Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Well, Mr. Black, you get to watch Sin City. Finally, I can recommend something I've seen! It's an excellent movie- I know Frank Miller can get silly, but it worked perfectly here. That Yellow Bastard is probably the best because Bruce Willis. Hope you enjoy.

The Godfather Part II: I think I liked this one better. It was a more focused story, and so I didn’t have the problem with too many subplots like in the first one. The only real subplot was the excellent flashback story, and the flashbacks were clearly distinguished from the present day, while having obvious parallels. I did miss Brando, but Pacino really came into his own here. I think this might have been the beginning of the Pacino personality- the voice and the intensity that have become his trademark. Sadly, that persona has largely descended to self-parody (see: The Recruit), but it was very effective here. He embodied the tragedy of the story well. Vito, for all his flaws, seemed a genuinely loving family man, but by the end of part two, Michael had completely cut off all human connections and become a true tragic hero. One headscratcher was that, according to the dates given in part two, Vito was only in his mid-fifties during part one, but he seemed a lot older to me.
Rating: 4/4

I don't think I have any interest in Part III. Everyone says it's not nearly as good, but the real kicker for me is that there's a sixteen year gap between the making of II and III. Aside from Toy Story 3, has there ever been a sequel made more than ten years later that was good? So, back to the list.

2. Goodfellas - Just never came up. I know Joe Pesci yells about not being funny for a while, and I remember the Animaniacs parodies, but that's really all I know. But I liked Gangs of New York and Raging Bull, so I have confidence in Scorsese.

Speaking of De Niro:

3. Taxi Driver - Most of these I don't have a good reason for. This is another one of those movies everyone can quote, so I think I should see it, but it's just never come up.

4. Blade Runner - Now this is really shameful. I'm a big sci-fi fan, and I like Harrison Ford, so it's bad already. But what really makes it inexcusable is that I bought it a couple years ago, and it's still sitting on the shelf in shrink wrap.

5. 2001: A Space Odyssey - More sci-fi that everyone but me has seen. I think my dad has a copy, so that would make it easier. I think I already know most of the plot, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it. If I'm given this one, I promise to try my best not to make too many Portal jokes.

6. Anything by Kurosawa - Seems to me like you have to go out of your way to see foreign films. I don't know anyone who owns these, and no one's ever personally suggested one to me. I like Japanese culture and history (I once wrote a whole story set in 16th century Japan), so I feel I should see some of these, and not just more anime. Rashomon sounds interesting, but I'll take the recommendation of the thread.

7. Pulp Fiction - For that matter, anything by Tarantino except for Inglourious Basterds. Pulp Fiction, however, is that only one I've gotten the "you've never seen?" treatment over. I know Jackson quotes the Bible and Walken shoves a watch up his rear end, and there's a suitcase full of macguffins that they're fighting over, but I'm most interested in this because of the clever dialogue that Tarantino writes. Both this and Reservoir Dogs are on my instant queue, so just say the word.

8. Chinatown - I didn't realize this was a must-see, but so many people upthread have included it that I figure I must be missing something. I really like Rosemary's Baby, and I'm willing to overlook the fact that the director is a rapist and judge the film on its own merits (of course, by the same token, his personal behavior should be judged on its own merits and not because of what films he's made, but that's a whole other conversation).

9. The Aviator - More from that Scorsese clown. This one isn't as much a must see as some of the others, but it's added shame because it's another one that I own but haven't seen (there's probably another five movies like that, but most of them are more obscure). I bought it for three bucks about four years ago when a local video store went out of business and I've never taken it out of the box.

10. Casablanca - Well, at least I’ve seen Citizen Kane, but AFI’s number 2 has escaped my notice. I can’t believe I didn’t think of this one right away- I was sitting here for a couple minutes trying to think of a number 10 to round out the list.

12. Superman - Not that shameful, but I've seen most of the major superhero movies, and this one's supposed to be the gold standard. I'd probably enjoy it except for Superman reversing time. :bang:

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jurgan posted:

I don't think I have any interest in Part III. Everyone says it's not nearly as good, but the real kicker for me is that there's a sixteen year gap between the making of II and III. Aside from Toy Story 3, has there ever been a sequel made more than ten years later that was good? So, back to the list.

The biggest problem with Part III, is that the movie is nowhere in the same league of I & II. This may be alright for other trilogies, but we are talking about The Godfather Part I & II and what you get is an incredible mediocre movie, most of time painfully mediocre. To add salt to the wounds Goodfellas(which you have in your list) came out the same year, and Scorsese's gritty portrayal of gangsters killed the "romanticized" Gangsters of Coppola.

I don't think it's not worth watching, but certainly not something you rush to go watch, or be forced to. :v:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jurgan posted:

Aside from Toy Story 3, has there ever been a sequel made more than ten years later that was good?.

I haven't seen it but a lot say that Psycho II is excellent. 23 year span.
I recommend Taxi Driver.

Finding Nemo - The story was pretty good. I think my problem was with the fish themselves. They were all hyperactive/ADHD/brain damaged etc. Probably overcompensated to help kids with short attention spans but I'd had enough. Those fish needed sedatives.

also watched: Judgment at Nuremberg - I kept oscillating between ambivalence and interest with this one. Definitely some memorable moments and definitely a few hyper histrionic moments. It almost felt too big a subject to be dealt with in 3 hours. Every character took on a distinct personality and viewpoint. It really was a smörgåsbord of beliefs. The inclusion of the real camp footage was unexpected.

IMDb list:

#165 The Secret in Their Eyes - Recently acclaimed foreign movie I heard about on TV. 5/2/11

#169 Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - Is this similar to Snatch? 4/23/11

new The Bourne Supremacy - I liked the first film. I need to watch this before The Bourne Ultimatum (which is currently #173) 7/1/11

#183 Gandhi - I believe this was the first movie I added to the Netflix queue when I got that service. Then I added another 300+ movies and this vanished somewhere into ether. 5/18/11

#196 The Hustler - I never did like Paul Newman's pasta sauces (the Newman's Own brand). Nasty frozen pizzas too. I don't care if they've given $300million USD to charity in the last 30 years! 6/16/11

#197 The Road AKA La Strada - I saw Nights of Cabiria a while ago and liked it so maybe I'll like this as well. That lead actress had a very unique presence/aura about her. 6/11/11

#199 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#200 Dial M for Murder - Another tennis player murder mystery? Hitchcock must've had something against tennis. 6/22/11

#201 Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Clearly I am. 6/26/11

new #205 A Streetcar Named Desire - Is this the one where Brando keeps screaming "Stella?!" 7/1/11

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Zogo, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Traffic is a good well made film with solid performances and great directing, weaving several drug stories in one large interwoven narrative without feeling particularly forced or hard to follow. I had a bit of a hard time getting invested in any of the stories though, so doesn't crack the greatness barrier.

Updated list:

The Last Command Another silent I need to get around to.

Riget Time to add another miniseries I haven't seen. All I know is it's made by Lars von Trier.

Possession Not sure why I have this on my need to see list actually. Maybe someone here recommended it? Seems like it could be brilliant or terrible.

The Wind Will Carry Us The last Kiarostami movie I saw, Ten, really soured me on the guy, but considering I've liked his other features there's no reason not to give this a shot.

The Year of Living Dangerously Peter Weir, Mel Gibson early 80s. That's the extent of my knowledge.

Perceval le Gallois Rohmer may be my favourite director. I've seen everything else pre-1998, but King Arthur adaptations don't have a good track record with me.

Seven Beauties Never seen a Lina Wertmüller, this one seems to be the most highly regarded, though if anyone think I should watch Love and Anarchy or The Seduction of Mimi instead I'm fine with that.

Blackmail Hitchcock, it's been a while. There's both a sound version and a silent version. I'm not sure which I should watch, or if both which I should watch first.

Twelve O'Clock High Gregory Peck WWII film.

I Live in Fear I actually tried watching this once but kept drifting asleep, no fault of the film though. I know how it starts and ends but the middle is a messy blur.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10 , Lagaan 8.5/10 , The Warriors 8/10 , Être et avoir 9/10 , Punishment Park 7/10 , Traffic 8/10

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The Year of Living Dangerously Peter Weir, Mel Gibson early 80s. That's the extent of my knowledge.

I Am Cuba is most definitely a primary source. One sided propaganda, yes, but a primary source nonetheless. Regardless of the political ties the film is astounding. There are certain shots that I can't even understand how they achieved in one take. It's beautiful to look at, and the stories themselves hold up to make the whole movie a strong piece.

#65 The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Promised a friend I'd watch this eventually. This is the first one in the series, right?

#66 The Conversation - This is supposed to be right after Apocalypse Now and The Godfather for Coppola's best so let's have at it.

#68 Metropolis - Probably about time I watch this.

#69 Man On Wire - Been meaning to watch this for a good while.

#71 The 39 Steps - I have a good amount of Hitchcock to start making up for.

#73 Django - I need to watch a spaghetti western that's not directed by Leone.

#74 A Hard Day's Night - I do like The Beatles, and this is actually supposed to be really good.

#75 Double Indemnity - Trying to get through some essentials.

