Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Oh, come now: F.I.S.T.O. wasn't all that bad. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I can't feel my legs!

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Moldy Meatball posted:

Do it. It'll give death by hugs a whole new meaning! :downsrim:

Second.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Jan posted:

I can't feel my legs!
"That all you got, robot? :shepface:" is one of my personal favorite lines in the game.

Safety Hammer
Sep 14, 2007

Cubemario posted:

I meant custom player models with custom rigs and entirely different appearances. Maybe it's been done on some level with MMM in FO3 and I don't remember. I suppose it's uncommon for the reasons you said.

I sometimes forget games are far more complicated than back in the days of UT where custom player models and the like were commonplace.

This is theoretically possible; they would have to add stuff to the skeleton for the bouncing tit mods. I know how to model, rig, and animate stuff, I just have no clue how to get it from MAX to NV. All I know is that the animation files are some kind of .kf file. I can't seem to find any documentation on naming hierarchy or what to do to make the game use custom animations.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I am going to resume my hideout mod to replace Underground Hideout since the addition of poo poo noises have now pushed that mod into unusable territory for me. Not to mention that the whole hideout brings my framerate to a crawl. I had originally dropped the project because Underground Hideout was more or less what I wanted to do but already done and I was swamped with school.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a hideout theme that doesn't boil down to "Here is a mint condition vault. Enjoy." Right now I am really liking the idea of an abandoned Nevada Desert Rangers scouting outpost in the hills between Goodsprings and Primm that you could find early. It wouldn't be an underground mansion, just stuff that you'd need if you had a paramilitary outpost in a cave for three or four scouts. I'm thinking along the lines of the gun-nut basement from tremors meets Mad Max if he had a hideout. Bedroom or two, bathroom, kitchen + storage, and armory/collection room(with the UGHO's weapon rack and munition shelves). No television rooms, reactor rooms, VI simulators, no goddamn fish tank that brings the FPS to a crawl. Any other suggestions?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
For the, the perfect hideout was what I made for Morrowind - the Hall of Heroes. A place you earned through a quest that starts off small. A bed, some storage, but definitely a fixer-upper. Spend the money and do more quests to find the resources to upgrade your facility for more display space, sorters, etc. The Hall of Heroes was great because the general plot behind that was that people would pay to see your private collection of trophies, weapons, armor, etc. Obviously that wouldn't work in the Fallout world so much unless you decided to make a museum on the Strip. Which isn't a half bad idea either.

Extra props to you if you manage to make an optional plugin for your mod that has all of The Armory weapons on display :)

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Maybe instead of that I could put a derelict Gutsy in the beginner room. After you fix him up he gives you the location for schematic cards that give him the plans to make additional rooms. Each card could be a small quest of its own. An armory, storage/display, kitchen, repair and crafting, etc. Not a bad idea. I'll try a test run of something like that tonight actually. :)

As for the weapon wall + armory, the script is simple. Kind of tedious but doable with two or three days work. That said I am amazed at how many scripts the UHNV guy managed to make for that place. I've only looked under the hood of that thing back when it was just a room and a weapons wall, but good lord there are probably 70+ scripts associated with that place, most dealing with light switches and shower noises :psyduck:

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I like that too. Extra bonus points if you make him a snarky robot butler who hates humans but has to serve you due to his programming. The nice thing about voice acting there is that you can put a filter over it and it serves the purpose!

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Naky posted:

I like that too. Extra bonus points if you make him a snarky robot butler who hates humans but has to serve you due to his programming. The nice thing about voice acting there is that you can put a filter over it and it serves the purpose!

Just wanted to say, Naky, that i have been around long enough to appreciate the Hall of Heroes mod when it was fresh from the cerebellum; any mod akin to it would be aces and top of the "To Download" list. Possibly long delayed kudos, but kudos nevertheless. Most deserved Mod for Morrowind possibly ever.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I was thinking of making him a mute with a text readout. The contractors who originally bought him for building purposes discovered that 300 Gutsies saying "Come on hussle up we're behind time candyasses" got annoying and made the human workers quit so they soldered his volumn button to 0.

