Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

genesplicer posted:

I like all the old stuff, like Full Throttle. I wish they were playable on my current system.

Dosbox and a SCUMM emulator should work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrWhom
Jul 16, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

The DLC was probably the only good part of it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=szqAETxOzYs

What kind of a sick bastard wants to play a game where you force Han to kill Chewie? :(

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

DrWhom posted:

What kind of a sick bastard wants to play a game where you force Han to kill Chewie? :(

Er, a Sith, who are supposed to be the most evil villains in the universe?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Really, it just shows that Starkiller is a terrible Sith (and that Han is a terrible shot). The Emperor could have made Han want to kill Chewie.

Youtube commenters at their best in that video.

quote:

A BITCH BEING A JEDI??? AHHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHA

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

Mister Roboto posted:

Er, a Sith, who are supposed to be the most evil villains in the universe?

Are you saying that only maladjusted sociopaths who have a knack for losing would want to play the force unleashed? :colbert:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

genesplicer posted:

I like all the old stuff, like Full Throttle. I wish they were playable on my current system.

I dont get it. A couple years back Lucasarts was being awesome and released some of their old point-n-clicks on steam, and even made special editions of the first two Monkey Islands. What happened since then and why the hell cant they finish the job and give us Full Throttle, Sam and Max, and Day of the Tentacle?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

DrWhom posted:

Wait hang on, did those games go off a wild tangent to replace what happened in the films or something?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Flipswitch posted:

Wait hang on, did those games go off a wild tangent to replace what happened in the films or something?

Yeah, and quite frankly it was the most interesting EU thing to happen in years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

The Dark Side endings and the DLC did.

Aciid c0d3r
Jun 21, 2008
"Shouldn't you be out mowing the lawn, or spending time with your wife?"
\
:backtowork:
I have an original version of full throttle on my windows 7 pc, and it plays fine in compatibility mode. I play it with windows me emulation with no problems (so far.)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Gutcruncher posted:

I dont get it. A couple years back Lucasarts was being awesome and released some of their old point-n-clicks on steam, and even made special editions of the first two Monkey Islands. What happened since then and why the hell cant they finish the job and give us Full Throttle, Sam and Max, and Day of the Tentacle?

They're already talkies, so just updating the graphics is probably not as worth it for a special edition release.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

arioch posted:

They're already talkies, so just updating the graphics is probably not as worth it for a special edition release.

I mean just re-releasing them. They made The Dig, Loom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and The Fate of Atlantis work on modern systems with no fiddling around, and I was really hoping they would do it to their other games.

Edit: Monkey Island 3 already had voices and looked awesome, Im definitely surprised they didnt rerelease that alongside MI2 or something.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Teen goon here, watching Star Wars (the original series, natch) for the first time ever.. any good scenes I should look out for? Im on "Return of the Jedi" right now and so far it sucks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

HATE MONDAYS posted:

Teen goon here, watching Star Wars (the original series, natch) for the first time ever.. any good scenes I should look out for? Im on "Return of the Jedi" right now and so far it sucks.

ROTJ is the best movie of all of them. If you think it sucks you should probably stop watching and caring about SW.

VVVVVV gently caress I got confused for some reason. Disregard. I am going to watch Episode 2 in penance. ESB is the best yeah.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 4, 2011

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

euphronius posted:

ROTJ is the best movie of all of them. If you think it sucks you should probably stop watching and caring about SW.

You mean Empire.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Having listened to the radio drama more, here are some more random observations/thoughts:

-When Owen decides he needs to buy droids from the Jawas, he sends up a signal flare to let any sandcrawlers in the area know he wants to do business. I always figured the Jawas had a set trade route circuit with all the moisture farmers in the area

-There's an extended scene near the start dealing with Leia getting the DS plans in the time leading up to her coming under attack at the start of the movie. I remember this being a story arc in the Empire comic series, I never realized they just adapted it from the radio drama. Also, Bail Organa with a Southern accent is definitely hard to swallow. Obi-Wan also has a bit of a Scottish accent, on the subject.

-Leia's interrogation by Vader is more subtle than I expected given the sinister look of the interrogation droid - she basically gets injected with a drug that makes her very suggestible to visualizations. Vader first tries to convince her he's a Rebel sympathizer, then at one point that he's her father (haha), then when that doesn't work, he tells her how she's on fire, that her heart is going to stop, and that she's about to die. Her reactions were actually a bit disturbing, I thought. The same with her reaction to Alderaan being destroyed - a lot more realistic than Carrie Fisher's reaction in the movie.

-The deleted scene with the human Jabba confronting Han is included, but here instead of being Jabba he's called "Heater". I wonder if this was done due to Lucas already deciding by this point that Jabba was going to be a giant slug in ROTJ. Also in this scene are a few references to the Han Solo novel trilogy, which makes sense given that Brian Daley wrote both those books and the script for the radio drama. I think this must make the radio drama the first "EU" work to tie in with another "EU" work (even though this is technically before the concept of the EU existed).