#76 The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover - This seems like it's up my alley.

#77 Bronson - I've been wanting to watch it for awhile now, but it looks like I'm not going to without that extra push.

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth, The Wild Bunch, The Warriors, Chinatown, Dr. Strangelove, American History X, Barton Fink, Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, The Maltese Falcon, Annie Hall, Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Casablanca, M, Seven Samurai, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Godfather, The Seventh Seal, Mulholland Drive, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Silence Of The Lambs, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Wild Strawberries, High Fidelity, Goldfinger, The Bicycle Thief, The Thing, Bonnie And Clyde, There Will Be Blood, 8½, Spirited Away, The Big Sleep, A Fish Called Wanda, The Man Who Wasn't There, 12 Angry Men, The Elephant Man, Once Upon A Time In The West, Moon, The 400 Blows, Rosemary's Baby, City Of God, Dog Day Afternoon, Breathless, Saving Private Ryan, Network, Persona, Mean Streets, Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, The Rules Of The Game, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Killing, Punch-Drunk Love, Rebecca, La Strada, Bowling For Columbine, The Virgin Spring, Wild At Heart, Mad Max, Enter The Dragon, Aliens, Man Bites Dog, The Magnificent Seven, Peeping Tom, Labyrinth, I Am Cuba

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

TrixRabbi, you get Double Indemnity - definitely an essential.

I have been away from this thread for a few weeks, but I'm back! with: several shameless movies knocked out, a revised list, and a better system for organizing my previously seen movies + ratings. At a later point I can go through again and align them with my exact Criticker ratings.

The documentary Inside Job is an effective summary of the causes and outcomes of the latest financial crisis. I remember a lot of fly-by scenes of Manhattan's skyline, as well as interviews taking place at the top of skyscrapers. A solid amount of effort went into making the movie look nice. The documentary aspect didn't cover much new information but did a good job of condensing the abundance of information we do have into a digestible narrative, complete with fancy graphics and charts. Could have used some more diverse interview subjects, though.

After twenty minutes of Harakiri I knew I was in for a great movie. The masterful use of flashbacks begs a comparison with Kurosawa, and the familiar themes of honor and social order are shaken to their foundation. I'll definitely recommend this movie to anyone whose includes it in their list.

I was originally made aware of A Face in the Crowd by the 'Movie of the Month' thread, but I didn't get around to watching it until a week ago. My expectations for the movie were fairly high, and it did not disappoint. Aside from the wild performance of Andy Griffith, it contained an interesting commentary on the status of media figures in society. The editing on a couple scenes was particularly remarkable - the Vitajex advertisement and, after his on-air rant, descending the elevator in juxtaposition with his loss of ratings.

New list:

La Dolce Vita Cautiously adding this to my list after viewing 8½ - not that I didn't like it, but I wasn't blown away either

Prince of the City Knocked out Serpico and continuing on with the Lumet collection

Ace in the Hole Appealing premise, great people involved

The Leopard Going into this movie practically blind, hope it's worth it

High and Low Picking up Kurosawa again

Hud Filling in a hole in the western genre

All That Jazz Seen this movie mentioned a lot recently

The Grifters Yet another kind of noir

Bugsy Another gangster movie with a Morricone soundtrack, and more Warren Beatty

The White Ribbon Going with a more recent foreign film

Watched:

Once Upon a Time in America 8.5/10 , The Sting 7.5/10 , MASH 7.5/10 , Ran 9/10 , The Big Sleep 9/10 , Army of Shadows 9.5/10 , On the Waterfront 9/10 , Fantastic Planet 8.5/10 , Annie Hall 9.5/10 , Barton Fink 9/10 , The 400 Blows 9/10 , La Grande Illusion 9.5/10 , Gandhi 8.5/10 , The Hill 8.5/10 , Manhattan 9/10 , The Host 8/10 , The Bicycle Thief 9/10 , The Asphalt Jungle 9/10 , The Insider 9/10 , Bringing Out the Dead 8/10 , 8.5/10 , The Abyss 8.5/10 , The Thin Blue Line 8.5/10 , Touch of Evil 8/10 , Glengarry Glen Ross 9/10 , The Wages of Fear 9.5/10 , Paris, Texas 8/10 , The Conversation 8/10 , Reds 8.5/10 , Fargo 9/10 , Pierrot Le Fou 7.5/10 , Blood Simple 8/10 , The Killing 8.5/10 , Inside Job 8.5/10 , Harakiri 9.5/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Budhisattva posted:

High and Low Picking up Kurosawa again

Felt bored by Shane really. I can see and understand why it's a classic, but it didn't do anything for me. Also I was hoping that someone would murder the child. "SHAAAAAAAAAAANE! SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE!" Gah! gently caress off! How did he get nominated for an Oscar? Eh I guess these western American classics aren't for me.

My Shame List:

Get Carter It's the 40th anniversary of this movie apparently.

Stray Dog More Kurosawa Noir.

Cape Fear I did not care much for the Scorsese remake. Hoping this will be better.

Rebecca Hitchcock's only Best Picture win.

Through a Glass Darkly The first of the Chamber Trilogy.(Or whatever you call it)

Brief Encounter Pre-Epic Lean.

Bonnie and Clyde Been avoiding watching this for some reason.

Cross of Iron Down with the cowboy hat up with the soldiers helmet.

To Kill a Mockingbird Is the movie better than the book?

Grizzly Man Not sure about this one.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu, Serpico, Fantasia, Shane.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

Get Carter It's the 40th anniversary of this movie apparently.

40 years on, Micheal Caine could still kick either of our asses raw.

Let's see what I come up with here:

- The constant gushing from all quarters that I've been hearing pretty much since I had ears about how indispensable this film is has only instilled in me a certainty that it is, in fact, an overrated turd. Here's your chance to help me prove myself right!

Taxi Driver - Watched half of it a long time ago, then stopped. I have no recollection why. Seemed like I was enjoying it. Go fig.

Tokyo Story - Read something once that described Kurosawa as the greatest Japanese director outside of Japan, and Ozu as the greatest within. Been meaning to see this since, but my attention span is hehe pineapple goggles.

Metropolis - I can't explain it. It's got everything, and yet...

Full Metal Jacket - Again, I can give no reason. I have yet to meet a Kubrick film I didn't love. Maybe it's all the Ermey riffing that's got me feeling like I've seen it already, like with The Godfather (not an entry).

Memento - Had the ending spoiled. Actually hit the guy that did it, too. Maybe it's still worth watching, maybe not.

The 400 Blows - Another unimpeachable Euro-shrine, only I actually hold out some hope for this one.

Shane - Speaking of.

Koyaanisqatsi - Schrodinger's movie: I'll either love it to death or hate it with the passion of a thousand suns. So far, I've been too afraid to open the box and see.

Delicatessen - This title has wandered into my line of sight uncountable times over the years, only to vanish from memory as soon as my head is turned.

Yeah, that'll do for now.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Bitchtits McGee, you get to restart and finish Taxi Driver.

Electronico6 posted:

Felt bored by Shane really. I can see and understand why it's a classic, but it didn't do anything for me. Also I was hoping that someone would murder the child. "SHAAAAAAAAAAANE! SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE!" Gah! gently caress off! How did he get nominated for an Oscar? Eh I guess these western American classics aren't for me.
That sums up my feelings on Shane. I assume by western American classics you mean pre-1960s and the opinion is based on this and a couple of Ford films. You might want to give something by Mann (Man of the West) or Boetticher (7 Men from Now) a try.

The Year of Living Dangerously is a good film, but much like Traffic it failed to fully resonate with me. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, especially Linda Hunt's performance as little man Billy Kwan. I just felt like I'd seen the same concept done better in other films, most notably The Killing Fields.

Updated list:

Riget Time to add another miniseries I haven't seen. All I know is it's made by Lars von Trier.

Possession Not sure why I have this on my need to see list actually. Maybe someone here recommended it? Seems like it could be brilliant or terrible.

The Wind Will Carry Us The last Kiarostami movie I saw, Ten, really soured me on the guy, but considering I've liked his other features there's no reason not to give this a shot.

Perceval le Gallois Rohmer may be my favourite director. I've seen everything else pre-1998, but King Arthur adaptations don't have a good track record with me.

Seven Beauties Never seen a Lina Wertmüller, this one seems to be the most highly regarded, though if anyone think I should watch Love and Anarchy or The Seduction of Mimi instead I'm fine with that.

Blackmail Hitchcock, it's been a while. There's both a sound version and a silent version. I'm not sure which I should watch, or if both which I should watch first.

I Live in Fear I actually tried watching this once but kept drifting asleep, no fault of the film though. I know how it starts and ends but the middle is a messy blur.

Tetsuo I hear this is a cool Sci-Fi/Horror.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10 , Lagaan 8.5/10 , The Warriors 8/10 , Être et avoir 9/10 , Punishment Park 7/10 , Traffic 8/10 , The Year of Living Dangerously 7.5/10

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

PA, give Tetsuo: The Iron Man a try. It's definitely... something.