Also going to make him require the schematics and 2 or 3 bottles of booze before he will begin. He doesn't like people but his scanners cannot detect alcohol due to a drivers error so he cannot tell if a bottle is empty or full. For a while when he was in the Mojave he just picked up bottles and drank, but he powered down after too many failures with empty scotch bottles. Over the years he rusted until you repaired him. Now he stays at your place and builds room in exchange for occasionally sipping the vast stores of whiskey that your bogarting rear end saves up for no particular reason.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Drunken robots never get old, the FNV equivalent of Bender.

Darth Ballz posted:

Just wanted to say, Naky, that i have been around long enough to appreciate the Hall of Heroes mod when it was fresh from the cerebellum; any mod akin to it would be aces and top of the "To Download" list. Possibly long delayed kudos, but kudos nevertheless. Most deserved Mod for Morrowind possibly ever.

I didn't make the original Hall of Heroes building, but I expanded on it greatly. Looking back it was some pretty amateurish work but with the experience I have now I probably could have done so much more with it. Maybe I'll do a Skyrim equivalent... that is, if I like Skyrim. I hated Oblivion, so I didn't mod for it.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

As for the weapon wall + armory, the script is simple. Kind of tedious but doable with two or three days work. That said I am amazed at how many scripts the UHNV guy managed to make for that place. I've only looked under the hood of that thing back when it was just a room and a weapons wall, but good lord there are probably 70+ scripts associated with that place, most dealing with light switches and shower noises :psyduck:
It seems to happen to some modders. They tweak and build and build and tweak without really recognizing that they've probably done about as much as they can and after a while it just gets sort of ridiculous, like how many times Wesp's moved the magic sword in Vampire: Bloodlines. That said, I haven't really had that much of a problem with Underground Hideout because I ignore all the retarded stuff and leave anything optional turned off.

The idea of more rooms being added when you retrieve things sounds cool, and if you're still looking for ideas to tie it in lore-wise, maybe some kind of Forgotten Lucky 38/House Backup Site would work? Maybe it's just me but those terminals in the Tool Company and Camp Golf, the ones that unlocked the Lucky 38 in an older version of the quest, bother me because there's nothing tied to them and the idea of unlocking further areas reminded me of them.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
How the hell do you guys deal with Nevada Skies and its dark nights? I can't see a single thing at night and it's even more frustrating because NPCs treat it like it's bright as day. Do I have to use a mod that adds some kind of nightvision or a flashlight or is there a way to make it more reasonable?

e: And on the subject of Nevada Skies, I cranked all the weather frequencies up to max and added all the effects to the cycle but none of it ever seems to happen. Could it be a conflict or is there something else you have to do to activate it?

e2: I'll just shoehorn this in here too. I got my dude addicted to whiskey specifically but would rather it be alcohol in general, is this doable with a mod? I couldn't find anything on Nexus.

Mr.Hotkeys fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 3, 2011

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
How hard would it be to add pro wrestling moves as special melee attacks? Like say if I wanted to make it so people could whip out a DDT on a Powder Ganger or something.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

-Troika- posted:

How hard would it be to add pro wrestling moves as special melee attacks? Like say if I wanted to make it so people could whip out a DDT on a Powder Ganger or something.

I'm guessing extremely hard unless you're a very talented animator willing to learn a nearly documentless set of third party tools developed by people who don't fully understand the format? We're experimenting trying to blend the ReloadP and Attack3 or 9 animations together and it's rough, never mind animating a whole new wrestling move...

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, so much for turning my amusing mental image into reality. :(

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

So, I just switched over to using WME instead of WMX, and I have to say, I prefer it so far.