-At one point, Obi-Wan tells Luke that there are still other Jedi still alive elsewhere in the galaxy. I guess that preemptively gives shielding to the several hundred Jedi who escaped later in the EU.

-During Chewie's holochess game in the Falcon, Han tells him "It's a trap!" I guess his ability to anticipate future memes must confirm that Han is a Force-sensitive with the ability to tap into a latent Force precognition power.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FyUhhYZe3Y&feature=related

Ever notice how short and how little we saw of the Maul vs. Qui-Gon fight here? It's less than 10 seconds and has almost no details.

I assume it was to build anticipation for the end fight.

Also, Darth Vader was almost killed by Darth Maul's motorbike.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

HATE MONDAYS posted:

Have you seen the prequels? What did you think of the very last scene in Jedi?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Mister Roboto posted:

Ever notice how short and how little we saw of the Maul vs. Qui-Gon fight here? It's less than 10 seconds and has almost no details.

The part I didn't like with the Maul vs Qui-Gon fight was that yes, it was short and that there was too far of a space between that and their next saber fight. Look at Empire Strikes Back when Luke confronts Vader, theres a buildup within a reasonable period of time where you can feel something big is coming along because Vader is much more experienced and powerful while Luke is fighting his rear end off just to be even.

You'd figure Obi-Wan would see another saber and be like "oh poo poo what" and hes more like "eh, fly over there wot wot".

In short the whole loving movie is devoid of any emotion and urgency or even danger.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

Still can't believe that Peter Serafinowicz is the voice of Darth Maul, even if it is only three sentences of dialogue.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That video reminds me of something else I hated from the Prequel Trilogy, the retarded looking Padawan haircut.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Having a rat-tail outside of an 80's trailerpark would cut down on girls talking to you. Probably for the "no attachments" thing.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
My local comic store had a visit from the 501st to celebrate their ten year anniversary. I got apprehended by Darth Vader because I had a Rebel patch on my bag :haw:

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Chairman Capone posted:

-Leia's interrogation by Vader is more subtle than I expected given the sinister look of the interrogation droid - she basically gets injected with a drug that makes her very suggestible to visualizations. Vader first tries to convince her he's a Rebel sympathizer, then at one point that he's her father (haha),

That's pretty clever. Did that come out after the second movie?

Also sorry if you've been over this before but could someone clarify why people keep producing and consuming tons of lovely new Star Wars stuff. There's three pretty fun movies, a couple of good computer games, and more irredeemable garbage than a person could process in all their free time for the rest of their loving life. Is it just like "I like this thing, can I please have a ton more of it, up to & past the point where it starts to physically disgust me"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

swamp waste posted:

Also sorry if you've been over this before but could someone clarify why people keep producing and consuming tons of lovely new Star Wars stuff. There's three pretty fun movies, a couple of good computer games, and more irredeemable garbage than a person could process in all their free time for the rest of their loving life. Is it just like "I like this thing, can I please have a ton more of it, up to & past the point where it starts to physically disgust me"

Where does the Holiday Special stand?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

swamp waste posted:

I believe it came out in between ESB and ROTJ, although who knows how long beforehand it was written. I assume Lucas had at least some ideas for ROTJ by the time the audio was written given the change to the Jabba deleted scene, but then again who knows how far in advance he decided that Luke and Leia were siblings.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

swamp waste posted:

Some of it isn't too bad. Though we seem to get the terrible stuff pretty common place. Quality control and Star Wars EU are terms not used much together.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
The radio drama is all on youtube if anyone is curious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9SkY3-MXhU I'm really loving it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Are these the same radio dramas where "Empire" starts out completely differently, wherein a convoy en route to Hoth base gets slaughtered by Imperials? I rented that one from the library and played it on my cassette deck endlessly when I was a kid. I think they were called Renegade squadron.

edit: Holy poo poo it is. Wookieepedia tells me that the predictable endless EU fuckery retconned them to something called Renegade Flight but drat that's cool.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 5, 2011

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Hazo posted:

Are these the same radio dramas where "Empire" starts out completely differently, wherein a convoy en route to Hoth base gets slaughtered by Imperials? I rented that one from the library and played it on my cassette deck endlessly when I was a kid. I think they were called Renegade squadron.

edit: Holy poo poo it is. Wookieepedia tells me that the predictable endless EU fuckery retconned them to something called Renegade Flight but drat that's cool.