The Great Dictator - Though I prefer silent Chaplin, this one still retained much of the charm of his earlier work, especially since his Jewish Barber character barely speaks. I've heard complaints that the final speech is out of place, given that up until that point the character had uttered about ten words. I think that's the joke/point. Chaplin has seldom been heard to speak prior to this, and what he has to say is profound and life affirming. That he satirized Hitler like this in 1940 is amazing to me. 82/100

New list:

Cinema Paradiso - I know very little about this.

The Apartment - I've seen two Wilder films and I love them both. So I'm sure I'll like this too.

On the Waterfront - I like Marlon Brando, so I have no hesitation to see this.

Grave of the Fireflies - Another highly praised anime I have not seen.

Witness for the Prosecution - I know nothing about this one.

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - One of my favorite films ever is Nosferatu, yet it remains the only Murnau film I've seen.

The Grapes of Wrath - Sounds great. It's just never been on my radar.

The Kid - More Chaplin I need to see.

Ben-Hur - I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to this one very much. Looks a tad hokey from the little I've seen, and it's very long.

The Wages of Fear - Clouzot impressed the hell out of me with Diabolique. Let's see if he can top himself.

Watched (scores out of 100):
12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92) Das Boot(92) Downfall(70) It Happened One Night(77) Cool Hand Luke(90) The Great Dictator(82)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Grave of the Fireflies is amazing, my crocodilian comrade. You need to see it post haste. Keep a box of tissues handy, though.

A Face in the Crowd, while I haven’t seen it, always seemed kind of simplistic to me. Certainly media demagogues are relevant today, but the idea that one would hold his viewers in so much contempt… I don’t know. I mean, someone like Glenn Beck may not respect his audience much, but it’s hard to imagine him so blatantly dismissing them as idiotic rubes. I don’t know, maybe I’m naïve, or maybe the movie is more complex than I’m imagining.

Taxi Driver was excellent. Scorsese is 3/3 with me so far (Raging Bull and Gangs of New York are the others), so he's on my watch list now. It reminded me most of Fight Club- the story of a man's mental breakdown against the backdrop of society's breakdown (plus they both had Rorshach-style voiceover narration about how they hated the world and insomnia). So it managed to work both as an intense character piece and as a thumbnail sketch of New York in the seventies. DeNiro being so young made it easier to forget it was him and focus on the character, which in turn shows how good an actor he is. I was surprised how little Jodie Foster was in it- her role is pretty well-known, but I don't think she was onscreen more than ten minutes. I get that Travis was desperately trying to make some sort of human connection with Iris, and that's why he killed her pimps, but I'm less clear as to why he tried to shoot a presidential candidate. However, the whole thing was about Travis's mind snapping, so I imagine his motives would be clearer on repeat viewings. I'm not holding that against the movie, as a good movie should have deeper layers you can uncover on multiple viewings. The ending was very abrupt- Travis shoots some people, then we limp through a few minutes of epilogue and it’s over. Betsy showing up at the end, though, was the perfect bookend, as it showed Travis could relate to her as a normal human rather than an obsessive stalker. Rating: 4/4

2. Goodfellas - Just never came up. I know Joe Pesci yells about not being funny for a while, and I remember the Animaniacs parodies, but that's really all I know. But I liked Gangs of New York and Raging Bull [edit: and now Taxi Driver], so I have confidence in Scorsese.

4. Blade Runner - Now this is really shameful. I'm a big sci-fi fan, and I like Harrison Ford, so it's bad already. But what really makes it inexcusable is that I bought it a couple years ago, and it's still sitting on the shelf in shrink wrap.

5. 2001: A Space Odyssey - More sci-fi that everyone but me has seen. I think my dad has a copy, so that would make it easier. I think I already know most of the plot, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it. If I'm given this one, I promise to try my best not to make too many Portal jokes.

6. Anything by Kurosawa - Seems to me like you have to go out of your way to see foreign films. I don't know anyone who owns these, and no one's ever personally suggested one to me. I like Japanese culture and history (I once wrote a whole story set in 16th century Japan), so I feel I should see some of these, and not just more anime. Rashomon sounds interesting, but I'll take the recommendation of the thread.

7. Pulp Fiction - For that matter, anything by Tarantino except for Inglourious Basterds. Pulp Fiction, however, is that only one I've gotten the "you've never seen?" treatment over. I know Jackson quotes the Bible and Walken shoves a watch up his rear end, and there's a suitcase full of macguffins that they're fighting over, but I'm most interested in this because of the clever dialogue that Tarantino writes. Both this and Reservoir Dogs are on my instant queue, so just say the word.

8. Chinatown - I didn't realize this was a must-see, but so many people upthread have included it that I figure I must be missing something. I really like Rosemary's Baby, and I'm willing to overlook the fact that the director is a rapist and judge the film on its own merits (of course, by the same token, his personal behavior should be judged on its own merits and not because of what films he's made, but that's a whole other conversation).

9. The Aviator - More from that Scorsese clown. This one isn't as much a must see as some of the others, but it's added shame because it's another one that I own but haven't seen (there's probably another five movies like that, but most of them are more obscure). I bought it for three bucks about four years ago when a local video store went out of business and I've never taken it out of the box.

10. Casablanca - Well, at least I’ve seen Citizen Kane, but AFI’s number 2 has escaped my notice. I can’t believe I didn’t think of this one right away- I was sitting here for a couple minutes trying to think of a number 10 to round out the list.

12. Superman - Not that shameful, but I've seen most of the major superhero movies, and this one's supposed to be the gold standard. I'd probably enjoy it except for Superman reversing time. :bang:

13. Duck Soup- Let’s lighten this list up with some comedy. I’ve never seen any Marx Brothers, but I did give this one a try. I have to say, though, that I gave up after about twenty minutes. It just wasn’t doing it for me. Something about the way Groucho was insulting people for no reason at all. It’s funny to watch a smart comedian take down someone who deserves it, less so when he’s doing it just to be a dick. Still, maybe I was too hasty. The political commentary that apparently shows up later sounds like my kind of humor.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

P.S. I may be absent for a few days, as I now have an inexplicable urge to shoot the president. Oh, hi FBI surveillance monitors!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Jurgan, you get Casablanca.

What the gently caress did I just watch? Tetsuo variously reminded of Alphaville with its impenetrable future world, Eraserhead with its bizarre soundtrack, Cronenberg's body horror and Guy Maddin's subversion of silent film aesthetics, but this thing is stranger than all of that stuff put together. I have no idea how I felt about the experience. I didn't dislike it but I certainly didn't love it. I appreciate the film's uniqueness but I doubt I'd want to watch it again.

Updated list:

Twenty-Four Eyes Never seen a Kinoshita film. Seems like the place to start.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10 , Lagaan 8.5/10 , The Warriors 8/10 , Être et avoir 9/10 , Punishment Park 7/10 , Traffic 8/10 , The Year of Living Dangerously 7.5/10 , Tetsuo ?/10

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy, although I'm not familiar with any of your choices, The Last Command looks interesting.

High and Low was another great Kurosawa movie. The expert dialogue and moral dilemma of the first half held the most emotional weight to me. The procedural aspect of the second half is remarkable, though. Whereas the original kidnap drama is all about building tension, when the focus shifts to a police investigation, action and exciting camerawork abound. Toshiro Mifune made an excellent translation from samurai to businessman for this role.

New list:

La Dolce Vita Cautiously adding this to my list after viewing 8½ - not that I didn't like it, but I wasn't blown away either

Prince of the City Knocked out Serpico and continuing on with the Lumet collection

Yojimbo Glaring omission from the Kurosawa and samurai sections

Bugsy Another gangster movie with a Morricone soundtrack, and more Warren Beatty

Watched:

Once Upon a Time in America 8.5/10 , The Sting 7.5/10 , MASH 7.5/10 , Ran 9/10 , The Big Sleep 9/10 , Army of Shadows 9.5/10 , On the Waterfront 9/10 , Fantastic Planet 8.5/10 , Annie Hall 9.5/10 , Barton Fink 9/10 , The 400 Blows 9/10 , La Grande Illusion 9.5/10 , Gandhi 8.5/10 , The Hill 8.5/10 , Manhattan 9/10 , The Host 8/10 , The Bicycle Thief 9/10 , The Asphalt Jungle 9/10 , The Insider 9/10 , Bringing Out the Dead 8/10 , 8.5/10 , The Abyss 8.5/10 , The Thin Blue Line 8.5/10 , Touch of Evil 8/10 , Glengarry Glen Ross 9/10 , The Wages of Fear 9.5/10 , Paris, Texas 8/10 , The Conversation 8/10 , Reds 8.5/10 , Fargo 9/10 , Pierrot Le Fou 7.5/10 , Blood Simple 8/10 , The Killing 8.5/10 , Inside Job 8.5/10 , Harakiri 9.5/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , High and Low 9/10

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Budhisattva posted:

Yojimbo Glaring omission from the Kurosawa and samurai sections

You get two Kurosawa in a row.