I'm still trying to figure out what purpose the Second Trigger mod for That Gun does. That's one thing WMX does better, it improves both the stats and appearance of the weapon. I'm not sure but I think WME actually reverts the stats to the pre-patch values.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 3, 2011

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

How the hell do you guys deal with Nevada Skies and its dark nights? I can't see a single thing at night and it's even more frustrating because NPCs treat it like it's bright as day. Do I have to use a mod that adds some kind of nightvision or a flashlight or is there a way to make it more reasonable?

There's a Nevada Skies add-on that lets you adjust nighttime visibility to your liking.

But I would imagine most in the thread are using the Friend of the Night perk, night vision mods (Advanced Thermal Recon Nightvision perhaps), Simple Street Lights, or some other mods (or a combination thereof) to balance out the low visibility. I use ATRN and SSL. FOOK also optionally adds night vision to power armor helmets (NCR Ranger helmets as well, IIRC).

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I'm not sure if it's Project Nevada or Fellout, but in my game, the godawful blue filter is gone from Cateye. Maybe that's true of Nevada Skies too, I dunno.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Advanced Recon Gear is probably your best bet for the Nevada Skies nights. It's not even particularly hard to find the NVGs, since a set exists as early as Primm. (The always-empty NCR tent next to the lieutenant's tent has them.)

I just wish there were more helmets that featured the NV settings. You're limited to wearing some sort of weird targeting gear over your eye, a helmet that looks like the ones that Ghosts from Starcraft wear (or the Omar from Invisible War), or Ranger helmets.

As a side-note, I was never able to figure out how to apply the NV settings to the sunglasses like I wanted to. The FNVEdit manual's section on applying scripts was basically "Go download a mod and study it until you figure it out."

Arenovalis
Dec 8, 2010

Oh, no, I said, "steamed hams." That's what I call hamburgers.

Naky posted:

Yeah, if only we had that in the pack, huh. If only...

:)

http://www.gamebanana.com/skins/44789

Feel free to convert this one if you feel like it

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Moldy Meatball posted:

So, I just switched over to using WME instead of WMX, and I have to say, I prefer it so far.

I'm still trying to figure out what purpose the Second Trigger mod for That Gun does. That's one thing WMX does better, it improves both the stats and appearance of the weapon. I'm not sure but I think WME actually reverts the stats to the pre-patch values.
Complete opposite for me. I gave WME a shot and briefly replaced it with WMX because of EVE and its day 1 WME compatibility patch and wasn't very impressed. WMX just seems so much more visually polished to me and I really like that all the mods are tagged so they're easier to find in a vendor's inventory (which works great with The Armory since TA mods also use a similar tag, keeping all the mods together).

Speaking of switching mods, I just recently replaced Nevada Skies with Western Skies and I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner. Not having an in-game configuration tool (none that I've found anyway) sucks, but I seem to be getting slightly better performance with WS without sacrificing any noticeable loss in visual quality and I love the much more vibrant sunrises and sunsets. I just wish WS had a colorful night sky add-on like NS does. I kinda miss Nevada Skies' crazy multicolored star-filled sky.

SourceElement, check out the cyborg nightvision implant the maker of Advanced Recon Gear has. When installing, you can select to use the "invisible" implant that doesn't jam the goggle into your eye socket (rendering any eyewear unequippable) and now you aren't forced to wear either of the goofy looking nightvision headset things.

Horns fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 3, 2011

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

e: And on the subject of Nevada Skies, I cranked all the weather frequencies up to max and added all the effects to the cycle but none of it ever seems to happen. Could it be a conflict or is there something else you have to do to activate it?

e2: I'll just shoehorn this in here too. I got my dude addicted to whiskey specifically but would rather it be alcohol in general, is this doable with a mod? I couldn't find anything on Nexus.

I used Advanced Stealth Gear and all of his component mods. As far as the weather settings go, load up FNVEdit and apply the filter. take a look at the Weather and World(space?) tags. You'd be surprised what mods overwrite NVSkies. I did a deep override with both of those tags and I've got NVSkies working just great. I didn't even realize that the actually clouds I was looking at weren't from NVSkies until after I got the real ones working.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Arenovalis posted:

I hadn't realized you were the author of the AKSU skin that I'm using in my Stalker mod :P

May I have permission then, or should I remove it?

