Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Now they just need to release that ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Now they just need to release that ASAP.

Don't install anything for at least a day after release to make sure it's safe. The first Evo 4G root had a pretty awful bug that screwed up 4G for a lot of people and was very difficult to fix.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JayKay posted:

Well that was a short experiment for me. I was having some serious issues with acquiring and keeping 4G. I'm now back to a stock debloat build.

For reference, I'm on MR2, stock kernel.

Edit: I might give das bamf a try next.
Same here, it won't hand off from wifi to 4G.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

kitten smoothie posted:

Same here, it won't hand off from wifi to 4G.

I just tried it again but this time I made sure in addition to the normal format data/cache/davlik, I also formatted "/system". Now CM7 seems to be working fine with good 4G signal.

:iiam:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Something isn't right with my extended thunderbolt battery and/or ROM

I flashed dalvik and battery data when I put the new one on, but it's currently discharging 1% a minute

:suicide:

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Farking Bastage posted:

Something isn't right with my extended thunderbolt battery and/or ROM

I flashed dalvik and battery data when I put the new one on, but it's currently discharging 1% a minute

:suicide:
When I first got my Seidio extended battery for the EVO 4G, it was awful for the first 3 or 4 charges, but it normalized after that. Also I've recently found that if you clear battery stats after getting a good full charge on the battery (not when the phone says it's at 100%, but wait a few hours after that), that helps a lot as well.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
As a result of that as well as a random reboot I ended up wiping and re flashing hopefully it will act better

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JayKay posted:

I just tried it again but this time I made sure in addition to the normal format data/cache/davlik, I also formatted "/system". Now CM7 seems to be working fine with good 4G signal.

:iiam:

Huh, I'm going to try another wipe & reflash. I have kept it just set to 3G because even without 4G I still like it more than a Sense build.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

Huh, I'm going to try another wipe & reflash. I have kept it just set to 3G because even without 4G I still like it more than a Sense build.

Someone on xda explained that the scripts for cm7 attempt to reload the /system folder during install. So if you're coming from a difrent rom, you should go into mounts and format the system directory.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JayKay posted:

Someone on xda explained that the scripts for cm7 attempt to reload the /system folder during install. So if you're coming from a difrent rom, you should go into mounts and format the system directory.

I was pretty sure I made sure to wipe /system the first time, but I wiped and flashed again, no dice. I can get 4G quick and easy if I switch wireless mode from CDMA/EVDO to CDMA + EVDO/LTE Auto. But if you shut off wifi, no 4G. Works fine with 3G though.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Here is the new XDA thread created by one of the teamwin members, to track the EVO 3D root status. An app for the temp root process should come first, followed by an S-OFF tool later in the weekend.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1149998

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

I was pretty sure I made sure to wipe /system the first time, but I wiped and flashed again, no dice. I can get 4G quick and easy if I switch wireless mode from CDMA/EVDO to CDMA + EVDO/LTE Auto. But if you shut off wifi, no 4G. Works fine with 3G though.

Ok I don't know what the deal is but 4g has crapped out on me again. 3g is working perfectly. Giving up on cm7 until they get this ironed out. Currently using Tesla Coil and I'm liking it.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So I just got an Atrix, and I hated the default install. I'm still really new to all this mucking though since the only other android phone i had was a nexus one which of course is a simple assed root and easy to deal with.

So I've managed to get root done and the bootloader unlocked. Now how can install either CM7 which I've never tried, or just a stock version of gingerbread?

Also is there a way to make my phone look like another device so I can do things like netflix or video skype which officially is only supported by a limited phone list?

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
There's no CM7 for the Atrix yet, but I don't know about Gingerbread. XDA is probably your best bet.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

jfreder posted:

There's no CM7 for the Atrix yet, but I don't know about Gingerbread. XDA is probably your best bet.

So it is a specific ROM per phone?

Digging through XDA shows there is a leaked Hong Kong / Taiwan release of Gigerbread, and something called Gingerblur that is a psuedo ROM based on froyo but made to look like GB. The leaked GB is very recent, and the rumors are that GB is coming next month for the atrix anyway. I'm assuming at that time someone will take the stock Atrix GB build and do something to de-Blurify it as well?

Really just miss the easiness of a Google Experience device.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chin Strap posted:

So it is a specific ROM per phone?
Yeah, CM7 has to be built speccifically for each phone.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

EVO 3D temp-root:

http://therootofallevo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=76

After following the directions to get temp root, I pulled su and Superuser.apk from my EVO 4G. I was able to install busybox. ShootMe is able to acquire root, but it produced garbled images.

edit: Root seems to get lost, for any reasonable purpose anyway, after a few minutes. ADB shell still displays a # prompt, but it appears that /system loses rw permissions despite indicating that it is still writable (remount says it succeeded).