Get Carter was a lot better than I expected. I't very cold and brutal, Michael Caine's character revenge goes places where I think most American movies with similar premises are afraid to go. By the end of it, it's kinda hard to root for him as he clearly crosses the line from anti-hero to a full blown villain.In the end he even has an evil laugh, after he kills Eric. He is after rotten people who killed his brother, but he is probably more rotten than all of them together. Still I found myself drawn into it, and the movie is 70's and British as gently caress. The setting reminded me of the excellent Life on Mars tv show,(The British version of course) and I did notice that one of the thugs wears the exact same clothes as DCI Gene Hunt. Just go to show that they did their homework in capturing the style and way of life of the 1970's England.

My Shame List:

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three The original one.

Cape Fear I did not care much for the Scorsese remake. Hoping this will be better.

Through a Glass Darkly The first of the Chamber Trilogy.(Or whatever you call it)

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu, Serpico, Fantasia, Shane, Get Carter.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Electronico6 posted:

I feel like I haven't recommended a somewhat recent movie in a while. Also it's brilliant.

Blue Velvet: I'll admit, I wasn't as enthusiastically captivated by this as most of the world seems to be, but that's not to say I didn't enjoy it. It's pretty much the best Hardy Boys story ever composed, twisted and mature, but still strangely wholesome in its own way. If anything, it's certainly unique. There were a slew of great actors strutting their stuff (is there a bad movie with Brad Dourif?), with special props of course to Hopper, but Dean Stockwell was, forgive me, loving suave. There was a particular scene towards the beginning where Frank had just screwed Dorothy and left, and Jeffrey comes out of the closet to hold her. That sequence was so bizarrely composed, specifically where most of the frame is taken up by her face but you pretty much just see one eye and her mouth, somewhat upside-down. That's the kind of stuff I love in a Lynch movie: baffling yet somehow appropriate. 80/100

1. The Great Dictator: I've only seen two Chaplins (Gold Rush and Modern Times) and thoroughly adored them both.

2. The Color of Pomegranites: Not much of an idea of what to expect here, but a trusted friend of mine recommends it with the highest esteem.

3. Shane: I'm trying really hard to get through the majority of these classic Westerns.

4. Forbidden Planet: I feel especially bad about this because I am really into science fiction.

5. Nashville: There's got a lot of classic Altman I haven't seen.

6. The Hidden Fortress: Kurosawa movies tend to put me in a nice glow after watching one of his movies, and I gather that this one is no different.

7. In the Mood for Love: I have yet to react with any other fashion than complete adoration for all the Wong Kar Wai I've seen.

8. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans: Next highest on the They Shoot Pictures list.

9. Satantango: Lot of love floating around this forum for this movie.

10. Red River: I'm pretty sure I've seen this, but I was probably 6 or 7 and don't remember a thing about it.

Watched - The Godfather Part II, City of God, Paths of Glory, North by Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Fanny and Alexander, 8 1/2, The Rules of the Game, His Girl Friday, The Wages of Fear, Rashomon, Stroszek, The French Connection, Singin' in the Rain, Cries and Whispers, Grand Illusion, Gaslight, Aliens, Wild Strawberries, Scenes from a Marriage, M, Tokyo Story, Blue Velvet

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Kull, I'll always take the opportunity to recommend Altman, so go with Nashville

Ran was fantastic. The colors were vibrant, and the battle scenes here are the best I've ever seen. The acting was great, and the compositions of characters within the frames (particularly in the opening scenes) added a lot. This really is one of the most perfect films I've seen, and I would not change a thing. 5/5

Shadows
More Cassavetes..
Andrei Rublev
On the most lists. I know nothing about this other than that it is Tarkovsky and long.
Safe
Other Todd Haynes/Julianne Moore movie. This one sounds much better.
71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance
Haneke noooooo. Recommended to me earlier in this thread.
Winchester '73
I need some more Westerns.
Local Hero
Picked this up at a flea market a few days ago. Don't know much about it other than that I probably won't ever watch it unless someone here makes me.
Ugetsu
Next on TSPDT. I know nothing about it.
Syndromes and a Century
Next up on TSPDT's 21st Century list. I wasn't a big fan of Tropical Malady, so I'm not sure how I'll feel about this.
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
It's time I saw this, I love Herzog. And maybe Nic Cage a bit.
Witness for the Prosecution
Next on top 250. I know nothing about it.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TenSpadesBeTrump, watch Witness for the Prosecution.

The Last Command is a very good and watchable silent. Jannings gives a great performance and Sternberg photographs Evelyn Brent with the same adoration he would later heap on Dietrich. Together they are the heart of the film and the middle hour is a fantastic ride. The bookends are not quite so good, especially the conclusion that doesn't really make sense in context, although Sternberg directs the gently caress out of it. The entire von Sternberg silents Criterion set is a testament to his talent.

Updated list:

The Only Son Let's watch some more Ozu.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10 , Lagaan 8.5/10 , The Warriors 8/10 , Être et avoir 9/10 , Punishment Park 7/10 , Traffic 8/10 , The Year of Living Dangerously 7.5/10 , Tetsuo 7/10 , The Last Command 8.5/10

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Peaceful Anarchy, d10 says… Perceval le Gallois. Please tell me that if it's not better than that cheese-fest Excalibur, it's at least better than First Knight.

I just watched My Left Foot and I liked it, but it's a lot more episodic and desultory than I was expecting. The frame story was necessary to the ending, but it didn't stand very well on its own. It seemed like a lot of its events were only there to tonally match the preceding scene. Although he clearly overcame a gently caress of a lot of physical limitations, there's also not the sense that Christy conquered any of his mental demons. Hell, the ending shows him drinking and practically yelling at Mary to go out with him.

Still, Day-Lewis' performance was absolutely amazing. The amount of work he obviously put into the role just makes one's brain bleed to think about it. His performance makes the restaurant scene and the bar scene so uncomfortable that I was practically begging for a cutaway that just wouldn't come. Day-Lewis is probably the best argument for method acting that exists (although I still think going to such extreme lengths isn't necessary). It seems really wrong that Day-Lewis is out of character on the special edition DVD cover, like Miramax was afraid people wouldn't want to watch a movie where a guy has his face contorted on the cover or something.

EDIT: I just read up on Christy Brown. Holy poo poo did the movie leave a lot of important details out.

The Hunt For Red October; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; Rashomon; Clash of the Titans; Tron; Enter the Dragon; The Karate Kid; Raging Bull; Cool Hand Luke; High and Low; Amores perros; City of God; Grand Slam; Robocop; The Maltese Falcon; Casablanca; Laura; Full Metal Jacket; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Blue Velvet; Apocalypse Now; Tombstone; Natural Born Killers; Alien; Barton Fink; F for Fake; Boogie Nights; The Evil Dead; Annie Hall; Paris, Texas; Léon/The Professional; Amarcord; ; The 400 Blows; Do the Right Thing; Beauty and the Beast; Casino; American Graffiti; Death to Smoochy; Bram Stoker's Dracula; Serpico; Forbidden Planet; Au Revoir Les Enfants; Tremors; Vertigo; 12 Angry Men; Pierrot le Fou; Where Eagles Dare; Kagemusha; The Terminator; The Battleship Potemkin; The Bicycle Thief; The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; The Constant Gardener; Walkabout; 3:10 to Yuma; What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?; Aliens; Rain Man; Xich Lo; Akira; Jules et Jim; Johnny Guitar; Rocky Horror Picture Show; The Thin Blue Line; The Thin Red Line; Blackmail; Slacker; The Cook, the Thief, his Wife, and her Lover; Terminator 2; Blazing Saddles; The Thin Man; Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!; Sideways; Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia; L'Avventura; Gone With the Wind; Blue; White; Red; Primer; Schindler's List; Network; Beverly Hills Cop; Sweet Sweetback's Baadassss Song; A Night at the Opera; Celine and Julie Go Boating; Night of the Living Dead; Chinatown; Carlito's Way; Requiem for a Dream; The Holy Mountain; Strange Days; Kramer vs. Kramer; When Harry Met Sally…; Irréversible; Tampopo; The White Ribbon; Caro Diario; The Natural; Rosemary's Baby; Mishima; Strictly Ballroom; Splendor in the Grass; Das Boot; My Left Foot

An American Werewolf in London: All I know about this movie is it stars David Naughton, who is hilariously arrogant in old episodes of The $100,000 Pyramid. Also, werewolves. And London.
The Dead: I'm interested in the interplay between John and Anjelica Huston, even if they're on opposite sides of the camera.
Dead Man: It's the only Jarmusch film I've tried watching. I didn't make it all the way through. It deserves another chance.
Fish Tank: (2009) I do not know a thing about this movie except that everyone who sees it apparently thinks really, really hard about it afterward.
Kiss of the Spider Woman: Julia Carpenter's such a badass! I'm so excited about seeing this movie where Spider-Woman takes on such foes as Doc Ock and… This isn't what I think it is, is it?
Manhunter: I've seen Silence of the Lambs and Heat, but I'm pretty behind on Hannibal Lecter and Michael Mann.
Mon Oncle: I watched M. Hulot's Holiday recently and I greatly enjoyed it. I haven't seen anything else with Hulot and I'm pretty inexperienced with films about uncles.
Moonstruck: It's been too long since the last time I saw Nicolas Cage act the gently caress out of something new.
Raise the Red Lantern: Randomly-picked movie that coincides with my interest in Chinese cinema.
Uzak: :zombie: I've never seen a Turkish film.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 5, 2011

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

CloseFriend posted:

An American Werewolf in London: All I know about this movie is it stars David Naughton, who is hilariously arrogant in old episodes of The $100,000 Pyramid. Also, werewolves. And London.
Bah, I keep running into lists where I haven't seen any movies. However, you're going into this mostly blind (outside of an actor and possibly the entire plot being in the title), and that's always a fun way to see it.