--

I'm getting more and more interested in New Vegas modding. I'd like to create on single consolidated mod out of the main mods pretty much everyone uses regularly to cut down on load-order crunch and juggling.
So, what tends to be considered essential?

I was already going to include the following in it:
*No Tutorial - made by me, gets rid of the obnoxious tutorial messages at the beginning of the game since you already know how to hack computers, use vats, etc.
Available on Nexus.
*NV Quicker messages - Does as it says
*Bodypart data mod - Basically realistic health + better headshots, but takes armor into account and individually does this for all creatures
*Either no or less screen blood mod
*No auto aim
*Hellos to player disabled - keeps random people from walking up and sharing gossip with you, unless you specifically speak to them

What else should I include, and is any of the above deemed unnecessary/unwanted?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Arenovalis posted:

Hey cool, I hadn't even looked for one since I already had one done but that's definitely nicer. Sure, why not. Thanks for the heads up!

edit: oh, this is the one I have already buuuuuuut with the missing mag I needed and normal/spec maps I can convert for use. Now I can finally animate this bad boy right, yay!

Naky fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 3, 2011

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Horns posted:

SourceElement, check out the cyborg nightvision implant the maker of Advanced Recon Gear has. When installing, you can select to use the "invisible" implant that doesn't jam the goggle into your eye socket (rendering any eyewear unequippable) and now you aren't forced to wear either of the goofy looking nightvision headset things.

:aaa: I never realized that he made a mod do that stuff. Installing that thing straight off and never looking back. Combine this with the synthetic lungs cybernetic enhancement from PN and I'll never need to wear any of that headgear again! Thank you!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Personally, I just tend to stick to high ground, and, since I have max perception, keep an eye on my compass. The nights might be dark, but if you're standing still, it's still easy to spot things at a distance.

Swartz posted:

I'm getting more and more interested in New Vegas modding. I'd like to create on single consolidated mod out of the main mods pretty much everyone uses regularly to cut down on load-order crunch and juggling.

I don't think consolidating mods would be all that useful. In fact, mods tend to do the opposite of consolidation by giving configuration menus to control different functionality or, if that's not an option, splitting their functionality across smaller modules.

Swartz posted:

*Hellos to player disabled - keeps random people from walking up and sharing gossip with you, unless you specifically speak to them

Why would you do that, does patrolling the Mojave not make you wish for a nuclear winter? :v:

Jan fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 3, 2011

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Jan posted:

I don't think consolidating mods would be all that useful. In fact, mods tend to do the opposite of consolidation by giving configuration menus to control different functionality or, if that's not an option, splitting their functionality across smaller modules.

Why would you do that, does patrolling the Mojave not make you wish for a nuclear winter? :v:

I'm not against consolidating and I'd say that I'd prefer it in many cases; however, I'm a huge supporter of making mod features optional. That's why there's so many optional plugins for The Armory. We don't make the decision for you, we let YOU choose what you want to use.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Jan posted:

I don't think that'd be all that useful. Mods tend to do the opposite of consolidation, splitting their functionality across smaller modules or -- at the very least -- configurable menus.

Yeah but that's something I find very annoying about mods.

Sure it's great to have choice, but once I have a set of mods that don't update and I always use I'd rather have them all in one package. The other reason is because of how unstable things get from long load orders.

I seriously cannot understand how some of you post your mod lists and you've got like 70 mods enabled. I can't do that, I have to either scrap some or consolidate them into a single file.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
If mods are clean and done right, it shouldn't matter if you have 300 mods active or 3. The problem is that so many people mod without consideration of other people's mods or making things efficient. You can always make a merge patch too which isn't a big deal if nothing is conflicting.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Naky posted:

I'm not against consolidating and I'd say that I'd prefer it in many cases; however, I'm a huge supporter of making mod features optional. That's why there's so many optional plugins for The Armory. We don't make the decision for you, we let YOU choose what you want to use.

