Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Aredna posted:

Got my first guitar and amp. Now to figure out how to play this thing. It sounds nice unplugged as well so I'll be able to practice quietly, something I'm sure my apartment neighbors will be happy to know.

This is a Malden Subhuman and Marshall MG30DFX amp.

Get a good set of headphones, seriously. That way you can be rocking out properly in your head and your neighbors won't hear a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Boss RPS-10 on its way right now. It's a wonky mid-80s digital pitch-shifter/delay. I like things that totally ruin a guitar's sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYXJ3sYx6uQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5_ijAkNj2s

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I love that thing. A guitar player in an old band of mine had one and worked that thing to do some really unique stuff that sounded *nothing* like a typical effected guitar.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Just ordered a Black Arts Toneworks LSTR fuzz

There's a 15% off sale there right now, and the international shipping was dirt cheap (7 bucks) so I pretty much had to.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

ethan posted:

Just ordered a Black Arts Toneworks LSTR fuzz

There's a 15% off sale there right now, and the international shipping was dirt cheap (7 bucks) so I pretty much had to.

Mark seems to know his stuff. I knew him from years of posting on boards like Harmony Central so I ordered from his 2nd batch of Pharaohs when he announced he'd be making more since he was getting positive reviews on the 1st batch and ended up with #12. For being his first production fuzz pedal, it's really good! Scratch that... it's really good, period. I'm hearing similarly good things about the LSTR.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Catastrophe posted:

Mark seems to know his stuff. I knew him from years of posting on boards like Harmony Central so I ordered from his 2nd batch of Pharaohs when he announced he'd be making more since he was getting positive reviews on the 1st batch and ended up with #12. For being his first production fuzz pedal, it's really good! Scratch that... it's really good, period. I'm hearing similarly good things about the LSTR.

I love the LSTR sound clips, far more than the Pharaoh (which is more classic-fuzz-y whereas the LSTR is more stoner-metal-fuzz-y to my ears).

I'm picking one up to plug my new Ibanez RGD-320 in to. Tom Lee was blowing the white ones out for $199 last week. http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGD320

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

mr_package posted:

I love the LSTR sound clips, far more than the Pharaoh (which is more classic-fuzz-y whereas the LSTR is more stoner-metal-fuzz-y to my ears).

Yeah that's why I got it. I already have a fuzz factory so I don't really need another "just fuzz" fuzz.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

mr_package posted:

Yeah, the LSTR sounds a bit more up my alley but I really don't need more fuzz pedals right now. I don't use the ones I have (Boss FZ-2, Pharaoh and a home built Tonebender clone) enough to justify getting another. My amp doesn't even have a Gain knob.. the gain knob on mine is labeled "Fuzz" because it sounds more rough and harsh than a normal amp's overdrive. I'm fuzzed out for now. What I do want is a decent reverb and to finally get a pedal tuner.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
One day I will own an Electric amp. For now I am happy with my Rivera K100 though, especially since I retubed it with E34Ls.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

ethan posted:

One day I will own an Electric amp. For now I am happy with my Rivera K100 though, especially since I retubed it with E34Ls.

Let me tell you something about Electric amps though. There's a lot of hype surrounding them and most people have no idea if any of it's true or if it's just opinion and hyperbole. Since they're not very common, it's not super easy to just go test one out yourself. So let me clear up a couple of points:

The bad:
-They're kinda heavy.
-"Electric" is kind of a silly brand name for a guitar amp.

The good:
-Everything else is absolutely perfect/amazing.

Best musical equipment purchase I've ever made. I have never once regretted spending that much on it. If it was between selling it for rent money or being homeless, well I guess I'd be laying in an alley that night spooning my Electric amp then because no way would I sell it. :colbert:

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Catastrophe posted:

Let me tell you something about Electric amps though. There's a lot of hype surrounding them and most people have no idea if any of it's true or if it's just opinion and hyperbole. Since they're not very common, it's not super easy to just go test one out yourself. So let me clear up a couple of points:

The bad:
-They're kinda heavy.
-"Electric" is kind of a silly brand name for a guitar amp.