Sin City is a beautiful movie to look at. Very nice take on an old genre mashed up with what basically is a comic book come to life. A little over the top, sometimes things don't seem to mash up practically, but the film caters to its own world and did a great job of bringing me in. It doesn't hurt that the three stories were interesting and the three main actors of those stories did an outstanding job. Strong film.

New List:

1. Wayne's World - I forgot I'd never seen this.

2. Barton Fink - No Country will be put up after I see Slumdog so I figure might as well put an early Coen movie up here since Fargo interested me in them enough.

3. V for Vendetta - I've always associated it with Sin City although now that I've seen Sin City it's probably much different.

4. Slumdog Millionaire - Most recent best picture movie I haven't seen. I have heard great things about this movie.

5. Rebecca - Hitchcock's best picture film. Like most everything else that's not recent on this list, I'm going in blind.

6. A Streetcar Named Desire - More Brando I haven't seen.

7. Stand by Me - Seems to be liked by everyone I know. What I know is that it's supposed to be a Goonies-esque coming of age type of adventure movie.

8. City Lights - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen and a nice reappearance of Chaplin.

9. Wild Strawberries - Have never seen a Bergman film (I know, I know).

10. Rashomon - Another Kurosawa classic.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10, Harvey 6/10, Nikita 5.5/10, Yojimbo 8/10, How to Train Your Dragon 7.5/10, To Kill a Mockingbird 10/10, This is Spinal Tap 11/11, Fargo 8/10, Sin City 8.5/10

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

marioinblack posted:

1. Wayne's World - I forgot I'd never seen this.

Out of the darkness, and into the light. The goofy, goofy light.

I now have even less of an idea why I didn't finish Taxi Driver the first time around; from the opening shot's stage magician reveal, this one had a hook in me any way I turned. I'm not much good at these egghead analyses, but I can tell you this: as I saw it, Bickle's breakdown started a long time before the film did, and those parts may have been tightened by the end, but they're still loose.

Okay, so:

- So universally 'flawless', I've half-hated it for years on pure gut instinct.

Tokyo Story - The very first film I searched for and added to my Netflix instant queue when I signed up some-odd years ago... and there it remains to this day.

Metropolis - No explanation available.

Full Metal Jacket - So frequently referenced, I feel like I've already seen it.

Memento - Had the ending spoiled, but maybe the journey's still worth taking.

The 400 Blows - Seems like it should be in the same boat as , but somehow, I still hold out hope for it.

Shane - Just never really had an opportunity, that I recall.

Koyaanisqatsi - A love-hate coin toss that I've been leery of actually making.

Delicatessen - I can't seem to remember this film exists unless it's staring me in the face.

Raging Bull - Come to think of it, have I ever watched a Scorcese movie?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Metropolis - No explanation available.

I think a long side Casablanca, this is one of those movies that everyone should really see, before anything else.

Grizzly Man was a very strange movie. I thought it was going to be something very different, but it was mesmerizing from start to finish. And you get Herzog being a fatalist through out.(So this is where the quote "I believe in chaos, destruction and murder" comes from)
I did laugh at Treadwell, cause he was a crazy dude living with grizzly bears, and Treadwell, like Herzog describes, was a real character. This person who loves bears and other woodland creatures, hates civilization and his oblivious to the real dangers of living among Grizzly bears. Seeing him chase a fox that stole his cap is extremely funny and charming. But at the same time it's very sad. You realize that this was a sick man, who at a point of his life lost all notion of reality. His strange and rambling monologues about God, girls and his tirade against the park regulations, all show that there was something more wrong with Timothy than his will to go to the middle of the bears. And ultimately it's a very tragic and depressing tale, as he got killed by a bear, a creature that he was defending, and most of all his girlfriend died with him, trying to, as Herzog puts it, inexplicably save Treadwell.

The staged interviews to feel weird, especially any scene with the coroner(where did he find this guy?) I did find them to be the point. Despite what Herzog thought of Treadwell, he respected him as a filmmaker and he tried to make the interviews in a way that Treadwell saw the civilized world. Very fake, very staged, while nature is the real and beautiful world. There is some amazing nature shots in this movie, stuff that even professional documentary crews fail to capture.

My Shame List:

This Film Is Not Yet Rated A look into that sordid affair that is the film rating boards

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu, Serpico, Fantasia, Shane, Get Carter, Grizzly Man.

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

Electronico6, check out Bonnie and Clyde.

I wish I could have seen Yojimbo before A Fistful of Dollars because there are a number of scenes mirrored shot-for-shot, giving me the feeling I had seen the movie before. That's the reason I ignored it for so long, which was surely a mistake. Kurosawa has a fantastic eye for composition that's evident in all the movies I've seen so far. In Yojimbo, Mifune once again captures the role of a give-no-fucks samurai perfectly, leading two clans against each other without becoming attached to either of them. Great scenes throughout, and I look forward to seeing Sanjuro.

New list:

Watched:

Once Upon a Time in America 8.5/10 , The Sting 7.5/10 , MASH 7.5/10 , Ran 9/10 , The Big Sleep 9/10 , Army of Shadows 9.5/10 , On the Waterfront 9/10 , Fantastic Planet 8.5/10 , Annie Hall 9.5/10 , Barton Fink 9/10 , The 400 Blows 9/10 , La Grande Illusion 9.5/10 , Gandhi 8.5/10 , The Hill 8.5/10 , Manhattan 9/10 , The Host 8/10 , The Bicycle Thief 9/10 , The Asphalt Jungle 9/10 , The Insider 9/10 , Bringing Out the Dead 8/10 , 8.5/10 , The Abyss 8.5/10 , The Thin Blue Line 8.5/10 , Touch of Evil 8/10 , Glengarry Glen Ross 9/10 , The Wages of Fear 9.5/10 , Paris, Texas 8/10 , The Conversation 8/10 , Reds 8.5/10 , Fargo 9/10 , Pierrot Le Fou 7.5/10 , Blood Simple 8/10 , The Killing 8.5/10 , Inside Job 8.5/10 , Harakiri 9.5/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , High and Low 9/10 , Yojimbo 9.5/10

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Budhisattva, go with The White Ribbon

Lady Vengeance was just a good revenge story. I liked the non-linear aspect to it in the jail, as well as the themes of revenge and dealing with guilt. Park Chan-Wook hasn't let me down yet.

1) Carrie- still working through the horror list
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
3) The Iron Giant- I need to watch more animation and I hear this is heart wrenching
4) Battleship Potemkin- I've only seen silent comedies and it's time to expand my horizons. This seems like essential viewing
5) Rififi- I've put this off long enough
6) The 400 Blows- I need to see this before I embarrass myself further
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Pale Flower- this looks interesting
9) Sherlock Jr.- let's keep the Keaton going
10) Winchester '73- let's watch some more Anthony Mann

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Birds, Pan's Labyrinth, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Rashomon, Amelie, Wild Strawberries, Les Diaboliques, The Furies, It's A Wonderful Life, Network, Metropolis, Lady Vengeance

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mistletoe Donkey, Sherlock Jr. it is.

Perceval le Gallois was certainly something unique. Yes, it was better than Excalibur and Lancelot du Lac, though neither is a big achievement, and while I enjoyed it I would not recommend it without some reservations. For starters this is completely unlike any other Rohmer films. I thought The Marquise of O was the oddball of his filmography, but that one still has his dialogue and visual style, even if the setting is different from the contemporary social interaction films he's known for. Perceval is a sort of filmed play full of bright colours and obvious sets, with poetic dialogue and an abstract sense of reality. I was tempted to just post a bunch of screenshots instead of a review because the visual style is such a big part of the film. Actually I'll do that anyway.

Ostensibly the film is about Perceval's discovery of knighthood and his rise to prominence in that field, winning battles and seducing damsels. The narrative is secondaryto the style, though, as the film's lyrical quality constantly asserts itself with soliloquies, asides, Greek choruses, rhyming dialogue, and of course the visuals. As far as I can make out the underlying theme is faith and honour, brought home by an ending that I found kind of disappointing. This isn't a proper review because I'm still not quite sure what to make of the whole thing. Yeah I liked it, I'll probably watch it again some day, but it's not without faults. As an irrelevant aside it was fun seeing a whole bunch of actors and actresses who would become his regular players in his 80s films.

Updated list:

Pale Flower Now that this is finally out I should give it a look.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10 , Lagaan 8.5/10 , The Warriors 8/10 , Être et avoir 9/10 , Punishment Park 7/10 , Traffic 8/10 , The Year of Living Dangerously 7.5/10 , Tetsuo 7/10 , The Last Command 8.5/10 , Perceval le Gallois 8/10

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Peaceful Anarchy, you get Pale Flower because it's on my list too

Once again, Buster Keaton doesn't disappoint. I really enjoyed Sherlock Jr. It did feel a little looser than the other Keaton I have seen, nut I still laughed out loud and most parts of it. I don't know what it is, but that guy kills me.