I was hugely impressed by the config menu used by Project Nevada. I wish modders would use common frameworks for things like configurability, like Ace did for WoW.

Swartz posted:

Yeah but that's something I find very annoying about mods.

Sure it's great to have choice, but once I have a set of mods that don't update and I always use I'd rather have them all in one package. The other reason is because of how unstable things get from long load orders.

I seriously cannot understand how some of you post your mod lists and you've got like 70 mods enabled. I can't do that, I have to either scrap some or consolidate them into a single file.

FOMM's autosort is fairly decent as a starting point, and then any subsequent mods just get grouped up together. For instance, I lump my cell modifying mods together, new equipment/outfits together, quests, and so on. Consolidating mods prevents me from organising this way, as then I have to consider that such and such mod is regrouping quests, outfits, weather or whatever.

And when all else fails, FNVEdit is wonderfully adequate at fixing any conflicts. Correcting the Lucky 38 suite reloaded to work with Interior Lighting Overhaul took me 5 minutes to figure out.

Note that I do get the occasional crashes, and they might even be caused by conflicts in my load order that I haven't picked up on. But then those are hard enough to pinpoint that they likely would still happen with consolidated mods.

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

That New Vegas trade centre that was posted last page is a huge piece of poo poo. Smaller than the images make it look, it's mostly a series of shops that sell pretty much almost everything- nearly all of them in the same room. I bought 3 "Random" items for 300 caps and ended up with an All-american, Ratslayer and AE14 Prototype.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well, you people have it your way, I'll stick to mine :P

So much for that mod then, but I have it for myself anyway.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Swartz posted:

Well, you people have it your way, I'll stick to mine :P

So much for that mod then, but I have it for myself anyway.

Release it anyway. With or without choice, I'm sure there are some people that would still appreciate it.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I just did that apply filter thing in FNVedit, and I have a ton of red poo poo everywhere. I don't even know what the gently caress. I don't know how to fix it. My game seems to run ok as far as load orders and stuff. The only thing that has recently caused some blips in the radar is the ultra HQ ini for the enhanced shaders, but I expected that to tax my system.

The funny thing is that a ton of the red filter labels are in stuff like dead money and honest hearts ESMs.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Naky posted:

Release it anyway. With or without choice, I'm sure there are some people that would still appreciate it.

Count me in as one of those who would definitely appreciate a "big" merged (and hopefully stable) mod pack. I am just returning to playing FONV again, I used to use a lot of mods and eventually I found that I was spending more time trying to get the mods to work together than actually playing the game, and after I switched my job, I simply have no time to being adjusting mods anymore so I stopped playing. :(

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Everytime I save the Lucky 38 Reloaded ESP, GECK creates a completely unrelated entry for the Followers Safehouse cell. Any idea what might be causing this?

I'm trying to find something that might be referring to that cell's FormID, but I'm not seeing anything, nor should it create an entry for the cell even if it was being referred to. I'm thinking to just chalk it up to a bug in GECK.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
What kind of conflict would cause everyone to have a white head? I know Gamebryo has some problems with mismatched skin tones for hands on occasion but this is pretty drat jarring. Anyone had this and fixed it?

e: I'm just confused because the only mods I could imagine touching that that I have are FOOK and Project Nevada and I was under the assumption they worked together flawlessly.

Actually it wasn't a mod doing it, maybe. But I fixed it by going into steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\ and editing Fallout_default.ini, setting bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles to 1

Mr.Hotkeys fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

What kind of conflict would cause everyone to have a white head? I know Gamebryo has some problems with mismatched skin tones for hands on occasion but this is pretty drat jarring. Anyone had this and fixed it?

e: I'm just confused because the only mods I could imagine touching that that I have are FOOK and Project Nevada and I was under the assumption they worked together flawlessly.

Actually it wasn't a mod doing it, maybe. But I fixed it by going into steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\ and editing Fallout_default.ini, setting bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles to 1

Archive invalidation.