Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spirit Armor
Jul 11, 2007

Love, Justice, and Mid-Season Upgrades Steam-Powered Robots.
Glad to be back. I'd... rather not make any predictions as to when the next update will be; I'm in law school (which basically means I'm getting my soul destroyed bit by bit AND I don't have as much free time as I used to) and it's getting close to final seasons (which means that the professors will get to pry out our still-beating hearts while chortling at how horribly students answered their exams).

... I WILL note that very soon, I'll be able to say "why, back in MY day, we had this thing that you youngsters haven't heard of before! Waffleimages! Why, it was the grand pillar that held up our screenshot LPs! None of these newfangled fancy-pants 'right-loaders' or 'el-picks' or 'ima-gurrs' that you little scamps run around with these days..."

Roar posted:

That guy...was pretty weak, yeah. Is he supposed to be weak or are you just overleveled or something? It's been so long since I first read this thread that I forgot how battle stats and mechanics worked.

... actually, I've left this game on the hardest difficulty setting for quite a while. I don't think it's me being overleveled (which is impossible- the only gauges of strength are 1) plot-related (i.e. NEW MECHS YAY) and 2) relationship level).

I... think it's just because I abuse status effects like WHOA. And you've seen how ridiculous the status effects are (like how poison completely shuts down how much the boss can do, how attack-down reduces damage massively, etc). On my first playthrough, I got DESTROYED by Tenkai because I didn't use status effects at all.

Everyone who got put on probation posted:

PROBATION'D

Mecha and Demons: Getting People Suspended Since 2007.

Semiru posted:

I realise the shooting thing is a bit of a non-choice here, but does it have any implications down the line?

If I remember correctly, NOT AT ALL.

Glazius posted:

Also is this really the first battle where you can have dynamic taunting?

There was one in the last battle with Porky Inoshishi, but I don't think I really pointed it out at the time.

... or he died too quickly. Keep in mind that this is a distinct possibility.

Spirit Armor fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

My condolences on your law school tenure. I suffered through that horror a couple of years ago. I wouldn't wish it on any man.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Should've gone into journalism. Sure, you won't be able to get a job, maybe settle for something completely out of your league, and finally land yourself in an anime magazine, but at least you'd be able to finish your LPs! :v:

:smith:

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Does your relationship with Ayame have any effect on the game now she's turned evil? and considering the last line of the update, is there a way to have that entire sequence go differently?

Oh, and welcome back, I thought you were dead.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Spirit Armor posted:

Mecha and Demons: Getting People Suspended Since 2007.

Mecha and Demons: Love, Justice and Mid-Season upgrades probates

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Spirit Armor posted:

I'm in law school (which basically means I'm getting my soul destroyed bit by bit AND I don't have as much free time as I used to) and it's getting close to final seasons (which means that the professors will get to pry out our still-beating hearts while chortling at how horribly students answered their exams).

Well thats is a good reason for that long delayed, good luck on that and how long you got left?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
You know what they say. The first year they scare you to death, the second year they work you to death, and the third year they bore you to death.

And when you get out, you get to become this; http://thenambypamby.blogspot.com/

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I wonder if the previous generations being able to take on Kouma with nothing but katanas have anything to do with them not being human in the first place.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Camel Pimp posted:

Wait, why is she evil now?

It looks like she was actually a demon all along, but repressed in human form with no idea what she was. And the demon form was awakened by the power of demon kisses the red moon a bullet to the face.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

SirSamVimes posted:

It looks like she was actually a demon all along, but repressed in human form with no idea what she was. And the demon form was awakened by the power of demon kisses the red moon a bullet to the face.
I would say they were originally human, but then Satan is supposedly literally the actual Devil, so I don't even loving know...

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

SirSamVimes posted:

Given the hints Ayame kept dropping (not to mention the whole "JUST SHOOT ME" thing), I think she DID know what the deal was and was trying to hold it back.

I dunno, wild guess here, maybe when they went down and killed the Demon Court they took the place of the originals or something?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Or vampire like 'was bitten, cursed, ingested devil mud' which reactivates when more hell things come up.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

JamMasterJim posted:

Or vampire like 'was bitten, cursed, ingested devil mud' which reactivates when more hell things come up.

Devil Mud? :raise:
I'm not sure I'm familiar with that term. Should I be feeling :gonk: or :pervert:

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
Hey Spirit Armor, I've been trying to catch up with the thread since late last year.

Great LP btw, I was a big fan of SW all the way until SW5. I just didn't see the reason to continue with the series after 4 when I know the characters I came to like isn't going to come back in any significant form.
Wish I discovered this LP earlier.

Also made me try and track down the PS2 version of the game you're LP-ing, though considering that it was released as far back as 2003, it's not looking good. Didn't even realize it existed until I found this thread.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Stumbling Block posted:

Hey Spirit Armor, I've been trying to catch up with the thread since late last year.