Yep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6RqkbWSiyg

If you like those then A Canticle for Leibowitz is another great radio drama.

http://www.archive.org/details/ACanticleForLiebowitz

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hazo posted:

The Rogue Squadron comics showed that battle from the Empire's perspective. The Imperial forces were led by Thrawn and Baron Fel, so I'd say it's not too bad of fuckery, all EU things considered.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mister Roboto posted:

Jesus Christ kid Anakin is in this for all of five seconds and is still annoying as hell. They don't even know that they are being chased, are still kind of in a hurry, and then "Qui Gon Sir I'm tired :saddowns:"

And then when they cut to the people in the ship, Amidala and the captain walk into the cockpit to proclaim that Qui Gon is in trouble in the least urgent manner possible. Yeah, we might better take off if he's in trouble, sure why not?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

Jesus Christ kid Anakin is in this for all of five seconds and is still annoying as hell. They don't even know that they are being chased, are still kind of in a hurry, and then "Qui Gon Sir I'm tired :saddowns:"

There was a deleted scene where Qui-gon spots one of those little droids following them. Since it takes all of a few seconds and it explains why they were in such a hurry, I have no idea why it was cut.

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention
I'm finishing up the Thrawn Trilogy and was wondering what I should get next from the Kindle Store (or other ebook stores compatible with Android). I am amazed so little seems to be available on the Kindle :(

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gutcruncher posted:

There was a deleted scene where Qui-gon spots one of those little droids following them. Since it takes all of a few seconds and it explains why they were in such a hurry, I have no idea why it was cut.

I didn't know about that. Yeah, one of the things that annoyed me about that scene when I first saw it was the thought "Why are they running? Why is everything dramatic all of a sudden?" It's one more moment that makes you wonder if maybe the characters in the movie have read the script.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

Chairman Capone posted:

Her reactions were actually a bit disturbing, I thought. The same with her reaction to Alderaan being destroyed - a lot more realistic than Carrie Fisher's reaction in the movie.

I don't even know how I'd react to seeing the Earth get blown up. :colbert:

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Amrosorma posted:

I'm finishing up the Thrawn Trilogy and was wondering what I should get next from the Kindle Store (or other ebook stores compatible with Android). I am amazed so little seems to be available on the Kindle :(
You can go for Zahn's other star wars books. One of which, Allegiance, is getting a sort-of-sequel in two weeks.

Or go for the X-Wing series. If you're on a budget, stick to the Wraith Squadron books (books 5-7). Though book 9 is pretty fantastic if you want some standalone adventures of Wedge Antilles and his goofy crew.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Nckdictator posted:

If you like those then A Canticle for Leibowitz is another great radio drama.

http://www.archive.org/details/ACanticleForLiebowitz

Wow, thanks for this; it's one of my favorite books.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I'm not sure if all of the new kindle releases have it, but I picked up the 3 Coruscant Nights books last week and each ebook has a giant "Intro to the EU" section at the end. It features a summary of the different EU era's and recommends a few books to get started in each era that sounds interesting, then includes a 1 chapter preview of one of the recommended books from each era.

In case you were curious here's the recommendations they list for each era.

Old Republic:
  • The Old Republic: Deceived
  • Knight Errant
  • Darth Bane: Path of Destruction
- Includes preview for The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance (Not sure why they didn't just preview Deceived here)

Rise of the Empire:
  • Labyrinth of Evil
  • Revenge of the Sith
  • Republic Commando: Hard Contact
  • Death Troopers
  • The Han Solo Adventures
- Includes preview of Shatterpoint

Rebellion:
  • Death Star
  • The Mandalorian Armor
  • Shadows of the Empire
  • Tales of the Bounty Hunters
  • Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor
- Includes preview of Allegiance

New Republic:
  • X-Wing: Rogue Squadron
  • Heir to the Empire
  • Before the Storm
- Includes preview of Rogue Squadron

New Jedi Order:
  • Vector Prime (Not surprising here, since you can't really pick up a random NJO book and know what's going on)
- Includes preview of Vector Prime

Legacy:
  • Legacy of the Force: Betrayal
  • Millenium Falcon
  • Crosscurrent
  • Fate of the Jedi: Outcast
- Includes preview of LotF: Betrayal

Some of the choices surprised me, like the Black Fleet Crisis novel. I also don't know if you could pick up the first FotJ novel without reading LotF, but that's debatable I guess. I also thought that the Clone Wars was it's own official "era" but I guess it is lumped in with Rise of the Empire now?

Side note: Has anyone read Crosscurrent? Apparently it is about time travel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

astr0man posted:

Side note: Has anyone read Crosscurrent? Apparently it is about time travel?

I haven't read it but I want to, it's gotten good reviews from everyone I know who's read it and for once it's a post-ROTJ book without any of the movie characters, as well as by a competent writer and based on the Jedi Knight games, so what's not to like?

From what I understand, there's kind-of time travel, but not in a Star Trek-y sense. Basically a guy ejects in an escape pod in hyperspace during the Tales of the Jedi era and due to hyperspace-relativity it's the post-ROTJ era when he reverts to real-space. So technically time travel, but just a one-way jolt into the future using (kind-of) real physics.