1) Carrie- still working through the horror list
2) The Asphalt Jungle- love those heist films
3) The Iron Giant- I need to watch more animation and I hear this is heart wrenching
4) Battleship Potemkin- I've only seen silent comedies and it's time to expand my horizons. This seems like essential viewing
5) Rififi- I've put this off long enough
6) The 400 Blows- I need to see this before I embarrass myself further
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Pale Flower- this looks interesting
9) Modern Times- the last of the "big" Chaplin films I need to see
10) Winchester '73- let's watch some more Anthony Mann

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Birds, Pan's Labyrinth, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Rashomon, Amelie, Wild Strawberries, Les Diaboliques, The Furies, It's A Wonderful Life, Network, Metropolis, Lady Vengeance, Sherlock Jr.,

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Mistletoe Donkey, watch The 400 Blows.

Witness for the Prosecution was a good mystery, with the twists perfectly placed along the way. Laughton was great, and had most of the best dialogue. The final few twists were quite surprising. 4.5/5

Also watched Winchester '73. The gimmick of following the rifle from owner to owner was entertaining, and the shootout with the Indians was very well done. 4/5

Shadows
More Cassavetes..
Andrei Rublev
On the most lists. I know nothing about this other than that it is Tarkovsky and long.
Safe
Local Hero
Picked this up at a flea market a few days ago. Don't know much about it other than that I probably won't ever watch it unless someone here makes me.
Ugetsu
Syndromes and a Century
Next up on TSPDT's 21st Century list. I wasn't a big fan of Tropical Malady, so I'm not sure how I'll feel about this.
Diabolique
I know the ending, but I'm still looking forward to this.
Fanny and Alexander
One I've wanted to see for a long time.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Local Hero

Guess what, I'm making you. It's a nice film, the sort you feel happy while watching. Also, the line "Harper is a motherfucker" is one of those earworms that randomly pops up in my head from time to time.

Well, I don't know why I was so sure James Stewart would be in North by Northwest, because he certainly wasn't. Then I thought it was Gregory Peck playing the lead role, but of course it's Cary Grant . I definitely need to read up on my classic Hollywood stars. The film itself was really good, the suspense was masterfully controlled throughout the entire length of the story. Could very well be one of my favorite Hitchcock movies.

1. Trafic - I've seen Mr Hulot's Holiday and Playtime, but never this. My grandma's a big fan, so I really should.

2. Persona - I saw this once when I was 14-15, but I can't remember anything other than that I really disliked it. Would like to give it another chance.

3. Mccabe & Mrs Miller - I think I saw someone raving about it in this thread, otherwise I know nothing about it.

4. City of God - Don't know why I haven't already, the premise sounds really interesting and I've heard only good things about it.

5. The Departed - I caught a few minutes of this on tv and it just didn't seem like my cup of tea. The only Scorsese I've seen is Taxi Driver and Goodfellas.

6. Predator - It just feels like I should have seen this, I love 80's action.

7. Punch Drunk Love - This and Hard Eight are the only P T Anderson movies I haven't seen.

8. Modern Times - I loved The Great Dictator, so I don't know why I haven't seen more of Chaplin's full-length movies. Feel free to recommend City Lights if you like that one better.

9. Easy Rider - This just seems like such a cool movie.

10. A Streetcar Named Desire - I started watching this once, but halfway through I managed to slice my palm open with a fruit knife and had to leave to get stitches. Now I just associate it with bad memories.

Have seen: Chinatown, North By Northwest

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Admiral Goodenough, a lot of people rave about McCabe and Ms Miller, and for good reason.

Local Hero was a nice lighthearted drama. Nothing too exceptional about it. The "Mr. Happer is a motherfucker" line was the best laugh. 3.5/5

Shadows
More Cassavetes..
Andrei Rublev
Safe
Ugetsu
Syndromes and a Century
Diabolique
Fanny and Alexander
One I've wanted to see for a long time.
Umberto D.
No reason

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TenSpadesBeTrump, you get to marvel at the magnificence of Fanny and Alexander.

I hate to say it but Pale Flower was a bit of a disappointment. It starts off great with a wonderfully shot and paced gambling scene, and captures that magic a few times throughout, but mostly it just feels aimless. The lead character has an aura of cool around him, but he just isn't very interesting to follow and everyone else may as well be a blank slate. Even the femme fatale is only theoretically intriguing. I see why she's supposed to be so interesting, but I don't feel it. And for a film that relies so much on mood and style, its inability to make me feel much of anything is a problem. Still, it does have some great scenes and if it had grabbed me I'd be singing its praises.

Updated list:

Red Angel Criticker says I'll love it and I've never seen a Masumura film.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10 Kings of the Road 8.5/10 , Farewell My Concubine 7.5/10 , Dodesukaden 10/10 , The Shootist 7/10 , Goodbye Lenin 9.5/10 , La hora de los hornos 9/10 , The Traveling Players 5/10 , Reds 9/10 , Werckmeister Harmonies 9/10 , Five Fingers of Death 8/10 , Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler 9/10 , Ong-bak 7.5/10 , The Devils 8.5/10 , Nostalghia 8/10 , Killer's Kiss 8.5/10 , Koyaanisqatsi 8.5/10 , Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo 9.5/10 , The Cove 9/10 , America, America 8.5/10 , Pour la suite du monde 5/10 , Lilja 4-ever 9/10 , The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover 7/10 , Burma VJ 8.5/10 , The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 8.5/10 , Europa '51 9/10 , The Killers 9/10 , The Killers 7/10 , Pursued 8.5/10 , Pelle the Conqueror 8/10 , Brink of Life 9/10 , Fear and Desire 4/10 , The Naked Spur 6/10 , Stroszek 8.5/10 , Beau Travail 8/10 , Kanal 9/10 Field of Dreams 6/10 , Mishima 7/10 , Novecento 7/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , Floating Weeds 8.5/10, Heaven's Gate 8.5/10 , Days and Nights in the Forest 9/10 The War of The Worlds 6.5/10 , Fallen Angels 9/10 , The Crucified Lovers 8.5/10 , Sanxia haoren 8.5/10 , Fantomas 8.5/10 , The Ballad of Cable Hogue 9.5/10 , <---> 6/10 , The Devil and Daniel Webster 8.5/10 , Basic Instinct 8/10, Babette's Feast 5/10 , Wuthering Heights 8/10 , The Saragossa Manuscript 9.5/10 , The Public Enemy 7.5/10 , This Sporting Life 8.5/10 , A Nightmare on Elm Street 7/10 , Sans toit ni loi 9.5/10 Tales of Hoffman 7.5/10 , The Ten Commandments 7/10 , Underworld 8.5/10 , Showgirls 7/10 , La meglio gioventù 8/10 , Vidas Secas 7/10 , The Sorrow and the Pity 9/10 , The Human Condition I 9.5/10 , Russian Ark 8.5/10 , Brighton Rock 8.5/10 , Grey Gardens 9.5/10 , The Marriage of Maria Braun 9/10 , Tampopo 7/10 , Django 8.5/10 , Ballad of Narayama 8.5/10 , Baby Face 8/10 , David Holzman's Diary 8/10 , The Seventh Victim 8/10 , The Blue Kite 9/10 , Soylent Green 8/10 , Flesh and the Devil 9.5/10 , Branded to Kill 6.5/10 , The Golem 7.5/10 , A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies 9.5/10 , Ryan's Daughter 7/10 , 8 Diagram Pole Fighter 8.5/10 , Fiddler on the Roof 7/10 , American Movie 9/10 , The Longest Day 6/10 , Mephisto 9/10 , Barbarella 6/10 , Fast, Cheap & Out of Control 8.5/10 , The Room 1/10 , D.O.A. 9/10 , Cross of Iron 9.5/10 , Manila in the Claws of Neon 9.5/10 , He Who Gets Slapped 9.5/10 , Les amants du Pont-Neuf 9.5/10 , Coal Miner's Daughter 7.5/10 , You, the Living 8.5/10 , Head-On 9.5/10 , A Brighter Summer Day 8.5/10 , The White Ribbon 9/10 , The Color Purple 6/10 , Husbands 8/10 , Cabiria 5/10 , Drunken Master 8/10 , The Hawks and the Sparrows 9/10 , Offret 8/10 , El Topo 6/10 , House of Wax 8/10 , Yeelen 8.5/10 , Yesterday Girl 7.5/10 , Cleopatra 7/10 , Die freudlose Gasse 9.5/10 , Cat on a Hot Tin Roof 9.5/10 , The Pawnbroker 9/10 , El Sol del membrillo 9/10 , Spione 9.5/10 , Subarnarekha 9/10 , Salt of the Earth 5/10 , Stage Door 8/10 , Altered States 8/10 , Klute 8.5/10 , American Gigolo 8/10 , Dance, Girl, Dance 9.5/10 , Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 7.5/10 Les misérables 6/10 , Paris nous appartient 8.5/10 , Romeo and Juliet 6/10 , It 9/10 , Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray 9/10 , The Ascent 9/10 , Crippled Avengers 8.5/10 , The Last Seduction 8.5/10 , The Red and the White 7/10 , India Song 6/10 , Mother India 8/10 , An Angel At My Table 8.5/10 , Valerie and Her Week of Wonders 9/10 , O Lucky Man 9/10 , The Andromeda Strain 8.5/10 , The Thing with Two Heads 6/10 , The One-Armed Swordsman 8/10 , La grande guerra 9/10 ,Vamos a matar, compañeros 8.5/10 , Muerte de un ciclista 9.5/10 , Un homme et une femme 10/10 , Plein soleil 8.5/10 , By The Law 9.5/10 , Porgy and Bess 6/10 , Humanity and Paper Balloons 9/10 , Fat Girl 8.5/10 , Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son 5/10 , Zulu 6/10 , The Jazz Singer 8/10 , Blue 8.5/10 , Zero Kelvin 8/10 , Un coeur en hiver 9/10 , Yama no oto 9/10, Highlander 3/10 , Lagaan 8.5/10 , The Warriors 8/10 , Être et avoir 9/10 , Punishment Park 7/10 , Traffic 8/10 , The Year of Living Dangerously 7.5/10 , Tetsuo 7/10 , The Last Command 8.5/10 , Perceval le Gallois 8/10 , Pale Flower 7/10