Great LP btw, I was a big fan of SW all the way until SW5. I just didn't see the reason to continue with the series after 4 when I know the characters I came to like isn't going to come back in any significant form.
Wish I discovered this LP earlier.

Also made me try and track down the PS2 version of the game you're LP-ing, though considering that it was released as far back as 2003, it's not looking good. Didn't even realize it existed until I found this thread.
SW5 was awesome :colbert:

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

U.T. Raptor posted:

SW5 was awesome :colbert:

If you say so. Won't argue about it since I never played it, however by that time when it finally came out it had quite a few things going against it in my own personal opinion.

One: it was on the PS2. I never own a PS until recently and that was only because I needed a BD player and Valkyria Chronicles(of which the subsequent sequels causes a whole new different series of rage.... frigging psp).

Two: Fujishima's designs were getting to be a mixture of a bit of an old hat as well as looking increasingly weird. Not to mention soulless. Is it any wonder that the SW manga which is drawn by a totally different artist using his designs looks tons better than anything Fujishima is currently working on. *Cough*ah!mygoddessmanga*cough*

Three: I really wanted to continue following the characters established from the previous series. You might argue that ST3 moved away from the Tokyo team but you are still playing Ogami, so there was a strong link. Something I think is very lacking in ST5 from what I read. I had a lot invested in the continuation and link, being cut from that doesn't feel right with me.

Four: How many years did it take before they finally released a localized version of the game in the West again? After all the false starts and red herrings about the game was coming that I just plain gave up after awhile. I put off getting a PS2 because of that, otherwise if I knew it was going to take so long I would have picked up the Japanese version of the game immediately.

As it is, well... they screwed ST5 all up for me.
Wish it weren't so, but yeah...

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Well, some things that may kinda rekindle your interest:

1) Available on Wii as well(though with English Dub only). Not a very demanding game, so you could but the disc and run it on an EMU on your PC.

2) The overall design of characters is clean and sharp(whether you like the characters themselves is different). Also, the 3D models when you wander around are decent, so it doesn ot feel like a too awkward a transition between modes.

3) While I also liked the ongoing cast adventures, SW4 became overloaded with all these characters. The actual content and events were very small, and you only had the varied responses depending on girls you chose. If it kept going keeping the same cast, it would just not work. Also, Shinjiro can really give the good old Ogami vibe at certain moments

4) Yeah, that is the hardest to deal with. Only suggestion I can make, if you ever replay SW 1-4 again due to it being awesome, nostalgia or whatnot, just keep going to SW5.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
It's always nice to see a viewpoint of someone who followed the series as it was released, since probably a lot of newer fans of the series (including me) did it backwards after 5 was released in English.

I loved 5, but I'm going through 2 now and I'm really liking it. Would probably say more than 5 if it was in English.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I'm actually playing SW5 right now, and I have to say; I'm not sure how you got an even less plausible protagonist than Ogami, but they did it. I showed my mother the box art and she couldn't tell who the (male) protagonist is supposed to be.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

JamMasterJim posted:

Well, some things that may kinda rekindle your interest:

1)& 4) If I ever get a chance, I might give SW5 a chance. As it is it's too much of an :effort: and I couldn't be bothered at the moment. Largely due to the lingering bad blood I've attached to the game after waiting in vain for so long.
I'm more likely to break out my Saturn or DC to play the first 4 all over again at the moment, thanks to this thread.

3) They don't necessarily need to put Ogami in ST5 really, they could have just get someone, anyone, from either the Paris or Tokyo team temporary attached to the NY team, as a mere advisor or something, for the duration of the game would have worked fine to serve as some sort of a link for the fans. Personally as it is, ST5 seems like it's trying to merely pay lip service to the games before it. That perception just isn't going to cut it for the die hard fans.
It wouldn't have affected me that much, sure it'd have bummed me out but I would have played it anyway since it is made by the old ST production team. (Emphasis on the word :would:, thank you crappy western marketing decisions. You had your chance and you blew it. People have moved on by the time they finally decided to finally bring it over)

And ST4 is as overloaded as it is due to necessity. They had to put a conclusion to Ogami and the two team's story since it has always been an ensemble story. With Sumire's VA retiring, it was never going to work in anyway without her.

KariOhki posted:

It's always nice to see a viewpoint of someone who followed the series as it was released, since probably a lot of newer fans of the series (including me) did it backwards after 5 was released in English.

I loved 5, but I'm going through 2 now and I'm really liking it. Would probably say more than 5 if it was in English.

I think you'd find fans of the series from all the way back still hold this game fondly in their hearts. The cafe in Tokyo operated for as long as it did for a reason.
As an aside, while they were still open, there really weren't that many ST5 merchandise available in their store. Sure they had them but they were overwhelmed by the 1-4 series merchandise. The ST game development team tried but I think this showed that the fans by and large weren't all that keen with a new series with a new casts, quickly ushering the end of the series as a whole.