The good:
-Everything else is absolutely perfect/amazing.

Best musical equipment purchase I've ever made. I have never once regretted spending that much on it. If it was between selling it for rent money or being homeless, well I guess I'd be laying in an alley that night spooning my Electric amp then because no way would I sell it. :colbert:

Heavy doesn't bother me, I lug around a 4x12 and a 2x12 everywhere. :colbert:

I recently made the decision to order a custom guitar (Monson Redemption, pics in this thread in about 4 months :munch: ) over an Electric but one day it will be mine.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

ethan posted:

Heavy doesn't bother me, I lug around a 4x12 and a 2x12 everywhere. :colbert:

I recently made the decision to order a custom guitar (Monson Redemption, pics in this thread in about 4 months :munch: ) over an Electric but one day it will be mine.

The bit about them being heavy was a joke.. They're absolutely exquisite pieces of equipment. In all honesty, the only real negative to the MV series Electric heads is that they don't have a really good clean sound. They love tube saturation. I personally do not care about this.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Catastrophe posted:

The bit about them being heavy was a joke.. They're absolutely exquisite pieces of equipment. In all honesty, the only real negative to the MV series Electric heads is that they don't have a really good clean sound. They love tube saturation. I personally do not care about this.

That definitely wouldn't bother me either, the clean channel on my Rivera is great and I'd use both amps so yeah...

In other news, bought one of these bad boys today and I am smitten with it. Also considering doing what every youtube demo video guy is doing and getting a POG or HOG to make organ sounds with it!

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

ethan posted:

That definitely wouldn't bother me either, the clean channel on my Rivera is great and I'd use both amps so yeah...

In other news, bought one of these bad boys today and I am smitten with it. Also considering doing what every youtube demo video guy is doing and getting a POG or HOG to make organ sounds with it!

The HOG has a couple of Freeze functions already built into the pedal - it's where they got the idea for the Freeze in the first place. :ssh:

deluxeg
Jan 19, 2001
SUNN alpha 212r and POD HD500

The SUNN has insane low end and is loud as hell.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

I picked up this along with a matching cab:

Then I traded in my old Randall 100w 2x12 combo amp for one of these:

It is the destroyer of worlds :black101: :rock:

I'll probably pick up an ISP Decimator next paycheck.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Shredder posted:

...matching cab

Noooooooooooooooo!

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

W424 posted:

Noooooooooooooooo!

Yeah I know, but at $950 for both I wasn't going to complain.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Shredder posted:

Yeah I know, but at $950 for both I wasn't going to complain.

That's a great deal... and for what it's worth, I had a 90's 5150 cabinet (assuming it's the same?) and thought it sounded incredibly.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

ethan posted:

I got the same deal-- thanks for the heads up!

I assume it's expired now though: http://www.tonefactor.com/blog/2011/06/30/tone-factors-4th-of-july-weekend-sale/

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

bisticles posted:

That's a great deal... and for what it's worth, I had a 90's 5150 cabinet (assuming it's the same?) and thought it sounded incredibly.

Honestly it sounds pretty bad rear end, but I haven't hooked it up to any other cabs to compare. Ignorance is bliss for now (and my wallet thanks me for that!)

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Really fiending for one of these.

http://www.hansonmusicalinstruments.com/images/chicagoan-p90-mid.jpg

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Dear god yes.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I already got a P90 semi in a similar red color, so I'll probably go all out White Falcon and get their mini hum version in white.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Guitarist in my old band as a Firenze T90, sounds loving amazing.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Shredder posted:

Honestly it sounds pretty bad rear end, but I haven't hooked it up to any other cabs to compare. Ignorance is bliss for now (and my wallet thanks me for that!)