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It looks like Badlands won't be getting here for a while, if ever, so here's a review of another from my Shame list.

Winter Light

Ingmar Bergman, at the film's premiere, delivered a foreword to the audience outlining his apprehension that the audience would fail to understand the film, or not walk away with "a definite felt experience or a suddenly acquired thought". This is, perhaps, understandable for 1963, when the serious doubt of God had yet to permeate the public. But Winter Light has not lost any power in the intervening, variously brain-widening and brain-shrinking years. Even having been raised as an atheist the film is enormously impacting. Usually I'm totally ignorant of religious tones in media (a good portion of Brideshead Revisited went over my head), and by totally I mean completely and utterly, but Bergman is such a clear communicator, particularly in this film, that for the first time since Ordet I made a strong step in really understanding what it's all about. Ironically, Winter Light is about just the opposite. For such a short, sparse film, Bergman manages to pack it about as densely as he can, not necessarily with symbolism but with pure meaning and depth. Visually, it's incredibly beautiful in a sparse sort of way, I could look at it forever. A new favorite Bergman and probably new favorite film.

10/10

SHAAAAAAME

1) Howards End - I'm going to watch every Criterion Blu-Ray, dammit, no matter how boring they look.

2) Hiroshima mon amour - I was perplexed by but really loved Last Year At Marienbad. I'm not really sure what this is about but it's the most interesting-looking movie next on TSPDT.

3) All About Eve - Well, Netflix doesn't have the Blu-Ray, but it's next on TSPDT and I've heard good things.

4) Secret Honor - I love Robert Altman and I love Richard Nixon (as a subject), and I've heard endless good things about this.

5) Viridiana - Next on the TSPDT list. I've only seen two Buñuels, one I was too dumb to appreciate at the time and the other I loved.

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Bringing Up Baby - My film professor told me to watch this once and I didn't for some reason. Apparently it has Cary Grant and a baby tiger?

9) The Wrong Man - More Hitchcock. I don't know much about this, even about the real-life case. I do remember Hitchcock and Truffaut arguing about a shot in which Fonda spins on a stool in his cell.

10) The Silence - Part 3 in a Bergman trilogy.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10, Lawrence Of Arabia 8.5/10, Dial M For Murder, 8/10 Winter Light 10/10 (total: 36)

on hold (?) - badlands

Peaceful Anarchy, enjoy Riget. Do, really, it's excellent.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

10) The Silence - Part 3 in a Bergman trilogy.

Finish up on the trilogy.

Talking about Bonnie and Clyde is complicated. When I finished watching it, I thought I enjoyed it, but when I got in here I spent over 20 minutes thinking of something to say other than "Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty are a joy to watch". I liked both actors but I'm not sure I cared that much for the rest of the piece.

My Shame List:

Gone with the Wind It's so long...

This Film Is Not Yet Rated A look into that sordid affair that is the film rating boards

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu, Serpico, Fantasia, Shane, Get Carter, Grizzly Man, Bonnie and Clyde.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
Electronico, To Kill a Mockingbird is pretty much a perfect movie-ization of the book, so it's hard to say which one is "better."

Requiem for a Dream - I really dug this movie. I went into it thinking it was going to be another heroin movie. But as the movie went on, I realized it was less about heroin and more about addictions in general and how they shape people's lives. This, coupled with the great acting, cinematography, editing, etc. makes me realize why it is considered such a classic.

New List:
1. The Usual Suspects - I guess this is one of those underground hits that managed to pass me by.
2. Garden State - I always thought this would be a quick and easy movie that I might enjoy.
3. Any of the Star Trek films - Are there any in particular that I should see?
4. Die Hard - I dunno...it slipped through somehow.
5. The Fly(original and remake) -Never really got around to either of them. The fact I am such a nerd for this genre of film only deepens my shame.
6. Mad Max 2 - It may not even be fair to say I've seen the 1st one, but I've heard the 2nd one is where it's at.
7. Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Everyone I've talked to liked it.
8. Rear Window - I heard it compared to Disturbia once which kinda turned me off.
9. Let Me In - I loved the Swedish original and I heard good things about this American remake.
10. Eyes Wide Shut - It's next on my list of Kubrick movies.

No longer ashamed:
Taxi Driver (4.5,5), Casablanca (2.5/5), The Godfather (4/5), The Good the Bad and the Ugly(4.5/5), 12 Angry Men(4.5/5), The Godfather, part II (3.5/5), Memento(4.5/5), Raging Bull (4/5), The Crazies (4/5), M(2.5/5), Barton Fink(4.5/5), Requiem for a Dream(4.5/5)

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Treebeh posted:

4. Die Hard - I dunno...it slipped through somehow.
This is my favorite action movie ever. I watch it every Christmas, and I'm finally happy to recommend a movie I love so much.

Wayne's World did gave me a ton of 90's flashbacks if nothing else. It was fairly strong all around, but just misses out on being a great comedy. Still worth its watch, and the Robert Patrick scene absolutely killed me.

I also watched A Streetcar Named Desire, and it's the first movie I've seen in this thread I really didn't like at all. I never got into it and while the acting is great, the story didn't compel me enough. Felt completely average all around for me at least so I'll drop the most middling of all the scores on it.

New List:

1. Fast Times at Ridgemont High - All I know is a bunch of Best Actor's came out of this film.

2. Barton Fink - No Country will be put up after I see Slumdog so I figure might as well put an early Coen movie up here since Fargo interested me in them enough.

3. V for Vendetta - I've always associated it with Sin City although now that I've seen Sin City it's probably much different.

4. Slumdog Millionaire - Most recent best picture movie I haven't seen. I have heard great things about this movie.

5. Rebecca - Hitchcock's best picture film. Like most everything else that's not recent on this list, I'm going in blind.

6. The Graduate - All I knew is Dustin Hoffman, "Mrs. Robinson are you trying to seduce me", and Simon and Garfunkel.

7. Stand by Me - Seems to be liked by everyone I know. What I know is that it's supposed to be a Goonies-esque coming of age type of adventure movie.

8. City Lights - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen and a nice reappearance of Chaplin.

9. Wild Strawberries - Have never seen a Bergman film (I know, I know).

10. Rashomon - Another Kurosawa classic.

Watched: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10, Harvey 6/10, Nikita 5.5/10, Yojimbo 8/10, How to Train Your Dragon 7.5/10, To Kill a Mockingbird 10/10, This is Spinal Tap 11/11, Fargo 8/10, Sin City 8.5/10, Wayne's World 7/10, A Streetcar Named Desire 5/10

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Marioinblack, I'd say that Barton Fink is the Coens' greatest film. Watch that.

By far Double Indemnity is the greatest Noir I've yet to see. I enjoyed it a great deal more than The Big Sleep or even The Maltese Falcon, and it took awhile to get sucked into, but by the time I had I was in deep. Also, I think this might have been the first Wilder I've seen as well. Great film.

#65 The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Promised a friend I'd watch this eventually. This is the first one in the series, right?

#66 The Conversation - This is supposed to be right after Apocalypse Now and The Godfather for Coppola's best so let's have at it.

#69 Man On Wire - Been meaning to watch this for a good while.

#74 A Hard Day's Night - I do like The Beatles, and this is actually supposed to be really good.

#76 The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover - This seems like it's up my alley.

#77 Bronson - I've been wanting to watch it for awhile now, but it looks like I'm not going to without that extra push.

#78 Rio Bravo - John Wayne was a terrible bigot. That's about my reasoning. Won't let that get in the way of some great films.