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 2, 2011

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I hope this is the right thread to ask. You guys are my only hope. My mother purchased some generic as gently caress wifi tablet running Froyo. I'm not sure why she did it, but that's an entirely different discussion. Anyway, it had a bunch of poo poo pre-installed but somehow she managed to wipe the device and now nothing works. The browser is broken and I can connect to wifi and that's it.

Is there a recommended build of Froyo (or better) for wifi tablets? I don't care if it's super generic or not. The stuff in the OP is all phone-oriented, so I was hoping someone might have a recommendation.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Another question I'm stuck on.

Unlocked and rooted Atrix. Installed Rom Manager. It prompts me to do Flash ClockworkMod Recovery, and then says to pick my device. Only my device isn't on the list. What do I need to do?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Builds are device specific. A "generic" build doesn't exist for all devices. What's the brand and model?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Joe Don Baker posted:

Is there a recommended build of Froyo (or better) for wifi tablets?
There's no such thing as a "generic" build of Android. Each build requires some degree of customization in order to boot on any given device. We could be a bit more helpful in recommendations if you could give us the make and model of the tablet.

That said, CyanogenMod is generally the recommended community Android distribution and a great starting point if it's supported on your tablet. It does support a bunch of devices, so take a look and see if her's is.

Edit: Unless your mother rooted it, you're not supposed to be able to fuckup an Android install beyond repair. Have you tried a "factory data reset"?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Hey all -- I am an idiot, first and foremost.

I was running an older version of CM7 and just bought an Evo 3D. I decided to sell my Evo 4G online, and went to unroot it. I ran the original software RUU (1.06.651.4) on the phone, (because I am dumb and didn't think things through) and now it is semi-bricked.

Symptoms:

The phone turns on with only a black screen (it is "lit up" but nothing appears on the screen).
The phone vibrates once, then the phone plays a sound (a little tune) to indicate it is booting up.

The phone plays a sound to indicate a low battery warning.
The phone plays a sound to indicate when I connect the USB cable to it.

If I try to boot to bootloader by holding Vol-Down when powering up, the black screen appears with no sound and no further action.

If I try to re-run the RUU, or run a different RUU, I get a USB Connection Error.

I can't run an RUU, I can't flash anything because I have no access to Recovery, etc.

Can anyone help fix my stupidity? I shouldn't have rushed into unrooting. Damnit.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There's no such thing as a "generic" build of Android. Each build requires some degree of customization in order to boot on any given device. We could be a bit more helpful in recommendations if you could give us the make and model of the tablet.

That said, CyanogenMod is generally the recommended community Android distribution and a great starting point if it's supported on your tablet. It does support a bunch of devices, so take a look and see if her's is.

Edit: Unless your mother rooted it, you're not supposed to be able to fuckup an Android install beyond repair. Have you tried a "factory data reset"?

I did a little Googling, and apparently the generic name of the tablet is 'Flytouch.' I found a thing on xda for it. I'm going to give it a shot. Thanks

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

traveling midget posted:

Hey all -- I am an idiot, first and foremost.

I was running an older version of CM7 and just bought an Evo 3D. I decided to sell my Evo 4G online, and went to unroot it. I ran the original software RUU (1.06.651.4) on the phone, (because I am dumb and didn't think things through) and now it is semi-bricked.

Symptoms:

The phone turns on with only a black screen (it is "lit up" but nothing appears on the screen).
The phone vibrates once, then the phone plays a sound (a little tune) to indicate it is booting up.

The phone plays a sound to indicate a low battery warning.
The phone plays a sound to indicate when I connect the USB cable to it.

If I try to boot to bootloader by holding Vol-Down when powering up, the black screen appears with no sound and no further action.

If I try to re-run the RUU, or run a different RUU, I get a USB Connection Error.

I can't run an RUU, I can't flash anything because I have no access to Recovery, etc.

Can anyone help fix my stupidity? I shouldn't have rushed into unrooting. Damnit.

Its volume up on the evo 4g, not down.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

DigitalMocking posted:

Its volume up on the evo 4g, not down.

Wow, I'm dumb. It's been a long time since I had to do that.

Booting with Vol-Up makes the phone vibrate three times, NOT light up, and do nothing else.