Pity... It was great while it lasted.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Stumbling Block posted:

(Emphasis on the word :would:, thank you crappy western marketing decisions. You had your chance and you blew it. People have moved on by the time they finally decided to finally bring it over)
That's not their fault, people have been trying to localize Sakura Wars games for years but it always fell through before...

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

U.T. Raptor posted:

That's not their fault, people have been trying to localize Sakura Wars games for years but it always fell through before...

I know Working Designs was interested in the series back in the day, but there was that whole thing with Bernie Stolar not liking Japanese/2D games. I also heard that someone tried to get the PSP port of 1 and 2 localized, but Sony wouldn't let them since it wasn't enough of a game or something. Except that Disgaea Infinite is even less of a "game" and it got localized...

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just a small request- can we try to put a hold on emoticon usage here? I can't help but mouse over every single one =gonk=

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

Just a small request- can we try to put a hold on emoticon usage here? I can't help but mouse over every single one =gonk=

Gosh, I wonder how that happened :smug:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So, is the game almost over or what? Because eventually Spirit Armor's gonna procrastinate so hard it's gonna manifest in his gallblader and explode. Then he'll turn into a demon or something.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

U.T. Raptor posted:

KariOhki posted:

I know Working Designs was interested in the series back in the day, but there was that whole thing with Bernie Stolar not liking Japanese/2D games. I also heard that someone tried to get the PSP port of 1 and 2 localized, but Sony wouldn't let them since it wasn't enough of a game or something. Except that Disgaea Infinite is even less of a "game" and it got localized...

Ok, I'll be fair about it. The fact is that both companies at either side of the Pacific didn't make things easy or each other regarding this game. The Western companies with their constant cold feet, and Sega, well from what I've known about them, they rather not have to deal with the western markets and audiences regarding their Japanese properties if they can help it even if it will eventually make them money in end. They pretty much ended up blocking each other over the years as a result.

alcharagia posted:

So, is the game almost over or what? Because eventually Spirit Armor's gonna procrastinate so hard it's gonna manifest in his gallblader and explode. Then he'll turn into a demon or something.

I'm not sure as I'm still catching up, all the way back in page 80, but from the last update I saw, I think there's at least one or two more episodes to go.

SmithKurosaki
Apr 15, 2009

Of course I'm not scum, if I were scum I would be fucking glaring. Christ.
Huzzah! The thread lives! Very nice update :) I definetely saw her turning (back) into a demon chick this update, and I'm going to go with the 'accident happened back in the day that left her possesed by a demon she somehow managed to surpress' theory for how she ended up the way she did. (I've never played any of the games, but I spoilered it anyways to be polite)
With legal professions, I warn you: don't do what Dan Dargon (I think that's his name) did in NH. He's getting his pants sued off for illegally messing with mortgages somehow related to lawyer duties.

TheGreenAvenger
Jun 23, 2005

I killed Chin the Conqueror.
As far as Visual Novel type games go, games with a lot of text, it costs a lot to get them translated and they don't usually sell very well. So they have trouble making the pitch seem worthwhile to the people in charge of figuring out whether a particular game is worth it.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
How goes law school, Spirit Armour? Dare I hope for an update or are we done? :ohdear:

The_Great_Danish
Mar 26, 2010
Stop trying to rush him. It's only been 2 months since the last update! :v:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Oi, Spirit Armour.

It's my birthday today, and I have rum.

...that wasn't a very effective threat, was it? Um. I also have gin.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
He'll post when he posts. If he can come back after six months, he can come back after two.

PantsTheReaper
Aug 17, 2010
Dammit people, I thought there was an update! :argh:

Seriously though, I can wait for Spirit Armor.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Hopfully he'll be back soon since School is over for the summer, unless Law School has a longer school year.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

PantsTheReaper posted:

Dammit people, I thought there was an update! :argh:

Seriously though, I can wait for Spirit Armor.

You have much to learn about rehosting images so the links don't break, grasshopper.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

Hopfully he'll be back soon since School is over for the summer, unless Law School has a longer school year.

Law school has summer internships/classes/studying for the bar if you just graduated.

PantsTheReaper
Aug 17, 2010

Canuck-Errant posted:

You have much to learn about rehosting images so the links don't break, grasshopper.

Huh. It isn't broken for me. But no matter! Teach me your techniques, oh great one!

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
It's the direct referral. None of us have that site cached so that's why it shows on yours and not ours.

PantsTheReaper
Aug 17, 2010
Weird, that's the way I've always linked in emotes. Unless that's not it. I'm not very well informed on things like linking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

PantsTheReaper posted:

Weird, that's the way I've always linked in emotes. Unless that's not it. I'm not very well informed on things like linking.

Long story short, many websites will prevent you from accessing images from anywhere except the site they came from in order to prevent image leeching. That's the issue here.

• Locked thread