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth, The Wild Bunch, The Warriors, Chinatown, Dr. Strangelove, American History X, Barton Fink, Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, The Maltese Falcon, Annie Hall, Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Casablanca, M, Seven Samurai, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Godfather, The Seventh Seal, Mulholland Drive, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Silence Of The Lambs, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Wild Strawberries, High Fidelity, Goldfinger, The Bicycle Thief, The Thing, Bonnie And Clyde, There Will Be Blood, 8½, Spirited Away, The Big Sleep, A Fish Called Wanda, The Man Who Wasn't There, 12 Angry Men, The Elephant Man, Once Upon A Time In The West, Moon, The 400 Blows, Rosemary's Baby, City Of God, Dog Day Afternoon, Breathless, Saving Private Ryan, Network, Persona, Mean Streets, Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, The Rules Of The Game, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Killing, Punch-Drunk Love, Rebecca, La Strada, Bowling For Columbine, The Virgin Spring, Wild At Heart, Mad Max, Enter The Dragon, Aliens, Man Bites Dog, The Magnificent Seven, Peeping Tom, Labyrinth, I Am Cuba, Double Indemnity

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
TrixRabbi, Man on Wire is very good.

Holy poo poo, Fanny and Alexander was amazing. I'm upset that I watched the short version, as I could tell that there was still a lot missing. As it was, this seemed like the shortest 3 our movie I've seen. Utterly magnificent. When I see the full version I have no doubt that this will become one of my favorite movies of all time. 5/5

Shadows
More Cassavetes..
Andrei Rublev
Safe
Ugetsu
Syndromes and a Century
Diabolique
Umberto D.
No reason
Smile of a Summer Night
Some more Bergman.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Diabolique

It gives Hitchcock a run for it's money.

To Kill a MockingBird is a tremendous adaptation, but more important, it stands out on his own. It captures the idea of the book, and Peck takes Atticus character and makes it memorable. I do remember the book being much more "lighter", the movie did feel very grim and dark(no thanks to the B&W photography) but I can live with it. Gregory Peck is amazing, especially during the courtroom scenes, but yeah Peter O'Toole is still the best of that year.

My Shame List:

Gone with the Wind It's so long...

The Name of the Rose Sean Connery monk Detective.

Have seen so far: Mulholland Drive, The Departed, 2001:A Space Odyssey, M, The Trial, Vertigo, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, On the Waterfront, Magnolia, Brazil, Days of Heaven, The Shining, Throne of Blood, The Searchers, La Grand Illusion, Ladri di Biciclette, Tokyo Story, À bout de souffle, Once Upon a Time in America, Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, Boogie Nights, The Wild Bunch, Dial M for Murder, Network, La Dolce Vita, American: The Bill Hicks Story, Le Samouraï, Bande à Part, Solaris, Singin' in the rain, Infernal Affairs, Notorious, The Maltese Falcon, Touch of Evil, Some Like it Hot, High and Low, To Catch a Thief, Modern times, The Bad Sleep Well, In the Mood for Love, The Apartment, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Punch Drunk Love, Stalag 17, Dog Day Afternoon, It's a Wonderful Life, Forbidden Planet, Double Indemnity, Gojira, Woyzeck, Badlands, The Night of the Hunter, M*A*S*H, Lady from Shanghai, The Big Sleep, History of Violence, The Treasure of Sierra Madre, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Great Dictator, LA Confidential, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Django, Strangers on a Train, The French Connection, North by Northwest, The King of Comedy, The Graduate, The Asphalt Jungle, A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, The Seventh Seal, Persona, A Woman Under the Influence, Star Trek II:Wrath of Khan, The Conversation, La Règle du Jeu, Serpico, Fantasia, Shane, Get Carter, Grizzly Man, Bonnie and Clyde, To Kill a Mockingbird.

Budhisattva
May 22, 2005

Electronico6, you seem to like Kurosawa, so try Stray Dog.

The White Ribbon could have done a much better job at distilling its message. The black-and-white visual aspect of the film was effective at contributing to the mood of repression, the absence of joy in the town. However, the plot's slow pace combined with a lengthy runtime compelled me to boredom. By the end of the movie, I had something to think about, but didn't feel especially rewarded for the amount of time it required to get there.

New list:

La Dolce Vita Cautiously adding this to my list after viewing 8½ - not that I didn't like it, but I wasn't blown away, either

Sanjuro Continuing the story of "30 year-old mulberry field"

Hud Filling a hole in the western genre

The French Connection A 70's classic

Prince of the City Epic-length crime film, and the second-to-last in my Lumet queue

The Grifters Yet another kind of noir, not quite sure about this one...

Bugsy Another gangster movie with Morricone soundtrack

Watched:

Once Upon a Time in America 8.5/10 , The Sting 7.5/10 , MASH 7.5/10 , Ran 9/10 , The Big Sleep 9/10 , Army of Shadows 9.5/10 , On the Waterfront 9/10 , Fantastic Planet 8.5/10 , Annie Hall 9.5/10 , Barton Fink 9/10 , The 400 Blows 9/10 , La Grande Illusion 9.5/10 , Gandhi 8.5/10 , The Hill 8.5/10 , Manhattan 9/10 , The Host 8/10 , The Bicycle Thief 9/10 , The Asphalt Jungle 9/10 , The Insider 9/10 , Bringing Out the Dead 8/10 , 8.5/10 , The Abyss 8.5/10 , The Thin Blue Line 8.5/10 , Touch of Evil 8/10 , Glengarry Glen Ross 9/10 , The Wages of Fear 9.5/10 , Paris, Texas 8/10 , The Conversation 8/10 , Reds 8.5/10 , Fargo 9/10 , Pierrot Le Fou 7.5/10 , Blood Simple 8/10 , The Killing 8.5/10 , Inside Job 8.5/10 , Harakiri 9.5/10 , A Face in the Crowd 9/10 , High and Low 9/10 , Yojimbo 9.5/10 , The White Ribbon 7.5/10

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Budhisattva, The French Connection is necessary viewing.

Grave of the Fireflies - This movie made me feel nothing. I'm not a cold-hearted person, but I wasn't sad or moved or touched or anything like so many others seem to have been. All I could notice was how the movie was TELLING ME I needed to feel sad, and it's hard for me to feel genuine emotion when the movie is so clearly manipulative. And maybe I've been spoiled by the gorgeous Miyazaki films, but I didn't even find the animation especially nice. Given this film's reputation, this was quite a disappointment. 67/100
New list:

Cinema Paradiso - I know very little about this.

The Apartment - I've seen two Wilder films and I love them both. So I'm sure I'll like this too.

On the Waterfront - I like Marlon Brando, so I have no hesitation to see this.

Witness for the Prosecution - I know nothing about this one.

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - One of my favorite films ever is Nosferatu, yet it remains the only Murnau film I've seen.

The Grapes of Wrath - Sounds great. It's just never been on my radar.

The Kid - More Chaplin I need to see.

Ben-Hur - I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to this one very much. Looks a tad hokey from the little I've seen, and it's very long.

The Wages of Fear - Clouzot impressed the hell out of me with Diabolique. Let's see if he can top himself.

The Secret in their eyes - Mark this one as another I have absolutely no clue about.

Watched (scores out of 100):
12 Angry Men(96) All About Eve(85) Spirited Away(85) Once Upon a Time in the West(95) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington(85) The Bridge on the River Kwai(94) Touch of Evil(89) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre(93) Princess Mononoke(72) Life is Beautiful(91) Ran(92) Das Boot(92) Downfall(70) It Happened One Night(77) Cool Hand Luke(90) The Great Dictator(82) Grave of the Fireflies(67)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Caiman, watch Sunrise.

Man On Wire was good, although it really comes together once he finally makes the walk. Seeing the payoff puts the whole film in a better light.

#78 Rio Bravo - John Wayne was a terrible bigot. That's about my reasoning. Won't let that get in the way of some great films.

#79 Malcolm X - I read his autobiography not too long ago, so I'm interested to see how it gets dramatized. Also, it's over 3 hours long so that's kind of holding me back.

Seen so far:
Pan's Labyrinth, The Wild Bunch, The Warriors, Chinatown, Dr. Strangelove, American History X, Barton Fink, Apocalypse Now, Eraserhead, The Maltese Falcon, Annie Hall, Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?, Casablanca, M, Seven Samurai, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, The Godfather, The Seventh Seal, Mulholland Drive, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Silence Of The Lambs, Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid, Wild Strawberries, High Fidelity, Goldfinger, The Bicycle Thief, The Thing, Bonnie And Clyde, There Will Be Blood, 8½, Spirited Away, The Big Sleep, A Fish Called Wanda, The Man Who Wasn't There, 12 Angry Men, The Elephant Man, Once Upon A Time In The West, Moon, The 400 Blows, Rosemary's Baby, City Of God, Dog Day Afternoon, Breathless, Saving Private Ryan, Network, Persona, Mean Streets, Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song, The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, The Rules Of The Game, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Killing, Punch-Drunk Love, Rebecca, La Strada, Bowling For Columbine, The Virgin Spring, Wild At Heart, Mad Max, Enter The Dragon, Aliens, Man Bites Dog, The Magnificent Seven, Peeping Tom, Labyrinth, I Am Cuba, Double Indemnity, Man On Wire