EDIT: Power + Vol-Down is correct. Power + Vol-Up puts you in an HTC Debug mode, not bootloader.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004
Has anyone figured out his to get past Verizon's wifi tether block that came out earlier this month? Barnacle and Wifi Tether don't work for me on a Droid X. They might have actually been succesful at blocking it.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Right now I'm stuck between OMFGB and CM7 for the Thunderbolt. Both of them have the handoff/4G issues that can be alleviated with the toggling of 3G/4G in options. It's annoying but it's a working fix.

OMFGB had a slight edge over CM7 as it has less bugs, however I feel it's less professional. I could really do without "TEH HAX00RZ" as my boot up screen and other various 1337 stuff it has. CM7 also has more options for lockscreens, etc, and seems a bit more polished.

I just wish AOSP roms could handle the 3G/4G handoff. It's all I want :(

Edit: My solution for the 4G issue is to just keep the phone in 3G mode unless I need to surf and then switch it to 4G. This was done before switching to CM7/OMFGB anyways to preserve battery life.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 2, 2011

Txiuct
May 27, 2006

United States Federal Bureau of Investigation - "We don't give a shit, holmes."

fudsak posted:

Has anyone figured out his to get past Verizon's wifi tether block that came out earlier this month? Barnacle and Wifi Tether don't work for me on a Droid X. They might have actually been succesful at blocking it.

my buddy tethers with his droid x all the time and isnt blocked. I'll ask him what setup hes got.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
I broke down and bought a refurbished Nook Color. I recall people saying that you can run CM 7 without flashing, but the instructions on the wiki seems to imply otherwise.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

traveling midget posted:

Wow, I'm dumb. It's been a long time since I had to do that.

Booting with Vol-Up makes the phone vibrate three times, NOT light up, and do nothing else.

EDIT: Power + Vol-Down is correct. Power + Vol-Up puts you in an HTC Debug mode, not bootloader.

The wiki lied to me, sorry :(

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
My Nexus One has a really old build of MIUI from around November/December. Am I going to have to whipe it to flash to the latest build?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ashex posted:

My Nexus One has a really old build of MIUI from around November/December. Am I going to have to whipe it to flash to the latest build?

I think that's after they migrated to 2.3 so it's possible. Just give it a shot. If it boot loops then wipe and reflash. No biggie.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Sizzlechest posted:

I broke down and bought a refurbished Nook Color. I recall people saying that you can run CM 7 without flashing, but the instructions on the wiki seems to imply otherwise.

You can, or at least you used to be able to, but people who publish pre-packaged CM roms that run off an SD card are rare.

And honestly, there's very little reason to keep the stock ROM on that thing. You can flash it back to factory standard if you're worried about reselling.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

Txiuct posted:

my buddy tethers with his droid x all the time and isnt blocked. I'll ask him what setup hes got.

Thanks I would appreciate it. About a month ago verizon has begun seriously attacking the free wick methods.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chin Strap posted:

Another question I'm stuck on.

Unlocked and rooted Atrix. Installed Rom Manager. It prompts me to do Flash ClockworkMod Recovery, and then says to pick my device. Only my device isn't on the list. What do I need to do?
The Atrix is on a Tegra 2 platform, so if it's anything like the G2x, ROM Manager won't properly flash CWM, anyway. You have to do it through NVFlash, if that's the case.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
My girlfriends mother has a Nook Color, and is interested in the features I have described that she could have by running CM7

Where can I find root instructions?

If I understand what I have read in this thread correctly, the Nook Color boots from the SD card first, so I can root and run CM7 for her without really screwing up her existing stock install... Right?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ozmodiar posted:

My girlfriends mother has a Nook Color, and is interested in the features I have described that she could have by running CM7

Where can I find root instructions?

If I understand what I have read in this thread correctly, the Nook Color boots from the SD card first, so I can root and run CM7 for her without really screwing up her existing stock install... Right?

You can, but as was just gone over, it's hard as poo poo to find something that boots off the SD card that runs CM7. Here's a wiki with all the instructions you need though:

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor/Rooting/Eclair

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

The Atrix is on a Tegra 2 platform, so if it's anything like the G2x, ROM Manager won't properly flash CWM, anyway. You have to do it through NVFlash, if that's the case.

I figured it out. There was a custom CWM backup just for Atrix that I installed and ran to get my nandroid backup. Unfortunately none of the current ROMs interest me enough to flash until gingerbread comes this month.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

fudsak posted:

This might be a jump for you if you're not already into custom ROMs but Barnacle works great in Cyanogenmod on the X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I thought it was a market block only? Still working on my Fascinate.