reason I have the fabric doors. I keep them bicycle chained to the roll bar and they stay in the back seat pretty much everywhere I go (the exception is when I'm using the wrangler to work on the yard and need to fill the bed). This means I can go from top down and no doors to completely covered in a few minutes if I'm in town and a storm breaks out. I used to throw the roll-ups in the back but they were huge.

Boomerjinks posted:

I cannot wait until I have a garage all to myself. I am going to buy every single piece of "jeep part storage" equipment that quadratec sells!

I would absolutely buy one of their hard top storage rigs if I planned on keeping my hard top. Also maybe a bag to fit my 2 soft doors.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Braincloud posted:

Correction, the 3.8 is fine if you get a Rubicon. I've NEVER been in my Rubi and thought to myself, wow this thing is slow and gutless. Just got back from a 1200 mile trip around Hells Canyon and had no trouble doing 80 up the mountain passes in a headwind with the top down. So don't believe all the "3.8 is a worthless piece of poo poo" hype. People are just mad and wondering why Jeep did away with the awesomeness of the 4.0L

Also, also:

This is at the base of McGraw lookout a few miles down a dirt road from the tourist ridden Hells Canyon Overlook. Notice the lack of other people? It was rad.

Hell's Canyon is awesome--I went out last year and really enjoyed the views.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 6, 2011

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Sure as hell hope it doesn't rain today.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Boomerjinks posted:

Sure as hell hope it doesn't rain today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

EightBit posted:

I'd raise holy hell, that's a whole lot of bullshit.