One thing I'll say with 100% confidence as a previous owner of a 5150 is that Peavey's 5150/6505 amps sound ok at lower volumes at home but at 5 or higher on the master volume, played at full band volume, they are INCREDIBLE. Absolutely incredible. They get a lot of flack for being "fizzy" or "buzzy" but I guarantee every single person who says that is not playing them at a proper volume with other instruments playing with them. In that scenario, they are faultless.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
That Fierenze T-90 is effing beautiful. Only 700ish, too. Got a link to him playing it? How's it play?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I went to guitar center right after work today and picked up a Mitchell MM100 Mandolin

It had just been put on the wall and hadn't even been tuned or set up, so the guy at the counter did it for me, and since I paid cash he threw in a set of strings.
I'll post a photo of mine once I get home.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Just got two Mackie SRM-450's.

For $200 total. These things cost $600 new each, but I landed the best loving summer job ever and basically get first crack at any surplus poo poo that has to get sold.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Warcabbit posted:

That Fierenze T-90 is effing beautiful. Only 700ish, too. Got a link to him playing it? How's it play?

Their Chicagoan with P-90s looks gorgeous too; wish they'd had soundclips for it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Warcabbit posted:

http://www.reverbnation.com/concretejumpsuit Tracks from their new EP.

He's rhythm-guitar/vocals though, so not much lead work with that guitar. He seems to love it. Had it I think about 9 months now.

It's got a really great "sparkly" clean sound, and when you push it hard, the breakup is just beautiful.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 8, 2011

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I bought an amp last night

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

FancyMike posted:

I used to have a Guild ThunderStar guitar combo. It sounded good but I sold it due to the fact that I needed money more than it, I want it back now.

glennnyc
Sep 20, 2001

FancyMike posted:

oh poo poo, I've been eying these for a while, since I played through one in Iceland. I saw one not far away on CL but I already have so much crap.

How is it?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

glennnyc posted:

oh poo poo, I've been eying these for a while, since I played through one in Iceland. I saw one not far away on CL but I already have so much crap.

How is it?

I like it so far. "Thunderbass" is kind of a misleading name though. It is not nearly powerful enough to bring the bass thunder. I cranked it at practice last night with my bass and couldn't keep up with the guitar or the drums even though the sound was pretty nice. It puts out about forty watts. But with guitar it's great. I haven't spent a ton of time with it yet and am in need of a guitar cab, but that may or may not happen soon as I'm primarily a bass player at the moment. It just popped up on Craigslist for the right price and I've been looking for a guitar amp. Might try and find an old Fender cab to pair it with.

VISMAL
Aug 30, 2006

Handen posted:

Just got two Mackie SRM-450's.

For $200 total. These things cost $600 new each, but I landed the best loving summer job ever and basically get first crack at any surplus poo poo that has to get sold.

Wow, great deal. I so badly need new speakers and a PA. I can not hear vocals for the life of me. How do you love them?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Shredder posted:

I picked up this along with a matching cab:

Then I traded in my old Randall 100w 2x12 combo amp for one of these:

It is the destroyer of worlds :black101: :rock:

I'll probably pick up an ISP Decimator next paycheck.

That's pretty much one of my guitarist's rigs... you NEED the decimator, but apart from that it's a totally amazing combo. The peaves is raw as hell on its own, but as soon as you add that 808 it's a loving animal.

Now plug in something tuned to C standard and destroy all life :D

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Zoom H1 and a hairball from http://www.redheadwindscreens.com/

The H1 is the best portable recorder to launch for under $100, sensitive to air from the wind and voices it's made a lot better with a good windscreen. I'm able to walk with it at a decent pace without microphone muffling and record in windy situations now.

It lacks the ability to act as a USB microphone and larger models (H4) are easy to find used for around the same price, it's also a mess to use hand-held because the plastic chassis will be picked up by the microphones, have it on a steady boom, tripod, gorillapod or camera-mount at all times when recording.

Just need a pair of googly eyes now.

e: Not bad as an improv harmonica mic either now. Normally I just sample percussive and ambient hum

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 11, 2011

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Basically brand new RGA8 for $500? I played it and, while I had no idea what I was doing on it, it felt...right...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MusicJustus
Apr 11, 2011

by angerbot
I find this thread extremely STRANGE and ALIEN to what I understand